Stop blaming Josh Allen

Bills Bud

It's a team game and the Buffalo QB shouldn't need to carry the game on his shoulders every week. Or need to play hero ball in an attempt to win the game?

Jets RB Breece Hall had 127 yards on 10 carries and that equates to 10.7 yards per carry. WTF, blame the Buffalo QB? Why can't Josh Allen stop the run? 

Meanwhile, Buffalo RB James Cook had 12 carries for 46 yards a 3.8-yard per carry. TO BUFFALO COACHES. Build a freaking ground-rushing game that works without the Bills QB being the leading rusher every year! 

Forgive me, didn't the Buffalo special teams give a TD score that won the game in OT for the NY Jets? WTF, blame the Buffalo QB, why didn't he jump into the game and trip up that Xavier Gipson return guy? 

TO BUFFALO COACHES. Build a defense that can stop the run. Just about every team the Bills face this season has a good ground game.

The NY Jets had the #4 overall defense last season with their best part being a top NFL secondary. So, the Buffalo game plan is to have the Buffalo QB attempt to throw all game...right into the teeth of that defense.  The 16 rushes by the Buffalo RBs clearly wasn't getting it done. I blame the coaches for this loss. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, Bills Bud said:

Fans, players and his own coaches bashing him is not a good look. You are going to drive him out of town. He is the best QB we ever had imo, definitely since Jim Kelly. I blame the coaches, we need an offensive minded head coach. Imagine if Kyle Shannan had Josh Allen, we need a guy like that. That’s the only way we will finally get that Super Bowl, defense doesn’t win championships anymore. McDermott has to go!

So do 28 other teams.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Not being able to stop the run has plagued this team for years... and special teams giving up that last TD is equally responsible for that loss.

We have a gunslinger for a QB and he takes chances. I'll take Josh Allen over any other NFL QB.

Buffalo could have still won that game with a better run defense and not allowing that return for a TD. 

Yes, the 3 INT's sucked. Alas, the Bills were playing one of the very best secondaries in the NF... so stuff happens. 

In my view, Buffalo should have been running the ball more with misdirection plays to wear that defense out. Play better defense! No Aaron Rodgers this should have been an easy win. The Jets averaged 6.1 yards per rush with Buffalo giving up 172 yards rushing. 

How about Joe Burrow this week 14 of 31 for 82 yards no TDs, would that have won the game for Buffalo? Dak Prescott, 13 of 24 for 143 yards, no TDs...would that?

All true. But the facts are JA played beyond reckless on Monday. He seemed incapable of any logic. If he simply falls on the snap ( he took his eye off) we likely win that game. To then attempt to run into the heart of the DL in a vulnerable position was the ultimate “ I’m not capable of logic “ moment. This is after the  2 incredibly dumbfounding decisions prior.  Won’t even add the other int. 

1. Bomb punt- had maybe a 15 yard lane to run and no open receiver. 
2. The Gabe interception where he had Kincaid open for the first down on the out.

Maybe finally after all media blasting him, 

be they local or National he will wake up. He knows what the problem is. Possibility this will embarrass him enough to change. I really hope so. As he is my all time favorite Bill!!! 

2 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

All true. But the facts are JA played beyond reckless on Monday. He seemed incapable of any logic. If he simply falls on the snap ( he took his eye off) we likely win that game. To then attempt to run into the heart of the DL in a vulnerable position was the ultimate “ I’m not capable of logic “ moment. This is after the  2 incredibly dumbfounding decisions prior.  Won’t even add the other int. 

1. Bomb punt- had maybe a 15 yard lane to run and no open receiver. 
2. The Gabe interception where he had Kincaid open for the first down on the out.

Maybe finally after all media blasting him, 

be they local or National he will wake up. He knows what the problem is. Possibility this will embarrass him enough to change. I really hope so. As he is my all time favorite Bill!!! 

Now, ask yourself why was Josh Allen even attempting to make those throws. Why does Allen feel the need to play hero ball? 

Was the Buffalo run game working well enough so the Buffalo QB doesn't feel the need to play hero ball? Was he in a clean pocket all game or was he sacked 5x and 9 QB hits, with him under a lot of pass rush pressure? 

Did QB Josh Allen make some bad decisions, YES! He takes some blame here no question. Not all the blame though, not in my view. Allen is a gunslinger and at times makes great throws. At times makes bad decisions. It goes with his being a gunslinger, his personality, and his nature. After all, his NFL hero is Brett Favre.

Things might have been different had the Buffalo run game been working well enough so the QB didn't feel the need to have to make big plays. The Buffalo run defense in being able to somewhat contain Jets RB Breece Hall. The Buffalo special teams unit now allowing a return for a TD. 

13 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Now, ask yourself why was Josh Allen even attempting to make those throws. Why does Allen feel the need to play hero ball? 

Was the Buffalo run game working well enough so the Buffalo QB doesn't feel the need to play hero ball? Was he in a clean pocket all game or was he sacked 5x and 9 QB hits, with him under a lot of pass rush pressure? 

Did QB Josh Allen make some bad decisions, YES! He takes some blame here no question. Not all the blame though, not in my view. Allen is a gunslinger and at times makes great throws. At times makes bad decisions. It goes with his being a gunslinger, his personality, and his nature. After all, his NFL hero is Brett Favre.

Things might have been different had the Buffalo run game been working well enough so the QB didn't feel the need to have to make big plays. The Buffalo run defense in being able to somewhat contain Jets RB Breece Hall. The Buffalo special teams unit now allowing a return for a TD. 

I’m beginning to think all of his actions/decisions on and off the field indicates narcissism to me. He feels he knows better than his coaches and teammates.  He and only he can possibly make the hero play to win the game.

It’s immature, selfish and disrespectful to his teammates and coaches.  Grow the Fu*k up!!!  

Edited by Billsflyer12
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

You know, there have been times when I’ve been of this mindset.  But these were unambiguously “unforced errors” by Josh.

So this time, I don’t buy it.

Josh had short passing options available to him on many plays.  Not all, but many.  He had options available on the plays that were intercepted and on his fumble (he could have recovered it and fallen on it).

He did not need to play “hero ball” in order to move the chains.  He also had a lead, at the point where he made those unforced errors.

Sorry, No Sale.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Billsflyer12 said:

I’m beginning to think all of his actions/decisions on and off the field indicates narcissism to me. He feels he knows better than his coaches and teammates.  He and only he can possibly make the hero play to win the game.

It’s immature, selfish and disrespectful to his teammates and coaches.  Grow the Fu*k up!!!  

I actually think Allen is a very sensitive person. Probably too much for his own good. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ya Digg? said:

While the 186 threads talking about bad he played/prepared/off-season/blah blah blah is definitely excessive, he’s allowed to get criticized for what was probably his worst game as a pro 

He scored 6 points against the Jags for Urban Meyer’s one of two wins before he was fired that was worse 

15 minutes ago, Billsflyer12 said:

We’ll have you watched the Bills the last 5 years many times he is the team. 

40 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

You’re missing the point.. it’s been established that the coaches and other players weren’t perfect. But let’s say Josh only committed 2 turnovers of the 4. Each of which he had control of, the Bills win. He throws to Kincaid. And he falls on the fumble. Bills win!! He owns that. He is responsible for this. The Bills were winning !!!  The Jets were emotionally dead in the water. He gave them hope, confidence, and momentum. 

Everyone including us novice fans know that the Jets won’t let him throw deep. He’s been coached to this. He knows this, regardless of what else happens in the game. He, choosing to play hero ball is in direct conflict with coaching, strategy vs opponent, and his own knowledge. That is 💯 on him. If he does this the Bills win 19-10 or 19-13. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

You know, there have been times when I’ve been of this mindset.  But these were unambiguously “unforced errors” by Josh.

So this time, I don’t buy it.

Josh had short passing options available to him on many plays.  Not all, but many.  He had options available on the plays that were intercepted and on his fumble (he could have recovered it and fallen on it).

He did not need to play “hero ball” in order to move the chains.  He also had a lead, at the point where he made those unforced errors.

Sorry, No Sale.

On the first int, he could have easily run for the first down (that's what I thought he was going to do). This is his sixth year in the league, and the only thing he is running away with is the top of the turnover board.

I won't get into the off field stuff, but on the field, he lacks maturity to remain calm, make the right decisions at critical times, and be the leader he is supposed to be. I am tired of hearing him after one of "those games," talk about his mistakes and how he has to learn from them. If he hasn't learned by now, then when?
And people should stop the Favre comparisons. Favre was in 2 SB's (won one), and won 3 MVP's. Josh has a long way to go to warrant comparisons to a HOF'er.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Stop babying him…he’s a grown adult who should be able to take criticism…

If I were the coach, I would even take it a step further…Whenever he starts to melt down again, I would sit him for a series- give him time to cool off and get his head right before completely imploding, and hurting the team…👍

Where was the QB coach Brady when Josh was down ?

He has to play better. Simple. 

Over his past 16 starts he isn't close to an elite Quarterback. We know he has the talent to be that. We know he can perform at that level. But whatever is going on inside his head he needs to re-set and play better. The Bills need to do whatever they can to help him. But his decline in performance at the moment isn't anything to do with having a defensive head coach. He has had a defensive head coach his entire career. 

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

Where was the QB coach Brady when Josh was down ?

I think they showed 4 bench shots on MNF of Allen that I saw. Joe Brady was next to him in 1 of the 4 but as far as I could tell (it was shot kinda from behind) they were not speaking. They were both just staring straight ahead. 

4 hours ago, par73 said:

On the first int, he could have easily run for the first down (that's what I thought he was going to do). This is his sixth year in the league, and the only thing he is running away with is the top of the turnover board.

I won't get into the off field stuff, but on the field, he lacks maturity to remain calm, make the right decisions at critical times, and be the leader he is supposed to be. I am tired of hearing him after one of "those games," talk about his mistakes and how he has to learn from them. If he hasn't learned by now, then when?
And people should stop the Favre comparisons. Favre was in 2 SB's (won one), and won 3 MVP's. Josh has a long way to go to warrant comparisons to a HOF'er.

His presser on Monday night was almost as worrying as his performance. He just sounded totally resigned to the fact that he keeps making mistakes. There wasn't even that sort of frustrated "I gotta fix this." I said it yesterday but I watched the post Jax 2021 presser back yesterday as a contrast and boy.... his body language is noticeably different. 

9 hours ago, whorlnut said:

Buffalo will always be the perfect place for Allen and he knows that. Hes not going anywhere. He’s a big boy and can handle some criticism for an obviously horrible game. 

Lol he appears to think Hollywood is the best place for him.  

7 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

It's a team game and the Buffalo QB shouldn't need to carry the game on his shoulders every week. Or need to play hero ball in an attempt to win the game?

Jets RB Breece Hall had 127 yards on 10 carries and that equates to 10.7 yards per carry. WTF, blame the Buffalo QB? Why can't Josh Allen stop the run? 

Meanwhile, Buffalo RB James Cook had 12 carries for 46 yards a 3.8-yard per carry. TO BUFFALO COACHES. Build a freaking ground-rushing game that works without the Bills QB being the leading rusher every year! 

Forgive me, didn't the Buffalo special teams give a TD score that won the game in OT for the NY Jets? WTF, blame the Buffalo QB, why didn't he jump into the game and trip up that Xavier Gipson return guy? 

TO BUFFALO COACHES. Build a defense that can stop the run. Just about every team the Bills face this season has a good ground game.

The NY Jets had the #4 overall defense last season with their best part being a top NFL secondary. So, the Buffalo game plan is to have the Buffalo QB attempt to throw all game...right into the teeth of that defense.  The 16 rushes by the Buffalo RBs clearly wasn't getting it done. I blame the coaches for this loss. 

Stop it.  If Allen played terrible on Monday the Bills would have won.  He played worse than terrible so they lost.  It’s one game but that game was on him.  Breece Hall stats.  Shirley.

10 hours ago, Bills Bud said:

Fans, players and his own coaches bashing him is not a good look. You are going to drive him out of town. He is the best QB we ever had imo, definitely since Jim Kelly. I blame the coaches, we need an offensive minded head coach. Imagine if Kyle Shannan had Josh Allen, we need a guy like that. That’s the only way we will finally get that Super Bowl, defense doesn’t win championships anymore. McDermott has to go!

He's not leaving town if people blame him and bash him for games that he knows were crapfests by him. And that game was absolutely a crapfest by Allen. And he knows it. He's made that very very clear.

Blaming the coaches says more about you and your grasp on reality than it does about Allen or the coaches.

Yes, he's a great quarterback. He's a great quarterback who had an awful awful game.

McDermott is fine. Still has some things to prove, but he's an excellent head coach.

Edited by Thurman#1

6 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Why was he trying to make those throws, you ask? Because sometimes people make bad decisions. You may not like to hear it, but that's the correct answer. He felt the need to play hero ball because he had an awful game. Absolutely awful game by Josh, and he'd tell you the same thing, in fact he already has.

Did the run game let us down a bit? Yeah. But they were fairly unsuccessful against a team that is really really good against the run. 

But did the run game turn the ball over four times? Nope. That was Allen having an absolutely horrendous game.

Was Allen the only one to not play that well? Nope, but he was the only one who had an absolutely awful game. The only one responsible for four turnovers. 

7 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Yup, it's a team game. Anyone who says Josh Allen is 0-1 is dead wrong and just doesn't get it. The Bills are who went 0-1.

But saying that Josh Allen was primarily responsible for the Bills losing that game only shows you're seeing things correctly. He was. 

We can't say that often about his Bills tenure. He's generally excellent. But this was horrific.

And dude, that last paragraph is flat-out ridiculous. You correctly point out that the Jets are a terrific defense but then say therefore having your QB throw all game must be wrong is dumb, and that the run game is to blame? Um, what? That has absolutely no logic.

What production they had last weekend came mostly from the pass game, not the run game. But it came when Allen took the short quick throws. When he went with the game plan, the pass game was fairly productive. Certainly more so than the run game. Which means they had a decent game plan. Destroyed by the four turnovers. And the INTs were passes thrown to the absolute wrong guy. Just horrible decisions.

And Allen knows it.

Edited by Thurman#1

9 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

But all I see is constant carping about a guy whose BODY OF WORK is fantastic placing him as the 2nd best QB to ever wear a Bills uniform.  And the best QB to wear a Bills uniform, one Jim Kelly, had games every bit as bad as Allen did Monday night during the SB years.

I think it’s because it’s genuinely confusing. The kinds of mistakes Josh makes when he’s in that fog are such total blunders—dropping the snap, then picking it up and immediately running into the line, fumbling it again—almost moronic looking.

Allen has more ability, running and passing, but Kelly never had a fumble like that. It’s hard to understand from a guy who is the most talented and confident QB we ever had, but who also descends to a nearly Petermanesque level every so often.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Fine.  But there is also keeping things in perspective.  The shrill and hysteric response by much of the national media and a lot of Bills fans goes way beyond the simple observation that Allen played poorly and we lost the game as a result.

Umm he has to expect the reaction when the team beats you with their backup QB coming in after 4 snaps from their starter.. especially when the backup is Zak Wilson. C

10 hours ago, Chaos said:

Game had five awful plays in regulation:

1. Int by allen
  2. Int by allen
  3. fumble by allen
  4. 83 yard defensive collapse
  5. Bad decision to decline a penalty and concede 3 points to to the Jets

There was also another interception by allen that had the same consequencence as if he had thrown it way, and then we punted.  Didn't really alter the game. 

Despite these five awful plays the team played well enough to tie the game in regulation.  
In a fact based world, Allens regulation performance resulted in a tie.  To reiterate, at the end of regulation the game was tied. This cannot be disputed.  All of the turnovers and other bad plays did not lead to a win.  It also did not lead to a loss. 

The overtime was a complete shitshow, the team choked massively and the team lost the game collectively. 

You left out that overtime is only necessary when the game is tied. The team played “well enough” in regulation is really twisted logic.  Any team could have played well enough to get that game into overtime.  That includes the Sabres, Mets and Knicks.  The Jets should have been done after sixty minutes if Allen played terribly.  He didn’t.  He was worse.  

Nice list of 5 plays.  You left out a billion where Allen threw to the wrong receiver, threw it five yards off the spot to the RB causing good plays to be meh.  Hesitated on a QB draw costing him about 20 yards.  I’m surprised you just didn’t try to pin the whole game on Milano for his stupid taunting play.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

You left out that overtime is only necessary when the game is tied. The team played “well enough” in regulation is really twisted logic.  Any team could have played well enough to get that game into overtime.  That includes the Sabres, Mets and Knicks.  The Jets should have been done after sixty minutes if Allen played terribly.  He didn’t.  He was worse.  

Nice list of 5 plays.  You left out a billion where Allen threw to the wrong receiver, threw it five yards off the spot to the RB causing good plays to be meh.  Hesitated on a QB draw costing him about 20 yards.  I’m surprised you just didn’t try to pin the whole game on Milano for his stupid taunting play.

And I don't even think he is right on the penalty decision. 

11 hours ago, Bills Bud said:

Good morning Mrs Allen, how’s your boy doing? 

2 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Umm he has to expect the reaction when the team beats you with their backup QB coming in after 4 snaps from their starter.. especially when the backup is Zak Wilson. C

I'm sure Allen is oblivious to the reaction as he should be.  My point is that the reaction is EXTREME and OVER THE TOP.  Obviously after a game like that fans will be pissed and they should be.  But just look at all the "Allen sucks" threads on 2BD and the vitriol being poured out in post after post after post for ONE bad performance in the season opener.  Frankly, it's psychotic.

58 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Drive him out of town?  

Where do fans appreciate sloppy QB play?  Cleveland is tied up with Watson for years...

No one is asking fans to appreciate Allen's sloppy play on Monday night.  But what we're seeing here goes way beyond a lack of appreciation.

Allen gets nervous when the game is close.  He thinks they should score a TD on most drives.  Look what he did vs. KC in the 13 seconds game.  As one broadcaster said yesterday, Allen gets drunk over his ability to make the big play, he just can't stand down and take what the other team gives him.  And lets face it, a couple times almost overcome the INTs (vs Jets and Minnesota last season)...he fumbles the snap and pretty much loses the game that way.

Just now, Solomon Grundy said:

Is Joe Burrows QB whisperer still employed by the Bills? 

Joe Brady is QB coach, yep.

13 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I'm sure Allen is oblivious to the reaction as he should be.  My point is that the reaction is EXTREME and OVER THE TOP.  Obviously after a game like that fans will be pissed and they should be.  But just look at all the "Allen sucks" threads on 2BD and the vitriol being poured out in post after post after post for ONE bad performance in the season opener.  Frankly, it's psychotic.

No one is asking fans to appreciate Allen's sloppy play on Monday night.  But what we're seeing here goes way beyond a lack of appreciation.

I haven't seen one of those. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, WNY said:

Offense wins games and the Bills have a complete team to do so. I’m just starting to believe that the narrative of an offensive coach could be the answer, and I’m a big fan/believer in McD. 

I think it’s two-fold, until proven otherwise..

1) Josh is at a disadvantage year to year due to the lack of offensive stability that other top QB’s have. 

11 personnel under Daboll. 

Pass catching RB obsession in Year 1 of Dorsey. 

12 personnel in Year 2 of Dorsey. 

What happens if Dorsey has a great year and becomes a HC?   What happens if he gets let go?   Does Josh just have to morph into the offense of whoever our next OC is again… on top of everything else that goes with developing that Coach/Player relationship?

2) The defensive philosophy permeates the organization.  Not until this year have we truly had an off-season where there was a good faith effort to really improve Josh’s side of the ball.   

And it shows when our WR2 doesn’t seem to be more than a WR3 and our RT is on hope and pray watch every week.  

Could’ve had Creed Humphrey.   Drafted an EDGE no longer on the team.  Could’ve had Dawand Jones.  Drafted a LB buried on the depth chart.   Could’ve had money for Hopkins.  Spent it on guys like Poyer, Matakevich and Floyd. (I do really like Floyd)

• Like (+1) 1

That is the way things go, when the star high priced QB plays poorly, he gets blamed.

Stop blaming him or you will drive him out of town? LOL, there are some pretty crazy things on this board, but telling fans not to blame him so he won't leave...talk about coddling an athlete.

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think it’s two-fold, until proven otherwise..

1) Josh is at a disadvantage year to year due to the lack of offensive stability that other top QB’s have. 

11 personnel under Daboll. 

Pass catching RB obsession in Year 1 of Dorsey. 

12 personnel in Year 2 of Dorsey. 

What happens if Dorsey has a great year and becomes a HC?   What happens if he gets let go?   Does Josh just have to morph into the offense of whoever our next OC is again… on top of everything else that goes with developing that Coach/Player relationship?

2) The defensive philosophy permeates the organization.  Not until this year have we truly had an off-season where there was a good faith effort to really improve Josh’s side of the ball.   

And it shows when our WR2 doesn’t seem to be more than a WR3 and our RT is on hope and pray watch every week.  

Could’ve had Creed Humphrey.   Drafted an EDGE no longer on the team.  Could’ve had Dawand Jones.  Drafted a LB buried on the depth chart.   Could’ve had money for Hopkins.  Spent it on guys like Poyer, Matakevich and Floyd. (I do really like Floyd)

Buffalo has certainly turned the corner as a winning franchise. That falls squarely on Beane and McD. They built a winning culture from the ground hope. Six straight playoff appearances is quite a feat. 

However, the team can't seem to get to the next step. Hopefully,they will. The lack of playoff progression and SB appearances fall directly on Beane and McD. Not going to list all the evidence. There's plenty of it. 

The real debate or question is do you think it's time to move on from one or both or stay the course?  No easy decision there. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.