Brandon Beane…..you have to bring in a Corner.

Beast

Can’t always just expect guys not even playing to go out and keep the play at a high level. There will be a drop off especially in big games. You lose your best you try to bring in a talent better than an inactive on game day guy. If you can’t oh well. But you at least look. 

Steelers traded for Mincah Fitzpatrick from the Dolphins in season.  Completely changed and turned around their D.  

Of course Roquon to Baltimore.  

Chubb to Miami - tho not sure what he does.  

There will be teams by the end of the month going fire sale (by NFL standards) to get a top ten pick.    

Look under every rock for a CB that fits what we do.   

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, DC Greg said:

I agree with all of this, except that Tre hadn’t been back to his old self. He was pretty incredible so far this year. He was playing great again today. Just devastating that he won’t have the opportunity to keep it up.

I thought Tre was really starting to hit his stride. I felt like come playoff time he'd be a force in the secondary. Tough blow for the team, players, and fans. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I thought Tre was really starting to hit his stride. I felt like come playoff time he'd be a force in the secondary. Tough blow for the team, players, and fans. 

Yea he was okay weeks 1 and 2 but he was exceptional last week and having a monster game yesterday. So gutted for him. 

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea he was okay weeks 1 and 2 but he was exceptional last week and having a monster game yesterday. So gutted for him. 

Yup. Pick last week.  Near pick 6 this week,  tremendous coverage. Freaking stinks but Dane and Benford are very capable.  It's cliche but this D truly strives off guys doing their 1/11th and our communication  , i.q and confidence are off the charts right now 

• Like (+1) 1

They have Kyran Brown and Jamarcus Ingram on the PS....like you said Elam will now dress.  I dont think they have to panic and find some veteran...they like Bendford, we know what Dane Jackson can do, Elam graded well when he played last year...they are deep there.  I think it is possible for  Tre to IR, Von Miller to the 53 for now.  They have practice squad call ups available too if they need that.

One player I couldnt believe in FA that was signed so late and may be in a situation where he signed to be traded at deadline, is Marcus Peters.  I thought he had a pretty decent year thus far in a pretty bad Raiders D.  I love his attitude too.  Feel like he would fit this team's personality.

Talk in Pitt about wanting to go to Porter Jr, Levi may be available soon.

I think you roll the next few weeks with what we have, and see what happens at deadline.

We know how this team develops Cornerbacks.  There will probably be some drop-off in secondary play.  But if we keep getting the same kind of pass rush we've gotten the first 4 games, this defense will be totally fine without Tre White.

Dane Jackson steps back into the starting lineup.  Kaiir Elam becomes the first off the bench.  JaMarcus Ingram gets called up to the main roster.  A veteran gets signed off the streets.

More than worried about the team, I'm more heartbroken for White as a person.  All that work to get himself back.  The last few weeks, he's been looking like himself again.  It just doesn't seem fair.

22 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree although I wonder if they will just give that spot to Von? Otherwise they gotta cut a DL.... and are they ready to cut bait with Ford?

They might just go Benford, Elam and Jackson with Cam Lewis and Siran Neal as their emergency depth. If someone else went down THEN they'd have to bring in a DB.

Wouldn't they cut Kingsley Jonathan? He hasn't gotten a ton of snaps and they could add him back to the practice squad.

The Bills could elevate Ja’Marcus Ingram at CB. He looked pretty good in the preseason for the Bills. Then find a vet to sign to the practice squad to get up to speed.

12 minutes ago, Beast said:

So, if Beane does trade for a Corner are you guys going to disagree with him doing so the way you have disagreed with me bringing up he should do just that?

Trading for one would be very surprising to me. But anything is possible.

I'm going on a limb and saying no splash move ...

Beane and McDermott are wayyy more confident in their DBs than you are... 

Playing DB in this system is as much awareness and continuity as it is talent ... the best players this season for our system will be coming in house ... you can't teach years of awareness in the system unfortunately

Jackson benford elam..  and jamarcus Ingram prolly coming up as the 4th outside guy

7 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

I think you should get a ban for a week for even mentioning Ca….nope, can’t even type his name without throwing up in my mouth 🤮🤮🤮

Cam Lewis is one of the best back end roster players in the NFL

You're not finding many 50th guys on rosters that steady

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think we’re fine as long as Benford, Jackson and Elam stay healthy.  I like Ingram on the ps.  Just bring in another 1-2 guys to learn system in case another 2 guys get hurt

I wouldn’t trade anyone on the DL. Injuries are bound to happen.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I'm going on a limb and saying no splash move ...

Beane and McDermott are wayyy more confident in their DBs than you are... 

Playing DB in this system is as much awareness and continuity as it is talent ... the best players this season for our system will be coming in house ... you can't teach years of awareness in the system unfortunately

Jackson benford elam..  and jamarcus Ingram prolly coming up as the 4th outside guy

Cam Lewis is one of the best back end roster players in the NFL

You're not finding many 50th guys on rosters that steady

The one that is intriguing to me is Levi Wallace. Unsure if he’s even available but somebody mentioned him earlier. Prorated today he is about $3M.

It’s his last year under contract. I wouldn’t give up much of anything. Maybe a 5th for a rental?

Otherwise I totally agree with you. 

Just now, Mango said:

The one that is intriguing to me is Levi Wallace. Unsure if he’s even available but somebody mentioned him earlier. Prorated today he is about $3M.

It’s his last year under contract. I wouldn’t give up much of anything. Maybe a 5th for a rental?

Otherwise I totally agree with you. 

I don't think they're willing to give up a fifth round pick.. they took benford in the 6th ... Dane Jackson round 7... taron round 4

I think McDermott fully believes his scheme gets the best out of guys.. I think hed rather have that fifth round pick to draft a CB in the draft cheap

They developed Levi as an UDFA.. McDermott can do it with Ingram... he just wasn't thrusted into playing like Levi 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don't think they're willing to give up a fifth round pick.. they took benford in the 6th ... Dane Jackson round 7... taron round 4

I think McDermott fully believes his scheme gets the best out of guys.. I think hed rather have that fifth round pick to draft a CB in the draft cheap

They developed Levi as an UDFA.. McDermott can do it with Ingram... he just wasn't thrusted into playing like Levi 

Levi's been up and down this year, with some big time downs. Would not recommend him coming back.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Beast said:

So, if Beane does trade for a Corner are you guys going to disagree with him doing so the way you have disagreed with me bringing up he should do just that?

I am going to continue to trust that Brandon Beane knows more than any fan which he keeps proving time and time again with his incredible track record of turning this formerly 17 years of poverty franchise into a perennial contender. Whatever Beane does will be in the best interests of the team after thorough consultation with his head coach. If they want/need more depth at corner, he'll get it. If it makes more sense to roll with the guys they have, he'll do that. And I won't worry one bit.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Wouldn't they cut Kingsley Jonathan? He hasn't gotten a ton of snaps and they could add him back to the practice squad.

The Bills could elevate Ja’Marcus Ingram at CB. He looked pretty good in the preseason for the Bills. Then find a vet to sign to the practice squad to get up to speed.

I think they believe Jonathan would be snatched up. That is why they didn't dare cut him. I think they really like his potential. 

I think what they will likely just go with what they have, it won't mean any fewer guys up on game day. If they need to bring someone up agree Ingram makes sense but I think they'd only elevate him for a game if they need him.

I agree with the 'Let's give Elam a chance' crowd, but the coaches know best. They know what works and they see Elam in every practice. That said, we do need to add another CB to fill out the position group, but I don't know if we could afford a starting caliber CB or if there's even anyone available. I see us favoring CB & DE in the next draft. Von's returning to practice, but he's not getting any younger. Unless Elam just balls out, I think CB comes first in priority. OL and WR will have to take a back seat.

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think they believe Jonathan would be snatched up. That is why they didn't dare cut him. I think they really like his potential. 

I think what they will likely just go with what they have, it won't mean any fewer guys up on game day. If they need to bring someone up agree Ingram makes sense but I think they'd only elevate him for a game if they need him.

Eventually they will have to make a move on the dline. I don't think it makes much sense to carry so many for the rest of the season once Von is back.

They are going to have to see what Elam can give them short term. If there is one truly “plug and play” position on the defense it is CB. As great as Tre is I actually trust McD to get Dane, Benford and Elam to play well on the boundary.

As far as longer term getting another body on the roster is going to probably come from the PS. If they need help I suspect they go with a smaller move at CB and not a big splash

Edited by billsfan89

The talent on the boundary isn’t any different than what other contenders like KC, CIN (?), BAL, MIA etc have.

Miami gets Ramsey back,  but we’ll see what he even is later this year.  I’m not sold he’ll be much of a difference maker for them at any point this year.  

Im not opposed to flipping a pick for a piece before the deadline, but I’d hope we have what we need in house, given what we’ve seen in Benford/Jackson and the traits of Elam. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Then the cut is Poona Ford.

I'd cut Jonathan, personally. Especially since Phillips is a ticking injury time bomb at DT. Poona Ford is good insurance for when that happens.

34 minutes ago, MJS said:

Eventually they will have to make a move on the dline. I don't think it makes much sense to carry so many for the rest of the season once Von is back.

It’s also KINGSLEY JONATHAN. It’s like a Madden Create a Player. He’s a million to one shot to ever be a starter at the NFL level. I know he beat out Boogie, but that’s more damning of Boogie, personally.

Nah. No one they can bring in right now is going to be better than the Jackson/Benford starting combo, with Elam as depth.

JaMarcus Ingram will also likely be elevated to the 53-man roster, and a new corner will be signed to the practice squad.

If they want to try to go out and get a vet like Patrick Peterson, I wouldn't HATE it, but I don't think it's necessary, and I don't think said player is likely to be any better than the in-house options.

Lastly, this is a huge chance for Elam. 1st round pick, second season, about to be active for the first time this year out of necessity, has shown flashes in the past, has all the physical talent (and, apparently, the drive and work ethic) to succeed. It's now or never. A HUGE chance for the kid.

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

It’s also KINGSLEY JONATHAN. It’s like a Madden Create a Player. He’s a million to one shot to ever be a starter at the NFL level. I know he beat out Boogie, but that’s more damning of Boogie, personally.

Yeah, he's been on our practice squad a lot. I don't think there is some huge demand out there for him. He has looked decent, though.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.