Just ate at the original Bar-Bill!

BillsFan619

14 hours ago, Augie said:

We had, and maybe still have, an Anchor Bar by a college not too far away. I went twice trying very hard to like it. Not well executed. I shouldn’t have to try THAT hard. 

We HAD a Duff’s about 45 miles away and I’d go a couple times a year. They did a GREAT job, but apparently not good enough. They disappeared around the beginning of Covid, not sure if it was related or coincidence, but I miss it! 

Congrats on the Bar Bill coming near you. That would be a regular in my rotation if they can pull it off. 

Still have and they draw a nice crowd on game days - wings are about as good/bad as the original Anchor Bar. I prefer the Tavern @ Medlock.

1 hour ago, eball said:

I can’t go to Bar Bill and not get a mini Beef on Weck.

My wife almost always goes with the regular Beef on Weck. I go wings, but I do enjoy sitting at the bar in EA and watching them carve it. And she gets a few wings and I get a couple bites of her sandwich so it all works out. 

Re: the absence of Bills stuff in BarBill:

Having lived both within and outside of WNY, I believe that on the whole, the overall excitement level about the Bills is far greater among fans outside WNY than within. 

Outsiders remain conscious of the uniqueness ans novelty of the Bills brand, WNYers are more likely to take it for granted.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 1st&Goal said:

I think that MacGregor's was done in by covid. Too bad, because they had a great beer list and some good wings!

Most of their locations have closed over the years.  I believe family infighting has been jeopardizing the business for a long time.  

16 hours ago, teef said:

there's on opening soon in rochester too.  i hope it's somewhat close the the quality of the buffalo location.  they had an anchor bar here for a while that did not go so well.

You'd think they would want it open before training camp at SJF starts.

16 hours ago, Augie said:

We had, and maybe still have, an Anchor Bar by a college not too far away. I went twice trying very hard to like it. Not well executed. I shouldn’t have to try THAT hard. 

We HAD a Duff’s about 45 miles away and I’d go a couple times a year. They did a GREAT job, but apparently not good enough. They disappeared around the beginning of Covid, not sure if it was related or coincidence, but I miss it! 

Congrats on the Bar Bill coming near you. That would be a regular in my rotation if they can pull it off. 

Must be the Town Center Mall Anchor Bar near Kennesaw State U. I’ve tried their wings twice, but there’s something not right about them. Probably previously frozen wings and their own bottled Anchor Bar sauce (not good).  Never made it to Duff’s in (Noonan?). 
I have a hard time getting decent wings down here. They’re just bad quality poultry and half the time the fry chef must be foreigners since they don’t seem to know what ‘crispy’ means. Their solution is to overcook them so there’s no flavor left or else they’re rubbery. Had wings at a place in Canton the other day with ‘award winning wings’.   Lousy sauce made worse with crushed red pepper flakes. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Seventeen said:

Still have and they draw a nice crowd on game days - wings are about as good/bad as the original Anchor Bar. I prefer the Tavern @ Medlock.

The beef on weck was particularly disappointing at the Anchor Bar by the KSU campus. And yeah, the wings were just…..wings. 

Duff’s in Newnan had a great beef on weck, and better wings. 

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

Must be the Town Center Mall Anchor Bar near Kennesaw State U. I’ve tried their wings twice, but there’s something not right about them. Probably previously frozen wings and their own bottled Anchor Bar sauce (not good).  Never made it to Duff’s in (Noonan?). 
I have a hard time getting decent wings down here. They’re just bad quality poultry and half the time the fry chef must be foreigners since they don’t seem to know what ‘crispy’ means. Their solution is to overcook them so there’s no flavor left or else they’re rubbery. Had wings at a place in Canton the other day with ‘award winning wings’.   Lousy sauce made worse with crushed red pepper flakes. 

If you want wings down here only choices I know of are Taco Mac and Zaxbys.

Zaxbys gives you ranch sauce by default.  I don't think there is a blue cheese option.

If there is a better option for wings, I'd love to hear it.

33 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Zaxbys gives you ranch sauce by default.  I don't think there is a blue cheese option.

Zaxbys has blue cheese. When I’d get Zaxby’s, I’d get them ‘naked’ and put my own authentic Frank’s sauce on them. 
Buffalo’s Cafe has real Buffalo wing sauce and great blue cheese, but wings are small and overpriced. They used to be good 35 years ago. 

• Like (+1) 2

That place is spectacular. I went there when I was back for the Vikings game. It's funny how many Vikings fans were in there. The savvy ones that were in town knew where to go. The wings are  up there with Gabriel's Gate in terms of the best, but it was the beef on weck that sent me into nirvana. It's a miracle in sandwich form. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

You've got to be kidding...

I truly hope he is..

Had my first Bar-Bill experience last year.  Been back quite a few times as my sons and I make it out there for our boys days despite living an hour away. 

Hands down the best wings I've ever had (hence the avatar).   Never soggy, always painted perfectly with great sauce.    I havent tried anything there I dont like.    The Bar-Bill House Lager by Ellicottville Brewing is a perfect pair with the wings.

The wait can be a bit of a detractor, but always worth it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, freddyjj said:

Thank you for the help !

I know exactly where that is.

Cool , they are from Rochester and reinvesting in the area. I hope to support that soon !

Already hungry  :)

8 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Order Diggs Blue Cheese. I still have a jar.

If you cannot find it online ? Let me know

I am not a huge fan of dipping each wing , but if the sauce start getting hot ? Blue cheese is a nice break for the palate

and they are not all created equal, thats for sure

Edited by 3rdand12
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, SoMAn said:

Its an art form for sure !

Edited by 3rdand12

On 6/26/2023 at 5:18 PM, teef said:

there's on opening soon in rochester too.  i hope it's somewhat close the the quality of the buffalo location.  they had an anchor bar here for a while that did not go so well.

I drive by the new one on empire pretty frequently. They threw that together really quick, but it looks really nice. Great location too. Will definitely try it when it opens 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

I didn’t realize people still order chicken wings at a restaurant.  $1.50-$2.00 for a few bites of chicken on each piece.  😂

I’ll pass. 

Wat?

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I didn’t realize people still order chicken wings at a restaurant.  $1.50-$2.00 for a few bites of chicken on each piece.  😂

I’ll pass. 

You’re doing it wrong. 

3 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

Its an art form for sure !

Actually, I believe those artists are the problem. Wings don’t need to be re-invented by the Wing Picassos of the world. The real deal is so simple and yet they find ways to screw it up. 
Use fresh good quality poultry. 
Deep fry in clean oil.

Properly drain excess oil for a minute to get crisp

Franks and butter

Sauce liberally. They don’t need a bath. 
Don’t close the wings up in an unvented container so they get soggy. 

or if you want to be Michelangelo, dump the oil dripping wings into a half gallon of Tabasco sauce mixed with Blue Bonnet margarine and red pepper flakes for heat. While still steaming, seal in a Tupperware container until ready to eat , then serve the rubbery mess with ranch dressing.  You could be a regular Jackson Polack! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I’ll pass. 

My buddy went to restaurant depot and bought 40 lbs of wings for $47. The up charge for wings is wild (pun intended). 

• Shocked 1

Five of us went to the EA location last night and they've perfected the chicken wing.  About an hour and 15 minute wait though.  They need to expand somehow.  The Sicilian and cajun honey bbq wings are proof that god exists.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

I mean; a single order of wings IS around $15 most places these days.

Yep. I’d say that’s average. I’m not a slender fellow. But an order of 10 wings fills me up every time. 

There is meat to be had. 

When I’m done, the bones are shiny clean!

22 hours ago, Steptide said:

I drive by the new one on empire pretty frequently. They threw that together really quick, but it looks really nice. Great location too. Will definitely try it when it opens 

Let’s get beers. 

14 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Yep. I’d say that’s average. I’m not a slender fellow. But an order of 10 wings fills me up every time. 

There is meat to be had. 

When I’m done, the bones are shiny clean!

I can’t do a ton of wings any more either.  10 is more than enough. 

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, RiotAct said:

I mean; a single order of wings IS around $15 most places these days.

Yes that is why I have started making my own.

Get large wings from the grocery store.

Put them on tin foil with Pam.

Sprinkle liberaly with salt, pepper, garlic powder and Frank's wings sauce.

425 for 30 minutes. 

After 30 minutes take them out, flip them. More salt pepper, garlic powder and Frank's wing sauce.

Put them back in for 15 min.

These are poor man's wings

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, teef said:

Let’s get beers. 

I can’t do a ton of wings any more either.  10 is more than enough. 

I get the smallest order which is usually 5 or 6 wings. I usually have one or two leftover. 

I went to lunch with a buddy at a pizza place. I usually just get a slice and I’m good. He wanted to try the wings, so I suggested the smallest order, I’d be good with one or two, max. Fast forward: we ordered 20, I had two and he ate the rest….plus his pizza. I couldn’t have done that on a bet! 

19 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Yes that is why I have started making my own.

Get large wings from the grocery store.

Put them on tin foil with Pam.

Sprinkle liberaly with salt, pepper, garlic powder and Frank's wings sauce.

425 for 30 minutes. 

After 30 minutes take them out, flip them. More salt pepper, garlic powder and Frank's wing sauce.

Put them back in for 15 min.

These are poor man's wings

I use my deep fryer 

My version of a buffalo wing with a little Cajun  flare

Old bay dry rub wings with Frank’s

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.