Just ate at the original Bar-Bill!

BillsFan619

As some of you know, I’m a die-hard who lives on the West Coast. My family and I are going to the Bills, Chargers game in December. Woohoo!

For those that live in the Buffalo area, you know this already, but you have a keeper.

Their original wings were amazing. WOW!!! The blue cheese was great too. Loved the vibe as well.

Question for Bills Mafia who live in the area:

I was surprised that they didn’t have a lot of Bills stuff up. I think I only saw one Bills sign that was lit up in the whole place.

Does that change during the season? Is there more Bills stuff up?

Go Bills!!!

Edited by BillsFan619
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, teef said:

there's on opening soon in rochester too.  i hope it's somewhat close the the quality of the buffalo location.  they had an anchor bar here for a while that did not go so well.

We had, and maybe still have, an Anchor Bar by a college not too far away. I went twice trying very hard to like it. Not well executed. I shouldn’t have to try THAT hard. 

We HAD a Duff’s about 45 miles away and I’d go a couple times a year. They did a GREAT job, but apparently not good enough. They disappeared around the beginning of Covid, not sure if it was related or coincidence, but I miss it! 

Congrats on the Bar Bill coming near you. That would be a regular in my rotation if they can pull it off. 

• Like (+1) 3

• BillsFan619 changed the title to Just ate at the original Bar-Bills!

For what it's worth, I have been gone from WNY for a few decades myself, but visited last fall for the GB game.  Went with friends to the Bar Bill in Clarence (near the Amherst border at Main and Transit).  It was good.  Not over the top great, but solidly good.  That said, due to some airline mishaps, I was thrilled to be ANYWHERE in WNY and drinking a cold beer with a waitress bringing food to the table.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

My lil bro was likely in charge of separating your wings from flats and/or putting your bleu cheese into a a container in the back. His shift started at 5 pm. 

To your question, OP, I do not think it changes as far as Bills stuff during the season. Bar Bill in EA usually looks the same as far as interior decorating goes from what I recall. (My favorite is their “Rehab is for Quitters” sign in the men’s room.)

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, 17islongenough said:

They said Mid June.  Not sure when the planned opening date is now

my understanding was it was opening very soon, but i didn't know it was mid june.  hopefully by the end of the summer.  i think they build onto the outside seating as well.

12 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

My lil bro was likely in charge of separating your wings from flats and/or putting your bleu cheese into a a container in the back. His shift started at 5 pm. 

To your question, OP, I do not think it changes as far as Bills stuff during the season. Bar Bill in EA usually looks the same as far as interior decorating goes from what I recall. (My favorite is their “Rehab is for Quitters” sign in the men’s room.)

Oh, bro, we must’ve just missed him. We ordered at around 4 PM.

Since your brother works there, do you know why they don’t put up Bills stuff?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

As some of you know, I’m a die-hard who lives on the West Coast. My family and I are going to the Bills, Chargers game in December. Woohoo!

For those that live in the Buffalo area, you know this already, but you have a keeper.

Their original wings were amazing. WOW!!! The blue cheese was great too. Loved the vibe as well.

I was surprised that they didn’t have a lot of Bills stuff up. I think I only saw one Bills sign that was lit up in the whole place.

Go Bills!!!

Blue cheese ???

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, teef said:

there's on opening soon in rochester too.  i hope it's somewhat close the the quality of the buffalo location.  they had an anchor bar here for a while that did not go so well.

The Bar Bill near me in the Williamsville/Clarence area is not as good as the original in East Aurora. But it is still pretty good though - and better than most of the alternatives. I’d expect the one in Rochester to be on par with that. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, BillsFan619 said:

I’ll ask if he knows. I grew up in EA and never really gave it a thought or noticed until you pointed it out. My guess is it’s just not necessarily trying to be a Bills bar per se despite “Bill” being in the title. 

27 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

The Bar Bill near me in the Williamsville/Clarence area is not as good as the original in East Aurora. But it is still pretty good though - and better than most of the alternatives. I’d expect the one in Rochester to be on par with that. 

Where is the new one in Rochester going to be exactly ?
Absolutely will check it out !

Glad for the OP 619 who enjoyed the foodie visit part of the trip !  Cheers :)

41 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Blue cheese ???

Critical part of the equation.

dont tell me you are garlic and ranch or of other some such unnatural leanings ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

Go Bills!!!

It’s a local bar with limited space. Grew up in EA and it has remained the same. Of course it’s a Bills bar. No need to take up wall space with something we already know. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

I’ve put this elsewhere, but it fits here. A neighbor of ours is an architect and went to Buffalo on a “architectural vacation” while his wife was at the beach. He sent me zero pictures of architecture, but the wings and beer came in first. I laughed and said he needs to try the pizza and seconds later I get a great shot of pizza and beer! 

2 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

It’s a local bar with limited space. Grew up in EA and it has remained the same. Of course it’s a Bills bar. No need to take up wall space with something we already know. 

That’s an interesting perspective I can respect. 

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

It's always been the same quality to me at both places but there is a lot more elbow room at the one near you.   You can have a long lunch meeting at that Williamsville/Clarence one.......the East Aurora one the seating is so sparse that the feeling that you are costing the wait staff money by not getting in-and-out quick is palpable.

50 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I can't put my finger on what is different. Something is off.  The wings are nice juicy and crispy. Is it the sauce? 

37 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Critical part of the equation.

dont tell me you are garlic and ranch or of other some such unnatural leanings ?

https://www.google.com/search?q=bar-bill+east+rochester&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari&si=AMnBZoEZ8aFftZu792frFYrnK9KQYGXRL3UTeDeHB9-uc0sfFQBVzkhCtUymFENGao7OaDszVTa6GjwUmR8hyT77x0JAonNtBcTRxjoPc85XT1w3agpbaLXwRcQtvccr8Q6QpUp4r3Th&ictx=1&ved=2ahUKEwjKuYq1o-L_AhVEFVkFHVchDNQQyNoBKAB6BAgeEAc#

on Empire near base of Irondequoit Bay.  

Edited by freddyjj
  • Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I can't put my finger on what is different. Something is off.  The wings are nice juicy and crispy. Is it the sauce? 

I told my friend and his wife what I thought. They’d only been to the Williamsville one and thought it was great so they didn’t believe me about E. Aurora. Then a couple months later they went to it and got wing there. He said he could t believe it but I was right, E. Aurora was just better. He said he talked to the bartender about it and he said that it’s the experience of the people there and the equipment. They’re just more dialed in.

I do think the sauce is a little different too. I’m a medium guy at E. Aurora but medium hot at Williamsville. 

4 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I told my friend and his wife what I thought. They’d only been to the Williamsville one and thought it was great so they didn’t believe me about E. Aurora. Then a couple months later they went to it and got wing there. He said he could t believe it but I was right, E. Aurora was just better. He said he talked to the bartender about it and he said that it’s the experience of the people there and the equipment. They’re just more dialed in.

I do think the sauce is a little different too. I’m a medium guy at E. Aurora but medium hot at Williamsville. 

I did notice take out at EA is a little different than the bar or was a couple years ago. They cook in a different kitchen. Could def be the experience and equipment. Seemed like there was more sauce and more of something in the sauce at williamsville. Still very good but not quite the same. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I did notice take out at EA is a little different than the bar or was a couple years ago. They cook in a different kitchen. Could def be the experience and equipment. Seemed like there was more sauce and more of something in the sauce at williamsville. Still very good but not quite the same. 

I noticed that the take out in E Aurora was different than the main bar too. Still, if the wait to get into the restaurant is long, then getting takeout and heading into Aurora Brew Works is a good way to go. (They allow outside food to be brought in.)

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

Agree.........but I'd also add that the concept of local satisfaction with Bills ownership is a very new thing.   Ralph was not well liked.......and really distrusted at best.......by the age demographic that frequented local town bars in the 80's and 90's.    So they certainly weren't going to paper the walls at these places with advertisements for his product.   Big Tree and Danny's aren't wall-to-wall Bills either.  

By the time the kids of the SB generation came of age and delivered the first unconditional love for the team since the 1960's.......the team was in the drought.   I think you can still see the remnants of that Ralph resentment in the neighborhoods around the stadium as well.   Bills fans finally wised up and created their own identity as Bills Mafia to give us some leverage in this relationship......and the Pegula's taking over came a few years later and you can see the area around the stadium gradually becoming more Bills "themed" every year.    

• Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Draconator said:

I now live about 5 minutes from the EA Bar Bill. For all the time I have been in the area, I have never eaten there. Now there's no excuse. 

It's crazy how that works.  You'll pry move soon and then always want Bar Bill when you visit

9 minutes ago, Draconator said:

I now live about 5 minutes from the EA Bar Bill. For all the time I have been in the area, I have never eaten there. Now there's no excuse. 

I’m a five-hour drive away and I e eaten there a dozen times!  Get your ass in there!!

Ice cold Molson Canadians, wings and a beef on Weck. 

You will not be disappointed!

Edited by Gugny
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

It's crazy how that works.  You'll pry move soon and then always want Bar Bill when you visit

We have already moved. Been in the new house one week. I go to East Aurora for Valu Home Center, Bank of America ATM, and Leo's Pizza. Now just need Bar Bill. 

1 minute ago, Draconator said:

We have already moved. Been in the new house one week. I go to East Aurora for Valu Home Center, Bank of America ATM, and Leo's Pizza. Now just need Bar Bill. 

I'm just pumped that they are opening one in Rochester.  Hopefully it's good and can save me the 4 hour wait when I go up for Bills games.  Then I can focus on some other places on my list to try

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I'm just pumped that they are opening one in Rochester.  Hopefully it's good and can save me the 4 hour wait when I go up for Bills games.  Then I can focus on some other places on my list to try

(In East Aurora) Just a couple of buildings down and across the street, Misters has some pretty decent hamburgers.

• Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Agree.........but I'd also add that the concept of local satisfaction with Bills ownership is a very new thing.   Ralph was not well liked.......and really distrusted at best.......by the age demographic that frequented local town bars in the 80's and 90's.    So they certainly weren't going to paper the walls at these places with advertisements for his product.   Big Tree and Danny's aren't wall-to-wall Bills either.  

By the time the kids of the SB generation came of age and delivered the first unconditional love for the team since the 1960's.......the team was in the drought.   I think you can still see the remnants of that Ralph resentment in the neighborhoods around the stadium as well.   Bills fans finally wised up and created their own identity as Bills Mafia to give us some leverage in this relationship......and the Pegula's taking over came a few years later and you can see the area around the stadium gradually becoming more Bills "themed" every year.    

It’s really simple. Don’t make Bar “Bill” out to be something it isn’t. It’s not a “Bills Backers Bar”. It’s a bar that logically supports the Bills, Sabres, EA Blue Devils, Boys Girls Club of EA, etc. with its own motif. No reason to adorn the joint with signed jerseys and goofy towels. There’s row after row of customer mugs and a quaint vibe. You don’t have to go to a good Italian restaurant like La Bella Sicilia in Cheektowaga (one of the best) and expect marble figurines and maps of Italy. Good food and drink is just that…Bills fandom is separate. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 hours ago, teef said:

my understanding was it was opening very soon, but i didn't know it was mid june.  hopefully by the end of the summer.  i think they build onto the outside seating as well.

Mid-July, per them.

It's a restaurant, so all kinds of things can delay it, but that's their bogey.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

It's bigger than the Clarence one.  

3 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

I know that freddyjj provided the maps link, but it's where the MacGregor's on Empire Blvd. used to be, on the south end of Irondequoit Bay.  

Great place, not sure why MacGregor's didn't make it.  Lockdowns presumably.  

Edited by PBF81

• BillsFan619 changed the title to Just ate at the original Bar-Bill!
14 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I know that freddyjj provided the maps link, but it's where the MacGregor's on Empire Blvd. used to be, on the south end of Irondequoit Bay.  

Oh wow, I used to go there from time to time when I lived in Rochester 25 years ago.  Nice location and view

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

Because its Bar Bill not Bar Bills.  Its named after a guy named Bill who opened the place with his wife Barb and has nothing to do with the Buffalo Bills.

https://www.barbill.com/about-us

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

It’s really simple. Don’t make Bar “Bill” out to be something it isn’t. It’s not a “Bills Backers Bar”. It’s a bar that logically supports the Bills, Sabres, EA Blue Devils, Boys Girls Club of EA, etc. with its own motif. No reason to adorn the joint with signed jerseys and goofy towels. There’s row after row of customer mugs and a quaint vibe. You don’t have to go to a good Italian restaurant like La Bella Sicilia in Cheektowaga (one of the best) and expect marble figurines and maps of Italy. Good food and drink is just that…Bills fandom is separate. 

Yeah but Bar Bill isn't an exception.   What local place has been like a Bills Backers bar?  People have a misunderstanding about these local places and the area's connection to the Bills.  It was much more of a love/hate relationship with the team when these places created their identities.  I can remember sitting in those stands in the late 80's and early 90's and wondering how these 30-50 year olds could hate Ralph so much when they had assembled the deepest roster in the AFC and were going to SB's.    It was very much an us against him mentality.    Didn't change until the kids who had known nothing but winning started buying tickets in the early 2000's that it began to change.   And then Ralph rewarded those suckers with a drought and cash to the cap.:lol: 

5 hours ago, teef said:

Per the website they are now hiring all positions in Rochester.  That's usually a pretty good sign that opening is around the corner.  I filled out an application for you. Good luck!  

https://www.barbill.com/

But seriously I am very interested to hear how the Webster location stacks up to the original.  Looking forward to popping in when I'm home for Xmas.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Because its Bar Bill not Bar Bills.  Its named after a guy named Bill who opened the place with his wife Barb and has nothing to do with the Buffalo Bills.

https://www.barbill.com/about-us

Thank you!  That's definitely a major misconception nowadays with people calling it Bar-Bills and thinking it has some direct connection to the Bills.  It's a WNY staple but doesn't have anything to do with the Bills directly! 

I think that MacGregor's was done in by covid. Too bad, because they had a great beer list and some good wings!

7 hours ago, PBF81 said:

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

Go Bills!!!

Despite being home grown I only went to Bar Bill about a year ago because East Aurora was always out of my way and Duffs, Anchor Bar, Gabriel's Gate and Goodbar were always closer.

The wings I had at Bar Bill were hands down the best of those. To be honest the best Anchor Bar wings I've had were at the airport

I am also finding that while I don't know if the best wings are in Buffalo, what you get at your average pizza place on the corner is in league with "the best in NJ" 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.