2023 NFL Season - Week #1 - Bills at Jets - Post game game thread

BuffaloBill

46 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

This loss looked like a carbon copy of last year’s Jets loss. In fact Allen’s picks last year were even more head scratching.

We still managed to go 13-3 despite that. I think we will still cruise to the division (I’m not a big Dolphins or Tua believer), but the thought in the back of my mind is whether we’ll be able to beat a tough team in the playoffs. I kind of think not. This team can beat up bad teams in the regular season.

I agree with everything except the Dolphins part. Miami has a much better roster than Buffalo. They have weapons galore on offense and a innovation modern day coach. The Bills aren't cruising past them for the division. It will be a dog fight likely to the end. 

The Bills have proven that can't beat KC or Cincinnati in the playoffs. This year is likely the same outcome. Both teams have tested and proven playoff winners. Mahomes and Burrow are clearly better than Allen come playoff time. Allen is not the Allen of 13 seconds in KC. That year and that game was an outliner. We haven't seen that version of Allen in 3 years and likely never will. We fans have to stop thinking that's the version of Allen we will get! Instead, we will get an inconsistent Allen. One who will make spectacular plays and bone head plays. He is that good to beat sub par to decent teams on his own.

Come playoff time it's a different story. Allen can't single handily beat those teams. Mahomes can but not Allen. The oline, lack of weapons, and poor coaching are too many negatives for Allen to overcome. It's not all on him although it always trickles back to the QB. 

Let's be happy nest here. The Bills are a good team. They are likely to make the playoffs. They are likely to fall short again.

If anyone wants to show me a path on how the Bills get it done please do so. Right now, it sure looks like a long shot. 

2 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Sure, but it has to be noted that he's already in his throwing motion there. He stared down Gabe. Josh has trouble reading the safety. It is a root cause of a lot of his interceptions. 

He was throwing but this would be something in which he didn't anticipate correctly?

I think it was Manning or some other iconic QB...basically he said what separates a good QB from a bad one is the good one knows what's not there sooner.

13 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I agree with everything except the Dolphins part. Miami has a much better roster than Buffalo. They have weapons galore on offense and a innovation modern day coach. The Bills aren't cruising past them for the division. It will be a dog fight likely to the end. 

The Bills have proven that can't beat KC or Cincinnati in the playoffs. This year is likely the same outcome. Both teams have tested and proven playoff winners. Mahomes and Burrow are clearly better than Allen come playoff time. Allen is not the Allen of 13 seconds in KC. That year and that game was an outliner.

The week before: https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore/_/gameId/401326626

7 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

https://x.com/SharpFootball/status/1701440484051222921?s=20

Heck people cannot even blame the line, they played very well against a stout DL

Quick Question did something change that cannot copy and past tweets and have them shown anymore.

The board software has not been updated to recognize xcretions yes. Just change the url back to twitter.com and they will post.

We deserved to lose. Defense was eh, not great. O-line was bad as expected but IMO the majority of the major mistakes came from Josh. No level head last night and everything seemed rushed and nervous. Would've like to see him use his legs a little more in some situations. Overall, worst we've looked in a long time. Go bills tho

If apportioning fault, then:

70% to JA17

- bailing from pockets, failing to see wide open pass catchers, forcing throws, sugar rush hero ball, 4 easily avoided turnovers, and just sloppy “disfocused” play

20% to Dorsey

- his calls had people open often, but no offensive identity, throwing on 3rd&2, draw play on 2nd&15, 41 passes against a top pass defense despite not being down most of the game, of course no or very few screens, hardly any plays where a first read is wide open because of play design, and clearly not coaching JA17 effectively enough on taking what is there

9% to McDermott

- his defense had a good point total but can’t stop running backs, poor angles and tackling, team lack of focus and low energy, and although we did not deserve to win the game at this point anyways I am placing the OT ST TD mostly on him because the head coach who went through 13 seconds should know better than to allow a punt to land in bounds there

1% to Smiley

- you, me, and Sam Martin’s family know why

All that said, ironically enough the best advice right now is from Aaron Rodgers: R-E-L-A-X. Think the very similar Week 1 Steelers loss and how that season played out. Better to get a wake up call this early. KC, CIN, LAC, and NE all lost and NJ lost Rodgers. Falling the sky is not. 

Know what was lovely? The game winning OT ST TD not only sealed the Bills’ loss, it capped off my fantasy opponent’s 40 point comeback win after I started MNF projected 90% to win. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Why does it feel like I lost a football game last night?

This game was such a gut punch.   My biggest worry was this game looking like the Bengals loss to end the season..  Which was confirmed by midnight.

I'm hoping I'll care by Sunday, but I really have an apathetic feeling towards this team that I haven't had since the drought era.  Just starting to feel like a better version of that where we've plateaued, just instead of being a 6-9 win team, we're a Divisional Round caliber squad. 

Raiders.. Commanders... cool.  Whatever.   They better win those games, and I guess we can get excited again if they get to Week 4 at 2-1. 

• Agree 2

I didn't read through this thread (I don't want to get depressed) but last night was almost a carbon copy of the opening game loss to the Steelers in 2021:

*  In the Pitt game the Bills led 10 - 0 at half.  Last night we led 13 - 3 at half.

*  In the 2nd half against Pitt the Bills scored only 2 FG's last night they had 1 FG in the 2nd half.

*  Allen and the offense looked out of sorts in both games especially in the 2nd half of both games.

*  While the score line would say the D played great in both games at critical moments in each game they couldn't get key stops and allowed to many 3rd & long conversions.  And Big Ben was no more effective at that point in his career as Wilson was last night.

*  In both games the special teams had a major breakdown giving up a TD.

The differences were that the Bills were home in the Pitt game, Allen didn't turn the ball over 4 times and the Jets have a better D and better offensive skill players then the Steelers had.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I hear you….I think it depends how they look these next two games. Struggling to move the ball, Josh with some stupid mistakes, signature 3rd down let down defense in a big spot and I’ll be inclined to think they’ll get their asses handed to them at home against the Dolphins…..and 13 seconds was truly their peak under McBeane. 

But if they and Josh show big improvements offensively then I’ll be much less apathetic. 

Josh isn't a rookie or 2nd year player. The fact he is still making these kind of mistakes his 6th year in the league strongly suggests he's never going to stop making them. It is a rare player indeed who shows "big improvements" 6 years in, particularly one who has been a starter his entire career. As frustrating as it may be, history suggests Josh may be the QB who make Buffalo very relevant for a number of years, but isn't the QB to lead them to the top, particularly with the crew around him (and the receiving corp is very average after Diggs).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, stevewin said:

Havent read much today - has it been discussed at all what the financial/cap implications are for the Jets if he retires 

I'm not an expert, but it seems that they get back salary but all outstanding dead cap in good years comes due. Which after attaching 3 void years into his last contract essentially their choices boil down to this if Rodgers is indeed out with an Achilles tear:

2024: Rehab him though the off-season and try to trot him out for a cap it of 17 million. (Or IR him and pay that money). Or cut him for $63-66 million in dead cap. This also happens if he retires.

2025: Pay him and take a 51 million cap hit, cut him for 2 million in cap savings (a 49 million cap hit to not be on the roster) or restructure to spread 37.5 million over three years on top of what they already were doing 

Edited by WhitewalkerInPhilly
  • Like (+1) 1

I hesitantly came here today. I normally don't read here after a loss, because this place can become irrationally shrill.

But I have to say I am impressed with the measured response and muted emotions following last nights bitter loss. There is some doom and gloom talk, but not too bad. Good job TSW.

At least we aren't Giants fans.

• Like (+1) 1

many teams struggled out of the gate this season.  

in all honesty i would rather have them lose their first one like this and improve as the season goes on (which they will).  last season they came out of the gate beating the rams and titans and everyone was crowning them already.  

• Simon unpinned this topic
13 minutes ago, k2mountain said:

I hesitantly came here today. I normally don't read here after a loss, because this place can become irrationally shrill.

But I have to say I am impressed with the measured response and muted emotions following last nights bitter loss. There is some doom and gloom talk, but not too bad. Good job TSW.

At least we aren't Giants fans.

In some ways, the way the Giants lost can be easier to take.

Have not read through the thread so sorry if I'm repeating what many have said...

I would have been OK with losing. But it's how and why we lost that makes me so upset. Our elite QB has not been elite for a long stretch now and says the right things but does consistently does the wrong ones. I hope it/he can turn around.

2 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

Terrible. The whole night was a freak show nightmare. Bad for us. Worse, much worse for the Jets. The D can only take them so far. Where are they going to find a QB.

A new nightmare presents itself....Tom Brady comes out of retirement...

• Shocked 1

13 hours ago, maddenboy said:

if the window was ever open, i dont think this loss changes that.   Josh singlehandedly torpedoed that game.  Sam Howell wins that game.   Baker Mayfield even

The other areas never had a chance to pick it up (except maybe punt coverage.  Though i did see Siran Neal make an elite play on special teams)

the problem is Josh.  But is it fixable?

I feel like we just got disqualified.  Ineligible.  Not looking like that.

(not to be conspiracy guy, but) dont expect the  NFL to help that get to the superbowl this year.

They were 13 seconds from the AFC title game two years ago of course there was window. You may hate Allen but he’s pretty much single handedly the reason they had a window to begin with. And of course he’s fixable his mistakes were looking for deepshofs down the field and a bobble snap. Until his pick second pick to whitehead he had 4 incompletions the entire game. The one of 3rd and 2 was awful but it also shows that Dorsey has absolutely no confidence the line can get a 2 yard push to pickup a first down. 

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

They were 13 seconds from the AFC title game two years ago of course there was window. You may hate Allen but he’s pretty much single handedly the reason they had a window to begin with. And of course he’s fixable his mistakes were looking for deepshofs down the field and a bobble snap. Until his pick second pick to whitehead he had 4 incompletions the entire game. The one of 3rd and 2 was awful but it also shows that Dorsey has absolutely no confidence the line can get a 2 yard push to pickup a first down. 

13 seconds feels different knowing 1- the Bengals won the next game anyway 2-the Bengals humiliated us

we were probably 13 seconds away from a devastating home loss in the AFC championship game. Let’s be real.

2 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

13 seconds feels different knowing 1- the Bengals won the next game anyway 2-the Bengals humiliated us

we were probably 13 seconds away from a devastating home loss in the AFC championship game. Let’s be real.

They weren’t losing to the Bengals at home cause you do realize the Chiefs where having a field day with the bengals and up 3 scores till their QB literally just stopped playing in the second half 

Allen turned the ball over 4 times, Bills were -3 in turnovers, led most of the game and once again it took an almost Act of God for a team to actually beat them.

They don't lose, they only beat themselves.

They'll be fine. Stop the panicking like whiny little pansies. It's truly amazing for a team to be so good that it takes them playing terrible and the other team needing near miracles to win.

Edited by BillsUberAlles
  • Like (+1) 2

If I’m reading the board correctly, our offensive line sucks, our quarterback sucks, our offensive coordinator sucks, all but one wide receiver sucks, our head coach sucks, our interior defensive line sucks, middle linebacker sucks, cornerbacks suck, safeties suck, running backs suck, punter sucks, and punt team sucks. All should be fired, too. Did I get it all? 

32 minutes ago, Phils n Bills said:

If I’m reading the board correctly, our offensive line sucks, our quarterback sucks, our offensive coordinator sucks, all but one wide receiver sucks, our head coach sucks, our interior defensive line sucks, middle linebacker sucks, cornerbacks suck, safeties suck, running backs suck, punter sucks, and punt team sucks. All should be fired, too. Did I get it all? 

Pretty much. Pretty amazing for the team with the best reg season record since 2020 in the NFL.

Wonder how bad other teams must be.

Edited by BillsUberAlles

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/12/2023 at 10:47 AM, boyst said:

No where else to put this but a caller on WGR said 

Allen looked "disfocused"

🤯

Disfocused?!  That's unpossible!

(I loaded 'wgr' in the board's search function, and found boyst's observation to riff on...)

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.