Nick Bosa signs - 5 years, $170 Million

Draconator

• Draconator changed the title to Nick Bosa signs - 5 years, $170 Million
1 minute ago, Mango said:

That’s insane. I don’t know how you field a team with contracts like that. If they have to pay a QB at some point…sheesh. 

In theory they are at least 3 years from dealing with that. Likely longer if you don’t think purdy is a franchise qb.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

That’s insane. I don’t know how you field a team with contracts like that. If they have to pay a QB at some point…sheesh. 

I guess from there perspective they did just make a Mr. Irrelevant QB very relevant last season, so maybe they're not as worried about that. 🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Mango said:

That logic applies to 31 other nfl franchises where QB is the most important position. The Niners are one of one though, no other team is like them. QB is like the 15th most important position on the team. Once they got CMC for basically pennies, the qb spot became even less important for them. As long as a qb can be accurate on slants and hitting other wide open targets, the shanahan system will thrive. It’s insane but they can waste a top 3 pick on a qb, give up the farm to do that, and still thrive with the last pick in the draft at the helm. Their weapons are far and away the best in the league and the defense somehow got that much better with Hargrave in the mix. People say a rookie qb contract is the most valuable thing but actually the Niners have the advantage over everyone else because they can put anyone back there and their YAC monsters will win them games. It’s unreal but they keep going back to the NFC title game every year. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

I'm old enough to remember when $400,000 was Quarterback money.

I'm old enough to remember reading Ralph paid 40,000 for the rights to an NFL franchise in his 2nd choice of locations when he did not get the Miami franchise he wanted.

• Like (+1) 5

12 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

There's no chance he comes close to living up to that contract. Even if he gets 20 sacks a year, is 1.7M/sack even worth it? That would be like paying AJ Epenesa 10M last year.

It's far more realistic that he averages in the mid double digits ~15 for 2.8M/sack

Don’t be shortsighted though. He’s the best DE in the league. He commands attention at that position which frees up Armstead and now Hargrave to go to work. His value is off the charts and hard to measure. I’d be thrilled if the Bills have him. Outside of qB and maybe LT, having a guy that can consistently crush the qB especially on money downs is worth every penny. 

12 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

I'm old enough to remember reading Ralph paid 40,000 for the rights to an NFL franchise in his 2nd choice of locations when he did not get the Miami franchise he wanted.

I remember when Rich Stadium opened my dad (worked at Westinghouse as a lathe operator) would work overtime on a Saturday 

to make more than enough money for him and me to go to 2 games including parking.  We brought food and drinks (you could do that back then).

I wonder how many hours the "average" worker has to work to do that today for the average NFL ticket/parking/food cost?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.