Was the trade up necessary? 🤔

StHustle

Was it worth us trading up in the first and losing our 4th round pick?  

345 members have voted

1. 1. Considering the players still available and what we gave up, was trading our 4th round pick worth moving up two slots to draft Dalton Kincaid?

• Yes, it WAS worth it!
    • No, it is NOT worth what we gave up!

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/30/2023 at 11:37 PM

Just now, PBF81 said:

BTW, one could easily spin that otherwise.  Playing devil's advocate, and for the purposes of discussion, ... 

To all the people who voted yes, ... do you hate having a reliable defense and one that doesn't shut down in the playoffs, or an OL that can't keep the heat off in the playoffs?  

See how easy it is.  

As well, as if "voting yes" even matters.  The entire board was gaga when we drafted Oliver and couldn't stop talking about he was going to singlehandedly revolutionize the defense.  How'd that work out for us in the storm of popular opinion?  

Same for Rousseau to a lesser extent, and everyone went absolutely nuts over Zay Jones too.  It's easy to say things now, but back then the opinions and "votes" were the same.  Again, how'd that work out for us.  

So how about simply waiting and seeing.  Either way, Kincaid is hardly the end-all-to-be-all selection.  

Except there was nothing available where they were drafting that could have helped with either of those things? Like even if you drafted JPJ  - probably the best defender left on the board at 27 - you're going from either Elam or Tre to JPJ? I'm not trying to be arrogant or anything, but you simply didn't have starting players at either OL or LB at that spot. The closest was Anton Harrison from Oklahoma, who's long term position might actually be IOL, and was a reach by the Jags. Odds are he wouldn't have beaten out our incumbent RT. Does Mazi Smith start at 1T? No. Would Beresee start at 3T? I believe not. 

Sure you can make the arguement those picks would have been better...but I guess I just disagree with them over an actual starter in Dalton Kincaid, who can play inside or outside when we go 11/12, both he and Knox are going to get a ton of reps, and it enables Diggs to play inside/out as well. 

Kincaid has the potential to exponentially improve the offense in games like we saw against the Bengals, who were especially so effective in their pass rush, becasue they never feared the pass game between the hashes

2 hours ago, StHustle said:

Ok well I agree with it so what must I pay better attention to? I'm just getting folks on record now cause the whole trade up thing is a very polarizing topic.

You asked a question subjectively and gave it a poll, but this is kind of a moot point. For the only person in which it matters,  the answer is yes. The player he wanted was on another teams board and he needed to do what he had to do to get the job done. That said, creating a thread 15 hrs after the fact to discuss something thats being discussed adnauseam in no less than 3 other threads is redundant.  Thus, by paying better attention to either would have given you your answer.  This is akin to making a for sale post, listing the price in the post and then the 1st question is how much. You arent the only person and this is deff a bit of me yelling at clouds but back when the BB message boards were a thing - this tyoe of post didnt exist here.

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

Everyone knew Dallas wanted Kincaid IF he was there.

Surely, if we all knew what they wanted to do, they would put the word out to have the chance to match/exceed a trade offer if someone tries to jump them, no?

Don't forget that the order had changed.  The Giants traded up for Jax (which by the way I didn't understand).  So Dallas may not have had time to negotiate.  As for the Giants tradeup, maybe they had orchestrated a prior arrangement to keep the Bills out, and it was activated.

As for the OP, yes to the trade up!  This one I can understand (as apposed to last years when I didn't think it was necessary).  When they did the move up I think most people figured the Bills were now picking a TE, and most people had Kincaid as the top TE.  

27 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Discernment of human nature. Do you always accept at face value the public statements of public figures? Lots of commentators have concluded the Cowboys wanted Kincaid, not just Skip Bayless. So, it's a matter of judgment. No one is hooking Jerry Jones up to a lie detector. If you believe him, I think that is naive, but you are free to maintain that judgment.

You literally believe Beane. What's the difference?

Just now, KDIGGZ said:

You literally believe Beane. What's the difference?

Judgment is prudential. Beane tends to be a straight shooter -- this is what I think after listening to interviews for a number of years and comparing what he says to how he acts professionally. In this circumstance, I don't think there is warrant for suspicion in his regards. Maybe you do. The Cowboys need a TE and numerous folks think they wanted Kincaid. Looking at the body language of the Cowboys war room and the length of time they took to make the pick, I believe they did indeed want Kincaid and that Jones created a narrative to save face. Jones also has a long history. He is not an inveterate liar, but I can believe in this particular circumstance he has reason to fib and that he is in fact not telling the truth.

And in general, discernment is finely calibrated to the particularities of a situation, though the norms of human nature guide practical judgment.

3 hours ago, StHustle said:

Ok so Im like many of us Bills Mafians. I HATE the thought that we traded up unnecessarily for a pick Beane decided to make in earlier drafts. Welp here we are again, another draft, another trade up in the first. Some of Beane's previous trade ups were understandable while many others were highly questionable. FOR THIS SPECIFIC TRADE UP, do you feel Beane was completely justified? Even if you believe the Cowboys would have indeed selected Kincaid and for us to get him, trading up was necessary. If you dont feel the pick was worth the sacrifice, STILL VOTE NO. So my polling question here is, DO YOU FEEL THE TRADE UP IN THE FIRST ROUND OF THE 2023 DRAFT WAS WORTH IT? Put your current opinion on the matter on the record RIGHT NOW!

Atlanta just paid a 4th 110 overall to move up from 44 to 38

Bills paid pick 130 to move up two spots in round 1

Totally worth it

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DJB said:

Atlanta just paid a 4th 110 overall to move up from 44 to 38

Bills paid pick 130 to move up two spots in round 1

Totally worth it

The point differential for the Bills was 40 and they gave up 42.  The differential for Atlanta was 60 and they paid 72.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

trading a 4th round pick to move up two spots in the draft seems like pretty poor value. I wouldn't have done it. I would have rather a 5 +6.

The value was fine.  And yes a 5th and 6th would have gotten the value but the Jags probably were demanding the 4th.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If there is a guy that they feel strong on, then you go when you get your guy

There is no doubt that Dallas was about to draft Dalton Kincaid

The choices were either go to the next guy on your board or give up the fourth round pick

By the way, I hated giving up that pic as well whenever we only had six pics, but this is an important draft for Brandon been we need immediate play makers

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

The value was fine.  And yes a 5th and 6th would have gotten the value but the Jags probably were demanding the 4th.

I'm not talking about draft chart value, I'm talking about value to our team. We need contributors and a 4th could be that. If I'm trading a 4th, it's to get another top 100 guy.

Edited by BullBuchanan

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

That's a tangent.  

Point being people here were all gaga about him too and his gawdy collegiate numbers.  Sometimes you have to look at how they were amassed.  That's the job of the scouts, if they fail to do so it's at their own risk.  

Look at how rookie TEs typically perform, even the most highly rated ones.  I simply don't see him making a significant rookie impact, and that's if they even use him and if they do whether the use him to utilize his skillset as best that they can.  Look what they did with Himes, signed him, blathered on about a receiving RB that would "open things up," and then hardly any opportunities to do that, and it had nothing at all to do with his abilities, because he's quite capable.  

I simply think that everyone's expectations are far too high for him.  Beane needed to knock one out of the park.  I"ve never said that Kincaid isn't or won't be good, but that I doubt he'll be a significant difference maker, and for a team weak on the OL and currently two LBs short of a full set, it was a luxury pick.  They should have gone Harrison.  

We'll see what happens, but if Allen doesn't have the protection again and our running game isn't any better, then Beane's going to have nowhere to hide now.  I mean how many seasons of leaning on Allen to cover-up all of his miscues in the drafts can he have?  What, he's a cat with 9 lives like that or something.  

Either way, all I was saying originally was that fan opinion here doesn't matter a hill of beans as to how things play out.  All we do is discuss, bicker, argue, etc. each other.  LOL  

But looking back over the past, my expectations for a rookie TE coming out of the PAC-12 aren't high.  

You are entitled to your opinion

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

That's a tangent.  

Point being people here were all gaga about him too and his gawdy collegiate numbers.  Sometimes you have to look at how they were amassed.  That's the job of the scouts, if they fail to do so it's at their own risk.  

Look at how rookie TEs typically perform, even the most highly rated ones.  I simply don't see him making a significant rookie impact, and that's if they even use him and if they do whether the use him to utilize his skillset as best that they can.  Look what they did with Himes, signed him, blathered on about a receiving RB that would "open things up," and then hardly any opportunities to do that, and it had nothing at all to do with his abilities, because he's quite capable.  

I simply think that everyone's expectations are far too high for him.  Beane needed to knock one out of the park.  I"ve never said that Kincaid isn't or won't be good, but that I doubt he'll be a significant difference maker, and for a team weak on the OL and currently two LBs short of a full set, it was a luxury pick.  They should have gone Harrison.  

We'll see what happens, but if Allen doesn't have the protection again and our running game isn't any better, then Beane's going to have nowhere to hide now.  I mean how many seasons of leaning on Allen to cover-up all of his miscues in the drafts can he have?  What, he's a cat with 9 lives like that or something.  

Either way, all I was saying originally was that fan opinion here doesn't matter a hill of beans as to how things play out.  All we do is discuss, bicker, argue, etc. each other.  LOL  

But looking back over the past, my expectations for a rookie TE coming out of the PAC-12 aren't high.  

What tangent?  Zay Jones was brought up, and I pointed out something was goofy there. I think that’s a fact. 

I’ll take the eyes of more informed people, like Daniel Jeremiah and Chris Simms, over your opinion or mine. They have him as a top 10-15 talent. I don’t buy the “good players out of conference X can’t be had at positions Y.” We used to say in banking, because you got burned on a car loan for a blue Buick doesn’t mean you don’t lend on blue cars or Buicks. Every situation is unique. It requires knowledge and experience to know the difference. 

I like his skill set. My biggest concern is Dorsey knowing how to use the pieces he’s given. I’m hoping for large strides forward for our OC. 

4 hours ago, skibum said:

I'm going with a soft 'no', because there were still a lot of great players on the board, and this was something of a luxury pick. Don't get me wrong, I like the player a lot, but he will have to make a pretty big impact for this to be a square deal. As with all draft picks, we don't know if that will pan out. 

How is a receiver a luxury pick?  We most certainly needed another weapon for Josh.

5 hours ago, StHustle said:

Ok so Im like many of us Bills Mafians. I HATE the thought that we traded up unnecessarily for a pick Beane decided to make in earlier drafts. Welp here we are again, another draft, another trade up in the first. Some of Beane's previous trade ups were understandable while many others were highly questionable. FOR THIS SPECIFIC TRADE UP, do you feel Beane was completely justified? Even if you believe the Cowboys would have indeed selected Kincaid and for us to get him, trading up was necessary. If you dont feel the pick was worth the sacrifice, STILL VOTE NO. So my polling question here is, DO YOU FEEL THE TRADE UP IN THE FIRST ROUND OF THE 2023 DRAFT WAS WORTH IT? Put your current opinion on the matter on the record RIGHT NOW!

If you think it was unnecessary than you don't understand what was happening. 

2 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

I'm not talking about draft chart value, I'm talking about value to our team. We need contributors and a 4th could be that. If I'm trading a 4th, it's to get another top 100 guy.

The value of a stud tight end is probably greater than that of a late fourth round pick.

4 hours ago, appoo said:

Except there was nothing available where they were drafting that could have helped with either of those things? Like even if you drafted JPJ  - probably the best defender left on the board at 27 - you're going from either Elam or Tre to JPJ? I'm not trying to be arrogant or anything, but you simply didn't have starting players at either OL or LB at that spot. The closest was Anton Harrison from Oklahoma, who's long term position might actually be IOL, and was a reach by the Jags. Odds are he wouldn't have beaten out our incumbent RT. Does Mazi Smith start at 1T? No. Would Beresee start at 3T? I believe not. 

Sure you can make the arguement those picks would have been better...but I guess I just disagree with them over an actual starter in Dalton Kincaid, who can play inside or outside when we go 11/12, both he and Knox are going to get a ton of reps, and it enables Diggs to play inside/out as well. 

Kincaid has the potential to exponentially improve the offense in games like we saw against the Bengals, who were especially so effective in their pass rush, becasue they never feared the pass game between the hashes

I feel better now that we've drafted Torrence.  

I would argue that Kincaid won't get many starts, ... unless he's our slot WR, but that'd be a different role than TE.  

They're not going to bench Knox in his favor, and I simply don't see us running a lot of 2-TE sets.  I can see it at times, but not regularly.  

We'll see.  But he's a small school TE that played a whole lot of low-end defenses, we'll see how well that translates to the speed and size of the NFL.  

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

You are entitled to your opinion

Gee thanks!  

2 hours ago, Augie said:

What tangent?  Zay Jones was brought up, and I pointed out something was goofy there. I think that’s a fact. 

I’ll take the eyes of more informed people, like Daniel Jeremiah and Chris Simms, over your opinion or mine. They have him as a top 10-15 talent. I don’t buy the “good players out of conference X can’t be had at positions Y.” We used to say in banking, because you got burned on a car loan for a blue Buick doesn’t mean you don’t lend on blue cars or Buicks. Every situation is unique. It requires knowledge and experience to know the difference. 

I like his skill set. My biggest concern is Dorsey knowing how to use the pieces he’s given. I’m hoping for large strides forward for our OC. 

Those guys talk out of their asses all the time, it's what they get paid to do, talk and get views.  

If you do your own detailed analysis like I do, then I'd trust your opinion over theirs any day.   

As to knowledge and experience, I have quite a bit and trust and confidence my analyses and assessments.  I won't render opinions if I haven't done those analyses.  

We are in full agreement on Dorsey, it's definitely concerning until further notice.  

I'm not sure how to answer this because it all depends on how they felt about Kincaid. Because the Cowboys were going to take him 100%...I don't care what anyone says, the Cowboys were taking him. I'm never big on trading up. But I do really like the idea of Dalton on this team, and the direction the Offense is heading in. Especially after they Drafted Torrence. Things are changing and it's going to be good IMHO... B-)

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I feel better now that we've drafted Torrence.  

I would argue that Kincaid won't get many starts, ... unless he's our slot WR, but that'd be a different role than TE.  

They're not going to bench Knox in his favor, and I simply don't see us running a lot of 2-TE sets.  I can see it at times, but not regularly.  

We'll see.  But he's a small school TE that played a whole lot of low-end defenses, we'll see how well that translates to the speed and size of the NFL.  

Gee thanks!  

Those guys talk out of their asses all the time, it's what they get paid to do, talk and get views.  

If you do your own detailed analysis like I do, then I'd trust your opinion over theirs any day.   

As to knowledge and experience, I have quite a bit and trust and confidence my analyses and assessments.  I won't render opinions if I haven't done those analyses.  

We are in full agreement on Dorsey, it's definitely concerning until further notice.  

There are some people here who evaluate and share knowledge about football, college and NFL, that I really appreciate. They don’t sell themselves as experts, they just share their opinions. How much respect their views deserve is determined over time. 

EDIT: BTW, I think Beane already said he’s our big slot. Does that influence your deeply considered opinion? That has been widely discussed. 

Edited by Augie

2 minutes ago, ganesh said:

The draft is a crap shoot.  If you had a feel for a certain player and you needed to get him, the 4th round pick is not important. 

One guy you have a strong feeling about beats a couple….”well, ok, if those are the options”. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

There are some people here who evaluate and share knowledge about football, college and NFL, that I really appreciate. They don’t sell themselves as experts, they just share their opinions. How much respect their views deserve is determined over time. 

EDIT: BTW, I think Beane already said he’s our big slot. Does that influence your deeply considered opinion? That has been widely discussed.

Not really, Beane & Co. is notorious for talking out of his ass.  He's said a lot of things that didn't happen.  Himes, Cook, etc.  

Not looking to pick a fight, but I'm confident in my assessments.  I was one of the few that thought that Oliver was overrated for example.  I made it clear that Zay Jones would be a bust.  So bust on me all you like, I'm the one that has to be happy with my own thoughts.  You can ignore them as you wish.  If you merely want to troll me and pick a fight, I'm really not interested.  Good back-n-forth discussion I'm good with.  

How many times have I said we'll have to wait and see?  I thin that's more than fair, sorry you do not share that view and have to be right instead w/o any proof.  

10 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Not really, Beane & Co. is notorious for talking out of his ass.  He's said a lot of things that didn't happen.  Himes, Cook, etc.  

Not looking to pick a fight, but I'm confident in my assessments.  I was one of the few that thought that Oliver was overrated for example.  I made it clear that Zay Jones would be a bust.  So bust on me all you like, I'm the one that has to be happy with my own thoughts.  You can ignore them as you wish.  If you merely want to troll me and pick a fight, I'm really not interested.  Good back-n-forth discussion I'm good with.  

How many times have I said we'll have to wait and see?  I thin that's more than fair, sorry you do not share that view and have to be right instead w/o any proof.  

I’ll just put this here to demonstrate how non-responsive it was to my post. 

EDIT: Zay Jones had 82 receptions last season. And Ed Oliver was dominant at times when healthy. A high ankle sprain for a DT is a NASTY thing, but he played with it.

Edited by Augie

1 minute ago, Augie said:

What?  

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

And BTW, do you have any idea how many times ALL of the so-called experts are completely wrong regarding draft picks?  

Most of the "experts" merely recycle others' analyses.  No one has the kind of time to spend hours reviewing hundreds of draftees in the kind of detail that's required.  That's why I only do them after the draft typically.  I only care about our picks.  

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

If they wanted Kincaid, it was definitely necessary as he was as close of a lock as there is in a draft to go to Dallas.  So it honestly strictly comes down to how they felt about Kincaid, and they definitely stated he was their guy.  Beane also stated if Kincaid was gone, they had a trade back in place because none of the other players had first round grades on his board.  

Leading up to the draft I kept saying Dallas was a problem and the Giants at 25 make sense for his to move up to and it would cost exactly a 4th this year.  And the reason I said Dallas was a problem was because any of the offensive players people thought we might covet if they fell near us were also going to be guys on Dallas's board too.  Bijan for example, Kincaid obviously, or also even one of the WR's...all depending on how the board fell.

The board fell in a way where there was only one obvious player sticking out and that was Kincaid.  Now some can differ on whether or not Kincaid should have been their guy, but based on them being Beanes target when the 25th pick came up, he had to make that move to get him IMHO. Personally, I agree that he was the BPA on the board, so I was fine with them going after the best player. 

Just hope Dorsey gets this kid the ball now.  

If what you are saying is true about a trade back then I think Beane should have done that.  By not moving back it forced another reach on a small ILB in the third round.  Assuming they trade back into the top of the second round and picked up a 3rd it would have been worth it.  In that scenario they still get a TE, they probably get an OT instead of an OG, and they add an edge or DT in the first 100 picks.

All that said, Kincaid if used properly should help right away and a fourth round talent might not even make the roster at this point unless you part ways with Basham or Epenesa. 

48 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

If what you are saying is true about a trade back then I think Beane should have done that.  By not moving back it forced another reach on a small ILB in the third round.  Assuming they trade back into the top of the second round and picked up a 3rd it would have been worth it.  In that scenario they still get a TE, they probably get an OT instead of an OG, and they add an edge or DT in the first 100 picks.

All that said, Kincaid if used properly should help right away and a fourth round talent might not even make the roster at this point unless you part ways with Basham or Epenesa. 

It is true, he had a trade back in place with the Titans who wanted Levis.  But once Kincaid fell they decided to go get him.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

Unless it’s for a QB you absolutely believe in, I’m not a fan of trading up and giving away picks. Bills needed help on OL, DL, and at LB and traded up in the first to select… a TE. When there’s already one on the roster who doesn’t get targeted enough.

Of course I’m all for Kincaid to ball out and I hope he does, but if I was GM I’m keeping my picks and staying pat or trading down. There’s lots of talent, numerous players we could select at any given pick in rounds 1-3 and the more ammo you have to get those guys, the better. You gotta hit on the picks though and Beane has only selected one blue chip talent.

Given who was available at the time of the Bills pick I (As a fan) thought it was a waste of another pick . This year the "Experts" were calling this a very deep class as far as the TE position was concerned & it has been said that Kinkaid is not a true TE more of a WR in a TE position .

I'm sure Beane knows must more than i do about players but IMHO i hope this guy is used more in the scheme & Quinton Morris showed excellent hands last year & they didn't use him (or Knox) & he is about the same as far as height & weight as Kinkaid & if they do use him as much as Morris it will be a waste of a pick .

Given all that was known about the Bills roster & their needs going in (In my place as a fan) i'm not sure about the picks so far I know you don't go in looking for players for need but i guess it's a good thing that i'm not our GM which i'm sure you all would agree .

We got a TE that's not a true TE more of a WR 

We got a O linemen that's a better fit for the run game than a pass blocker - And there were some very good centers available at our pick 

We got a OLB that did play some ILB in college - A very good Safety was there at our pick in Battle from Ala . & another Ala player was there Henry To'oTo'o Which was a ILB .

I do trust Beane so in my true fandom i hope that these players will be able to be good picks for the team & it's future . That being said i've already read where if Ocyrus lateral movement isn't good he could be a after thought some what like the last Bills second round O linemen Cody Ford they picked .

Heard that Kinkaids blocking is much less than desirable & the LB er is smaller & may be better for ST's 🙏 ...

16 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

They said they had the DT from Michigan higher than any TE which also means they probably didn't have Kincaid #1 out of the TE's. The only person that said they wanted Kincaid was Skip Bayless who has no affiliation with the team, he was just hoping they would get him as a fan 

Lol if you watched them spaz out after we picked you would know they are lying to save face. They took too long to make that pick to have been settled on the DT…

Yes it was necessary.  Beane obviously targeted this guy and wanted him if he fell close enough to make a reasonable trade up.  By reasonable I mean not giving up 2nds and next years 1sts and stuff like that.  I also feel like he can be a really good weapon for us if Dorsey is a good OC and Josh utilizes the talent around him.  We needed a sure hands guy like this.  Someone you can count on to get open and catch the ball.

If he works out or not, who knows but the right potential is there.  There are no guarantees in the draft.  I don't mind our GM trading picks for players they covet.  Dallas obviously wanted him.  Josh has talent around him now.  He also has the capability to get the ball to anyone, anywhere on the field.  I want to see Josh and Dorsey utilize this talent now.

Edited by Scott7975

1 hour ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Lol if you watched them spaz out after we picked you would know they are lying to save face. They took too long to make that pick to have been settled on the DT…

I didn't see it no, where is the video of this? I have not seen that reported either

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.