How much longer will the window be open?

JohninMinn.

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think Mahomes is the better QB by a some margin, can do more with less at WR, is much more slippery in the pocket, and has a quicker release which protects his OL a bit more. 

I think the set up in KC is closer to Brady and NE. The Bills are closer to Rodgers/GB or Brees/NO. There will be a lot more ups and downs, but we will always have a chance vs. being the favorite. 

I think once KC loses Kelce they will be just like everyone else. Mahomes is great, but it certainly helps that he has possibly the greatest TE ever (after also having possibly the fastest WR ever). When you don’t have guys that can get open, your QB play all of a sudden drops 

9 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think Mahomes is the better QB by a some margin, can do more with less at WR, is much more slippery in the pocket, and has a quicker release which protects his OL a bit more. 

I think the set up in KC is closer to Brady and NE. The Bills are closer to Rodgers/GB or Brees/NO. There will be a lot more ups and downs, but we will always have a chance vs. being the favorite. 

Excellent post,  Beane is living off of Allen because outside of Diggs the roster has no other elite talent.  Beanie needs to get this team younger, too many older guys making big money that are not stars.

• Eyeroll 1

5 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

I think once KC loses Kelce they will be just like everyone else. Mahomes is great, but it certainly helps that he has possibly the greatest TE ever (after also having possibly the fastest WR ever). When you don’t have guys that can get open, your QB play all of a sudden drops 

I will try not to derail this after this one. You may be onto something with Kelce. I don't totally disagree. I don't think about Hill often because they found just as much success without him.

Mahomes is much more equitable with the football. I think some of it is Andy Reid. Some of it is talent of the WR room. But I also think Mahomes does a better job of making you cover everybody more often. I don't mean this as a knock on Allen. I just don't think there is any more 1a/1b at QB anymore. It is Mahomes first with some discussion between Burrow/Allen as to 2a/2b. 

Anything less than the AFC Championship game this year with a healthy Allen and it is time to move on from McDermott with or without Beane. 

I know many on here think this is insane and I also know many agree with me.

On paper this is the best DL and secondary McD has ever had, albeit a bit on the older side.

On paper the OL looks as good as it ever has.

For me it is win now for this head coach. He robbed us of one championship with 13 seconds. He was masterful last year dealing with adversity and he deserves credit for that.  Now it is time to at least make the Conference Championship game again. 

If not I want Allen to have another head coach to give us a shot at a SuperBowl 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

You guys are infatuated with windows.

The window this the window that...

Windows, windows, windows 

Just yesterday I had to tell my wife to close the window because the air conditioning was on. "Whatya trying to do, cool the whole neighborhood????"

• Haha (+1) 1

As long as Josh is here and healthy?  Always open

look I get it - but the same would be said for Mahomes as well

these guys are so rare.  Yes you want to load up your team

but how quick we have forgotten before diggs

josh Allen MADE 1,000 yard recievers - John brown and coke Beasley beat years of their careers

people really need to chill 

17 minutes ago, MJS said:

If you have a good QB, your window is open. If you don't, it is probably closed.

Some fans are so soft...

This is accurate. With a top 3 QB anything can happen. Need a little luck with injuries and need to hit on some rookies and first year players to contribute. Probably need your QB to take a bit of a hometown discount and probably need a couple vets to give you a Championship opportunity discount.  

So the window with Allen playing at a high level will never be closed, but it could be more or less open from year to year depending on the supporting cast.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BruceVilanch said:

Josh is 27, our window is wide open. 

As bills fans, we should want to believe if but it’s the nfl. Dudes get old fast. I know Cam Newton is not the most popular guy but he won a Heisman, Rookie of the Year, MVP, and carried a pretty crappy Carolina offense to the SB. Then his body broke down. There is zero guarantee on health. 

Additionally,  once qbs get their big contract, it becomes so much difficult to keep contending teams together. 

the team is in a tricky place. You can’t mortgage the future but you can’t just assume the window is open because they shut really fast in the nfl sadly.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Success said:

The "window" is a myth.

It will be varying degrees of open - but as long as Allen is QB, it's not closed. 

Agreed.  As long as we have Allen, and Beane can figure out creative ways to build a competitive roster, we will stay in the play-offs, more often than not.  That said, the team will evolve throughout Josh Allen's career, with different strengths and weaknesses, based on where we spend money, and where we try and invest less, and try and work around the weaknesses.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

As long as Josh is here and healthy?  Always open

look I get it - but the same would be said for Mahomes as well

these guys are so rare.  Yes you want to load up your team

but how quick we have forgotten before diggs

josh Allen MADE 1,000 yard recievers - John brown and coke Beasley beat years of their careers

Brown was a 1000 yard receiver in AZ--million year old Carson Palmer "made" him that.

Beasley has never had a 1000 yard season. 

Diggs was "made" a 1000 yard receiver by Cousins. 

Josh hasn't made anyone a 1000 yards receiver yet.

35 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Coke Beasley could have been great if he would have just laid off the dang booger sugar. 

• Haha (+1) 1

The offense should click better than ever and that will become the norm for a five-seven year window. It’s the defensive that needs to constantly reinvent itself and hit when it counts in the playoffs. Right now, I’m worried that the defense is just kind of ordinarily good. 

1 hour ago, DrBob806 said:

...and as unpopular as this sounds, Mahomes is on a higher level than everybody else.

They said the Chiefs would fade without Tyreek. Wrong.

I’m not sure how anyone thinks differently about Mahomes. He’s by far the best quarterback. It’s just that way. Pretty indisputable at this point. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

If we have Josh we have a chance, our Oline collapsed(Brown and Saffold) last year at the end of the year and we still won a playoff game. If we keep Josh healthy out window is about 15 more years. 

Tim, I just said in another thread and success really made the point before me Josh has the most talent this year more than 2018-22.  It’s not Madden so we don’t have everything, but now having Sherfield and Harty to round out the WR’s, finally a real 12 personnel set with DK2, both McGovern and Torrence are real upgrades at G, and excellent depth with Edwards.  Dawkins will be fine once the season starts and good depth with Bates for Morse.

RT is still a wait and see, but he looked good against the Bears.

The defense outside if MLB looks fantastic so we’ll see how this shakes out.  Like I said, the best roster on paper since 2018 for Josh.  I can’t wait to see how McD calls defenses this year as his reputation is impressive if you do your hw. All the way back to him getting mentored by Jimmy Johnson in Philly.  That man was a defensive genius.  Frazier at the end of the day was a good decision.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.