Which NFL player did you think was going to be good but turned out to be a bust?

Magox

Dorial Green-Beckham - a physical specimen, a mental child

Chester McGlockton - Reggie White like power, Albert Haynesworth like motivation

John Manziel - the Hangover that never ended

Josh Rosen - could have been a great journeyman like Fitz, at least

Jeff George - John Elway's arm, Ryan Leaf's maturity

David Dixon - thought he was Randall Cunningham 2.0

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

There are too many to list:

Sammy seemed like a sure thing. Not a bust but disappointing. 

Hardy for sure. 

The TE Shawn Nelson. We were all so happy w him then he never got going. 

Trent Edwards. Not a high pick and did not expect much, but after about his first 16 games looked to be a solid NFL QB. 

Nelson did fumble in that Patriots game. 

1 hour ago, MJS said:

He's had an entire career now to judge him by, not just his time with the Bills.

Calling him a bust is ridiculous.  If he was a bust, then only 3 Bills WRs at most have ever not been busts.  He’s got 364 catches for 5,384 yards and 34 TDs so far in his career.  Those are basically Lee Evans numbers.  That’s not what Buffalo was hoping for after 2015, but he’s not a bust.

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

The Pro Bowl selections still meant something when Clowney got them. You should know that. And as mentioned above, Clowney was taken first overall and while he hasn’t lived up to that he’d have been a very worthwhile first round selection. I just think it’s hilarious that people argue he busted when that’s obviously not the case and because Reggie Bush, who was thought of as a lock for that first overall pick and went second, really did bust. Easy money right there, but some people would rather ignore the limitless list of real busts to talk about how bad they think Clowney sucked. 

You have got to be kidding about Clowney right?  He has been an afterthought most of his NFL career.  Doesn't seem like a bad dude.  But he has hardly left his mark on the NFL.  I don't think he has sucked.  But he has not been a difference maker.  People thought he would be at the level of JJ Watt in his prime.  That's a high standard.  But he has not even been remotely close to that.  Has not played at the level of what you want your 1st round picks to play at.  

1 hour ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Darius was a major disappointment for me.  The guy was a beast at Alabama and did crap in Buffalo and was even worse after he got paid.

He was an All Pro in Buffalo before Rex arrived and Terry Pegula let Todd France write a contract for Dareus with no penalty for transgressions..........but yes..........Dareus was a potential HOF'er.    Would love to have seen what a talent like that would have done if he came into the league in a culture situation like the Bills have now.   He was the most talented DT the Bills have ever had.......he could have been a 100 career sack guy from the interior.........and he could have been seen in the same light as Von Miller is now.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

Aaron Curry LB out of Wake Forest. Seahawks took him 4th overall and I thought he would be an instant HoF player, I was dead wrong lol.

Oh, that’s a great one! Thought he was going to be a stud no doubt! 

48 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

Aaron Curry LB out of Wake Forest. Seahawks took him 4th overall and I thought he would be an instant HoF player, I was dead wrong lol.

I thought he was going to be a beast too. His tape was incredible. He looked like an instant plug and play pro bowler 

Perry Tuttle!

Wide receiver out of Clemson, drafted by the Bills in the first round, #19, in the 1982 draft, one of the earliest I payed attention to/cared about.

He had over 17 yards per reception in his last two years at Clemson, and about 900 yards receiving a year during a time when that was very good.

Total bust in the NFL!    24 receptions and 368 yards in two years with the Bills--and one catch in in his one year, 5 games, after that.  NFL career: 375 yards

Tuttle was going to be a vital piece in the Bills taking the next step. It was as if his college playing years had no relevance to his actual NFL potential which was close to nil.

He did light it up in Canada after he left the NFL, but not an NFL caliber player.

Edited by Mister Defense

44 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

You have got to be kidding about Clowney right?  He has been an afterthought most of his NFL career.  Doesn't seem like a bad dude.  But he has hardly left his mark on the NFL.  I don't think he has sucked.  But he has not been a difference maker.  People thought he would be at the level of JJ Watt in his prime.  That's a high standard.  But he has not even been remotely close to that.  Has not played at the level of what you want your 1st round picks to play at.  

What level you want your first round picks to play at? No. But his career is pretty much what you’d expect from a DE picked later in the first round. 

Here’s the other thing about these arguments - players don’t choose where they get drafted. I don’t ding overdrafted players for that. The fault is that of some GM. Clowney has had a long, solid career as a player. That’s not a bust IMO. 

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Maybe my definition of “stink” is a little different.  Signing drama EVERY year, skipping from team to team, producing marginally for high $ and then repeating the process “stinks” to me and if I were building a team I’d have zero interest in someone like him.  

He has had years where his production has been moderate and years where it has been very good. Is a former 2nd team all pro and has been a starter all 9 years in the league. There is no way I call that "stink". 

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He has had years where his production has been moderate and years where it has been very good. Is a former 2nd team all pro and has been a starter all 9 years in the league. There is no way I call that "stink". 

Is went number one overall.  There are many types of stink.  On the field I’d say more “decent plus”.  But every year will the BS will he or won’t he crap is no way to help a team.  It might not even help his bank account but that is clearly his goal. That’s where the stink comes in.  He is a guy to be avoided if you’re building a winning team for the long term.

Just now, 4merper4mer said:

Is went number one overall.  There are many types of stink.  On the field I’d say more “decent plus”.  But every year will the BS will he or won’t he crap is no way to help a team.  It might not even help his bank account but that is clearly his goal. That’s where the stink comes in.  He is a guy to be avoided if you’re building a winning team for the long term.

Yes he has underperformed for a #1 pick. But the thread is about busting. He isn't a bust. No matter what interpretation of stink I have.

4 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

Sammy Watkins ... I was ecstatic when they traded up and his name was called, would've felt that way with Mack as well. He was so good in college, so fast off the line. Then he got to the pros and got hurt regularly and started talking about lizard people.

BUST

Just a minute there, Bucko.  Watkins lets me shoehorn a 'Seinfeld' reference in almost effortlessly.  Sammy 'Fragile Frankie Merman' Watkins. 😁

• Haha (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Blaine Gabbert is in fact not a bust

Shirley you can’t be serious but if you are I am sorry to break the rules you’ve taken it upon yourself to impose on the thread.  In an effort to comply, I’ll simply ask you to supply a list of acceptable names to classify as busts.  I figure if Gabbert isn’t on the list it must be really short.  Thanks in advance.

Edited by 4merper4mer

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes he has underperformed for a #1 pick. But the thread is about busting. He isn't a bust. No matter what interpretation of stink I have.

His lack of team focus has harmed franchises.  I think that stinks but we can certainly agree to disagree.

Just now, 4merper4mer said:

His lack of team focus has harmed franchises.  I think that stinks but we can certainly agree to disagree.

We can. But that isn't what the thread is about. He doesn't belong in a thread about busts. He isn't a bust. 

He isn't necessarily someone I'd want on my team, either. But that is a different conversation.

• Like (+1) 1

EJ Manuel

I kind of always knew he was a work in progress when he got drafted but I thought he seemed to have a real good attitude about him as well.  Like he would put in the hard work needed to succeed in the NFL and learn a lot from his mistakes.  I still think his lack of success came from being weak in between the ears.  

6 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Ryan Leaf.

I thought he was hands down 100% better prospect than Peyton Manning.

He was, physically.  

I thought RG3 was going to be special, injuries really derailed him, but even in the later years of his career he just couldn’t get it done.  Luck also has to be thrown in here too, he had a decent career, but was often injured and really accomplished nothing. 

Edited by DCofNC
  • Agree 1

Well, the right Josh is an obvious choice. However, as a fan of the Texas Tech Red Raiders (well, I am on TTU's faculty), my entry is Michael Crabtree. His college career was stellar. As TTU was the permanent underdog, no TTU sports fan will ever forget his catch to beat our arch rivals UT in 2008.

Crabtree's NFL career was not a bust. However, "meh" is a precise description. In TTU's underdog mentality (this goes way beyond athletics; of all the state universities in Texas, the vast majority of funds goes to UT and Texas A&M; our share is a pittance), we favor TTU college athletes who did better than expected as professional, such as Zach Thomas, Wes Welker, and perhaps even Patrick Mahomes.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

6 hours ago, BillsSbSoon said:

I thought Curry was going to be a beast too. His tape was incredible. He looked like an instant plug and play pro bowler 

Agreed. I also thought very highly of Anthony Barr... was convinced he was a better player than Kahlil Mack. While Barr hasn't been a bust, he's been a bit of a disappointment to me.

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Blaine Gabbert is in fact not a bust

Gabbert was drafted 10th overall, is entering his 13th season and his 6th team. He has 48 career starts. In those starts he has a 13-35 record. In my eyes he's a bust considering his draft position.

On the other hand he's made $26 million over his NFL career so there's that, too.

23 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Agreed. I also thought very highly of Anthony Barr... was convinced he was a better player than Kahlil Mack. While Barr hasn't been a bust, he's been a bit of a disappointment to me.

Gabbert was drafted 10th overall, is entering his 13th season and his 6th team. He has 48 career starts. In those starts he has a 13-35 record. In my eyes he's a bust considering his draft position.

On the other hand he's made $26 million over his NFL career so there's that, too.

I think the definition of busters what is the problem here to me a bust is somebody that’s no longer in the league there also could be different levels of bust

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I didn’t think as highly of Anthony Barr though. The tweener guys where you’re not sure if they are a de or an olb always scare me. Same with the is he a safety or a linebacker tweener

Edited by BillsSbSoon
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I don't watch a lot of college football but when I was at Purdue, I attended most of the games and continued to watch them after graduation on tv.  Back in the 1980's they had a QB named Scott Campbell.  The team around him sucked and his stats as a three-year starter are hardly impressive.  But his numbers didn't do him justice.  I watched him sling the ball around the field with authority - making all the throws.  And I started to tell people: this guy's gonna be an NFL quarterback.  I didn't believe he'd be Joe Montana but I was convinced he'd be a competent starter.

Well, he was chosen in the 7th round by the Steelers and made the squad as the third-stringer running the practice squad.  One game, both the starter and backup got hurt, and Campbell has to come in despite not running any plays with the offense that week.  He didn't light it up but he played decent.  And, at that moment, I was feeling right about him.

But poor Scott spent 6 years in the NFL, mostly as a backup, throwing more incompletions in his lackluster career than completions, and more picks than TDs.  And, having watched his mediocrity unfold, made me realize that I know jack about scouting college QBs.  

Scott has done well in PA real estate, though.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.