Elam a healthy scratch tonight.

FireChans

4 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Best way to deal with him. He’s bad on the practice field and his pride should be questioned. If he doesn’t respond, trade him before the deadline for a depth O-lineman or a draft pick.

His trade value is so incredibly low right now-what is any team going to give up for him? It’s still a relatively low contract, he’s worth more than a 6th round pick 

10 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Def shouldn’t trade him

I agree you always need talented cb’s. I have been low key on this where several on here have  been on alert. Well him being inactive has me on alert.
Man when he plays he seems decent. Gotta be attitude or inability to change his approach. This wasn’t he and the former DC .. it’s now the HC. I am of the mind we will need him this year so he is important. But he sure needs to get it together! 

5 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

His trade value is so incredibly low right now-what is any team going to give up for him? It’s still a relatively low contract, he’s worth more than a 6th round pick 

The hope is that he gets shamed into playing better, but it’s clear, a healthy Benford and even Jackson are better options right now. Just a whiff by Beane.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, SirAndrew said:

I think when you draft a guy that high, you need to put him on the field to get a decent sample. I know the coaching staff doesn’t trust him, and he hasn’t proven himself, but it feels like more of a wasted pick when he doesn’t even get the chance to fail on the field. 

It's like they're terrified to allow him that chance.

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I mean he was clearly 4th of 4 among our boundary options in pre-season by camp reports and what we saw on games. Still kinda feel we are gonna need him for the Dolphins games though. He is our best olay vs Tyreek IMO.

Agree with this. He is going to be used as a matchup corner till he learns the system better. 

4 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I think when you draft a guy that high, you need to put him on the field to get a decent sample. I know the coaching staff doesn’t trust him, and he hasn’t proven himself, but it feels like more of a wasted pick when he doesn’t even get the chance to fail on the field. 

He was the best CB in the playoffs last year. Not sure how he hasn’t proven himself. This is on the coach for not figuring out how to use his skills .

Edited by Meatloaf63
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

The hope is that he gets shamed into playing better, but it’s clear, a healthy Benford and even Jackson are better options right now. Just a whiff by Beane.

I see it the other way…I think it’s completely killed his confidence. I honestly feel bad for the kid. I can’t imagine the shame he must feel after being a first round pick. He should have been dealt and given a second chance on a team that fit his strengths. 

5 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I'm betting this is drugs or alcohol. He is more talented than Benford or Jackson and he has played better. 

Has to be more to the story. 

I think he's just not picking it up mentally.  Yes he's more athletic and physically talented, he must look that bad in practice.

We at least allowed Cody Ford to suck on the field before benching him.  We're not even putting Elam on the field...fans don't see everything in a players development.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

I think this is a solid point.  This is more of a reflection on how good Benford and Jackson have been versus how "bad" Elam has been.  Cam Lewis can also play outside corner in a pinch.  The Bills have a lot of depth in their secondary.  It's a tough roster to crack.

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

I think he's just not picking it up mentally.  Yes he's more athletic and physically talented, he must look that bad in practice.

We at least allowed Cody Ford to suck on the field before benching him.  We're not even putting Elam on the field...fans don't see everything in a players development.

Leodis Elam 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I'm betting this is drugs or alcohol. He is more talented than Benford or Jackson and he has played better. 

Has to be more to the story. 

I think that it is definitely possible there is something else going on. I still go back to that healthy scratch at New England last for them to start Xavier Rhodes who was totally washed and release him a week later. There was more to that then met the eye for sure. I think this inactive accords with what we saw in pre-season so I am less inclined to smell a rat but there deinitely could be something with him that goes beyond performance.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.