"Q Collar" being worn by 2 Bills players

Beck Water

It’s a big thing in the youth club lacrosse scene.  Started seeing them here and there last summer.  Not exactly sure how they help to prevent concussions, but I know they are very expensive (~$125).  This summer they were everywhere.  I believe the Premier Lacrosse League was one of their first major sponsors.

• Like (+1) 2

Have you guys heard of that magnetic bracelet you wear on your wrist.  I saw it on a TV infomercial.  That looks dope.  Supposed to heal EVERYTHING! Also, there is this rock thing that you take on as a pet.  Check it out!

• Haha (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Anyone heard of this device?  AJ Klein has apparently been wearing one, and this season apparently Dean Marlowe has joined him:

It sounds kinda weird to me, anyone here know anything about it?

Its basically a **** ring for your brain.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, phypon said:

Have you guys heard of that magnetic bracelet you wear on your wrist.  I saw it on a TV infomercial.  That looks dope.  Supposed to heal EVERYTHING! Also, there is this rock thing that you take on as a pet.  Check it out!

What does this have to do with a Q Collar?

One would infer from your poor use of sarcasm that because a magnetic bracelet was said to heal EVERYTHING on an infomercial and that pet rocks existed/still exist, a Q Collar is either pseudoscience or akin to a chunk of hard earth. 

Edited by WEATHER DOT COM
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

24 minutes ago, phypon said:

Have you guys heard of that magnetic bracelet you wear on your wrist.  I saw it on a TV infomercial.

Unlike the magnetic bracelet, this device has gone through a series of peer-reviewed scientific studies with results published in reputable research journals. Small animal, large animal, and human testing strongly suggest that it's both effective and safe.

https://q30.com/pages/fda-reviewed

https://www.flipsnack.com/qcollar/selected-published-studies/full-view.html

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Unlike the magnetic bracelet, this device has gone through a series of peer-reviewed scientific studies with results published in reputable research journals. Small animal, large animal, and human testing strongly suggest that it's both effective and safe.

If true every player should be wearing them.  They should want to.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

49 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Its basically a **** ring for your brain.

It keeps your brain stiff and inflexible?

25 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Thanks, this is exactly the sort of information I was hoping to gain in response.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

It keeps your brain stiff and inflexible?

Thanks, this is exactly the sort of information I was hoping to gain in response.

Its trapping additional blood in the head above the ring.  Its the exact same principle.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/19/sports/concussion-q-collar.html

Edited by Jauronimo

41 minutes ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

One would infer from your poor use of sarcasm that because a magnetic bracelet was said to heal EVERYTHING on an infomercial and that pet rocks existed/still exist, a Q Collar is either pseudoscience or akin to a chunk of hard earth. 

Easy Weather.Com! This is one of those non-serious posts if I'm readin correctly. No need for a personal slam here.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

This is not something Dick Butkus would wear 

No sir.. but Post Butkus era, they wore extra heavy padding behind the neck. 

Got to love advanced technology. 

Many thought it was just fashion statements... but many NFL retired players would tell you... they felt it saved them from more neck/head injuries...

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Reminds me of wearing sea bands on a ship.  It can't hurt and somebody is making a fortune off it.

And the league and its players can afford these things. But of course there's a stupid vanity element that prevents some players from wearing certain things because it doesn't look cool. Remember Antonio Brown and the helmet drama?

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.0f44e9d25cf4a8e1c9f7cd3da6782cad.jpeg
Not all players on all teams are as impressed with the product.

That was during beta testing... btw William Shatner is 92 freaking years old... long live Kirk!!!

41 minutes ago, peterpan said:

If true every player should be wearing them.  They should want to.

You would think.

26 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Its trapping additional blood in the head above the ring.  Its the exact same principle.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/19/sports/concussion-q-collar.html

So in principle, it would also make your tongue more stiff and elongated... 

17 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Yes!  Few are aware that Coach Hank Bullough wore the first prototype of the device during his coaching 'Reign of Error' in 1986.

And I believe he inherited the practice from his predecessor, Kay Stephenson during the "Offensive Offensive" of 1985.

2 hours ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

Oh, I didn't realize that the Q collar will prevent concussions when you get hit in the head very hard.  It sounds like a great data tool, but it's not preventing anything and I was just messing around.  Lighten up.

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

It’s a big thing in the youth club lacrosse scene.  Started seeing them here and there last summer.  Not exactly sure how they help to prevent concussions, but I know they are very expensive (~$125).  This summer they were everywhere.  I believe the Premier Lacrosse League was one of their first major sponsors.

a number of PLL and college players wearing them. Why not just bring back the old neck tie?? 

From FDA on February 26, 2021:

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-authorizes-marketing-novel-device-help-protect-athletes-brains-during-head-impacts

Today, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration authorized marketing of a new device intended to be worn around the neck of athletes aged 13 years and older during sports activities to aid in the protection of the brain from the effects associated with repetitive sub-concussive head impacts. The non-invasive device, called Q-Collar, is a C-shaped collar that applies compressive force to the neck and increases blood volume to help reduce movement of the brain within the cranial space which may occur during head impacts. The device may reduce the occurrence of specific changes in the brain that are associated with brain injury.

“Today’s action provides an additional piece of protective equipment athletes can wear when playing sports to help protect their brains from the effects of repetitive head impacts while still wearing the personal protective equipment associated with the sport,” said Christopher M. Loftus, M.D., acting director of the Office of Neurological and Physical Medicine Devices in the FDA’s Center for Devices and Radiological Health.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Anyone heard of this device?  AJ Klein has apparently been wearing one, and this season apparently Dean Marlowe has joined him:

It sounds kinda weird to me, anyone here know anything about it?

Don't tell Tua

• Haha (+1) 2

They could also combine it with some of the more advanced helmets which have not been approved.  Some have suggested that NFL has not allowed them because they are not sponsors hence not getting on approved list.  Of course there is resistance from NFL players and NFLPA with the NFLPA saying they are concerned about safety but defend players who have deliberately injured other players; at minimum they should be neutral since the players injured are also members of the union.  NFLPA also resisted additional equipment NFL mandated.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I apologize for not having earlier identified this as New York Jets defensive players testing prototype devices under defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, during the 2020 season.

• Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

You sir, have ‘throttled’ the competition for post of the day, congratulations! Please be on the lookout for porch pirates who will doubtless (nay, inevitably) be intercepting your Certificate suitable for framing!

5 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

a number of PLL and college players wearing them. Why not just bring back the old neck tie?? 

3 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Hadn't been invented yet. 

Looks like you have to brush up on your NFL history... concussions had been invented by that time but Butkus didn't get any because concussions were afraid of him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.