Kyle Orton: Why doesn't he get a little ex-Bill love?

PromoTheRobot

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

The most inexplicable game of that era was the Raiders game. I think if we won it, we controlled our own destiny. We had that great defense that shut down a prime GB team.

and we just laid a complete egg. Sucks just thinking about it.

Great defense but just not nearly enough offense to have any realistic chance of making a run of any sort.

7 minutes ago, FireChans said:

We still could’ve went for it.

I do find it somewhat amusing that Orton is hated for sliding and living to fight another down, and fast forward near 10 years later and we are all begging Allen to slide and not try run through linebackers. 

Difference between doing it on a game ending play, and Josh doing jumping guys trying to get to the check out line in the grocery story 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Difference between doing it on a game ending play, and Josh doing jumping guys trying to get to the check out line in the grocery story 

It was at 12 min left in the second quarter of a one score game? Hardly a game ending play. 

11 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

wasn’t it without even a goodbye to teammates and coaches? I recall stories of him disappearing 

Yes, he said he had to go to a meeting and just never came back. Announced his retirement remotely. Teammates found out through media. Marrone era things 

33 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I do find it somewhat amusing that Orton is hated for sliding and living to fight another down, and fast forward near 10 years later and we are all begging Allen to slide and not try run through linebackers. 

Please don’t compare what Josh does and what Orton does. 😝

Maybe because he was crap?

23 minutes ago, FireChans said:

It was at 12 min left in the second quarter of a one score game? Hardly a game ending play. 

Yes, he said he had to go to a meeting and just never came back. Announced his retirement remotely. Teammates found out through media. Marrone era things 

I’ll admit I recalled it being second half. I’ll gladly retract that bit of comment. 

that’s right though - the “hey guys- brb” never to be seen again was top notch weird. I love oddball stories like that. People are so strange.

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

The most inexplicable game of that era was the Raiders game. I think if we won it, we controlled our own destiny. We had that great defense that shut down a prime GB team.

and we just laid a complete egg. Sucks just thinking about it.

We actually didn’t control our own destiny had we beaten Oakland. We actually would’ve missed the playoffs had we finished 10-6 by losing a tiebreaker to Baltimore. So in the end the game meant nothing 

3 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

It's abominable that I complain about our current Buffalo Bills. I can't believe I used to willingly plop myself in front of the TV to watch Kyle Freaking Orton every sunday. 

We all plopped down and watched many, many worse drought QBs than Orton. 

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

The Doug Marrone Era was such a strange time. 

It’s what you get when you conduct a “no stone unturned” search for a Head Coach that lasted 5-days in Arizona with coaches who just got fired and one token interview. 

Ken Wisenhunt

Russ Grimm

Lovie Smith 
Chip Kelly 

Doug Marrone

Hey man, at least Alex Van Pelt had that fire in his eyes when he painfully heaved 3 interceptions from his back.

I honestly forgot about Kyle Orton, and probably will again in a few days. Credit to everyone that remained a fan through those dismal times.

4 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

He wasnt a Bill he was a mercenary.   The 4th down slide showed exactly how much he cared for the organization.  One last pay day before going home for good.

It was 3rd down early in the 2nd quarter. He would’ve gotten lit up going for it. Was never a big deal to me. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, DuckyBoys said:

I liked Orton but he checked out near the end of the year We did have a passing offense and he wasnt scared to push the ball downfield  We had a ton worse

One of the greatest rants ever, even from Francesa. Mostly about the incompetent Idzik/Rex Jets, but the last few minutes are pure gold. Orton completed 10 passes for 9,000 yards!!! 

Edited by buffblue
  • Haha (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, buffblue said:

One of the greatest rants ever, even from Francesa. Mostly about the incompetent Idzik/Rex Jets, but the last few minutes are pure gold. Orton completed 10 passes for 9,000 yards!!! 

You know how long it takes a Jet receiver to get 157 yards? THFREE YEARS!!! 

• Haha (+1) 3

Someone started a big thread about adding him to the wall of fame a couple of years ago. That was pretty comical.

Look, Orton was good for a few games, and then he sucked. My theory was that Marrone's extremely conservative and overbearing coaching got to him. He went from throwing the ball down field and taking risks to playing scared, which is something that Marrone QB's always had in common. I believe he really laid into guys if they turned it over or made a mistake.

Orton was an above average QB for his career. Nothing more, nothing less. But in Bufalo he was at the tail end of his career and clearly wasn't motivated to try super hard.

The slide plays a part than his decision to retire again kinda rubbed several the wrong way. I mean he was somewhat successful and felt like we had a chance to develop something and he elected not to come back which lead to Marrone to not come back etc. Ultimately it lead to us getting McDermott and Josh Allen etc. so the wound is not as deep as it was but still there. 

11 hours ago, FireChans said:

We needed the first down. There was no living for another play.  That was it, and he surrendered.  

Allen has more than proved his toughness.  We want Allen to slide when he actually can, when there is another play. 

I find it amusing that you don’t see the difference. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

"The slide".... he was never getting the first down guys. It was the smart play. 

I think he only played 12 games didn't he? EJ started the first 4. We were 7-5 with Orton. 

12 games isn't enough to be revered.

Getting the first down or not getting it really has no bearing. It was a business decision on his part. Had he tried and failed the effort would have been remembered and appreciated. 

On Diggs long TD just last week he didn't stop. Didn't just go down. Fought through 2 guys. Point is you never know what may happen on a play. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Getting the first down or not getting it really has no bearing. It was a business decision on his part. Had he tried and failed the effort would have been remembered and appreciated. 

On Diggs long TD just last week he didn't stop. Didn't just go down. Fought through 2 guys. Point is you never know what may happen on a play. 

I don't want my QB needlessly taking hits trying to get a first down he is never getting in the 2nd Qrtrt of a must win. 

On 10/6/2023 at 9:05 AM, WhoTom said:

Nah - that was @House.

HOUSE only did that hoping that players would tuck some 'dolla bills' into it. 😁

On 10/6/2023 at 3:34 AM, BillsfaninChicago said:

While it is still in existence it should be called the Billy Joe Hobart Club.

Hobert: "Usher, may I have a program?"

Usher: "Why?! You ain't going to look at it!"

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bob in STL said:

We needed the first down. There was no living for another play.  That was it, and he surrendered.  

Allen has more than proved his toughness.  We want Allen to slide when he actually can, when there is another play. 

I find it amusing that you don’t see the difference. 

What do you mean, that was it? It was the second quarter. We scored a field goal.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

You never know what may happen on a play also includes bad things.

Orton gets his head taken off and fumbled and he’d be crushed. You know it to be true

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.