Case Keenum is more than a target

Lothar

1 minute ago, Dan Darragh said:

If I was a Texans fan and they traded 25 year old Davis Mills with a reasonably high ceiling just so they can keep 35 year old Case Keenum with no ceiling as a backup, well not sure what I'd do because if I was a Texans fan and didn't already blow my brains out...

Yes, but we are discussing what would be best for us, not what is rational for the Texans. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Dan Darragh said:

So in that case, maybe the Chiefs will cut Mahomes and we could sign him for the veteran minimum.

Upthread, someone proposed that the Texans might want a veteran presence to nurture their first round pick. It wasn't utterly ridiculous, though I 

agree that trading Mills would be a foolish act. Your response, however, implies that what was intended mostly as a joke on my part is simply an asinine assertion.

I'll try to remember that you disfavor frivolity next time I consider answering anything you post. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Dr. Who said:

Upthread, someone proposed that the Texans might want a veteran presence to nurture their first round pick. It wasn't utterly ridiculous, though I 

agree that trading Mills would be a foolish act. Your response, however, implies that what was intended mostly as a joke on my part is simply an asinine assertion.

I'll try to remember that you disfavor frivolity next time I consider answering anything you post. 

Oh, YOU'RE the one with the sense of humor?  Lighten up, man.

2 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Are you guys suggesting that if WE trade for Keenum and have him on OUR roster until week 6 or so he still qualifies and we keep 3rd round comp pick?

That is wild if true.

the theory that he was an exiting contract that the bills couldn’t restrict still applies… and that they would need to sync value into re-acquiring him underscores the loss

i had never really considered it but it’s an interesting twist 

50 minutes ago, Doc said:

Forgot about that.  But the Texans aren't cutting Keenum after guaranteeing his 2023 salary.

Reading the tea leaves I tend to agree.  Beane is too smart not to have called Houston to see what they're thinking on Keenum.  If Keenum was a cut candidate, then I doubt that Beane would have offered draft capital for Lance (assuming the reporting is accurate) given the possibility that he might have to soon tender additional draft capital (and, perhaps, a roster spot) for Keenum to maintain the Day 2 pick that's coming for Edmunds.  

53 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Reading the tea leaves I tend to agree.  Beane is too smart not to have called Houston to see what they're thinking on Keenum.  If Keenum was a cut candidate, then I doubt that Beane would have offered draft capital for Lance (assuming the reporting is accurate) given the possibility that he might have to soon tender additional draft capital (and, perhaps, a roster spot) for Keenum to maintain the Day 2 pick that's coming for Edmunds.  

Then again if he asks Houston, they may say they're cutting him just to get a draft pick out of the Bills because they know the Bills might lose the comp 3rd rounder.  I would think that guaranteeing his salary means he's not going anywhere and it's not like Davis Mills is lighting-it-up.

42 minutes ago, KCNC said:

People tend to forget Keenum sucked in all preseason games last year.  Maybe not as many turnovers as K Allen, but he did not impress.  I personally don't want him back.

I don't think anyone does...unless it allows the Bills to keep their 3rd round comp pick.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I still see the Texans holding onto Keenum as a vet mentor. I'll gladly trade for Davis Mills, however.

Awesome!  We'll have a backup who, according to Nick Wright before we shut out Houston, is better than Josh Allen!

3 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Surprisingly, Houston only has $7m in cap space.  Can’t see them cutting Keenum when they guaranteed his 2023 salary and $1m of his 2024 salary and paid him a $750k bonus.  Worth it just to have him on roster to mentor Stroud instead of eating $4m.  

Having Stroud succeed is everything to the Texans.  Keenum is the old "mentor", and they would be foolish to cut him AND lose cap.

Then again, they are not the Houston Texans for nothing.

If any team should keep 3 QBs on the 53 man roster it is Houston.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Are you guys suggesting that if WE trade for Keenum and have him on OUR roster until week 6 or so he still qualifies and we keep 3rd round comp pick?

That is wild if true.

I don’t know if that is true because I don’t understand all of this stuff but yes, I think it would be a good idea to trade a later round pick if it means keeping our extra third round pick Case Keenum is a better back up QB than what we have anyway

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I still see the Texans holding onto Keenum as a vet mentor. I'll gladly trade for Davis Mills, however.

Then we could hire Davis Webb to coach him.

4 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Thoroughly speculative studies based upon nebulous data I fabricated prove 3 out of 5 TSWers enjoy the New England Conditional Draft Pick fallacy.  You and sourpuss Limeaid may file protests with the appropriate agencies.

The oddity of the joke is that it's the Baltimore Ravens, not the New England Patriots who have benefitted the most in their use of the compensatory picks

3 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Don't forget the obligatory "Super bowl!" salute every time some scrub that adds to the back end of the roster is signed.

It might just barely have registered as humorous the first time. 

"Ralph is cheap"

3 hours ago, Doc said:

If they do cut Keenum, the Bills can just cut Poona Ford.

Which would effectively accomplish what? Wouldn't that just give another draft pick to the Patriots?

3 hours ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

I’ll pile on with the requisite “get ‘er done Beane” whenever anyone is available via trade 

"I've heard of him!"

3 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

So in that case, maybe the Chiefs will cut Mahomes and we could sign him for the veteran minimum.

Who gets the compensatory draft pick then?

2 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

Hmmm... Beane might be reluctant to make that call. As has been pointed out, that would be an invitation for Nick Caserio to bluff Beane and then Beane would have to decide whether to call his bluff. Or is it a bluff?

2 hours ago, KCNC said:

People tend to forget Keenum sucked in all preseason games last year.  Maybe not as many turnovers as K Allen, but he did not impress.  I personally don't want him back.

Could we simply trade a draft pick to Houston in exchange for them NOT cutting Keenum?

6 hours ago, Lothar said:

If Keenum is cut by the Texans, we apparently lose the Edmunds 3rd round pick. We need to either ensure the Texans keep him or we need to trade for him - Joe B says 6th or 7th but he might actually be worth a 4th to us in that scenario. 

Do you have a link or reference to that?

The Texans have $4M guaranteed reasons to keep Keenum as the canny vet mentor for CJ Stroud. 

I agree with those who have said Davis Mills may be the better QB at this point, but that's not the whole of the equation for the Texans.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Thoroughly speculative studies based upon nebulous data I fabricated prove 3 out of 5 TSWers enjoy the New England Conditional Draft Pick fallacy.  You and sourpuss Limeaid may file protests with the appropriate agencies.

There'll be at least three protests. This one's like month-old sushi, IMO.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

That is wild if true.

So, the Texans hold all the leverage here.  They could tell the Bills give us your 4th rounder next year for Keenum or you're going to lose your 3rd.  LOL.

10 hours ago, Lothar said:

If Keenum is cut by the Texans, we apparently lose the Edmunds 3rd round pick. We need to either ensure the Texans keep him or we need to trade for him - Joe B says 6th or 7th but he might actually be worth a 4th to us in that scenario. 

Joe Buscaglia disagrees:

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Do you think the Bills do it for a fourth?

if it actually works like we speculate:

our 4th, assuming we pick in the late 20s at best, and a pick after the end of round 3, might (depending on the total number of compensatory 3rds to be used) be one full round of difference. 

So then it becomes how much money it would be worth (paying keenum) to upgrade my 4th by one entire round (around 30 picks upgrade, not just 12 or 15).  And a function of what my scouts think might be available in those ranges next year.

also, if it works like we speculate, the Texans should be blowin up Beane's phone.   To get a free 4th for somebody i was gonna cut anyway.   And we dont care if the Bills get a 3rd round comp since we arent in the AFCE.

Edited by maddenboy

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.