Terrel Bernard Appreciation Thread

Rigotz

On 9/17/2023 at 9:33 PM, Bubba Gump said:

Dude looks like a safety out there. Maybe McD actually knew wtf he was talking about when he said Edmunds replacement was already in house. 

Shush, you are talking contrary to our self appointed TBD HCs & GMs…, 

😁👍

looks like coach Tuesday didn’t like my post, guess I’ll just have to indulge in my fav cocktail 🍸 to get over this…, 😁👍

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

13 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Bernard has the instincts and the dog in him

I worry about him, holding up over the course of the season, but I am definitely rooting for him

He's a big upgrade over the last Saint we had in Buffalo.   

St Bernard > St Doug the obvious moron.

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

One comment on this, then back to Bernard discussion. 

I don’t think it’s fair to say they voluntarily downgraded at QB. They benched Carr at the end of the season because he was imploding and Carr openly expressed his frustration and desire to leave. It was clear as day he had run his course in Oakland after nearly a decade there.

Disagree. They voluntarily went from a good, not great, QB to a distinctly average one. Fine if you are tanking. If you are not then find a way to make it work with Carr. Never voluntarily downgrade at QB unless it is an intentional tank. It is a QB league.

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

Carr was on a 40 million dollar a year deal they signed Jimmy G to a deal worth about 22.5 per year. The Raiders felt like Carr at a huge cap number was not going to allow them to win and that Jimmy G plus having some extra 12-17 million in cap space would be better. 

I don’t understand it either, they could have worked around Carr’s deal and the Raiders cap is not that bad for them they enter 2024 with 46 million in space and probably 20-30 million in “fat” they can cut to make more space if needed. So carry some extra weight on a QB contract is not going to hamper them much.

Just a poorly run organization 

Yea very poorly run. I think also part of it is McDaniels just thinks someone who runs "his scheme" is instantly an upgrade. That isn't how the NFL works. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Disagree. They voluntarily went from a good, not great, QB to a distinctly average one. Fine if you are tanking. If you are not then find a way to make it work with Carr. Never voluntarily downgrade at QB unless it is an intentional tank. It is a QB league.

Yea very poorly run. I think also part of it is McDaniels just thinks someone who runs "his scheme" is instantly an upgrade. That isn't how the NFL works. 

McDaniels thinks that making changes projects the appearance of a plan.

He has no plan.

Watching the Raiders last week I realized they have absolutely no hope.  Zero, none.  They traded for Adams then got rid of his buddy at QB for no reason.  They had the leading rusher then didn’t want to pay him.  Their drafts are all over the place.  There is nothing they do particularly well.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think McDaniel sincerely doesn't believe Garappolo is a downgrade over Carr.  I think he sees 2019 and 2021 as what Garappolo is capable of, and disallows his injury-shortened seasons as bad luck that shouldn't repeat itself.  67.7% completions, 239 YPG, and just under 2 TD per INT with SFO are enough to win with a good defense and run game. Then there's that "Catnip for Coaches" how is he on the whiteboard? thing that keeps PeterDude in the league (yes he is still in the league, for those that might have missed it) - the coach, as you say, favors the player who knows his scheme inside out.

Statistically speaking, Carr isn't all that different than Garappolo.  A bit lower completion % (64.6%), a bit higher YPG and TD/INT (248 and 2.2 vs. 239 and just under 2).  And Garappolo has a higher passer rating. 

As perhaps you allude to, they're not as similar as the numbers might make them out to be.  Carr has a little streak of the "wild man" in him.  When his back is to the wall, he might blow up, OR, he might pull out that X factor and win games he's not expected to.  There's an argument to be made for Garappolo as a more refined QB who can play within a system better.

Myself, I worked a long time with a Denver fan who had plenty to say about McDaniel as the failed HC of the Broncos, and we both had a ringside seat to watch McDaniel turn Sam Bradford from a young but promising QB into a wet mess (next OC turned him back into a functional QB). 

Time could prove me wrong, but I don't think McDaniel is "all that and a bag of chips" as a HC or as an OC outside of NE with the Hoodie right behind him plucking the strings.  I think McDaniel *is* a coach who fits the player into his system, and not one who adjusts his system to the particular strengths and weaknesses of the player, which means Garappolo probably is a better choice for McDaniel - IF he stays healthy.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The Raiders decision to voluntarily downgrade at QB makes no sense unless they are tanking and they don't appear to be. Such a bizarre decision. 

Gunner, with all due respect and also acknowledging that stats are not the end-all be-all...

Garoppolo's career numbers are higher in completion percentage, yards per attempt, TD%, and passer rating. Carr's interception percentage is a bit lower.

My point is that I think it's far from clear that Derek Carr is a better QB than Jimmy Garoppolo. Certainly the numbers over a large sample size indicate otherwise.

• Disagree 1

Please use this thread ... I see several other old ones floating around. Bernard has been a beast.

Through 3 games: 2 sacks, 2 interceptions

For comparison, Tremaine Edmunds SEASON HIGH is 2 interceptions (once) and 2 sacks (twice).

Edited by Rigotz
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

I'm really pleased for him. I don't understand the game as well as people on this board, but when we drafted him I looked at his reel from Baylor, and he looked to have real (and rare) superstar quality. I really hope he can scale it up to the big league. Looks like he might ... 

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/17/2023 at 6:46 PM, Captain_Quint said:

For what it's worth, Belicheck is playing 3 safeties tonight against Miami. I think Bernard will have tough games on teams wanting to run on us, but against the pass he looks good so far. 

Don't think that will be as much of an issue. Bean shored up our DT quality and depth and we now have the guys that can take on the doubles and not get blown off the line to keep a backer clean to fill.

I think we will be ok, even Edmunds played better when they had better DTs in front of him... although his instincts were still underwhelming.

Said this in the game day first half thread but I have not seen a player go from punch line whipping boy to fan favorite in such a short period of time. I must admit I didn’t like the pick last season when they made it (I thought they could have gotten him later and taken Parham the guard) but the revelation he has become is only made stronger by the fact that they are getting a comp pick for the player he is effectively replacing 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 9/20/2023 at 12:02 PM, GunnerBill said:

Never tank. Why would you voluntarily put a blemish on your resume.

Always win, no matter who your QB is.

They were never going anywhere with Carr, so they must try to figure out a different situation while attempting to find a real franchise QB. 

That doesn't mean you voluntarily lose games. You gotta win for the coaches, players, and fans.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Nelius said:

Trust the process. McD clearly knows his dudes on defense

This just proves we should trust the coaches.  We look at size etc.  These coaches know.  They have put together a solid team.  Bernard has more plays in just today's game than Edmunds had in 5 years!

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

Please use this thread ... I see several other old ones floating around. Bernard has been a beast.

Through 3 games: 2 sacks, 2 interceptions

For comparison, Tremaine Edmunds SEASON HIGH is 2 interceptions (once) and 2 sacks (twice).

Do you get special credit for your specific thread being used. Awfully protective of it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

On 9/21/2023 at 1:18 AM, Sierra Foothills said:

Gunner, with all due respect and also acknowledging that stats are not the end-all be-all...

Garoppolo's career numbers are higher in completion percentage, yards per attempt, TD%, and passer rating. Carr's interception percentage is a bit lower.

My point is that I think it's far from clear that Derek Carr is a better QB than Jimmy Garoppolo. Certainly the numbers over a large sample size indicate otherwise.

As well sometimes a talented player just needs a fresh start on a new team.  It's not always anyone fault there is a  disconnect......

Edited by AuntieEm
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.