Buffalo News increasing the cost of their subscription to $28.99 per month

Greetings *Former Buffalo Bills GM Tom Donahoe*,

The Buffalo News is where your story lives. Thank you for being a valued subscriber. We’re updating our prices to help bring you more coverage of the region, with the best user experience on our website and newly designed mobile app.

To continue to bring the best in local, regional and national news, effective 2023-07-25 00:00, your rate will change to $28.99 a month. Your next charge will reflect this new rate.

Our newsroom's unmatched depth and experience makes it uniquely able to cover these historic times – and we've only just begun. We're hiring more journalists to track and explain the region's changing economy; our Bills coverage has added fresh voices and new videos; and our watchdog team, already the best around, has grown.

Your subscription includes personalized content. Sign up for breaking news alerts and get the latest updates on your phone. Lose yourself in thousands of videos and photo galleries you can’t find anywhere else. Our E-edition gives you access to dive into a full year of past editions.

No further action is required on your behalf. You may manage your subscription anytime by visiting BuffaloNews.com/myaccount or calling 716-842-1111.

We’re honored to tell the stories of Western New York. Thank you for your continued support.

Tom Wiley

President and Publisher

I really do enjoy reading their sports coverage, but $28.99 per month? That's just nuts IMO. I was paying $13 per month and was debating it at that price.

Does that seem outrageous to anyone else? I don't have a lot to compare it to.

Meanwhile, new customers get $1 for 26 weeks then renews at $10.99 per month? WTH

• Like (+1) 4
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 7

13 minutes ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

I kept hanging on through several price increases, but they've done lost their minds with this one

All while slashing the quality of the paper. The Buffalo News was one of the last decent local papers. But Lee Enterprises is a newspaper killer.

2 minutes ago, BringBackFlutie said:

If you pay to run an ad in the paper do you also get reader access?

No idea

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Who still gets the newspaper? Dropped the daily when my mom's dementia got bad enough she couldn't read the paper. Kept Sundays  but stoped delivery when it went up to $3.00. Brother and I would split it but then stoped buying it when the Sunday went up to $4.00 and then $5.00 within months.

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah, me too! This is unbelievable!

Greetings, Gullible Doofus,

The Buffalo News is where your story lives. Thank you for being a valued subscriber. We’re updating our prices to help bring you more coverage of the region, with the best user experience on our website and newly designed mobile app.

To continue to bring the best in local, regional and national news, effective 1899-07-25, your rate will change to $1,000,000 a month. Your next charge will reflect this new rate.

Our newsroom's unmatched depth and experience makes it uniquely able to cover these historic times – and we've only just begun. We're hiring more journalists to track and explain the region's changing economy; our Bills coverage has added fresh voices and new videos; and our watchdog team, already the best around, has grown.

Your subscription includes personalized content. Sign up for breaking news alerts and get the latest updates on your phone. Lose yourself in thousands of videos and photo galleries you can’t find anywhere else. Our E-edition gives you access to dive into a full year of past editions.

No further action is required on your behalf. You may manage your subscription anytime by visiting BuffaloNews.com/myaccount or calling 716-842-1111.

We’re honored to tell the stories of Western New York. Thank you for your continued support.

Tom Wiley

President and Publisher

54 minutes ago, BringBackFlutie said:

Yes. That's outrageous. You could get all the news channels + HBO for that price. 

AND you could afford a book of crossword puzzles as well! 

I used to enjoy the newspaper years ago when we lived in smaller towns. The Atlanta paper is like a phone book full of stuff I don’t care about, and about to follow the phone book out of existence. 

I switched to digital over a year ago.  However, if that is going to be the new rate for digital, I'll just drop them.  Likely they will reach out and offer me a deal, which I may or may not consider.  I hate to see local press die out, but their rate increases have just been ridiculous.  

Just now, jkeerie said:

I switched to digital over a year ago.  However, if that is going to be the new rate for digital, I'll just drop them.  Likely they will reach out and offer me a deal, which I may or may not consider.  I hate to see local press die out, but their rate increases have just been ridiculous.  

Does this feel the the Sunday Ticket all over again? That was a joke! A bad joke. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

I really do enjoy reading their sports coverage, but $28.99 per month? That's just nuts IMO. I was paying $13 per month and was debating it at that price.

Meanwhile, new customers get $1 for 26 weeks then renews at $10.99 per month? WTH

New customers are always devalued by salesmen who get bonuses based on new customers.

My wife stopped BJs membership for a month and changed email address so she could get offer to new customers only.

It requires auto renew so we will just cancel credit card before end of period.

Did the $1 for 6 months hoping Bills would win the SB and I could read local coverage. Pfffttt...wasn't worth the dollar with all the ads popping up alone. Very frustrating to try to read digitally. Cancelled, they low balled like $10 for 6 months or something to continue. The ad BS just wasn't worth it. 

• Like (+1) 1

If people aren’t going to pay for local press, don’t complain when all you have left is Skip Bayless types.

They aren’t raising the price because they want a new sports car. They’re doing it because they are barely staying afloat.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

That's the last cry of a dying business. Just trying to cash out as much as possible from their active subscribers who either don't pay enough attention or are too senile to realize that their price suddenly skyrocketed.

failing restaurants do this.  They cut quantity.  Then cut quality.   Because that's how you INCREASE business? 

it is exactly 180 degress the Wrong thing to do.

If you plan to stay in business, that is.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

failing restaurants do this.  They cut quantity.  Then cut quality.   Because that's how you INCREASE business? 

it is exactly 180 degress the Wrong thing to do.

If you plan to stay in business, that is.

Lee Enterprises who owns 77 Daily Newspapers and has been in business since 1890, will be reaching out to you shortly to learn how to run newspapers.  Please be on standby for their call. 

• Haha (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Einstein said:

If people aren’t going to pay for local press, don’t complain when all you have left is Skip Bayless types.

They aren’t raising the price because they want a new sports car. They’re doing it because they are barely staying afloat.

This righty here ^^^

. That and too many people want something for nothing…, if folk don’t in some fashion support local businesses, the all go away, be it the local true value hardware store, restaurants, newspapers, cleaners, etc etc, shop small when ever you can, it will help the town you live in, those folks are our neighbors. 👍

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

40 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Guilt is a way to advertise for a charity.  Is that what newspapers are now? Should they have Sara McLaughlin sing along to video of newspaper columnists being laid off?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I refuse to be a Buffalo News subscriber again.

I tried home delivery at their teaser rates. When the morning paper would arrive at 2 PM, if at all, I attempted to cancel. You have to navigate a complex phone tree and be willing to wait on hold for an hour to cancel. All by design of course. Even when you finally break through to a person, then you're subject to high-pressure sales tactics to stay.

Scoundrels.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

If that's the new price, it is outrageous. To be honest, I am having a hard time believing that price. 

We still have paper boxes so you can get one whenever you want. I use it for packing when I mail stuff.

I'm good with their 5 free articles a month.

Larry Felser in the Sunday sports section was great though.

• Like (+1) 1

Our local paper in Albany charges $27.72/month.  The BN price looks like the going rate.  I get 3 papers Albany Times Union $27.72, Buffalo News soon to be $28.99 & Newsday $10.76.  That's $67.47/mo.  To put it in perspective, I used to be able to get all 3 printed editions in downtown Albany 15 years ago & when I add in the Sunday papers the cost was pretty close to what I'm paying now in 2023 for the 3 papers on-line editions, although I suspect Newsday will be going up soon.  The only thing that might keep the price down is that Newsday is competing with the NY Daily News & NY Post, while Albany & Buffalo are basically 1 newspaper cities.  

2 hours ago, Wacka said:

Who still gets the newspaper? Dropped the daily when my mom's dementia got bad enough she couldn't read the paper. Kept Sundays  but stoped delivery when it went up to $3.00. Brother and I would split it but then stoped buying it when the Sunday went up to $4.00 and then $5.00 within months.

This is the e-edition

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Totally fine. But as a current customer it isn't worth 28.99, that's my point. Albert Einstein would have noticed this subtlety

Edited by Tom Donahoe, GM

I dropped my seven day subscription about a year ago…. I’m not going to be the guy who craps all over print, because compared to television, they actually do some good in depth work, but the increasing price, coupled with the growing amount of subscription services I pay for made the BN expendable. Then they charged me a $5 cancellation fee.  Vowed they would never see another dime from me. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

This is the e-edition

Totally fine. But as a current customer it isn't worth 28.99, that's my point. Albert Einstein would have noticed this subtlety

Why even pay a dime for online Buffalo news stories? A hard copy once in awhile sure but there are tons of places to get Buffalo news online. Just make sure you have ABP , Ad Blocker Pro on you device.

4 minutes ago, T&C said:

Why even pay a dime for online Buffalo news stories? A hard copy once in awhile sure but there are tons of places to get Buffalo news online. Just make sure you have ABP , Ad Blocker Pro on you device.

I’m not down with the “get it free” mindset. These are men/women delivering product and supporting families. Their work has a value and they should be fairly compensated 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

That's nuttier than Tua learning how to fall.

I had a subscription on a deal but didn't renew. The Buff News writers just take press conferences and repackage them with some editorial rehash of what the players and coaches say. No real insight and analysis beyond the cursory kind you get from most of this board. And no deep interviews. 

I much prefer the Cover 1 videos that really break down the Xs and Os of the Bills (when those boys graduate from high school, look out!). Or longer interviews like Josh with McAfee and his boys. All free. 

• Like (+1) 1

Print media is dying. I pay over &80 per month for my local paper. Is it worth it? No but old habits die hard.

Sounds like the Buff News is in a death spiral.

I remember when Buffalo had two newspapers: Courier Express in the morning and Buffalo Evening News.

Some day you'll be telling your grandkids that you remember when news was made from trees and hand delivered to your door. They won't believe you!

Local newspapers should have laser focus on what is happening in their towns.  That is an invaluable service.  It is easy to get national news, but without a good local paper reporting in things like city council meetings, school board meetings and such citizens stay uninformed.  That’s not a good thing. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

9 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I’m not down with the “get it free” mindset. These are men/women delivering product and supporting families. Their work has a value and they should be fairly compensated 

Then they are doing it wrong or should get into another line of work. I don't know anyone who pays for anything online... and that includes watching Bills/Sabres, etc. games. Streaming services yes but just online, no.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

I have a question, and maybe it’s been answered, but what does it cost if you pick one up….wherever you pick up a newspaper now. I see them in the grocery store sometimes.

I might look at a book store if I needed one? I don’t love it, but I get it. Paper died a while ago. I’m still a hard cover guy.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.