Draft Sleepers 2023

GunnerBill

I am on record as not thinking this is the strongest draft I've ever seen (understatement). But there are still a few guys that as I have worked through the tape have taken my eye as potential sleepers. This thread in previous years has been where I've highlighted the likes of Robby Anderson, DJ Reed, Juwan Johnson, our own Tyrel Dodson and Jaylen Watson, the Chiefs 7th round rookie corner who started in the Superbowl. 

So here is my list for this year's draft (grades are where I have them not where I necessarily think they will be drafted):

Jose Ramirez, EDGE, Eastern Michigan

4th round grade

Ramirez flashed for me in the East-West Shrine game back in January. He is just a natural pass rusher. Love his explosion, love his rip move and when he gets those long arms on blockers they find it difficult to get back into the down. He is an older prospect, will turn 24 right after the draft, but that means he comes in as a man ready to go. He is probably a situational pass rusher at the next level in sub packages rather than an every down starter but I expect a team to take a swing maybe around the round 4 comp pick range.

Darius Rush, Cornerback, South Carolina

2nd round grade

It is rare I include someone on a sleeper list that I am this high on but even after impressive display at the Senior Bowl the hype train has been slow to kick into gear for Rush. He ran a 4.36 at the Combine, he has size, super long arms and he is aggressive at the catch point. Okay he doesn’t have the quick twitchy feet you might ideally want and maybe he is more of a zone guy than someone who can mirror receivers in man coverage, but I think this is a plug and play outside corner at the next level.

Bryce Ford-Wheaton, Wide Receiver, West Virginia

5th round grade

The reasons to like Ford-Wheaton are obvious. He is 6’4, ran a 4.38 at the Combine, has long arms and really good hands in contested catch situations. The reasons to dislike him are the route running which is imprecise, the route tree which is non-existent, and the fact that he doesn’t seem to play to his speed or separate that well. But he must be worth a punt for someone because if you can coach him up he can be a monster.

Jalen Graham, Linebacker, Purdue

5th round grade

One of my favourite players in the draft and the consensus on him seems to be he could even go undrafted. But man does this guy play with energy and passion. He is like a cannonball firing at the snap and when he hits you know you have been hit. He also displays good coverage skills as a former safety, especially in zone. You might need to commit some time to his development but this kid can play.

Trey Dean III, Safety, Florida

4th round grade

Another that I know I am higher than the consensus on, but I love him. He is probably too easy to manipulate in coverage to be an every down starter early, but he can be used as a matchup weapon in the passing game. I think as a sub package dime he could cover some of the league’s more athletic tight ends and even match up with bigger slot receivers.

Jordan Mims, Running Back, Fresno State

6th/7th round grade

Jordan Mims isn’t going to wow anyone with speed, he isn’t a power back either, but he is the kind of guy who can carve out a niche for himself in the NFL as a receiving back on 3rd down. He has good vision both when rushing and running after the catch and he has some return value. Kid has a chance to stick on a roster somewhere and make an impact.

Chandler Zavala, Guard, North Carolina State

3rd round grade

I only watched Zavala this week after a friend messaged me on the back of his pro-day. Zavala wasn’t even invited to the Combine but did play at the Shrine game. He wasn’t one that particularly took my eye that day either but watching his film I like this guy. I think he is a better pass blocker than run blocker, but he has nice nimble feet, he can move when he gets out in front and he uses his hands well. The only negative is his age - he is already 24 - but I think he can start in the NFL as a rookie.

As ever the invitation is for people to flame away / disagree or add their own! Last year Pacheco, Woolen and Malcom Rodriguez were all mentioned by posters in the sleeper thread. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 16

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am on record as not thinking this is the strongest draft I've ever seen (understatement). But there are still a few guys that as I have worked through the tape have taken my eye as potential sleepers. This thread in previous years has been where I've highlighted the likes of Robby Anderson, DJ Reed, Juwan Johnson, our own Tyrel Dodson and Jaylen Watson, the Chiefs 7th round rookie corner who started in the Superbowl. 

So here is my list for this year's draft (grades are where I have them not where I necessarily think they will be drafted):

4th round grade

Ramirez flashed for me in the East-West Shrine game back in January. He is just a natural pass rusher. Love his explosion, love his rip move and when he gets those long arms on blockers they find it difficult to get back into the down. He is an older prospect, will turn 24 right after the draft, but that means he comes in as a man ready to go. He is probably a situational pass rusher at the next level in sub packages rather than an every down starter but I expect a team to take a swing maybe around the round 4 comp pick range.

2nd round grade

It is rare I include someone on a sleeper list that I am this high on but even after impressive display at the Senior Bowl the hype train has been slow to kick into gear for Rush. He ran a 4.36 at the Combine, he has size, super long arms and he is aggressive at the catch point. Okay he doesn’t have the quick twitchy feet you might ideally want and maybe he is more of a zone guy than someone who can mirror receivers in man coverage, but I think this is a plug and play outside corner at the next level.

5th round grade

The reasons to like Ford-Wheaton are obvious. He is 6’4, ran a 4.38 at the Combine, has long arms and really good hands in contested catch situations. The reasons to dislike him are the route running which is imprecise, the route tree which is non-existent, and the fact that he doesn’t seem to play to his speed or separate that well. But he must be worth a punt for someone because if you can coach him up he can be a monster.

5th round grade

One of my favourite players in the draft and the consensus on him seems to be he could even go undrafted. But man does this guy play with energy and passion. He is like a cannonball firing at the snap and when he hits you know you have been hit. He also displays good coverage skills as a former safety, especially in zone. You might need to commit some time to his development but this kid can play.

4th round grade

Another that I know I am higher than the consensus on, but I love him. He is probably too easy to manipulate in coverage to be an every down starter early, but he can be used as a matchup weapon in the passing game. I think as a sub package dime he could cover some of the league’s more athletic tight ends and even match up with bigger slot receivers.

6th/7th round grade

Jordan Mims isn’t going to wow anyone with speed, he isn’t a power back either, but he is the kind of guy who can carve out a niche for himself in the NFL as a receiving back on 3rd down. He has good vision both when rushing and running after the catch and he has some return value. Kid has a chance to stick on a roster somewhere and make an impact.

3rd round grade

I only watched Zavala this week after a friend messaged me on the back of his pro-day. Zavala wasn’t even invited to the Combine but did play at the Shrine game. He wasn’t one that particularly took my eye that day either but watching his film I like this guy. I think he is a better pass blocker than run blocker, but he has nice nimble feet, he can move when he gets out in front and he uses his hands well. The only negative is his age - he is already 24 - but I think he can start in the NFL as a rookie.

As ever the invitation is for people to flame away / disagree or add their own! Last year Pacheco, Woolen and Malcom Rodriguez were all mentioned by posters in the sleeper thread. 

I love Zavala as well. His other negative is he only plays LG. Dude has no position versatility which NFL teams love. I could see that hurting him compared to other prospects.  I dont know if Rush is really a sleeper at this point as hes likely to go in the 2nd round. 

3 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I love Zavala as well. His other negative is he only plays LG. Dude has no position versatility which NFL teams love. I could see that hurting him compared to other prospects.  I dont know if Rush is really a sleeper at this point as hes likely to go in the 2nd round. 

Maybe he isn't with teams and I usually don't include the guys everyone has cottoned onto. However, I am still seeing more hype for guys like Stevenson and Brents than I am for Rush and I think he is better than those guys.

10 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

Bryce Ford-Wheaton is 221 lb. Holy cow. That size/speed/weight combo is enticing. If he's a 4th round project(ion), considering the Bills pick at the bottom of each round, is it reasonable to spend a third on him?

I think late 3rd is too early. He is a total size-speed projection. 

50 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

4th round grade

2nd round grade

5th round grade

5th round grade

4th round grade

6th/7th round grade

3rd round grade

Many thanks!  Dean is also smart - academic all-conference every year, but is he too slow?  I am not one who obsesses about 40 times, but I think he ran 4.75 at the Combine.

I saw that PFF is touting Zavala recently, too.  I have not watched any game tape on him, but read that he missed a year with back surgery- that seems like a big red flag, but team Docs will check that.

I’m starting to set Carter Warren’s name as an OT who some say could go day 2. Have you watched him?

I like Wheaton to, and isn't that why we have coaches and trainers to help bring out there best. He's got the things you can't teach, size and speed for that size. I think he could be had at 137.

Always enjoy your posts gunner.

Edited by ScorpionZero

44 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I wouldn't call Woolen a "sleeper" last year, he was one of the most talked about DB's after he crushed the combine and was widely believed he would go in the 2nd round.  I was pounding the drum for him to be our 2nd round pick if we didn't go DB in the first, and a lot of mock drafts had him going in the 2nd round, often high 2nd round, after his combine.  I was even hoping the Bills would trade down in the first and then take Woolen in the 2nd.  

Ultimately, he slipped in the draft, but I wouldn't label him a sleeper heading into it.  I would define a sleeper is someone not getting a ton of buzz and not predicted to go early.  There was a ton of buzz and intrigue around him and he was most often seen as someone who was going to go in the 2nd.  

Funny in the 3rd round last year, the two players I wanted most that were on the board were Woolen and Shakir.  We had already taken Elam, so was hoping for Shakir even though I was higher on Woolen.  After we took Bernard I went and did other things since we didn't have a 4th rounder.  When I came back, we were literally on the clock and I was stunned both Shakir and Woolen were still on the board.  So was stoked we got Shakir, someone I am still high on today.  But would have been thrilled with either pick.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

4th round grade

2nd round grade

5th round grade

5th round grade

4th round grade

6th/7th round grade

3rd round grade

Have you watched film on my son Justin Ellis out of Georgia Southern?  He was DE/edge.  Switching to LB for the pros.  Had his pro day a couple weeks ago.  Ran 4.56-4.66 depending on whose watch in the 40.  23 reps in the bench.  Played at 255 in college.  Dropped down to 235 to play LB in the pros.  He pulled his hammy at the end of his second 40 at his pro day on 3/17.  Its feeling better.  And he has to do the rest of his drills this weekend by video and send to the scouts.  Says they are talking about him converting to FB in the pros.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I wouldn't call Woolen a "sleeper" last year, he was one of the most talked about DB's after he crushed the combine and was widely believed he would go in the 2nd round.  I was pounding the drum for him to be our 2nd round pick if we didn't go DB in the first, and a lot of mock drafts had him going in the 2nd round, often high 2nd round, after his combine.  I was even hoping the Bills would trade down in the first and then take Woolen in the 2nd.  

Ultimately, he slipped in the draft, but I wouldn't label him a sleeper heading into it.  I would define a sleeper is someone not getting a ton of buzz and not predicted to go early.  There was a ton of buzz and intrigue around him and he was most often seen as someone who was going to go in the 2nd.  

Funny in the 3rd round last year, the two players I wanted most that were on the board were Woolen and Shakir.  We had already taken Elam, so was hoping for Shakir even though I was higher on Woolen.  After we took Bernard I went and did other things since we didn't have a 4th rounder.  When I came back, we were literally on the clock and I was stunned both Shakir and Woolen were still on the board.  So was stoked we got Shakir, someone I am still high on today.  But would have been thrilled with either pick.  

Yea the reason I didn't have Woolen on my list last year was because I didn't consider him really a sleeper. I mentioned him in my Senior Bowl write up last January but the time I did this post last year he had a ton of buzz. But then again he went in the 5th, so maybe he WAS a sleeper for teams even if not for the draft media.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Have you watched film on my son Justin Ellis out of Georgia Southern?  He was DE/edge.  Switching to LB for the pros.  Had his pro day a couple weeks ago.  Ran 4.56-4.66 depending on whose watch in the 40.  23 reps in the bench.  Played at 255 in college.  Dropped down to 235 to play LB in the pros.  He pulled his hammy at the end of his second 40 at his pro day on 3/17.  Its feeling better.  And he has to do the rest of his drills this weekend by video and send to the scouts.  Says they are talking about him converting to FB in the pros.  

I have not @Paup 1995MVP but best of luck to him. 

The big question on Bryce Ford-Wheaton is how coachable is he?  Are his shortcomings due to the lack of solid coaching in the past, or laziness, or his football intelligence so poor that he can't learn.  That's all part of the due diligence any team needs to do in scouting a prospect.  That speed-size combination does tend to make me drool a bit.

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Chase Brown, Illinois RB has the potential to be the next Ekeler. 

Love Brown.

Jake Bobo, wr, UCLA https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jake-bobo/3200424f-4255-6112-e781-5b2c8948bd2b

Drake Thomas, LB, NCSu, https://www.bigblueview.com/platform/amp/2023/3/12/23635368/2023-nfl-draft-prospect-profile-drake-thomas-lb-nc-state-scouting-report-ny-giants-news

Darius Rush is a stud! Should go round 2.

Cedric Tillman someone mentioned will be a steal vs sleeper. 6’3” large frame and can win one on one. Lead SEC in 2021, got hurt and took a step back. I consider him a top 10 WR no doubt.

Jalen Cropper WR Fresno State is electric. Good hands, not great. 4.4 speed and shifty. Potential round 4 guy.

Keeanu Benson DT Wisconsin I feel is an under the radar guy. Should go by end of round 2 but I feel he’s a top 45 talent. Ex state level heavy weight wrestler.

Kendre Miller RB TCU. I think in 2-3 years this guy will be a solid back in the league.

Jaelyn Duncan OT Maryland. Athletic, quick feet, not sure how physical this kid is but size and athleticism is there. I’d say better pass blocker than run blocker. Senior Bowl he was solid.

Dont know if it’s a sleeper list vs guys outside round 1 that may prove to be and perform better than round 1 guys draft ahead of them.

2 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Awesome! And you must be proud as hell. 

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

4th round grade

2nd round grade

5th round grade

5th round grade

4th round grade

6th/7th round grade

3rd round grade

It hurts me that Jalen Graham did a full workout at both the combine and his pro day and he just couldn’t improve his athletic testing. I’m a huge fan of him as a college player. When you watch him play, he has first round plays due to his instincts but he will just be too slow at the next level as it pops up a bit in college. Kind of along the lines of Jaquan Johnson - knows how to play safety well but won’t be athletic enough at the NFL level to be a star but could be a very good backup. 

Then on the flip side with Bryce Ford Wheaton, he has the physical testing but it just doesn’t translate on the field enough. Goes down really easily for such a big guy, doesn’t run away from people much despite his 40. But you are right that only so many people are built like him and maybe a good pro coach can get more out of him than WV did.

I will likely add my own list to this thread in the future. But I will leave the one guy I have been trying to spread awareness to for a few weeks: Yasir Abdullah from Louisville - who I think could be the best linebacker in this class if he gets to the right team.

He played both on and off the ball at Louisville and was really an exceptional pass rusher for them. But he is small and will be served best if a team takes him under their wing and make him off ball the entire time. 

His RAS is top notch as well:

And watching him, he has shown me a lot of flashes of what you want from your Linebacker. Maybe the most impressive is blanketing a WR on a wheel route for the pick:

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkx8512w6wUZTinKx_HIWg-esTnSZ6CTU3p

He had himself a game against FSU, blowing up one screen coming from the other side of the field

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxLn9kCB_OiotUc4cPDDVWczTP_mfdx6Pt

One screen where he avoided the lineman

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxYnZf9c3C150Jx62v0fhgglaZWo48ARIe

and two interceptions, this one was a bit more impressive watching the QBs eyes:

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxKbXim2QpIg6zlTdedDFumv87Mid3kq-9

And was able to chase down the speedy Sean Tucker on a screen pass out of the backfield.

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxWGZTnythkHIZ0dg0g7VrDpiDsI8r1iEt

Though it is a small sample size, he only allowed an insane 46.8 passer rating when targeted this year

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Yasir-Abdullah-LB-Louisville

I think he may last until day 3 due to his tweener status but he would be a great addition to our LB room, especially if he gets to sit a year to focus on off ball LB. Plus he adds pass rush which is a nice bonus

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Awesome!  Georgia Southern has a great football program.  They’ve been a top program in 1-AA for more than 30 years and have produced a lot of really good players.

45 minutes ago, mannc said:

Awesome!  Georgia Southern has a great football program.  They’ve been a top program in 1-AA for more than 30 years and have produced a lot of really good players.

Our own Tyler Bass right?

RAYCOMMMMM CAMELIA BOWLLLLL CHAMPSSSSSSS

lol that radio call cracks me up

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

4th round grade

2nd round grade

5th round grade

5th round grade

4th round grade

6th/7th round grade

3rd round grade

I agree with you, Graham can play.  Great post!

A good list so far.  I'll add a few names:

-Karl Brooks DT Bowling Green.  He may no longer be a sleeper and his Pro Day was kinda meh..but he was one of the best, if not the best penetrating DT at the Senior Bowl.  Great first step. Unreal production at Bowling Green, rushing from a number of positions. 

-Yaya Diaby- Edge Louisville.  Bills just met with him.  He needs to work on some edge rushing moves, but physically  he's there.  Strong and quick...did a 4.5 40 at the Combine which would make him the 2nd fastest rusher behind Von. 

-Nathaniel Dell- WR Houston.  I mention him as a sleeper only because he isn't mentioned with the Downs', Flowers, Addisons, etc.  IDK, the man left a number of jockstraps on the practice field during SB week.  You can tell its not merely because of his short area quickness.  He works on his craft.  Productive at Houston, 17 TDs last year.  You can find a way to make him work.

-McClendon Curtis IOL Tenn-Chatt.  Had a good SB week, held his own against the best. BIg, built more than Torrance/Avila.  35" arms, goes around 6'6" and 330lbs. Does get knocked backward very often.

-Caleb Murphy -Edge Ferris St.  A true sleeper.  Incredible production at Ferris St. 25 sacks last year and nearly half of his tackles were behind the LOS. Actually won the Ted Hendricks award last season.  Led his team to 2 DII championships. Stronger than he looks Not a very good Combine, had a 4.8 40, but his shuttle and 3 cone times weren't horrible.  Late round/UDFA...he might be one of those guys that plays better than his timed speed. But its tough to over look his production even at a DII school.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Two on defense…two on offense 

Parker Washington WR PSU…kid catches everything and is crazy elusive will make an active roster

Alex Forsyth Oregon Center….he will be a starter for someone one day

Richard Jibunor DE Troy 

This kid can play will go later then he should cause he needs weight. Get him an NFL strength program and wouldn’t surprise me if he’s a starter one day

Josh Proctor S OSU had top 50 potential till he suffered injuries but another if he’s healthy kids a steal after the 4th round 

Sleepers

1.  Carter Warren - OT - Pitt  Experienced starter that can play both right and left side.  MASSIVE wingspan.  Season cut short by injury...

2. Eli Ricks - CB - Alabama.  Immature kid, but loads of talent with speed, ball skills and 6'3.  

LATE deep sleepers -

1. Cooper Hodges - OT - Appalachian St.  Highest graded RIGHT tackle in FBS.  Flies under the radar becasue of smaller school and not LT.

2. Desjuan Johnson - DL - Toledo.  Very producitve versatile Dlineman from the MAC.  not getting the hype he would if he was at a bigger school

3. Khalef Hailassie - CB - Western Kentucky.  Transfered from Oregon.  Physical, gifted CB...that you've never heard of.

4. Jerrick Reed II - S - New Mexico.  Solid overall safety, with experience and decent measurables.  

2 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

Sleepers

1.  Carter Warren - OT - Pitt  Experienced starter that can play both right and left side.  MASSIVE wingspan.  Season cut short by injury...

2. Eli Ricks - CB - Alabama.  Immature kid, but loads of talent with speed, ball skills and 6'3.  

LATE deep sleepers -

1. Cooper Hodges - OT - Appalachian St.  Highest graded RIGHT tackle in FBS.  Flies under the radar becasue of smaller school and not LT.

2. Desjuan Johnson - DL - Toledo.  Very producitve versatile Dlineman from the MAC.  not getting the hype he would if he was at a bigger school

3. Khalef Hailassie - CB - Western Kentucky.  Transfered from Oregon.  Physical, gifted CB...that you've never heard of.

4. Jerrick Reed II - S - New Mexico.  Solid overall safety, with experience and decent measurables.  

If the Bills take Elias Ricks it’s going to cost me a fortune! He’s the son of my wife’s best friend. Those plane tickets from So Cal to WNY every other week are going to be brutal on the family budget. 😂

• Haha (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

Sleepers

LATE deep sleepers -

Hailassie was one on my long list too. Really like him. He is gonna start for someone in this league.

• Agree 1

On 4/5/2023 at 11:26 AM, GunnerBill said:

4th round grade

2nd round grade

5th round grade

5th round grade

4th round grade

6th/7th round grade

3rd round grade

Its refreshing to see someone post something that is well thought out. Scouting as much as I do *watching all kinds of video and reading many scout reports", I will copy the names and give you quick thought. 

4th round grade

I actually think as some other scouts do, feel he will slip to early round 5. The reason is, there is limited tape on this guy playing against elite players.  IF he fell to 5, I would take a chance on Jose. 

2nd round grade

I think Rush defiantly goes round 2. maybe even early. For a team that plays lots of zone and not man press, I think his potential is #1B CB or Strong #2 CB. He avoided the shuttle like the plague and I think that is the only reason he is slipping in round 2... and yes.. that is what makes him a sleeper. 

5th round grade

I did not see much on him so I will hold thoughts.

5th round grade

Did not scout but Denver may be in the market for a late round LB and this is a great write up on him 

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/draft/dorian-williams-tulane-jeremy-banks-tennessee-scouting-report

4th round grade

You are spot on right that he would fit in a dime system really well.

6th/7th round grade

Don't scoun late round RB's cause they all start to look the same

3rd round grade

I LOVE this pick. could be our future Center.

really good work sir!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Appreciate the words. I think you are right Ramirez probably goes later than round 4 but that is the grade I have on him. He is just so natural as a rusher. In terms of actual rush package his is as good as any edge rusher I have watched in this class save for Anderson. Of course you are right that you have to factor in the low level of competition and ask whether he might lack a bit of pure strength and power when NFL level OLmen get their hands on him, and he can't play the run to save his life, but the skillset that he does have is a valuable one - he rushes the passer and he does it well. 

14 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Its refreshing to see someone post something that is well thought out. Scouting as much as I do *watching all kinds of video and reading many scout reports", I will copy the names and give you quick thought. 

4th round grade

I actually think as some other scouts do, feel he will slip to early round 5. The reason is, there is limited tape on this guy playing against elite players.  IF he fell to 5, I would take a chance on Jose. 

really good work sir!

23 hours ago, Yantha said:

IOL juice scruggs

Sorry can’t elaborate at the moment…

I’ve got a few thought on Scruggs. 
He’s an above average athlete compared to other centers at the combine. 
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/juice-scruggs/32005343-5267-3400-4cb9-0ed0b61b2e6f

The analysts dinged his production , but I think unfairly. He suffered a serious back injury in an MVA which kept him out of football for 2 years. He’s now recovered and basically started every game the past two years, at guard then center. He hasn’t been surrounded by stellar talent at psu at IOL, nor at QB, which can make his performance seem worse than it is. 

Base in their performance at PSU, I thought he was better than McGovern, and almost as good as Bates. 

I think he will be a 5-7 rnd pick, but stick a long time in the nfl. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.