Which NFL player did you think was going to be good but turned out to be a bust?

Magox

5 hours ago, DrW said:

Well, the right Josh is an obvious choice. However, as a fan of the Texas Tech Red Raiders (well, I am on TTU's faculty), my entry is Michael Crabtree. His college career was stellar. As TTU was the permanent underdog, no TTU sports fan will ever forget his catch to beat our arch rivals UT in 2008.

Crabtree's NFL career was not a bust. However, "meh" is a precise description. In TTU's underdog mentality (this goes way beyond athletics; of all the state universities in Texas, the vast majority of funds goes to UT and Texas A&M; our share is a pittance), we favor TTU college athletes who did better than expected as professional, such as Zach Thomas, Wes Welker, and perhaps even Patrick Mahomes.

Harsh on Crabtree IMO, he never lived up to his draft status, but he was above average for 7-8 years.  

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Darius was a major disappointment for me.  The guy was a beast at Alabama and did crap in Buffalo and was even worse after he got paid.

Yup....Sammy ranks 1 and Dareus 2. Way too much talent from both to flame out like they did.  Maybin was a bust right out of the gate. 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, TailgateChef said:

I'll play:

Solomon Thomas.  Single-handedly won the 2016 Sun Bowl vs. Trubisky and NC.

Vernon Gholston.  He ruined the Big 10 in 2007.

Justin Blackmon.  Was unstoppable as a Soph and Jr.

I'd give yourself a pass on Blackmon. He didn't fail for football reasons.

Carson Strong.  QB, Nevada a couple years ago

I thought he had an NFL arm (can't run, but good thrower) ....I thought he'd be drafted high....heading into his last year of college...wasn't drafted at all.  Hasn't stuck with a team as a UDFA..etc etc.

....Let me be clear.  I did NOT want KC to draft him because I am a NO RB in round 1 believer...but think when KC drafted Clyde Edwards Hellaire, that KC was getting a really good player.  

And one that's been a polorizing figure around these parts....I thought Terrell Bernard was going to be a really good NFL LB....captain of a defense, green dot type guy.  I wanted KC to draft him.  Maybe he's still got a chance to prove it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Zerovoltz said:

Carson Strong.  QB, Nevada a couple years ago

I thought he had an NFL arm (can't run, but good thrower) ....I thought he'd be drafted high....heading into his last year of college...wasn't drafted at all.  Hasn't stuck with a team as a UDFA..etc etc.

....Let me be clear.  I did NOT want KC to draft him because I am a NO RB in round 1 believer...but think when KC drafted Clyde Edwards Hellaire, that KC was getting a really good player.  

And one that's been a polorizing figure around these parts....I thought Terrell Bernard was going to be a really good NFL LB....captain of a defense, green dot type guy.  I wanted KC to draft him.  Maybe he's still got a chance to prove it.

Carson has no knees. His body won't stand up to NFL practice let alone NFL games. And he was last year FWIW. Currently signed to the USFL.

• Like (+1) 1

“A draft bust is a highly touted or highly selected draftee who does not meet expectations. A player is also regarded as a larger bust if more successful players are drafted after them.“

Wikipedia definition, not perfect but at least it’s something. 

as far as clowney goes he’s never had double digit sacks in a season . he’s had .4 sacks per game for his career. Shaq Lawson has had .26 at about 1/3 the career earnings (also arguably a bust). (Myles Garrett .88 sacks per game for reference. Nick bosa .84) 

in clowney’s defense, the expectations for him might’ve been impossible to live up to and i imagine it’s hard to stay motivated when you have the options $80million provide. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Shortchaz said:

“A draft bust is a highly touted or highly selected draftee who does not meet expectations. A player is also regarded as a larger bust if more successful players are drafted after them.“

Wikipedia definition, not perfect but at least it’s something. 

as far as clowney goes he’s never had double digit sacks in a season . he’s had .4 sacks per game for his career. Shaq Lawson has had .26 at about 1/3 the career earnings (also arguably a bust). (Myles Garrett .88 sacks per game for reference. Nick bosa .84) 

in clowney’s defense, the expectations for him might’ve been impossible to live up to and i imagine it’s hard to stay motivated when you have the options $80million provide. 

Yea that isn't my definition of a bust. My definition of a bust, from a first round player is a guy who can't play. Jamarcus Russell was a bust. Darron Lee was a bust. EJ Manuel was a bust. Johnny Manziel was a bust. Kevin White was a bust. John Ross was a bust. Those guys who turn out to not even be serviceable NFL starters. 

But it is fair there are different definitions. Clowney definitely underperformed expectations. But it is unfair to have a single category called bust into which you throw him and Jamarcus Russell IMO.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea that isn't my definition of a bust. My definition of a bust, from a first round player is a guy who can't play. Jamarcus Russell was a bust. Darron Lee was a bust. EJ Manuel was a bust. Johnny Manziel was a bust. Kevin White was a bust. John Ross was a bust. Those guys who turn out to not even be serviceable NFL starters. 

But it is fair there are different definitions. Clowney definitely underperformed expectations. But it is unfair to have a single category called bust into which you throw him and Jamarcus Russell IMO.

Yes it’s all a little hair splitting. “That’s not pizza, only Neapolitan style pizza made in Naples with D.O.P ingredients is pizza!” 

Quarterback’s probably need their own category. There’s so much attention and pressure associated with the position that they can’t be hidden like a fair-to-middling d.e. 

• Like (+1) 1

OK, I'll say it.........Rob Johnson

I saw him play once when he was in college, and I caught an NFL game he was in before we traded for him. I was impressed by his size, accuracy, arm strength, and ability to run.  RJ had everything.....except  a head for the game.

Even after it was apparent that he would never amount to much (to be kind), I was waiting in the back of my mind for RJ to step up one day and to watch his tremendous skillset take over. Obviously this never happened. 

The scouts seemed to know about RJ before we did. Iirc, he was the 1st pick of round 4.  One would think that a QB with his talent would be selected FAR earlier. RJ made me rate QBs in a different way today. Let's see how Anthony Richardson fares in the NFL. He has all the talent in the world but does he have a feel for the game? I know I wouldn't touch him if I were a GM.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

When I decide who I think is a bust, I take into consideration who we passed on in order to select a player. 

When the Bills drafted Leodis McKelvin, they passed on 2 great offensive linemen (that were desperately needed) who were selected immediately after our blunder of a pick. 

McKelvin wasn't that bad of a player. He would have been a fairly good 4th round pick. Donte Whitner wasn't a horrible player either, but he cost the Bills more than 36 million dollars in pure cap cost (quite a hit in 2006) and again, we passed up on several better players and many offers to trade down. I would classify both players as busts, but of course this is jmo.

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree totally GB. A "true" bust does not end up following their rookie contract with a life changing contract like Dareus did with Buffalo or Watkins with KC. Did they live up to their draft status? No. But they weren't busts.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

When I decide who I think is a bust, I take into consideration who we passed on in order to select a player. 

When the Bills drafted Leodis McKelvin, they passed on 2 great offensive linemen (that were desperately needed) who were selected immediately after our blunder of a pick. 

McKelvin wasn't that bad of a player. He would have been a fairly good 4th round pick. Donte Whitner wasn't a horrible player either, but he cost the Bills more than 36 million dollars in pure cap cost (quite a hit in 2006) and again, we passed up on several better players and many offers to trade down. I would classify both players as busts, but of course this is jmo.

Neither of those are busts. They might both have been poor uses of a first round pick, but neither were busts IMO. McKelvin played 9 years in the league, started 72 games, and was a starting level corner (although I agree not worth the pick they spent). Whitner played 11 years, started 152 games and went to two probowls. That isn't a bust. 

That is what I mean there HAS to be a way of distinguishing between a guy who was maybe overdrafted, or maybe didn't quite meet expectation, or maybe just wasn't the best player on the board when a team picked and a guy who is a flat out failure in the NFL. Aaron Maybin was a bust. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/22/2023 at 8:25 AM, Mr. WEO said:

Tony Mandarich

Todd Marinovich

Usually when EVERYONE says something, it's a good chance the other opinion is right...group speak basically leads people to stop reasoning logically and ignore anything contradictory because they don't want to be ostracized.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

My friend still gives me **** about Locker to this day. And Clausen. Both massive busts 

That sucks. I did not believe in Clausen, but injuries can rob any player of their career. Locker, Okudah, Luck, Courtney Brown, etc., etc.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd give yourself a pass on Blackmon. He didn't fail for football reasons.

The rumors were out there well before the draft in regards to Blackmon’s problems. Usually it goes that way. Darron Lee (tOSU, Jest) is another example. Sometimes you can get the kid some help and he takes it and surprises you though. Tyrann Mathieu certainly turned his life around. Where in the draft a team takes chances like that matter a lot obviously. 

• Like (+1) 1

Actually 2 came from the same team in the same year.

Sedrick Ellis and Keith Rivers, 2008.  Ellis didn't have a great 40 time, but he had a great senior year and was basically unblockable at the Senior Bowl.  RIvers could fly and I thought he was going to be a Derrick Brooks.

But then, 2008 was the year of the Top 10 defensive bust.

Glenn Dorsey

Vernon Gholston (sp.)

Ellis

Derrick Harvey

Rivers

Were all taken at spots 5-9 of that draft.  But it was Ellis and Rivers that I thought would shine.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Yantha said:

Alabama quarterback A J McCarron..🤦‍♂️

McCarron was drafted in the 5th round.

Not many people were expecting much from him.

47 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

My friend still gives me **** about Locker to this day. And Clausen. Both massive busts 

Clocker and Clausen.

• Haha (+1) 1

JP Losman. Back in 2004 I used to study the draft a lot more than I now do & I would put together a draft board & draft the same time as the Bills.  I "drafted" JP at pick 13 & cheered when the Bills traded up for him.  Then I doubled down & brought two pieces of paper to a game, onewith J & one with P & when Bledsoe made a bad play I would chant J P and hold up the letters to match my chant.  

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

McCarron was drafted in the 5th round.

Not many people were expecting much from him.

I know....  I thought he was being unfairly underrated.

I guess that's why I'm not a scout!

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Shortchaz said:

If there was a thread for dollars earned compared to performance Sam Bradford would be on it 

He made some serious cash, but I wouldn't necessarily call him a bust, in the extremely rare cases when he was healthy he played well at times. But the guy was built of glass.

On 4/22/2023 at 6:02 PM, Green Lightning said:

Walt Patulski

My choice too and it pains me as I'm Polish😕

Josh Rosen as other posters have said too. But here's a spin, are you really a bust with career earnings of $19 million. I get it, performance vs income

Edited by MarkyMannn

7 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Good point, lesson learned is not to draft any Mike Williams.

29 minutes ago, jethro_tull said:

Robert Woods.  He killed it at USC and I was ecstatic when the Bills picked him.  Not bad but never a star.  

To call him a bust you must have expected him to be top 5 every year. He is top 25 in total receiving yards since joining the league, with two 1100+ yard seasons while being a great down field blocker. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

No

Did he live up to his draft selection? No but he has made a final career for himself in the league

This is where I view it differently. I’d say that not living up to one’s draft selection is the exact definition of bust. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.