Barkley hinting at sitting out the 2023 season.

Gregg

I doubt he will, and he said he wants to retire a Giant, but he is clearly unhappy with the lack of progress on a new contract. The Daily News also reported this in today's paper.

That Sports Guy on Twitter: "This feels very much like the Le’Veon Bell situation with the Steelers in 2018. Giants were willing to make Saquon Barkley the highest paid RB in football. Saquon turns it down, believing he’s worth more, and is kicking around the idea of sitting out" / Twitter

I was confused at first because I was thinking you were talking about Matt Barkley and I was like “why would he want to retire a Giant?”. 😂

Then when you mentioned Leveon Bell I realized you meant Saquon (and sure enough you mentioned him in the next line…lol).

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 12
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

He should give Le'Veon Bell a call and ask him how that turned out for him.

We’ll played MJS.

I doubt when push comes to shove he’ll actually hold out.  It’s a negotiation game.

He won’t get fined for staying out of mini camp as he didn’t sign his tag.

If he ends up showing up by game day, he’ll be fine.  Schoen is only going to buckle so much, but Jones needs him to balance that offense.

It is amazing that a running back in todays NFL would  turn down guaranteed millions of dollars, knowing full well he would most likely be out of the league after this contract period is up, ah the NFL, Rhodes scholars abound…, 

• Agree 1

I am part of the "never pay a RB a big 2nd contract" camp. However, I do at least see Saquon's point of view.

Giants had a solid season last year and it was in large part due to him. Guy had 1,650 all purpose yards. More rushes than he ever had in his career. Targeted almost 80 times on top of that. Double digit TDs. Meanwhile Danny Dimes tossed for 3200 yards and 15 TDs...and they found $40M for him? 

Barkley has said he doesn't want to reset the RB market. He's looking for a fair deal for a guy his caliber and production. I can't say as I blame him. 

• Like (+1) 3

One of Joe Schoen's first big tests.  You've got a monster player at a position that teams don't like to sink a lot of money in.  He's a guy who's started 16 games only twice in five seasons.   How do you manage it?

One thing I like about Beane is that he has the courage to evaluate, make a decision, and stick with it.   He offered Edmunds less than he could get in the market, and he didn't back down.  He offered Oliver, who knows, maybe less than he could have gotten elsewhere and Oliver took it.  

Schoen's got a fan base in love with Barkley.  (If I were a Giants fan, I'd have been screaming then and now that he didn't take Allen.)  

Tough decisions. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

I doubt he will, and he said he wants to retire a Giant, but he is clearly unhappy with the lack of progress on a new contract. The Daily News also reported this in today's paper.

That Sports Guy on Twitter: "This feels very much like the Le’Veon Bell situation with the Steelers in 2018. Giants were willing to make Saquon Barkley the highest paid RB in football. Saquon turns it down, believing he’s worth more, and is kicking around the idea of sitting out" / Twitter

Bell is a good comp.  He’ll begrudgingly return to the Giants once he realizes that his position group is screwed.  The NFL has him by the balls and not the balls you spoke after a TD

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

One of Joe Schoen's first big tests.  You've got a monster player at a position that teams don't like to sink a lot of money in.  He's a guy who's started 16 games only twice in five seasons.   How do you manage it?

One thing I like about Beane is that he has the courage to evaluate, make a decision, and stick with it.   He offered Edmunds less than he could get in the market, and he didn't back down.  He offered Oliver, who knows, maybe less than he could have gotten elsewhere and Oliver took it.  

Schoen's got a fan base in love with Barkley.  (If I were a Giants fan, I'd have been screaming then and now that he didn't take Allen.)  

Tough decisions. 

That *they* didn't take Allen. Joe Schoen very much DID take him. Indeed I am not sure the Bills select Josh Allen without Joe Schoeb. He was the first member of the senior brass to go scout him in person.

Bell is already on record saying he shouldve just signed the Steelers deal and stayed in Pittsburgh. If you look at the offers vs what he ended up signing for, he lost money overall.

I'm 100% behind players getting as much money as they can, but sometimes they need to realize this is all they can.

He only hurts himself. Tag for a RB is over 10 mil. Last year was his first full season since his rookie campaign. When healthy he's very good, not elite. RBs don't get paid in today's game. If he wants to pass on 10 mil he's a fool.

Plus, who cares! He's a Giants problem.

17 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

He only hurts himself. Tag for a RB is over 10 mil. Last year was his first full season since his rookie campaign. When healthy he's very good, not elite. RBs don't get paid in today's game. If he wants to pass on 10 mil he's a fool.

Plus, who cares! He's a Giants problem.

at some point fans will need to buy that for a lot of positions missing 2-3 games a year is essentially full availability. Outside of 1 season hes remained pretty well available for a back

I'm on record as saying I thought that unexpected, surprisingly good, start to last season would come back to hurt Daboll/Shoen.  They didn't get to do their rebuild.  They didn't move Barkley prior to the trade deadline last year - which I think was probably their original plan, because they were at least tied for the lead. 

Now they've extended D Jones and are in the "pay the RB" club.  That's not where you want to be.  They look like 3rd place finishers in their division for the next few years.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Oh thanks God this is Saquon I worried it was going to be Matt 😄

Josh wont allow that, dont worry

1 minute ago, QCity said:

"The Giants had an offer out to Barkley earlier in the year that could've been worth close to $14 million per season, sources have told ESPN. Barkley and his team turned it down."

😂😂 🤡🤡

this is what he is upset about, he is claiming that did not happen

Giants screwed themselves paying Jones. He's just not very good. 

That said I would never sign a RB to a big deal again. The days of LT, Edgerrin James, Thurman, and Faulk are gone. It is RB by committee now. If the cap was unlimited sure.  But its not. Even if you have a QB on a rookie deal it is still wasted money. 

12 minutes ago, skibum said:

RBs really get hosed by the rookie contract rules. They should be free to make mad loot by year 3 so they don't end up doing stuff like this. So many good ones end up out of the league before they can cash in. 

They, like every other player, can cash-in after their third season. The problem is the running back position has been devalued, and unless you are an elite dual-threat, your production can be replaced by several low priced players.

44 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

That said I would never sign a RB to a big deal again. The days of LT, Edgerrin James, Thurman, and Faulk are gone. It is RB by committee now. If the cap was unlimited sure.  But its not. Even if you have a QB on a rookie deal it is still wasted money. 

I think Schoen was put in a really really difficult position by their unexpected playoff run.

On the one hand I fully believe their plan was to move on from Jones and possibly Barkley and revamp the offense going forward. Hard to sell to the fan base that they are trying to win while getting rid of the starting QB and team MVP in Barkley after making the playoffs. So they vastly overpaid for Jones because they had to get either him or Barkley under contract so they could use the Franchise tag on the other. Then they tagged Barkley at $10.1M. Problem there is they just set his baseline price with that.  So that's $50M for Jones and Barkley...

Compounding that is, they really weren't a good team last year. I get it, you are what your record says and their record got them into the playoffs. But anyone that watched a good portion of their games knows that the way they won last year isn't sustainable. They played a lot of poor teams...and barely won those.  I'm hoping there is another surprise season out of them but I'm expecting a major step back this year for the G-Men.

• Agree 1

Barkley strikes me as much smarter than Bell, having seen him talk on a limited basis.

On the same hand dude knows better than most, careers can be over in the flash of an eye.

This is the perfect time to play this card and not mean it

Chance to drive up that guaranteed $$, as he should

I think theres a 0% chance he sits out. Most likely he resigns, or maybe the best option sign and trade deal

Schoen has to have the appearance of fielding most competitive team, but its not really in their best interest to give out a max RB deal

He should see what compensation looks like and let Barkley get the bag elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

It is interesting that DLs are by rotation now (I remember when 3 or 4 DL would play majority of game) but RBs are by committee / rotation now with less dominant offense linemen and they are being paid less.

4 hours ago, BillsVet said:

And here I thought, in true TBD fashion, someone was openly worried the 3rd string QB was going to sit out the season.

Because somewhere someone is considering that Matt Barkley might retire.  And then what?  :lol:

And the thing is, Matt Barkley is making top one or two percent income annually in this country, and he has to have the easiest / best job to obtain said income, if I’m Matt Barkley, I’m never gonna retire 😂🤣😁

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

That *they* didn't take Allen. Joe Schoen very much DID take him. Indeed I am not sure the Bills select Josh Allen without Joe Schoeb. He was the first member of the senior brass to go scout him in person.

Ah, yes, "they."  Obviously, Schoen was on the correct side of that decision, not o correct.  

My cousin was a Giants fan.  I told him it was a mistake.  He said, "When you have a chance to get Jim Brown, you take it."  I didn't get it, but he thought Barkley was that special.  Maybe he would have gone after the next Bronco Nagurski, too.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.