Just ate at the original Bar-Bill!

BillsFan619

47 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Nick’s peaked in the 80s when it ran 24 hrs a day, closing only on Christmas.  Nick and his staff quite the characters.  2 am and the place is filled with cops, college kids, hookers.  The meat sauce was the OG, the Everest, the Olympus of meat sauces.

I still have a  grease stained “Rochester Sesquicentennial” Nicks cardboard plate (1984)—a real “game used” memento of my college youth!

Now the decent copies are Dog Town and Empire Hots. 

Distillery you never go for the food, just to meet up with people.  Jeremiah’s on Monroe has the best wings still. 

Tahoe's used to be hilarious from 1-3 a. m.  

Agree on Jeremiah's, but I've been going to the Merchant Street Grill or whatever is called, they have great wings too.  

Schaller's has good plates too.  I prefer them with fries.  

• Like (+1) 2

OK, I’m back to wings here, and this may be a game changer. Andrew Zimern (Bizarre Foods/Destinations) was in Bali, and they have some tasty egg roll looking thing they want to keep crispy. When you get it to go they pop up a little vent on the top so they don’t steam and get soggy.  

Does anyone do this for wings? 

Rooties, I believe, was at Millersport and Campbell in Amherst, just north of UB's Amherst campus. There is a good blue cheese available in local stores with that name.

Edited by Wacka

18 hours ago, Wacka said:

Rooties, I believe, was at Millersport and Campbell in Amherst, just north of UB's Amherst campus. There is a good blue cheese available in local stores with that name.

There is Rooties Blue Cheese avaialble here in Rochester area

Is it the House brand ? I might try that next time i need a jar :)

Edited by 3rdand12

On 7/3/2023 at 6:00 PM, Augie said:

OK, I’m back to wings here, and this may be a game changer. Andrew Zimern (Bizarre Foods/Destinations) was in Bali, and they have some tasty egg roll looking thing they want to keep crispy. When you get it to go they pop up a little vent on the top so they don’t steam and get soggy.  

Yes, I always ask for vented containers.  They don't always have them, but then I just punch a hole or two in the lid with a pen or whatever.

Absolutely, it keeps them crispier without a doubt.  

Some have holes on top in the corners of the edges too, made by a different company.

I just also got wings recently and there were slits in the sides of the top, which I thought was a better design for stacking.  

Edited by PBF81

On 7/3/2023 at 6:00 PM, Augie said:

As a teen I worked at a pizza joint, and like all pizza places in Bflo area, they sold wings and subs too. Delivery was a huge part of the business, so the wings had to be crispy when they got there. 
BTW, The wings were:

(10) $1.10

(20) $2.10

(30) $3.10

they all came in a fold-up cartons, shaped like a little house, handle on top that used tabs to keep it together. 
They had at least one punch-out vent hole either on top or at the end (I forget which). Pizza boxes also had vented punch-out holes. 
Those wing prices should give you some idea how long ago that was. 😊

That was when the local gin mills had nickel wings for happy hour and we could stop after work for a pitcher of beer, a dozen wings, tip the bartender, and it would cost us around $8.

Apologies for sounding like one of those old gravely-voiced Polacks who call WGR’s One Bills Live every day and ramble on about their glory days at the rockpile watching Kemp and Cookie. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

I need reviews ASAP

1 hour ago, teef said:

Ohhhh!   Thanks for the heads up.  I hope to stop by in the next month. 

Same on both.

Maybe a bills backers bar in the future that's not in the the middle of downtown/near south wedge?  I'm I west sider but would prefer that location vs anything near the inner loop.

Edited by The Wiz

1 hour ago, SoMAn said:

Apologies for sounding like one of those old gravely-voiced Polacks who call WGR’s One Bills Live every day and ramble on about their glory days at the rockpile watching Kemp and Cookie. 

Like East Side Eddie on John Otto's show on WGR?

On 7/2/2023 at 1:49 PM, PBF81 said:

Tahoe's used to be hilarious from 1-3 a. m.  

Agree on Jeremiah's, but I've been going to the Merchant Street Grill or whatever is called, they have great wings too.  

Schaller's has good plates too.  I prefer them with fries.  

Took my daughter to Nick's for her first time this summer.  Not that good as I remember at 2AM totally hammered.  Like they changed the meat or maybe it's because I just wasn't hammered.  Probably the latter.  

1 hour ago, SoMAn said:

As a teen I worked at a pizza joint, and like all pizza places in Bflo area, they sold wings and subs too. Delivery was a huge part of the business, so the wings had to be crispy when they got there. 
BTW, The wings were:

(10) $1.10

(20) $2.10

(30) $3.10

they all came in a fold-up cartons, shaped like a little house, handle on top that used tabs to keep it together. 
They had at least one punch-out vent hole either on top or at the end (I forget which). Pizza boxes also had vented punch-out holes. 
Those wing prices should give you some idea how long ago that was. 😊

That was when the local gin mills had nickel wings for happy hour and we could stop after work for a pitcher of beer, a dozen wings, tip the bartender, and it would cost us around $8.

My club was 20 cent wings on Wednesdays.  Now it's 85 cents (25 years later).

I remember going in with a $5 bill and getting a coke and 10 wings and had enough to stop at the corner store for a snack afterwards.

Yes, I will be that old-gravely-Polack in this instance.

Back-In-My-Day.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I remember going in with a $5 bill and getting a coke and 10 wings and had enough to stop at the corner store for a snack afterwards.

Back-In-My-Day.jpg

You look quite familiar. Have we met, or are you that guy in the mirror when I shave? 

13 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Back-In-My-Day.jpg

Gravelly-voiced!  Half of the old farts who call WGR sound like Tom Carvel- the guy who hawked Cookie Puss ice cream cakes on late night TV ads. 

54 minutes ago, Irv said:

Took my daughter to Nick's for her first time this summer.  Not that good as I remember at 2AM totally hammered.  Like they changed the meat or maybe it's because I just wasn't hammered.  Probably the latter.  

LOL

I'm guessing both.  Things always taste better when you're hammered.  

Last time I went, years ago, and never again as a result, the place was far from clean.  Also stuff you don't notice when you're young, hammered, and think you're never going to be old.  LOL

59 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Don’t know who that is, but very possible. 
On One Bills Live there are several pensioners who call in frequently, and they wear their gerontology like a badge of honor, proud to share anecdotes of the leather helmet days of the All American conference Buffalo Bills in Civic Stadium. 
The tip off is when they refer to wideouts as ‘flankers’ 

• Haha (+1) 2

My son wanted to go for his birthday dinner.  That said, found my way back tonight.   Wings are on point everytime Its never a miss.  Never undercooked, always painted perfectly.  Every boys day at our house ends up at Bar Bill.

My wing spot in Orleans County let me down big time a few weeks back for a family party.  Ordered 50 wings and threw 49 out.  Smelled like straight garbage.  They were spoiled.

Edited by thenorthremembers

5 hours ago, Wacka said:

I forgot there are youngsters on here. John Otto was on WGR for decades before they went all sports. Otto had a show from 10 PM to 11 AM  called Extension 55.  A VERY frequent  (almost every night) caller was an older guy he called East Side Eddie, who had a Buffalo east side Polish accent (lots of dats and ders,etc.). On Friday night he had a call-in show called "Desperate and Dateless" where he would fix up callers for dates.

Edited by Wacka

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.