Diggs NOT at mandatory minicamp, McDermott "very concerned" DAY 2 UPDATE: He's back

Process

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

oh my god you guys are being so overly dramatic. I love ya, but take a breath.

Obviously there isn't a real grenade. Diggs isn't going to blow up the facility or his actual teammates. It is a fairly common metaphor.

I am not an NFL coach, but I have coached and won a handful of National Champions, I also lived at the Olympic Training Center for a number of years. I am good friends with dozens of Olympic medalists. This just isn't behavior from somebody who can be a healthy party of a championship roster long term. 

Spin it out you want, but successful rosters generally don't include people who behave like Diggs for very long.

• Like (+1) 3

Apparently Diggs reported for medical clearance checking at the facility yesterday and is in WNY but did not report for minicamp today?

Very strange and hopefully something nefarious hasn't happened...

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, nbbillsfan said:

I posted here multiple times stating I have personal knowledge of the Diggs/Josh/Team feud and was ridiculed by some who did not want to believe how serious it was. Welp, hate to say I told you so. 

Can you elaborate for those of us who will at least listen 

2 minutes ago, nbbillsfan said:

I posted here multiple times stating I have personal knowledge of the Diggs/Josh/Team feud and was ridiculed by some who did not want to believe how serious it was. Welp, hate to say I told you so. 

Most sane people don't give 2 ***** about message board personas saying they know things.  At least I don't.  Congrats I guess?  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, nbbillsfan said:

I hear ya man. I did the same and also have very close ties. Sounding like Diggs is done. 

• Eyeroll 2

48 minutes ago, jletha said:

I cant possibly understand what in the world Diggs could be protesting. He signed a new deal last year, hes on a top 3 offense with a top 3 QB.

Whats the angle here? He wants to be traded...to where? He wants more money...based on what?

Cut bait and sign Hopkins if this gets any uglier.

4 catches for 35 yards v. The Bengals. 

24 minutes ago, Mango said:

Right, that is what I am saying. Haha 

I included that portion because in the mini-camp thread somebody replied to me that Diggs had to sign off on a restructure. I didn't want to re-hash it over here. 

My point about reaching out to Diggs was that we knew we would be totally handcuffed to him with a restructure. And we know the way he behaved to end the season and his series of super weird and cryptic tweets. It would be professional due diligence in this scenario to try and get a reality check. 

All I take from him not showing up today (even if he shows up tomorrow), his offseason oddities, and the way he ended last season is that Diggs is willing to blow this season up if he becomes unhappy. 

The weird part is he reported for medical clearance at the team facility yesterday but not to minicamp today, so he is in WNY.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

Obviously there isn't a real grenade. Diggs isn't going to blow up the facility or his actual teammates. It is a fairly common metaphor.

I am not an NFL coach, but I have coached and won a handful of National Champions, I also lived at the Olympic Training Center for a number of years. I am good friends with dozens of Olympic medalists. This just isn't behavior from somebody who can be a healthy party of a championship roster long term. 

Spin it out you want, but successful rosters generally don't include people who behave like Diggs for very long.

What team last won a Super Bowl with a star TC holdout for contract purposes, let alone a personal gripe or drama?

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Nephilim17 said:

The look in McDermott's eyes says he's stressed to hell. I can't remember him looking like that.

McDermott has more responsibility now being a pseudo DC as well as HC, Toss in am sure expectations are higher and higher, he should be stressed.

27 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

"If you want to ignore me when the team needs me the most, then take a look at what your team really looks like without me"

As was pointed out when he missed voluntary OTA’s, We know what we have in Diggs (for better and worse). The more time available for the younger guys to show what they’ve got, the better. Let’s see what it looks like now, and hope it helps get us ready for the season. That’s the best “glass half full” I can offer. 

I don’t love the absence, but I won’t freak out either. It is a bit odd that we are just guessing what he’s so upset about. I can imagine several options, but it’s pretty fuzzy. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

The coach said his absence was "very concerning" I don't see how it would be excused given that choice of words.

Curious of how this was said.  

Was it a TBD-like "OMG THIS IS VERY CONCERNING!  I'M FREAKING OUT MAN!!"  

Or more like "Yeah, OF COURSE it's very concerning, everyone else is here and one of our best Dudes is not."

IDK, that type of context matters to me... :beer: 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

This is all Diggs loses if he doesn’t show. He might not show.

But why report for medical clearance yesterday at the team facility of he wasn't planning on showing up then??  That's the part that makes no sense to me.

Edited by Big Turk

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

It's not happening. They would have to cut like 8 players and take a $45 million dead cap hit.

4 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

It's impossible as he's like $23 million towards it. Again let's not go crazy, Bruce Smith used to avoid camp like this too and he's still a HOFer. 

3 minutes ago, nucci said:

too big to even discuss

This is what I was afraid of, he is here rather he likes it or not

Ideally what ever is going on isn't a big deal and he is back ready to win a Superbowl soon 

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

What team last won a Super Bowl with a star TC holdout for contract purposes, let alone a personal gripe or drama?

Nearly every one had some personnel drama. What else is new with professional athletes, (divas)?

10 minutes ago, nbbillsfan said:

Ok I'll bite on this.  Can you at least offer up whether this feud is on field related stuff or off the field stuff?  

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

McDermott has more responsibility now being a pseudo DC as well as HC, Toss in am sure expectations are higher and higher, he should be stressed.

I could be wrong but his look didn't say to me, "darn, now I have to call defensive plays AND coach the team." 

He looks like a man who just found out that his cheating wife is now gonna take the house. Or, to paraphrase Bill Burr, like Mel Gibson's voice going up a couple octaves when he found out his ex-wife was getting his LAKER TICKETS!!!!

This isn't a normal daily grind of coaching and being a DC stress look. To me.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.