Dorsey & game management

WIDE LEFT

You have to wonder if Dorsey is auditioning for a HC job, or is he completely clueless about game/clock management. Raiders game - less than 9 minutes remaining in 4th quarter and Bills with a 21 point lead. The math is clear - it’s virtually impossible for Vegas to score 3 tds in the time left. Bills could run 3 times every possession, go 3 & out each time and their simply would not be enough time left for Vegas to tie this game. The ONLY way to lose is to throw a pic or QB sack fumble. What does Dorsey do? First down Allen passes and is INTERCEPTED. But a lucky penalty negates the turnover. He then continues to throw the ball all over the field. 

With an even bigger lead in the 4th quarter against Washington he does the same thing - multiple passes - completely unnecessary and reckless.

On to the Dolphins game . Huge lead again in 4th quarter. First and goal at the 9. Dorsey, (auditioning?) calls for a designated QB run. Why? Yes I know he scored. But what about the entire concept of Allen not taking unnecessary hits?  A QB draw from the 9 in the crowded red zone almost always results in a significant hit. Why put Allen at risk when u have a huge lead late in 4th quarter? Why show that play to future opponents? Just as mindlessly reckless as throwing the ball all over the field late in the 4th quarter with big leads. Unless you have a HC agenda.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 9
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Dislike 1

First off, you do realize the Allen QB run last week was an audible made by Josh at the line, right? Maybe Josh is auditioning for a HC job?

Second...maybe when your QB leads the NFL in completion percentage it's not the risk you make it out to be to throw the ball. 

You're actually complaining that Dorsey kept the offense humming with a lead rather than pack it in and roll conservative. Literally everything you point out is basically "Hey, look, I know these decisions worked out well....but...."

There is definitely an agenda in play here. But it's not by Dorsey. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, WIDE LEFT said:

You have to wonder if Dorsey is auditioning for a HC job, or is he completely clueless about game/clock management. Raiders game - less than 9 minutes remaining in 4th quarter and Bills with a 21 point lead. The math is clear - it’s virtually impossible for Vegas to score 3 tds in the time left. Bills could run 3 times every possession, go 3 & out each time and their simply would not be enough time left for Vegas to tie this game. The ONLY way to lose is to throw a pic or QB sack fumble. What does Dorsey do? First down Allen passes and is INTERCEPTED. But a lucky penalty negates the turnover. He then continues to throw the ball all over the field. 

With an even bigger lead in the 4th quarter against Washington he does the same thing - multiple passes - completely unnecessary and reckless.

On to the Dolphins game . Huge lead again in 4th quarter. First and goal at the 9. Dorsey, (auditioning?) calls for a designated QB run. Why? Yes I know he scored. But what about the entire concept of Allen not taking unnecessary hits?  A QB draw from the 9 in the crowded red zone almost always results in a significant hit. Why put Allen at risk when u have a huge lead late in 4th quarter? Why show that play to future opponents? Just as mindlessly reckless as throwing the ball all over the field late in the 4th quarter with big leads. Unless you have a HC agenda.

Really?  You don't seem to know what you are watching.  On the Allen TD, it was not a designed run, Allen had an option to run if the defense looked a certain way.  It did, and Allen walked in untouched because he knows what he is doing.  But we need to complain I suppose.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I thought that TD run was an RPO and Josh just selected to keep it. Great play because he practically walked into the endzone. 

I do think the play against the Raiders was pretty boneheaded, though. All that was needed to win, was eat clock.  The interception gave them an opportunity to get right back in the game. Unfortunately for them, the Bills defense forced another turnover just a couple of plays later.

Edited by Rockinon

No I didn’t know it was an audible and I don’t believe you have that inside knowledge either. But let’s concede that it was an audible. Your QB should not be allowed to audible in that situation. Sometimes you have to protect Allen from himself. He opened himself up to a huge and completely unnecessary hit. And showed off to future opponents a great play design.

I am not at all surprised by the responses here. Basically “ everything worked out so what’s your problem”. That’s fine UNTIL everything doesn’t work out. The Allen 4th quarter interception with a big lead isn’t always going to get wiped out by a penalty. Reckless clock & game management will come back to bite you in the playoffs. You haven’t seen the Bills in the past fail to drill down on these type of issues in the past. Like 13 seconds? Yes everything fine, until it isn’t. 

• Disagree 10
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

12 minutes ago, WIDE LEFT said:

I guess you can’t deal with prosperity without criticism. When we dominated the NFL with the K-Gun offense from 88 to 94 we went no huddle and kept trying to score until the final gun. The play calling is predicated on what Dorsey sees  the defense is giving us, including the river parting for a Josh draw. I thought Dorsey was learning on the job last year and opening night was reminiscent of that. His performance since has been better every week and finally we have a run option and Kincaid is being brought into the mix. Josh has far less designed runs and we’re scoring over 30 every game. Diggs is getting targeted on single coverage and the new guys(Sherfield, Harty) are contributing. What are you complaining about?

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, WIDE LEFT said:

No I didn’t know it was an audible and I don’t believe you have that inside knowledge either. But let’s concede that it was an audible. Your QB should not be allowed to audible in that situation. Sometimes you have to protect Allen from himself. He opened himself up to a huge and completely unnecessary hit. And showed off to future opponents a great play design.

I am not at all surprised by the responses here. Basically “ everything worked out so what’s your problem”. That’s fine UNTIL everything doesn’t work out. The Allen 4th quarter interception with a big lead isn’t always going to get wiped out by a penalty. Reckless clock & game management will come back to bite you in the playoffs. You haven’t seen the Bills in the past fail to drill down on these type of issues in the past. Like 13 seconds? Yes everything fine, until it isn’t. 

Your post is about offensive game management.

So In the 13 seconds game…. you are saying the offence left too much time on the clock when they scored?..

Edited by BillsFan130
  • Haha (+1) 1

Seriously?  This board sometimes.  WE WON!!! We beat the crap out of the #1 team.  Josh Allen is tied for most passing TD's and #1 in completion %.   Right now the kid is Steave freaking Young in his prime!

My Grandpa had sayings for this,and only 1 can be posted here...trust me..

"Some people would b$#@! If hung with a new rope".

Edited by SoonerBillsFan
  • Haha (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, WIDE LEFT said:

There are 2 plays broken down here. The second play is the QB draw. 

It's hardly "inside info" that the play was an audible.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, WIDE LEFT said:

I think it’s much simpler than this idea. We are making a statement and culture change. We go 100% the whole game and once our foot is on your throat it never leaves.   

Bills are here to win the whole damn thing and not just the off-season and regular season. 

we have the same attitude on defense also. Which I love to see 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WIDE LEFT said:

Perhaps it is because on balance Allen will win those matchups far more often than not?

2 hours ago, WIDE LEFT said:

I wasn't scared when I woke up this morning.  Now I am.  Real nice. 

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, WIDE LEFT said:

I think Allen checked into this based on the hat count on that side of the field.  

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

9 minutes a few timeouts and the 2 minute warning is plenty of time to score multiple tds if the team with the lead goes three and out a few times 

I feel like the "4 minute offense" has to have passes in it.  They're going to be attacking the run game and trying to punch the ball out.  Behind that there's opportunity for yards and more plays if you pass.  

• Agree 1

I used to OC for a High School team, which is not the same, but it's not nothing.  You win games by scoring more points than the other team and when the game feels like it is probably out of reach it is usually best to make damn sure it is out of reach.  Might as well score again and make sure. Every. Single. Time.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, WIDE LEFT said:

So its true some fans will complain about a blow out victory, bet you will do the same about a super bowl win…, 

And here I was thinking winning by 28+ points was a good thing. Thanks for opening my eyes to the truth.

• Like (+1) 1

I can't remember for sure who it was who broke it down, I think it was Baldy, but Josh basically looked up saw he had a hat on a hat on the right side (1 blocker for every defender) and he's Josh ***** Allen so he called his number and waltzed in. And no, nobody would ever question Josh making that decision because even if he somehow ended up getting that wrong he could just eat it burn more clock and have two more downs to get it in. Worst case we don't punch it in down there and settle for a FG, which we already had a big lead so who cares.

Edited by Warcodered
Nope guess it was broken down by Acho
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, GustheDog33 said:

I used to OC for a High School team, which is not the same, but it's not nothing.  You win games by scoring more points than the other team and when the game feels like it is probably out of reach it is usually best to make damn sure it is out of reach.  Might as well score again and make sure. Every. Single. Time.

So as the high school OC, you never had your team run clock, never had your QB take a knee because after all you wanted to score every, single, time.  No wonder high school wax as far as you got

• Dislike 1

17 minutes ago, WIDE LEFT said:

So as the high school OC, you never had your team run clock, never had your QB take a knee because after all you wanted to score every, single, time.  No wonder high school wax as far as you got

Seriously no reason to attack me or my time coaching ball.  You have no idea how my teams did. Maybe we won a ton of games and scored a ton of points?  I didn't get to be in that position because I wasn't able and I didn't leave that position because I "fired." Sorry people disagree with you and your take.  But, when you put your opinions out there, you might get people responding who disagree.  Its the way it goes.  I didn't come after you or your character, but it seems you must be a joy to be around.

We did run out the clock when the game was out of reach, as I mentioned, but if we weren’t sure it was out of reach for the opponent we kept the pedal down.  Why wouldn't you?  

Have a great day.

Edited by GustheDog33
Clarification
  • Like (+1) 3

On 10/4/2023 at 7:57 AM, WIDE LEFT said:

You have passed your audition.

jester hat.jpg

• Haha (+1) 5

Virtually impossible isn't impossible.  In a 3 score game with that much time left I'd probably just try and move the ball a little and let the clock trickle down.  Inside 4-5 minutes?  Sure, run it every play.  But I'm not 

We were up 16-0 in the 4th quarter with 12 minutes remaining the last time we ran a pass play against Washington.  That is a two score game with 12 minutes left, you aren't really running clock there.  

We were up 28 in the 4th quarter against miami and ran 2 passing plays.  The run play in the red zone (to go up 28) is not a draw, its a read-option.  He has 3 blockers and the back (plus allen). Miami had 4 players on that side of the offensive line.  You watch the one linebacker to see if he follows the back (he did), and you pull the ball and its 3x3 plus allen... hence walk in score.  

39 minutes ago, WIDE LEFT said:

So you insult the guy who has significantly more football knowledge than you, to prove your point? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, WIDE LEFT said:

And when you advance past "bad take on a message board", we will be sure to send over that cookie 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

and yet we have the 2nd best offense in the league and arguably our QB is playing at his absolute best. Seriously the people that criticize Dorsey sound like they'll never be happy despite him being arguably one of the best OC's in the NFL. 

7 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Emmanuel Acho is developing into a Baldy level play analyzer.

He really is. The best part about the way Acho breaks down film is the way he takes the time to explain things. He did a breakdown on the punt return that ended the Jets game that was phenomenal. You don't see a lot of special teams play breakdowns. 

On 10/4/2023 at 8:20 AM, WIDE LEFT said:

Were you dropped repeatedly on your head as a child?

• Haha (+1) 1

We just destroyed the previous #1 offense 48-20, and you bring this up?

please go back to youre own fan site as you’re not a Bills fan.

We are #2 in pts scored, and #2 in pts against.  Yeah we suck.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I felt like Dorsey used the Raiders game to sharpen the execution of the offense.    I do believe that part of the issue in the Jets game was the fact that the offense hadn't played much live football together yet.    So I had no problem with them throwing the ball around in a blowout against a team that had little or no chance of coming back.

And yeah I don't believe that QB run was the initial call.   The sea just parted so he ran in.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.