Josh Allen: Assistant Offensive Coordinator?

BigAl2526

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bills-qb-josh-allen-calling-plays/ar-AA1fg7SI?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=be03b8a54a004cdf81a938dea0bcf5ef&ei=45

Josh Allen called plays from the sideline during at least part of the time the Bills were on offense on Saturday.  Peyton Manning was known for calling his own plays for a good part of his career.  I wonder if this little experiment could lead the Bills to follow the precedent of Manning, who was essentially an assistant offensive coordinator for the Colts in addition to his role as a Hall of Fame caliber QB.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I would not say nothing. Something is more than nothing. I would say they do this so JA can call his own 2-minute drills if anything. and that is something. 

he already can audible and make play calls for himself. 

id chalk it up as 75% giving the guys a little entertainment in the dog days of august.

Calling plays in a 2 min drill will be way different than in the 3rd quarter from the sideline. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

he already can audible and make play calls for himself. 

id chalk it up as 75% giving the guys a little entertainment in the dog days of august.

Calling plays in a 2 min drill will be way different than in the 3rd quarter from the sideline. 

I'm sure it was so Allen had a part in the game.  No doubt he would have preferred to be playing in the game even though he knows the injury risk is not worth it for a meaningless game.  Yet the competitor and football player in him would rather play than sit out.

Edited by AuntieEm
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Good way to keep continuity in the O scheme.  He’s going to keep getting coordinators promoted ( another reason the HC should be the offensive guru), this way at least Allen will have a sense of what the scheme is to keep it all rolling.

Anyone remember in 2009 when Dick Jauron, under renowned football mind and general manager Russ Brandon, decided to celebrate the 50th year of the Bills' existence by asking Trent Edwards to run a no-huddle offense? This happened. Alex Van Pelt was the offensive coordinator, and everyone was just kind of like "Hey, remember when the Bills were good? They ran a no-huddle! Perhaps we should run a no-huddle THIS year! It can't fail!"

It was a big deal. Articles were written. Predictions of a return to glory -- behind players like the newly signed Terrell Owens and second year breakout candidate James Hardy (RIP) and speedy tight end Sean Nelson -- were made. This all happened. I swear it wasn't just a fever dream. Here, let me find proof...

"New" No-Huddle Bills Resemble '90s Greats

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/246369-new-no-huddle-bills-resembles-90s-greats#:~:text=In 2009 the Bills will,execute the no-huddle offense.

Good gravy. What a time to be alive that was. THOSE were the days. Yes indeedy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Chaos said:

Do mean A-Gun?   

Nope. The K-Gun was named for tight end Keith McKeller. So the new "Gun" name would be for Dawson or Dalton. It could be both, which would make it the DD-Gun. And I think many would agree, double-D is better than D. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Fleezoid said:

Nope. The K-Gun was named for tight end Keith McKeller. So the new "Gun" name would be for Dawson or Dalton. It could be both, which would make it the DD-Gun. And I think many would agree, double-D is better than D. 

Everything I can find says the K Gun was named for Jim Kelly.  

• Dislike 1

On 8/16/2023 at 4:55 PM, Logic said:

Anyone remember in 2009 when Dick Jauron, under renowned football mind and general manager Russ Brandon, decided to celebrate the 50th year of the Bills' existence by asking Trent Edwards to run a no-huddle offense? This happened. Alex Van Pelt was the offensive coordinator, and everyone was just kind of like "Hey, remember when the Bills were good? They ran a no-huddle! Perhaps we should run a no-huddle THIS year! It can't fail!"

It was a big deal. Articles were written. Predictions of a return to glory -- behind players like the newly signed Terrell Owens and second year breakout candidate James Hardy (RIP) and speedy tight end Sean Nelson -- were made

Yes it happened - a monumentally stupid coaching decision to plan for a no huddle offense with the personnel at hand. To this day, I haven't understood what Jauron saw in the players you think this would work. It failed, miserably 

16 minutes ago, boater said:

You have ONE blog article citing the K-Gun being other than Jim Kelly. You'll need more than that to convince me.

Whether you're convinced or not, it is considered an historical fact that the K was indeed in reference to Keith McKeller.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.