Terrel Bernard Appreciation Thread

Rigotz

52 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

To be fair, Bernard was a healthy scratch in the divisional game last year. The coaches gave him less and less snaps after his starting opportunity against the Jets until he wasn't even on the gameday roster. Then in training camp he had lost the job to Dodson and then suffered a hamstring injury that kept him out of the preseason. Nobody in their right mind thought he was going to take over the job and suddenly start lighting it up. Mostly I was just hoping to get replacement level play from that position. I would bet if you asked McDermott in confidence even he'd admit to bring surprised by Bernard's play. Out of nowhere he is playing like a superstar.

I Imagine perhaps we could have seen some of this last year if he was given more opportunity. Idk maybe it was too much year 1, but maybe McD is too punitive when a player makes a mistake. Anyways he wasn't going to unseat Edmonds anyway. I'm just happy to see him flying around the ball like he is. 

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

@PBF81

Can you not give this man his love?

He's been great, but he also missed a couple of tackles today and I'm still far from sold on "in traffic" plays.  

He's a great cover LB and was coming in.  He's fast and was coming in. 

I'd like to see more in terms of UTM run stoppage.  The Skins ran outside a lot today.  Of the few plays they did run UTM he got pushed around some.  

Right now it's our pass-rush and DL that's doing the heavy lifting.  JMO  

i.e., so far "the process" is working.  

LOL 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, AuntieEm said:

Mabe not but I certainly was wise enough not to disparage Bernard as our starting MLB.  I certainly wasn't expecting such a solid start to his handling that position especially with no real preseasoning.  He's just ready to serve right out of the box.  It's gonna be fun as we watch Milano and Bernard duke it out to see who can impact the games more each week.

I got ya. I liked the Bernard pick and have always been a fan, but then I saw you post the same thing multiple times… I first thought I somehow scrolled back up and was re-reading posts, then I realized you were copying and pasting. I thought I was in the matrix and was having Deja Vu multiple times, lol

2 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

He's been great, but he also missed a couple of tackles today and I'm still far from sold on "in traffic" plays.  

He's a great cover LB and was coming in.  He's fast and was coming in. 

I'd like to see more in terms of UTM run stoppage.  The Skins ran outside a lot today.  Of the few plays they did run UTM he got pushed around some.  

Right now it's our pass-rush and DL that's doing the heavy lifting.  JMO  

i.e., so far "the process" is working.  

LOL 

Of course the DL is doing the heavy lifting…that’s always the case.  If your linebackers aren’t kept clean, they aren’t as effective.  Even Ray Lewis needed to be kept clean.

He’s been good vs the run.  He’s been instinctive, hits the hole fast which is why his run stops depth is good.  He’s up there with Milano in that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Of course the DL is doing the heavy lifting…that’s always the case.  If your linebackers aren’t kept clean, they aren’t as effective.  Even Ray Lewis needed to be kept clean.

He’s been good vs the run.  He’s been instinctive, hits the hole fast which is why his run stops depth is good.  He’s up there with Milano in that.

He'll hit the hole fast, yes, I've noticed that, but have you noticed that he essentially bounces off of blockers routinely?   I noticed a couple of those plays today too.  

They didn't run much today, I can recall two plays that they did, both for big gains, I have no idea where he was on them, but maybe they're in the review. 

You know my position, he's fine except as a run defender UTM, which will come into play at times this season, even if it didn't today.  It wasn't much different the first two weeks either.  

I'll try to dig up at least those couple of plays from the highlights, which will probably be on the reel.  

I'm content with our play overall as a team, so far, very happy.  Not much to complain about.  

I'm concerned about next week.  

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

He'll hit the hole fast, yes, I've noticed that, but have you noticed that he essentially bounces off of blockers routinely?   I noticed a couple of those plays today too.  

They didn't run much today, I can recall two plays that they did, both for big gains, I have no idea where he was on them, but maybe they're in the review. 

You know my position, he's fine except as a run defender UTM, which will come into play at times this season, even if it didn't today.  It wasn't much different the first two weeks either.  

I'll try to dig up at least those couple of plays from the highlights, which will probably be on the reel.  

I'm content with our play overall as a team, so far, very happy.  Not much to complain about.  

I'm concerned about next week.  

You spent all off-season developing the argument that Beane was reckless and incompetent for not planning ahead for the absence of Edmunds. They should have had a plan. So, naturally, you're going to find whatever holes in his game you can. There's not much chance you will acknowledge Bernard was in any manner an effective and reasonable plan. If it works out, it was sheer luck I guess. Miami is a challenge for anyone right now. I sorta like that we have a MLB with instincts to add to a suddenly very effective DL. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Thus Haloti Ngata and Kelly Gregg.

15 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

OK, you're reasonable here, I'll reply to you.  

Here are today's highlights, and I've noticed similar in our other two games.  Specific examples in the UTM run game, I'll ask you, what do you see from him?   

4:30  

4:50, good read?  That was his play to make.  

6:15  

Those are the kinds of plays that I'm referring to.  Most of his tackles are on receptions or comb tackles otherwise where he's not the primary.  I pointed that out last week.  

He's a solid player, I never argued otherwise, I still say that he'll be out of place next week, for example, if Miami runs like they did today.  You'll notice the liability that he'll be if they do.  

Again, and I can't stress this enough and never took issue with it, but his pass-rush and coverage abilities appear to be tight and were touted coming in.  

Not sure why I have to admit that he's stout on UTM runs when he's not, ... or hasn't been anyway.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXkyPkOEA0E

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

OK, you're reasonable here, I'll reply to you.  

Here are today's highlights, and I've noticed similar in our other two games.  Specific examples in the UTM run game, I'll ask you, what do you see from him?   

4:30  

4:50, good read?  That was his play to make.  

6:15  

Those are the kinds of plays that I'm referring to.  Most of his tackles are on receptions or comb tackles otherwise where he's not the primary.  I pointed that out last week.  

He's a solid player, I never argued otherwise, I still say that he'll be out of place next week, for example, if Miami runs like they did today.  You'll notice the liability that he'll be if they do.  

Again, and I can't stress this enough and never took issue with it, but his pass-rush and coverage abilities appear to be tight and were touted coming in.  

Not sure why I have to admit that he's stout on UTM runs when he's not, ... or hasn't been anyway.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXkyPkOEA0E

Picking a few plays here and there doesn’t prove anything unless its consistent.  He is not going to grade 100% in any game.

He probably played 60 snaps today.  

He’s been very good and certainly not a liability in the run game like you claimed he would be.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, maddenboy said:

and doesnt it feel like, in some ways, he decided not to be a playmaker? 

I mean, that's part of the frustration.  We keep thinking of all the things Tremaine could be doing.   If only . . . .

"dude.  . . . You were standing RIGHT THERE!   . . . wtf Tremaine?"

It seemed like he had a limit to how much injury risk he was going to take.   Like he had some higher responsibility (to family?) to not risk a second contract.

It's indeed an unwillingness to play all out.  Ì think some if these 2nd gen nflers seem to play the game entirely as just a job and not particularly do they seem to enjoy it.  Felt Zay Jones had similar lack of hunger having been touted as one of the most pro ready draftees in his class.  

Seems one of the Edmunds brothers got cut or traded from Pittsburgh could be lack of nax effort there too.  All 3 train under the guidance if their mom. Who was dome athletevin college so guess that's all they think is needed to play pro football....   well Maine may get some other team to try to get the best from him after bears dump him.  They know what an elite lb looks like having had Urlacher so tremainebisnt gonna be a bear long if he can't upgrade his play.

Maybe that was his goal all along.  Get the big 2nd contract t hen quit after to never need work again.

3 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

I laughed when the excuses for Edmunds not making any plays was that “he had too much on his plate/it’s not his job/he doesn’t play the same position as Milano, doesn’t have the same freedom to roam.” No, he just wasn’t a playmaker. Bernard undoubtedly has a nose for the football and is making the plays our last LB could not. 

Milano is better now, with Bernard next to him.

22 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

You spent all off-season developing the argument that Beane was reckless and incompetent for not planning ahead for the absence of Edmunds. They should have had a plan. So, naturally, you're going to find whatever holes in his game you can. There's not much chance you will acknowledge Bernard was in any manner an effective and reasonable plan. If it works out, it was sheer luck I guess. Miami is a challenge for anyone right now. I sorta like that we have a MLB with instincts to add to a suddenly very effective DL. 

He doesn’t know what he’s talking about…he’s going to cling to his original opinion because of the volume of criticism he gave this position.

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

Picking a few plays here and there doesn’t prove anything unless its consistent.  He is not going to grade 100% in any game.

He probably played 60 snaps today.  

He’s been very good and certainly not a liability in the run game like you claimed he would be.

You didn't even watch them.  SMH 

I think it does since my criticism of him is specific to those types of plays.  

I mean if this is all about you "being right," let me save you the time and agree, you can be right.  

I see what I see, and I don't see a LB that's stout in the middle against the run.  

Now, I suppose that it's quite possible that that issue doesn't haunt us all season, or in the playoffs, for unlikely that is, so maybe McD's figured out a way to all but work it out of the equation. 

You asked me a question, I answered it, I even provided a few specifica instances, which frankly were all that were available today as the Skins didn't run the ball all that much and most of their runs were off-tackle or end runs.  

I don't know what else I'm supposed to do or say here.  

And yes, he is a liability in the running game.  It's simply that it's not particularly noticeable due to our DL play and the support from the Ss, etc., and due to the fact that the last two weeks have been blowouts.  

I'm not going to come and hammer on you or others that argued with me on this, not sure why that's everyone's MO, "to be right."  

I'm happy with this game, enjoying the aftermath of the win, happy that the O is coming together as I'd thought and hoped, but concerned about next week, particularly given how our last two home games against Miami were, once with Skylar Thompson, both nearly ending in losses.  

Again, if Miami plays like they did today in their running game, if Bernard helps prevent that next week, then I will begin to change my mind.  Not seeing it however.  His best plays are rushing the passer and in coverage.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He doesn’t know what he’s talking about…he’s going to cling to his original opinion because of the volume of criticism he gave this position.

Well, I see that weakness in the run game is where he is anchoring his criticism. I'm sure a smaller LB will have some issues there. What I don't quite get is how Edmunds' loss could become the key to an argument at the position if being a liability in the run game is the criteria. I sure don't recall the fella focusing on it all summer in the endless posts about LB. Regardless, Edmunds' specialty is getting dragged for three or four yards before making a stop on a rb, so I don't see how that is a stellar floor that Bernard will struggle to match.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

LOL   Of course not, despite my having gone through video and PBP to validate it in the past.  And again, of the three plays that I cited, you didn't even watch them.  No one in their right mind would disagree with me on those.  "Right mind" is key here.  

This is one of those things that when the situation arises, people are going to lose their minds here and get apoplectic about due to the shortsighted perceptions that they've generated in thieir minds.  I'd put money on it.  LOL  It's real comedy too the back-n-forth of the moods here.  

BTW, in other news, I've enjoyed the way we've played, haven't had any criticisms generally speaking.  But let's also keep in mind here that of the three teams we've played thus far, all three are likely to be among the worst five or six on the schedule, and not one posted a winning record last season, and not one featured an above-average QB.  

Again, our schedule starts getting into the tougher games next week.  Our defense isn't going to play like that every week.  

I have a feeling that next week you'll either be complaining about Bernard at MLB or biting your tongue and staying silent.  Let's hope that's not the case, but if it is, presumably you'll understand what I'm referring to.  Simply because it wasn't all that noticeable because Washington didn't run much and few times UTM, and because our offense ran away with it off of turnovers in the 2nd half doesn't mean it won't be an issue.  

GO BILLS!!!  

I'm pretty sure that there was a lesson in last season after we beat similar teams the Rams and Titans, and the world, including us, thought that we were unstoppable.  

• Eyeroll 1

10 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Well, I see that weakness in the run game is where he is anchoring his criticism. I'm sure a smaller LB will have some issues there. What I don't quite get is how Edmunds' loss could become the key to an argument at the position if being a liability in the run game is the criteria. I sure don't recall the fella focusing on it all summer in the endless posts about LB. Regardless, Edmunds' specialty is getting dragged for three or four yards before making a stop on a rb, so I don't see how that is a stellar floor that Bernard will struggle to match.

Bernard will have times he’s washed away from the play or gets blown up.  Especially if the OL get to the second level.

But over the course of the game, were the mostly effective or mostly non-effective.

A few plays here or there doesn’t prove a point.

Bernard is playing very well so far.  We have a lot more of the season to declare him good or not.

• Like (+1) 2

I criticized Bernard and his size relentlessly.  So far he is making me look silly ( no hard feat). Hope he keeps making plays. He is so much more instinctual as a player compared to Edmunds. Especially when he blitzes. Edmunds would run right at the guard. Bernard is taking angles and shooting through gaps.

I still worry about his size if some team commits to running the ball. But so far he has been a revelation. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

I don’t think Edmunds ever had the kind of game Bernard had today

No he never did in 5 full seasons. We just got used to the fact that Tremaine rarely generated splash plays. Today's performance by Terrell was ridiculous and extremely encouraging. Hope he continues to improve. Take a look at Edmunds stat line today compared to 43.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This kid is a straight playmaker. You can’t teach the instinct he has for the ball. Will he get overpowered on some runs? Probably. But his ability to create turnovers and big plays in space far outweighs that. He can turn a game with his play. What an eye for defensive/coverage talent McD has!

• Like (+1) 2

I’m definitely eating crow on Bernard and for the FO for drafting him to begin with. To echo what many have said, I still think he could be a liability of some team decides to run it all over us. But his coverage ability as well as his blitzing, and knack for being around the ball seems to outweigh it. He will get overpowered at times but u like Edmund’s he actually looks for angles and holes around the blockers instead of just plowing right into them. I was no fan of Edmunds either. Especially at the price tag that he was asking for. 

not saying it’s going to surely be the case for the whole season. We’ll see as the season goes on and teams start looking at Bernard and his weaknesses. But it’s looking like a solid pick and like, along with many others, we’re way off on this guy. 

keep balling out TB 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Bernard will have times he’s washed away from the play or gets blown up.  Especially if the OL get to the second level.

But over the course of the game, were the mostly effective or mostly non-effective.

A few plays here or there doesn’t prove a point.

Bernard is playing very well so far.  We have a lot more of the season to declare him good or not.

You allude to a very valid point.  Bernard has been able to play well because the DL is playing well and keeping the LBs clean.

If Bernard were having to get off blocks from the OL every play he’d not be able to make the plays he’s making

37 minutes ago, mrags said:

I’m definitely eating crow on Bernard and for the FO for drafting him to begin with. To echo what many have said, I still think he could be a liability of some team decides to run it all over us. But his coverage ability as well as his blitzing, and knack for being around the ball seems to outweigh it. He will get overpowered at times but u like Edmund’s he actually looks for angles and holes around the blockers instead of just plowing right into them. I was no fan of Edmunds either. Especially at the price tag that he was asking for. 

not saying it’s going to surely be the case for the whole season. We’ll see as the season goes on and teams start looking at Bernard and his weaknesses. But it’s looking like a solid pick and like, along with many others, we’re way off on this guy. 

keep balling out TB 

Same

As long as our DL keeps playing at a high level Bernard has a chance to keep looking good

3 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Might be? Should be hands down. He did what no LB has done since 2007!

I don’t decide the winner and I didn’t take a look and see what other defensive players have done this week. Might be, should be….  Is it that big of a deal?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.