Has Miami really closed the gap?

billsbackto81

41 minutes ago, noacls said:

I am a Bills Fan, however:

Dolphins have better coaching

Bills almost lost to backup QB in playoffs 

No one can make excuses like a Bills Fan

More worried about Miami than Jets. Bills do not do well with speed. Miami is all speed

Rookie coach that backed into the playoffs is better? I kinda understand considering how McD has handled the last 2 postseasons, but I feel it's too soon to debate.

Almost lost is still a loss and if you look at the stats of that game it was more of what Buffalo did wrong instead of what Miami did right.

Personally I'm more worried about the Jets.  Their D has proven legit and gave us fits. Bills always put up monster numbers against Miami. 

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, noacls said:

More worried about Miami than Jets. Bills do not do well with speed. Miami is all speed

Who cares if they almost lost?  They didn't.  And when you're playing a division opponent, all bets are off since the teams know and are built for each other.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, noacls said:

Clueless.  Not even worth the time to point out all the reasons why.  Study up and come back with some real arguments, “Bills Fan”.  

16 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I think the jury is still out on how good of an NFL coach McDaniel is. 

I don't like him as a person because of how he handled Tua's injuries and then having the moxie to come out in a press conference and say that he would never put a player out there who wasn't safe to play....   right after the entire NFL watched him do just that!  

He put Tua back out against the Bills when he was clearly not safe to play, and to maintain the charade, he sent him back out 5 days later on a short week and nearly got him killed against the Bengals.

He said he would never sacrifice a player to get a win.  Does anyone believe that?   Not a fan.

McDaniel is an arrogant tool, and totally responsible for their Tua related issues, given that if had he done the right thing to begin with, they probably could have avoided the worst of it.  Additionally, their offense regressed dramatically under Tua after his return from the concussions.  McDaniel is no genius, and a poor leader IMO.  

• Like (+1) 2

I will admit it: I thought Mike McDaniel was a little punk who was way over his head as a HC.

But, even though he sounds incoherent to me when he talks to the media, he's apparently Got It Going On when he tries to relate to the players.

Last year they believed, and they went hard for him.  But their record was still only 9-8.  McDaniel took over a Dolphins team that was 10-6 then 9-8 the two years before he took over.   And it's not like it was a talentless team, or a team with a bad culture; they actually had a lot of talent.   So he, as of now, has not shown that the team has taken a step vs. previous coaches/seasons.

That said....a lot of head coaches have a good 1st season because the change brings new energy and buy-in to the team, only to fizzle for various reasons. 

Matt Nagy: before he arrived 5-11.  First year 12-4.  Then 8-8 x2, 6-11 FIRED

Adam Gase: before he arrived 6-10.  First year 10-6.  Then 6-10, 7-9, FIRED

Todd Bowles: before he arrived 4-12.  First year 10-6.  Then 5-11 x2, 4-12, FIRED

That's not the only pattern of course. My points are:

1) McDaniel didn't achieve a better record with his team during his 1st season

2) McDaniel inherited a team with a lot of talent, including the QB he's apparently gonna ride-and-die with, Waddle, Gesicki, etc

3) It's early days to tell whether McDaniel will, long term, improve the team's record.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

I just honestly don't see it with Miami. Tua is constantly hurt and even when he plays he isn't much more than a poor mans Matt Ryan which while not a bad QB is not a QB that pushes a team towards contention. Their RB's are decent but nothing spectacular and their O-line is below average. Hill and Waddle are super dynamic but there isn't much on their roster once you get past those two so that puts a lot of pressure on those two. 

I don't think Miami is bad, their defense is good even without Ramsey and they have some talent on offense. But between Tua's injury concerns and a lackluster O-line and skill position depth, I don't see them being much more than a decent 8-10 win team. I a more concerned about the Jets in the division and even the Jets have massive O-line concerns. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

And what credible outlet do you use as a resource? You'll find plenty of analysts and pundits on NFL Network, PFF, etc saying the same thing.

I have no outlets that would tell me what you feel you are reading about on Twitter or watching on YouTube.

Now you are saying it is specific mainstream analysts mentioning Miami in the same breath as KC and Buffalo as what? Top SB contenders?

just link me to that then.  This is what I was asking for before

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 1

One thing working for Miami is they do have the only offensive minded head coach in the AFC East.

Who I would also say is the best offensive coordinator in the AFC east.

And with Vic Fangio, on defense that would put them as having the best two coordinators in the division.

But what about Bellichick… historically he’s great, but he’s not what he was five seasons ago.  And McDermott?  Let’s see how long it takes for him to shake the rust off.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Is this closing the gap?

Didn’t Eli clown them last time?

21 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I have no outlets that would tell me what you feel you are reading about on Twitter or watching on YouTube.

Now you are saying it is specific mainstream analysts mentioning Miami in the same breath as KC and Buffalo as what? Top SB contenders?

just link me to that then.  This is what I was asking for before

I’m so sick and tired of nobody saying the Dolphins have closed the gap!

I truly believe that there is a significant gap between the Bills, and all 3 teams in the division.  Miami represents the biggest competition, but they're not at our level.

That doesn't mean games w/ them won't be tough.  They are division games, after all. But in the close ones we had w/ them last year, it was more poor play by the Bills than good play by Miami that was a factor.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

One thing working for Miami is they do have the only offensive minded head coach in the AFC East.

Who I would also say is the best offensive coordinator in the AFC east.

And with Vic Fangio, on defense that would put them as having the best two coordinators in the division.

But what about Bellichick… historically he’s great, but he’s not what he was five seasons ago.  And McDermott?  Let’s see how long it takes for him to shake the rust off.

I don’t get the love for Fangio-honestly what has he done that makes him this amazing def. Coordinator? One that automatically makes him the top guy in the division. Admittedly I had to look up the guy’s name, but the Jets guy has been there for a couple of years and they do (unfortunately have a great defense) and you are just ranking Fangio above McDermott and Belichik. I’m not saying you’re wrong,  but I don’t understand what Fangio has done that makes him this amazing coordinator 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Billl said:

Did you have an issue with this line from the OP?  “Constantly being mentioned in the same breath as KC, Cincinnati and Buffalo”?

Bills fans don’t seem to have a problem putting themselves in the same category as the Bengals and Chiefs, but they tend to get offended when someone puts the Dolphins in the same category as the Bills.  So my question is, if Miami hasn’t shown that they belong in a conversation with Buffalo, what has Buffalo done to belong in a conversation with Kansas City?

Tf out w this

You're a coin flip from being 0-3 vs Bills last 3 years and all home games at that

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Tf out w this

You're a coin flip from being 0-3 vs Bills last 3 years and all home games at that

The Bengals and Chiefs have been to the last 4 Super Bowls and have knocked the Bills out of the playoffs for 3 straight seasons.  That must have been one hell of a coin flip.

• Eyeroll 1

10 minutes ago, Billl said:

The Bengals and Chiefs have been to the last 4 Super Bowls and have knocked the Bills out of the playoffs for 3 straight seasons.  That must have been one hell of a coin flip.

Cool. It’s time for something new to happen. Who is better poised to step into the top echelon? I suggest the Bills may get their turn, because that is often how things go. There are some teams at the top, and they take turns visiting the pinnacle. 

But you, you seem to expect, or maybe even hope for, disappointing Bills fans. 

• Agree 1

On 7/28/2023 at 8:05 PM, billsbackto81 said:

Do the numbers lie? Thoughts?

Personally I'm growing tired of how their fans and the media keep hyping this team. Yes, they have a decent team on paper but what have they proven? Constantly being mentioned in the same breath as KC, Cincinnati and Buffalo. Now I do realize the final score is all that matters. But is it really that close when you look at the numbers?

Week 3/ Miami 21 Bills 19

Total yards.  Miami 212 Bills 497

Passing.       Miami 171 Bills 382

Rushing.       Miami  41 Bills 115

Avg play.      Miami 5.  Bills 6

3rd Downs.  Miami  37% Bills 61%

TOP.             Miami  19:20 Bills 40:40

Wildcard Game/ Bills 34 Miami 31

Total yards.     Miami 231 Bills 423

Passing.           Miami 189 Bills 316

Rushing.             Miami 42   Bills  107

Avg play.            Miami  3     Bills 6

3rd Downs.      Miami 25%  Bills 56%

TOP                  Miami 27:47 Bills 32:13

I'll spare you the details of all the injuries and misfortunes that fell upon our team last year.

Buffalo has dominated this team more than any other. Statistically its not even close! I just don't get the hype.

Shirt answer- NO!  When Tua starts playing half as well as Josh Super Allen, we’ll talk.  They’ll be nice competition for the Jests.

Thing about Miami right now is i hate the fact I’m going to be watching sports talk show in the near future and they are going to discuss how Tua’s life after football is horrible with headaches and CTE - and how the nfl didn’t do enough.

yet we have all been screaming for him to quit and no one is throwing in the towel to save this kids life 

really sad 

• Haha (+1) 1

I think the Jets are the bigger threat. Rodgers even at his current age is still a very good QB. Tua at his best isn't nearly as good as Rodgers. The chances of him staying healthy are slim and none. The Jets D is solid. They made life tough for the Bills offense in both games last season. I expect two tough games again this year.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/30/2023 at 4:28 AM, Drew21PA said:

Thing about Miami right now is i hate the fact I’m going to be watching sports talk show in the near future and they are going to discuss how Tua’s life after football is horrible with headaches and CTE - and how the nfl didn’t do enough.

yet we have all been screaming for him to quit and no one is throwing in the towel to save this kids life 

really sad 

Not an attack and just curious here...but do you feel the same way when it comes to Mitch Morse?

I think Miami did a good job hiring McDaniel and their new DC is also a good hire.  They have talent too.  With the Jets I think they have a legit roster and if Rodgers if focused/rejuvenated and last year had more to do with a thumb injury they will be a tough out.  The Jets are always a tough out for the Bills for whatever reason.   The Patriots will "play good defense and run the ball" and so they will win some games also.  But they all have to play the Bills twice.  It is not as clear cut the Bills own the East this year but until someone knocks them off the hill, the Bills are still there.

On 7/29/2023 at 6:34 PM, stinky finger said:

We’re better, but the threat is real. 

Yup, In division games are the key to the post season, and are always to be taken seriously,

so let’s rag doll Tua all game long, 😁

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.