Elam a healthy scratch tonight.

FireChans

7 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

That's who I compared him to on draft day

Maybe they can still coach him into a well-rounded CB, but this is frustrating.

Still, is he really so bad that he's inactive? If a CB goes down with injury, it'd be nice to have Elam as depth.

Don't be frustrated I really really think we got something in Benford season has started either Elam comes o

n our he doesn't season doesn't hang on him period full stop

He has the talent.  He was good when he played last year.

This feels like a personality/process/scheme thing (not all the same things - but close enough).  And if that's the case, it reflects more on the staff than on him.  

There are situations in the league where he would likely thrive with his skillset.  

• Like (+1) 1

This is an Epic failure by the organization.  Spend a 1st round pick on a CB that excels in press man, when we're predominantly a zone team.

Also, every team mixes in zone and man. They haven't been able to tweak the defense a bit, to use his skill set? Multiple times, I saw Elam last year stick to Tyreek like glue. You mean to tell me, that guy is not good enough to be one of the 46? 

Crazy!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Allen2Moulds said:

This is an Epic failure by the organization.  Spend a 1st round pick on a CB that excels in press man, when we're predominantly a zone team.

Also, every team mixes in zone and man. They haven't been able to tweak the defense a bit, to use his skill set? Multiple times, I saw Elam last year stick to Tyreek like glue. You mean to tell me, that guy is not good enough to be one of the 46? 

Crazy!

He can only stick to Tyreek apparently. 

Little sad for him as we all hope draft picks pan out for the team but there has to be more to this. May not agree with the reasoning or logic not using him but would probably understand. 

Going more in depth to that draft and what we were targeting… McDuffie looks legit. 

Don’t grumble with the Chiefs as a rival but that selection 2 before Elam stings a little more after his play Thursday coupled with this. 

Hoping for a positive change in his contributions moving forward! 🤞

Mentioned in another thread as well, but I think it is clear that the coaching staff is not high on Elam. He is probably the 5th CB after Tre, Benford, Taron, and Dane. 

We drafted him knowing that he has never played a down of zone and then threw him into a zone-heavy offense. And I believe that affected him mentally as well. In fact, during an interview a few weeks ago he said: "I stayed up nights trying to figure how to make plays playing zone" last season.

It’s unfortunate because in the draft we acquired Elam, KC traded in front of us to acquire Trent McDuffie, who looks like an absolute stud so far. I know there are people who don’t believe we would have drafted McDuffie even if he were there. I hope that isn’t true, because he clearly was the right choice.

9 minutes ago, Allen2Moulds said:

Crazy!

This x100. It’s why I’m about done with this regime and want to see a new injection of life. I was hopeful McDermott would change the defense and was thrilled to see frazier go but sounds like we’re playing the same old lazy defense and playing 10 yards off guys on 3rd and 9 instead of mixing stuff up

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, KingBoots8 said:

A little more context for the post. This is per the Bills app:

The Bills are listing the following players as INACTIVE for Monday night at the Jets:

S Damar Hamlin

CB Kaiir Elam

DE Kingsley Jonathan

OL Germain Ifedi

OL Alec Anderson

Jonathan being out was odd

4 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

So are we expecting this to be a theme? 

Seems like Benford is entrenched as CB2 for the time being…but Elam not even active for situational usage?

yikes.

I'd guess it was because the Bills ended up running zones all night long.

On 9/11/2023 at 8:15 PM, John from Riverside said:

I think they’re handling the situation all wrong with this guy they’re gonna end up killing his confidence

I mean Benford and Dane beat him out. And McD is known and proven to have an excellent eye for secondary talent. Thought Benford had a great game, hope he stays healthy , he could have a big year

It is what it is. Idc if they're a 1st rder or Undrafted , put your best on the field. Elam is physically very gifted, hopefully he'll develop with his zone coverage but a great insurance policy to have.

Just disappointed we drafted him so high considering the success of Benford-6th rd. Taron - 4th rd . Dane - 7th rd and even Levi Wallace - Undrafted. 

Feel like they just panicked with Tre being out 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.