The 2023 - ??? Edmunds Report

FireChans

I figured Edmunds might struggle with the Bears due to the scheme differences and lesser players around him, but man o man, other than week 2, he has not impressed whatsoever. Barely looks average out there. Slow twitch.

With the Bills I could at least watch most games all-22 and see him often take away a read and force QB's to pull the ball down, go somewhere else with it, etc. but I just don't see that now with CHI-Town, not that I am looking at their all-22. Its just obvious, and not in a good way. He needs a very specific scheme to excel in the middle of a defense apparently.

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

My view was that he was mostly average which is not a great return for a player you traded up for in Round 1.  

Out of his entire career I can only think of a few main highlights:

- The huge hit on Lamar Jackson that knocked him out of the Division playoff game.

- Knocking away a deep pass from Mike Gesicki over the middle in the wildcard game against Miami.

- Absolutely crushing a running back causing an incomplete pass in the same game above.  

Am I forgetting any others?

I was just thinking about his hit in the Miami game & trying to remember any other times he really made a hit. The only one I could think of was when he knocked Dane Jackson out cold.

Yep, Edmunds' hardest hit as a Bill was on a teammate.

38 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

I remember him turning his hips and running to knock a pass down against MIN. Also catching a ball that was thrown directly to him against HOU for a rare INT. But when we’re touting routine plays as memorable, that’s pretty damning of the player. He had no signature games (or even game changing plays) as far as I remember.

Good call on the Houston INT.  That goes back to his rookie season though!!!  

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

My view was that he was mostly average which is not a great return for a player you traded up for in Round 1.  

- The huge hit on Lamar Jackson that knocked him out of the Division playoff game.

- Knocking away a deep pass from Mike Gesicki over the middle in the wildcard game against Miami.

- Absolutely crushing a running back causing an incomplete pass in the same game above.  

He had a sack on Tannehil coming off the edge his rookie year. Very limited 

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Watched some last night and WOW he looks bad.

Even as a long time Edmunds detractor (who came around on him a bit last year), I'm shocked by just how bad he looks out there. And it isnt just being part of a really bad team, which he is. But Edmunds himself looks slow and soft when playing and in pursuit.

There was one play in the 4th quarter where Howell threw a pass over him and Edmunds jumped liked he was going to try to bat it, but then didnt lift his arms up to even try and just fell on the ground. He looked more like a little kid pretending to be a WWE wrestler than a professional getting paid $18M/year.

I'm going to try to not come back to this thread because this subject is done as far as I'm concerned personally. The Bills made the right choice in letting him walk. Tremaine got paid but will likely never develop into what his potential could have been. Moving on.

He had another whiff on Howell in the pocket for the easy sack. 

I know Howell is actually a tough guy to bring down, but it’s the same old story with Tremaine, sadly. You get paid/drafted in the first to MAKE those plays. 

28 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I’m guessing that during his time as a Bill he was on the field for 4000-5000 snaps, yet people struggle to come up with more than a few game changing plays.  That sums up why he is no longer a Buffalo Bill. 

You really do have to rack your brain to find some of these moments. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I’m guessing that during his time as a Bill he was on the field for 4000-5000 snaps, yet people struggle to come up with more than a few game changing plays.  That sums up why he is no longer a Buffalo Bill. 

you're right about everything about why hes not a bill performance wise. However,  if his price tag was 5 million a year, we'd be stuck with him. They simply couldn't afford him. Broken clocks are right twice a day. 

Edited by DeltaDigital

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Good call on the Houston INT.  That goes back to his rookie season though!!!  

That was 2021 actually! I had been talking trash about Edmunds to my sister about how he never makes any plays and it was her first game at Highmark and it figures Davis Mills would throw a pick directly to Edmunds 😅

14 hours ago, Rigotz said:

He's one of the least graceful NFL players I've ever seen. He looks good dropping into zone coverage, but anything he's asked to do just looks so awkward.

• Agree 1

If Bears fans are feeling down aboht Edmunds, or Ryan Poles is having buyer’s remorse, send these talking points to them that were regurgitated over and over while he was here:

- Edmunds takes away the middle of the field, QBs are scared to throw in his direction.

- Edmunds impact doesn’t show up on the stat sheet, but I promise he’s making plays.

- It’s not Edmunds job to rack up sacks and INTs, that’s not his position. 

- You don’t understand the defense and Edmunds role in that defense. He’s a top 5 MLB.

- Edmunds is really young and still improving. He’s basically a rookie. 

- Edmunds is the evolution of the MLB. Anyone complaining about him just wants Mike Singletary, Ray Lewis, Brandon Spikes, and other such thumpers. That’s just not the NFL anymore.

Did I leave any out? I’m sure those points will make the organization feel better.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

I'm around Bears fans all the time. I told everyone who was excited about the signing that they'd hate Edmunds within a few games. They resisted for a few weeks because he had some good tackle numbers, but it seems now he's almost universally hated by the fans.

The thing that Bears fans are mostly mad about, is that they could've kept Roquan Smith for roughly the same money they paid Edmunds. They want the GM's head.

6 hours ago, Doc said:

Again I'm glad the Bears made it easy for the Bills by massively overpaying him. 

This is a good point. Our front office "loved him, didn’t want to lose him" and were in constant talks about re-signing. Send a huge thanks to Chicago and Ryan Poles for taking the decision out of our hands. 

You can't pay that much money for an off-the-ball linebacker.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Missing multiple interception opportunities like the ball is covered in Crisco and his hands are pinball flappers.

15 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

“Edmunds impact doesn’t show up on the stat sheet”

This is probably the biggest cop out ever.  You’re basically saying he doesn’t have to make big plays.  Why can’t he do things that “don’t show up on the stat sheet” while also making big plays.  

Let me ask you this - if Edmunds is a top 5 MLB, please tell me a time when he has made a game changing play.  

I think he was listing lame excuses... I don't think he actually shares those opinions

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

“Edmunds impact doesn’t show up on the stat sheet”

This is probably the biggest cop out ever.  You’re basically saying he doesn’t have to make big plays.  Why can’t he do things that “don’t show up on the stat sheet” while also making big plays.  

Let me ask you this - if Edmunds is a top 5 MLB, please tell me a time when he has made a game changing play.  

Whooooooosh

49 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Zombie thread

Personally i think the thread titles should be shortened to "The Edmunds Report" and be permanently pinned on the first page. This is the most therapeutic carthatic thread on TBD.  It has developed its own Zen quality as it has gone along. 

Edited by Chaos
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, MiracleAtRich1393 said:

I was always in the camp of he's good for what he's asked to do which is zone coverage and if he's covered up by great DTs then he can be serviceable at run support, but I live in Chicago and he's been HIGHLY exposed this year. Bears fans love their MLB's, and I got several texts last night from casual Bears fans along the lines of "what's up with Edmunds did we get a lemon and you didn't tell us??"

I was a major Bernard skeptic going into the season but the guy just has it. He's a MIKE Milano. Edmunds is a robot out there, and to me it looks like he's at the point where he almost doesn't even care now that he got paid. Gotta give Beane & McDermott huge credit on this one.

It kind of feels like he somewhat performed well here because he had a great system and good players around him, now he's in Chicago and he has none of that. Bernard has that now and he's just playing better he just seems to add more to it.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, JohnNord said:

He gave a couple of our own guys concussions lol

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, 97bills said:

I have no idea how he got that big contract, like no one watched the tape. 

If I recall, he had a very good game against the Colts in the 2020 playoffs.  9 tackles and 2 pass breakups or something like that.  Eberflus was coaching the Colts, maybe that impressed him?

11 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Edmundo has 1 tkl. I guess he's been stopping Ekeler in the middle. He only has 4 for 68 and a tuddy. Imagine if the Scarecrow wasn't protecting the grass.

Its time to feel sorry for Bears fans, with regards to this free agent signing .

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.