Was the trade up necessary? 🤔

StHustle

Was it worth us trading up in the first and losing our 4th round pick?  

345 members have voted

1. 1. Considering the players still available and what we gave up, was trading our 4th round pick worth moving up two slots to draft Dalton Kincaid?

• Yes, it WAS worth it!
    • No, it is NOT worth what we gave up!

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/30/2023 at 11:37 PM

1 hour ago, StHustle said:

Ok so Im like many of us Bills Mafians. I HATE the thought that we traded up unnecessarily for a pick Beane decided to make in earlier drafts. Welp here we are again, another draft, another trade up in the first. Some of Beane's previous trade ups were understandable while many others were highly questionable. FOR THIS SPECIFIC TRADE UP, do you feel Beane was completely justified? Even if you believe the Cowboys would have indeed selected Kincaid and for us to get him, trading up was necessary. If you dont feel the pick was worth the sacrifice, STILL VOTE NO. So my polling question here is, DO YOU FEEL THE TRADE UP IN THE FIRST ROUND OF THE 2023 DRAFT WAS WORTH IT? Put your current opinion on the matter on the record RIGHT NOW!

Obviously, you’re NOT like many ‘Bills Mafians’ at all. But Hey! You do you.

5 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

If they wanted Kincaid then yeah it was. Dallas was going to take him and was completely dumbfounded when we got ahead of them

Dan Patrick was hysterical this morning talking about the Dallas draft room. They seemed shocked and had a “what NOW?’ look about them. When they made the pick they all forced a polite clap, while holding back tears. 😂 

1 hour ago, 0017 said:

Worth it just for the look on the faces of jerry jones and crew😂Season 5 What GIF by The Office

I did not read through this thread yet but, did the actual photo of the war room in Dallas’s get posted? 

Also, isn’t the thread title and the poll question two different questions?

I’ll answer both, yes and yes

Edited by JDubya76

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Sorry if I didn’t get my point across correctly.  

i meant to say that he has great route running and movement ability.  Those 2 attributes + his elite ball skills are what sets him apart and a top 15 player in this draft imo. 

Daniel Jeremiah and Chris Simms agree with you, so you’re not in terrible company there. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Sorry if I didn’t get my point across correctly.  

i meant to say that he has great route running and movement ability.  Those 2 attributes + his elite ball skills are what sets him apart and a top 15 player in this draft imo. 

got ya! sorry if i misunderstood bro

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Obviously, you’re NOT like many ‘Bills Mafians’ at all. But Hey! You do you.

The poll is currently 166 to 14, so he’s not completely alone.   😋

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Augie said:

Dan Patrick was hysterical this morning talking about the Dallas draft room. They seemed shocked and had a “what NOW?’ look about them. When they made the pick they all forced a polite clap, while holding back tears. 😂 

Yeah it was hilarious lol

1 hour ago, StHustle said:

Ok so Im like many of us Bills Mafians. I HATE the thought that we traded up unnecessarily for a pick Beane decided to make in earlier drafts. Welp here we are again, another draft, another trade up in the first. Some of Beane's previous trade ups were understandable while many others were highly questionable. FOR THIS SPECIFIC TRADE UP, do you feel Beane was completely justified? Even if you believe the Cowboys would have indeed selected Kincaid and for us to get him, trading up was necessary. If you dont feel the pick was worth the sacrifice, STILL VOTE NO. So my polling question here is, DO YOU FEEL THE TRADE UP IN THE FIRST ROUND OF THE 2023 DRAFT WAS WORTH IT? Put your current opinion on the matter on the record RIGHT NOW!

Beane said it himself if Kinkaid was picked he would have traded back, he was clearly sticking out for them so he did what he felt was the right move. I love the bold move to get Allen another weapon and felt it was a solid move, I hate comparisons but if we just landed Travis Kelce at 25 do we really care about the 4th given away? I sure wont.

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

The Trade up and Pick got them COMPLETELY FLUSTERED

I like how their draft room is setup with Jones like he's the smartest man in the room.  Meanwhile, Terry sits in the corner eating a bowl of fruit loops. 😆

😆

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

Only Dallas knows for sure if they were going to take Dalton Kincaid at their pick.  And they are certainly aren't going to reveal that information to the public, because it makes them look bad.  So whatever Jerry Jones says now means absolutely nothing.

With that said, I've read over tons of mock drafts over the last few weeks.  There was a very strong assumption amongst anyone plugged into the Cowboys that they were targeting Tight End early in the draft.  Of course it could have been a smokescreen.  But the information sitting out there suggested Dallas at least could be looking at Kincaid.

Now if you listen to Brandon Beane, there were multiple offers to trade-down on the table.  He didn't expect anyone they had a 1st Round grade on to reach Pick #27.  The Bills were fully expecting to trade back.  But when Kincaid unexpectedly dropped to #25, and he was the last person with a 1st Round grade they had, Beane decided to make the move.

Time will tell if the Bills scouting on Kincaid was correct.  And ultimately that is all that matters.  But based on the grades Beane had, and the reasonable expectation that Dallas could take him, I do believe the trade-up was a smart move.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

Worth it? Probably not.

But you need to consider that these War Rooms have Intel that us as average fans are not privy to. 

They must have been absolutely convinced Dallas was taking Kincaid and felt they couldn't afford to lose possibly the last offensive player they had a 1st round grade on.

17 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I like how their draft room is setup with Jones like he's the smartest man in the room.  Meanwhile, Terry sits in the corner eating a bowl of fruit loops. 😆

😆

They sit there in that setup every year like they’re better than everyone else and then sat there stonefaced like a bunch of idiots. It’s honestly one of the funniest draft moments ever

• Like (+1) 1

Aside from the fact that they had to jump Dallas, who knows if a team like Cincinnati or something may have been able to jump Dallas as well. A very late 4th is bot a big deal to give up. They also have a pick at 137, so they had two picks in a cluster. They still have a pick in that area. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Zay Jones was out of his mind, for some strange reason. That was a (mental health) outlier, in my mind. He’s still in the league, and I doubt we’ll ever know exactly what was going on behind the scenes. 

That's a tangent.  

Point being people here were all gaga about him too and his gawdy collegiate numbers.  Sometimes you have to look at how they were amassed.  That's the job of the scouts, if they fail to do so it's at their own risk.  

Look at how rookie TEs typically perform, even the most highly rated ones.  I simply don't see him making a significant rookie impact, and that's if they even use him and if they do whether the use him to utilize his skillset as best that they can.  Look what they did with Himes, signed him, blathered on about a receiving RB that would "open things up," and then hardly any opportunities to do that, and it had nothing at all to do with his abilities, because he's quite capable.  

I simply think that everyone's expectations are far too high for him.  Beane needed to knock one out of the park.  I"ve never said that Kincaid isn't or won't be good, but that I doubt he'll be a significant difference maker, and for a team weak on the OL and currently two LBs short of a full set, it was a luxury pick.  They should have gone Harrison.  

We'll see what happens, but if Allen doesn't have the protection again and our running game isn't any better, then Beane's going to have nowhere to hide now.  I mean how many seasons of leaning on Allen to cover-up all of his miscues in the drafts can he have?  What, he's a cat with 9 lives like that or something.  

Either way, all I was saying originally was that fan opinion here doesn't matter a hill of beans as to how things play out.  All we do is discuss, bicker, argue, etc. each other.  LOL  

But looking back over the past, my expectations for a rookie TE coming out of the PAC-12 aren't high.  

To all the people who voted no....do you hate having reliable threat between the hashes, and a safety valve that'll get you 5-10 yards whenever defenses strategize to take away the perimeter?

Or are you perhaps Chuck Pollack of the Olean Times?

image.thumb.png.0d9c2919b05ab5336ca15cc509f8297e.png

2 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Based on what? Who is your source?

Didn't Beane himself tell us this?

1 minute ago, KDIGGZ said:

Based on what? Who is your source?

Discernment of human nature. Do you always accept at face value the public statements of public figures? Lots of commentators have concluded the Cowboys wanted Kincaid, not just Skip Bayless. So, it's a matter of judgment. No one is hooking Jerry Jones up to a lie detector. If you believe him, I think that is naive, but you are free to maintain that judgment.

2 minutes ago, appoo said:

To all the people who voted no....do you hate having reliable threat between the hashes, and a safety valve that'll get you 5-10 yards whenever defenses strategize to take away the perimeter?

Or maybe they just thought that we needed OL or a starting LB since we only have one good one instead.  

Why does everyone have to be right about everything?  Can't things just be a discussion?  

Just now, PBF81 said:

Or maybe they just thought that we needed OL or a starting LB since we only have one good one instead.  

Why does everyone have to be right about everything?  Can't things just be a discussion?  

I was being somewhat mean/sarcastic, because I'm frustrated at all the negativity these days around here, that's my bad -  but the point I was trying to make is that with first round picks, you try to add as much value to the current roster for next season as possible. 

There wasn't a LB or Lineman anywhere near the value of Kincaid, and really based on what was left, if the Bills hadn't swung that trade, they were better off trading out of the first round entirely. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, appoo said:

BTW, one could easily spin that otherwise.  Playing devil's advocate, and for the purposes of discussion, ... 

To all the people who voted yes, ... do you hate having a reliable defense and one that doesn't shut down in the playoffs, or an OL that can't keep the heat off in the playoffs?  

See how easy it is.  

As well, as if "voting yes" even matters.  The entire board was gaga when we drafted Oliver and couldn't stop talking about he was going to singlehandedly revolutionize the defense.  How'd that work out for us in the storm of popular opinion?  

Same for Rousseau to a lesser extent, and everyone went absolutely nuts over Zay Jones too.  It's easy to say things now, but back then the opinions and "votes" were the same.  Again, how'd that work out for us.  

So how about simply waiting and seeing.  Either way, Kincaid is hardly the end-all-to-be-all selection.  

3 minutes ago, appoo said:

I was being somewhat mean/sarcastic, because I'm frustrated at all the negativity these days around here, that's my bad -  but the point I was trying to make is that with first round picks, you try to add as much value to the current roster for next season as possible. 

There wasn't a LB or Lineman anywhere near the value of Kincaid, and really based on what was left, if the Bills hadn't swung that trade, they were better off trading out of the first round entirely. 

That's fair, but how about Harrison?  He'd have been an equally solid pick.  Or simply trading down, we don't know whether anyone was willing to trade-up.  I doubt that we ever will.  

Either way, we presently have only one starting caliber LB.  What if Milano goes down with an injury, for several games much less the rest of the season?  Then what?  Do you really have confidence in our LBs?  I don't, none whatsoever after Milano.  

And the OL, OK, so we got McGovern, and there's mixed reviews there, but that's about it as Morse ages out and our Ts approach contracts.  I don't think that Beane is a great planner and he should be counting his lucky stars every single night that he has Allen.  I doubt he'd still be here if we had drafted Rosen.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.