RD 2, Pick 59: G O’Cyrus Torrence, Florida

SDS

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

I think he could be a good player for the Thomas Doyle / Bobby Hart role as 6th lineman.

He would be good at sustaining point of attack.

Hes not a move guy.. for as good as he is, his lack of pulling mobility and lack of position flex is why the best pure Guard in the Draft was there for us at 59.  

He’s going to start.  The guy is a stud.  Has the potential to be an All-Pro IOL.     Just let him take care of 1/5th of the OL and don’t overthink it.  

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Any RT’s out there we can add that would have a legit chance to displace Spencer Brown?  Is Brandon Shell still available?

I really want a large OT to pair with O’Cyrus

Maybe pairing Torrence with Brown, elevates Browns game? 

49 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

? he’s a starting Guard day 1. Likely a very good one

45 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Hes not a move guy.. for as good as he is, his lack of pulling mobility and lack of position flex is why the best pure Guard in the Draft was there for us at 59.  

He’s going to start.  The guy is a stud.  Has the potential to be an All-Pro IOL.     Just let him take care of 1/5th of the OL and don’t overthink it.  

He is a second round pick which needs time to adjust post training camp / preseason. 

Give him a role so he is active and can adjust properly.

He can certainly better mover than Bobby Hart.

51 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

He is a second round pick which needs time to adjust post training camp / preseason. 

No. He might already be the best OL on the roster. Right there with Morse

Edited by Warriorspikes51

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Any RT’s out there we can add that would have a legit chance to displace Spencer Brown?  Is Brandon Shell still available?

I really want a large OT to pair with O’Cyrus

More realistically I'd like to replace Quess with someone who can push Brown.

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Magox said:

Was reading some things about him and the key points I found interesting.

- Excelled at Louisiana as a freshman - Freshman All American team

- All sunbelt conference his sophomore and junior years

- Wanted to take it to next level and goes to Florida and becomes consensus first team All American

- Goes to Senior Bowl and has stand out performance

- Did very well against Jalen Carter when he matched up against him

- Had high pass and run blocking grades consistently throughout his collegiate career

- Never gave up a single sack or QB knockdown his senior year with Florida against top SEC competition

- Never gave up a sack in over 3000 snaps his entire collegiate career

- Didn’t have a single penalty called against him at Florida his senior year

All this guy has ever done is been consistently very good everywhere he has gone.

But, but, he has a "bad body!!!"

(which btw is not true)

13 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

With him I would rather put him on the LG position I dont think the Bills will do that.  If he becomes the RT, the issue I have it both your RT and RG now have lateral movement limitations.  

13 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Yes and I would prefer he play LG, because his Lateral Movement limitations next to Spencer Browns Lateral Movement problems. Will hurt  

Watching extensive video, while he doesn't have elite lateral movement it's not bad at all and when combined with his wingspan/arm length/jaws of life hands it's obvious why he didn't give up any sacks.

Not you specifically but I'm seeing a lot of posters (again as with Dorian) looking at measurables and drawing incorrect conclusions.

13 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Like others, I don't understand how they are putting the line together. Can you plausibly synthesize mauler types like Torrence and RAS athletic types like Brown? It seems badly mismatched. Shouldn't someone who is paid to ask questions ask for an explanation of the rationale from Beane or Kromer? I fear they don't have one. They take good players and think they can somehow make it work.

There are plenty of examples of mauling guards playing next to athletic tackles. Richie Incognito wasn't a ballerina. Landon Dickerson has average lateral movement. If you're dominating the person lined up opposite you, that's all that matters.

12 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

I absolutely love the pick!

We rarely get to see this side of you!

8 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

Yeah re scheme I feel that his alleged lack of mobility has been exaggerated a bit. There are examples of him showing sufficient quickness pulling and even to the second level and very good field awareness with the Gators. He will never be Jerry Kramer and it's also fair to wonder how he will fare in pass pro against some of the great speed rushing DEs and 3 techs he will now be facing but I too will be interested to see what Kromer is able to do with him. All rooks face à learning curve. As a prospect the guy was a steal where we got him.

Also especially early thread there were many allegations of him not being a fit athlete. These are simply untrue and lazy takes based on height/weight.

From "The Beast:"

... weighed over 420 pounds when he started high school and completely changed his nutrition and life habits to carry a comfortable weight... A massive but lean-muscled blocker, Torrence has above-average inline power and physicality in the run game to quickly gain control and drive defenders from their spot. In pass protection, he sets wide, strikes with authority and plays with the reactive quickness to recover and reposition his hands vs. quick pass rushers (zero sacks allowed in 1,501 career pass-blocking snaps).

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I think he could be a good player for the Thomas Doyle / Bobby Hart role as 6th lineman.

He would be good at sustaining point of attack.

I doubt they're going to want their starting guard also playing as an extra blocking tight end.

1 minute ago, Sierra Foothills said:

(which btw is not true)

Watching extensive video, while he doesn't have elite lateral movement it's not bad at all and when combined with his wingspan/arm length/jaws of life hands it's obvious why he didn't give up any sacks.

Not you specifically but I'm seeing a lot of posters (again as with Dorian) looking at measurables and drawing incorrect conclusions.

There are plenty of examples of mauling guards playing next to athletic tackles. Richie Incognito wasn't a ballerina. Landon Dickerson has average lateral movement. If you're dominating the person lined up opposite you, that's all that matters.

Also especially early thread there were many allegations of him not being a fit athlete. These are simply untrue and lazy takes based on height/weight.

... weighed over 420 pounds when he started high school and completely changed his nutrition and life habits to carry a comfortable weight... A massive but lean-muscled blocker, Torrence has above-average inline power and physicality in the run game to quickly gain control and drive defenders from their spot. In pass protection, he sets wide, strikes with authority and plays with the reactive quickness to recover and reposition his hands vs. quick pass rushers (zero sacks allowed in 1,501 career pass-blocking snaps).

I doubt they're going to want their starting guard also playing as an extra blocking tight end.

A number of posters who I think have expertise on oline had expressed concerns on scheme fit before the draft. Some of that was directed at whether Torrence was worth #27 overall. Almost everyone acknowledges he is a good player. Charlie Campbell had mentioned that several teams had concerns about a sloppy or bad body with Torrence. I'm not an expert, so I gave some credence to that talk. @MAJBobby upthread? somewhere, in any event, articulated a rationale for the selection that seems plausible. In any event, I'm happy with the pick. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

He's better than Bobby Hart.   But I doubt he moves better.   Hart has played a lot of tackle in the NFL and keeps getting jobs because he's a good athlete for his size.   He was one of the top tackle recruits in the country entering Florida State.  5 star I believe.   Just hasn't materialized but it's not that he's incapable of moving like an NFL guard.   Torrence is reportedly very good at technical aspects of the game and smart which allows him to be quick to identify blitzes and stunts.    

9 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

(which btw is not true)

Oooo I think he can improve his lateral mobility more than he has already when he transforms his bad weight to good weight. 

I don’t see super tight hips in him because there is fluid lateral movement. I don’t think he is every going to be that elite pulling OG because I don’t think he is that athletic. 

but he will work hard. One on the Bills training and diet programs. I think he will likely end up playing around 325. That weight loss and transformation of his body will increase his lateral mobility too. 

I think he is a great pick. But I did want to post weaknesses in his game I did see. 

• Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Oooo I think he can improve his lateral mobility more than he has already when he transforms his bad weight to good weight. 

I don’t see super tight hips in him because there is fluid lateral movement. I don’t think he is every going to be that elite pulling OG because I don’t think he is that athletic. 

but he will work hard. One on the Bills training and diet programs. I think he will likely end up playing around 325. That weight loss and transformation of his body will increase his lateral mobility too. 

I think he is a great pick. But I did want to post weaknesses in his game I did see. 

Yeah I was wholeheartedly against picking him the first round or even in a modest trade back. It’s more about positional value than anything, but late 2nd its a no brainer and a really interesting pick. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’m sure this was probably answered already, but I couldn’t go through 25 pages to look for it…

But was it said why the guy fell so far if he was an all-American?

I can’t help but be reminded of Cody Ford when everyone thought he was a first round talent who fell to us in the 2nd…And then we found out why the rest of the league let him fall…

So if anyone has any insight why this guy fell, it would be greatly appreciated…👍

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, JaCrispy said:

I’m sure this was probably answered already, but I couldn’t go through 25 pages to look for it…

I can’t help but be reminded of Cody Ford when everyone thought he was a first round talent who fell to us in the 2nd…And then we found out why the rest of the league let him fall…

So if anyone has any insight why this guy fell, it would be greatly appreciated…👍

He is limited to guard only. Teams value positional flexibility. So do the Bills, but they were right, expecially at 59, to take the fella that can man one spot for the next 10 years.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Either one works for me. Can we put the two together?

Kind of like the old "bowling ball with butcher knives?"

The grading power of Orlando Pace with the grating power of Conrad Dobler

Edited by stevewin
  • Haha (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Torrence lacks mobility in the sense that you can’t really count on him to be a big time pulling Guard.   He’s also ONLY a Guard.  He’s not going to play Center and he’s not going to be a Tackle.  

What he is, is a guy who will dominate his man in the run game and will anchor and protect Josh Allen in the pass game. 

We have an Offensive Line full of RAS All-Stars who are mobile, with position flex.  We can afford to finally make the investment on a pure Guard who can be an All-Pro at his position.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Hopefully they learned their lesson with Cody and keep him focused on guard only. 

To me that was always a problem with both coaching and player. On the one hand they really never allowed him to come in and stick to learning/getting reps in one spot. The kinda jerked him all over a bit.

On the other hand, Ford never made any spot they did try him in "his" spot. That shouldn't be an issue with Torrence. He should slide in at RG and stay there for a loooong time.

2 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

I hope they put Torrence on the right side next to Brown.

Damien Harris running behind those two will be fun to watch... Cook and Hines too.

They have to keep him at RG, at least as a rookie.  One less thing for him to have to worry about (i.e. switching sides).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, Doc said:

They have to keep him at RG, at least as a rookie.  One less thing for him to have to worry about (i.e. switching sides).

I agree. I do think that playing both sides is not a huge deal but in this case having a guy who just started his last 34 college games at RG moving to another spot makes no sense. He did play a bunch of left guard his freshmen year,  but imo just plug him in at RG after he earns it. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 4

28 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Steal of the draft at pick 59. Could be an all pro guard for years to come. 

agreed. Very excited about this pick. If we had gotten a massive OT to put next to him I would have been over the moon.

If 6’8 375 Dawand Jones becomes an All Pro like he could, we’ll have to live with taking another undersized LB in the 3rd over him.

Dang, would have loved seeing him and Cyborg next to each other

can you imagine designed runs with Josh behind those 2? Oh man 1,000 lbs coming downhill at you like boulders

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Dr. Who said:
7 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

He is limited to guard only.

Yes. The mgt sometimes has over covet a flexible OL positions but kudos for mgt to just wake, realize a guy that does one thing well and for years. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.