Per Daily News: Giants Eyeing Beasley as FA Target and May Trade for Gabe Davis

ChevyVanMiller

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

So he's nowhere near "not an excellent WR2"?

The standard for WR2 on elite teams is much different.

The second receiving option on the final 4 teams was Tee Higgins, Devonta Smith, Brandon Aiyuk and Juju Smith Shuster.    

And before anyone tries to claim Juju isn't a better receiver than Gabe......let me know when Gabe has his 1400+ yard receiving season and gets to 70% completion rate for his career.  

Gabe is a near ideal WR3..........a cheap big play threat.........like a slower Marquez Valdes Scantling..........but as a WR2 that will leave a contender wanting for a lot more. 

So he is every bit "the problem" that most people are making him out to be.   He's simply not good enough to be the second option on a team that expects to win a SB in the current NFL.

Thank you so much for this post! 

Not sure why others still think Davis can be that solid #2 WR? It baffles me how people don't trust their eyes. 

I suspect Davis will be gone next year. Some team will foolishly pay him more than he is worth. 

Also, I have to laugh at how people say Davis and Allen have great chemistry. Last year, Davis had 93 targets for 48 catches. That's terrible and near the bottom for WR2s. His only saving grace was catching 7 TDs. Probably more of Allen's doing then Davis. Caught by default sort of speak.

Year after year we hear how Davis works his butt off. Beane continues to sing his praise. You believe Beane or your eyes? You have a whole seasin of mediocrity to critique. 

I'm all for keeping Davis as a WR3 or 4. That's where he can produce effectively. You need a WR2 to be able to be 3 dimensional. Gabe can't great space quickly and his hips are too stiff. That's not going to change. He will likely never be a WR 2 for this reason. His skill set is limited. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Good take both of them I don’t care… Besides Ed Oliver Davis was a huge disappointment for me last year and I’m sure he was for everybody else to

14 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Thank you so much for this post! 

Not sure why others still think Davis can be that solid #2 WR? It baffles me how people don't trust their eyes. 

I suspect Davis will be gone next year. Some team will foolishly pay him more thab he is worth. 

Also, I have to laugh at how people say Davis and Allen have great chemistry. Last year, Davis had 93 targets for 48 catches. That's terrible and near the bottom for WR2s. His only saving Grace was catching 7 TDs. Probably more of Allen's doing then Davis. Caught by default sort of speak.

Year after year we hear how Davis works his butt off. Beane continues to sing his praise. You believe Beane or your eyes? You have a whole seasin of mediocrity to critique. 

I'm all for keeping Davis as a WR3 or 4. That's where he can produce effectively. You need a WR2 to be able to be 3 dimensional. Gabe can't great space quickly and his hips are too stiff. That's not going to change. He will likely never be a WR 2 for this reason. His skill set is limited. 

I agree with most of that...........but one thing we need to accept is that the free agent WR3 market is $10M+ aav now. 

The Chiefs gave that to Valdes-Scantling then drafted Sky Moore in round 2 and THEN at midseason traded for Kadarius Toney because they thought the drop-off from Kelce down to MVS as WR3 was too much.

The Bills gotta' raise their expectations wrt weapons.    They've really let their "fastball" go the past two offseasons.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I agree with most of that...........but one thing we need to accept is that the free agent WR3 market is $10M+ aav now. 

The Chiefs gave that to Valdes-Scantling then drafted Sky Moore in round 2 and THEN at midseason traded for Kadarius Toney because they thought the drop-off from Kelce down to MVS as WR3 was too much.

The Bills gotta' raise their expectations wrt weapons.    They've really let their "fastball" go the past two offseasons.

I agree. The Bills philosophy seems to be more about defense. Yeah they have josh but they bank on him being the entire offense. KCs philosophy is on offense and they are ok with a middle

of the pack defense. Until buffalos "process" changes we will always be looking at KC wishing to be more like them and that sucks because that means we'll always be behind. Bit of a hot take, I know, but I'm not far off lol. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Bills really need to upgrade the Oline and WR core. It will be crucial if they want to make a serious Super Bowl push. 

Let's not forget a healthy Bills offense scored a measley 10 points vs a mediocre Bengal defense. There are no real excuses for such a poor performance in such a big game on a national stage. It was frustrating to watch such ineptness, lack of weapons, no creativity, etc...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I can’t understand why it’s consistently common place for this board to refer to Davis is a WR3. WR3 is almost always referred to as the slot.

Gabe Davis isn’t a slot receiver and is never going to be a slot receiver. He is not a WR3. If he isn’t starting on the outside he is WR4 at best. 

People saying Davis is a “perfect or better fit WR3” don’t make any sense.

To the point of the thread. At some point we either need to start drafting a lot more players worth a second contract or signing our guys to second contracts. Not keeping/re-signing Davis will feel like I am bleeding out by 10000 paper cuts.

• Like (+1) 1

JMO but it pisses me off about all the Davis dissing. He's a very good receiver  who was hampered with nagging injury all last year. People seem to be so ignorant about this crap. Hodgins may be the next superstar for the Giants and could have helped us. Davis we need. Please stop with the f tardery. sheesh.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, nosejob said:

JMO but it pisses me off about all the Davis dissing. He's a very good receiver  who was hampered with nagging injury all last year. People seem to be so ignorant about this crap. Hodgins may be the next superstar for the Giants and could have helped us. Davis we need. Please stop with the f tardery. sheesh.

Davis was hurt earlier in the year. He was very healthy towards the end of the season and in the playoffs. 

Davis isn't a very good receiver. He is average to good. He had one if the best QBs in the league throwing to him. He caught 48 of the 93 passes his way. A terrible catch ratio, he lacks quick explosion and separation, and his route running is limited. All of that adds up to a middling WR who should never be a number two target on any team. He's a good 3rd and 4th option receiver. 

I believe many Bills fans have the image of the Gabe Davis in the Chiefs game. Obviously, he was fantastic in that game. However, that game was an anomaly not the norm. 

In short, the Bills must get a true #2 WR option. One who can run all routes and create separation. Zay Flowers is that guy for sure. The only big question is his size. 

4 hours ago, Bimmer323i said:

Good take both of them I don’t care… Besides Ed Oliver Davis was a huge disappointment for me last year and I’m sure he was for everybody else to

Both are gone anyway so why not try to grab a 3rd for each.  Better to get something than nothing. 

3 hours ago, Mango said:

I can’t understand why it’s consistently common place for this board to refer to Davis is a WR3. WR3 is almost always referred to as the slot.

Gabe Davis isn’t a slot receiver and is never going to be a slot receiver. He is not a WR3. If he isn’t starting on the outside he is WR4 at best. 

To the point of the thread. At some point we either need to start drafting a lot more players worth a second contract or signing our guys to second contracts. Not keeping/re-signing Davis will feel like I am bleeding out by 10000 paper cuts.

I think where the terminology gets confusing is that some say Gabe is a #3 as in, he should be seeing the third most targets from the receiver position. I think third in targets from the receiver position is a good spot for Gabe on this team. One he could flourish in. That doesn't mean he is the slot receiver though. He stays the outside receiver. The targets go in order to Diggs, slot (assume Shakir takes this role) and then Davis. In addition, in an ideal scenario, Knox would be 2nd or 3rd overall in targets on the team pushing Davis to 4th.

So, there you have it. Davis is still our "#2 receiver" as in second starting outside receiver but #3 or #4 by target volume. The Bills need to change the playbook as much as the personnel. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

They can take all of our players but they won't be the Bills without Josh Allen. Daniel Jones could never

Maybe you missed some things. Their first year coach won coty while our 6th year HC has never won that honor and is famous for defensive debacles like 13 seconds. They got just as far in the playoffs in that coaches 1st year with supposedly a lessor talented QB and overall roster.  They can run the ball while the Bills struggle to have a run game unless you include josh as our leading runner. A player they took from our PS, since our wr corp was so dynamic , became their best wr and signed a new contract while we held on to a wr for his special teams prowess yet he rarely played due to injury and probably has little future value to the BILLS.  While we barely beat a fins team playing a 3rd string qb in the playoffs on our home field, the Giants went into Minnesota and beat the Vikings , a team that managed to perform the greatest comeback in football to beat us on our home field.   Like the BILLS , the Giants got throttled in the next playoff game , but the BILLS were playing at home as favorites. You didn’t finish your other thought “Daniel jones could never “,,,,,could never what ?  Lead the league in red zone ints?  

Just being a little sarcastic , but I don’t get blind faith as so far this staff has drafted a true superstar qb, but what else have they done, while Daboll proved coaching matters in the NFL , and no matter how good your qb is, he cant win games without surrounding quality support.    McD has tremendously underperformed in the playoffs with a 4-5 record and has lost 2 consecutive years in the divisional round despite being 6 years into his “process”.  He has had multiple drafts and offseasons to improve things like the DL,OL. RUN GAME, WR CORP, , achieving a plateau it seems, while Daboll took Daniel Jones,an inferior roster, and made it much further than expected in his first year .

So, maybe they wont be “the BILLS WITHOUT JOSH ALLEN”, but maybe you don’t have to be to win in this league if you can adapt with coaching and actually use players creatively rather than finding ways to keep highly drafted rookies on the bench or losing players you drafted to other franchises who went on to prove them to be capable players. ( 0ne time ,the  o lineman to Cleveland was perhaps luck, having it happen again losing a wr when our wr corp was bringing back guys they had cut, is  either arrogance or stupidity regarding your ability to find roles for talent you have). Time to look in the mirror rather than belittle or minimize other franchises when our staff is living on past achievements and has blown opportunities in epic fashion. The well coached 49ers made it to the NFC championship behind mr irrelevant at QB, so the Bills staff is hardly some great role model.  

The Giants are just beginning their process , while we are now going to face losing integral parts we were told were here to grow, be resigned, and win a championship with. To top it off , the DC steps down without prior hint or much notice and it just gives the appearance of turbulence or chaos as other franchises with less tenured staffs are noticeably on the upswing ( eagles, jets, fins, 49ers,giants,Cincy, and lets not forget the champs ,KC, who never seem stagnant).  Just saying, be careful holding this staff /franchise as some best standard; while having overcome the ineptitude of the drought years, they have made their share of blunders and still haven’t delivered what they promised or were hired to do, actually win a SB!  Maybe they should try to get to one first and apply all that “ we’ll learn from this” knowledge!  At this rate, the Giants may get to one before the Bills!  

• Disagree 2

43 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

Maybe you missed some things. Their first year coach won coty while our 6th year HC has never won that honor and is famous for defensive debacles like 13 seconds. They got just as far in the playoffs in that coaches 1st year with supposedly a lessor talented QB and overall roster.  They can run the ball while the Bills struggle to have a run game unless you include josh as our leading runner. A player they took from our PS, since our wr corp was so dynamic , became their best wr and signed a new contract while we held on to a wr for his special teams prowess yet he rarely played due to injury and probably has little future value to the BILLS.  While we barely beat a fins team playing a 3rd string qb in the playoffs on our home field, the Giants went into Minnesota and beat the Vikings , a team that managed to perform the greatest comeback in football to beat us on our home field.   Like the BILLS , the Giants got throttled in the next playoff game , but the BILLS were playing at home as favorites. You didn’t finish your other thought “Daniel jones could never “,,,,,could never what ?  Lead the league in red zone ints?  

Just being a little sarcastic , but I don’t get blind faith as so far this staff has drafted a true superstar qb, but what else have they done, while Daboll proved coaching matters in the NFL , and no matter how good your qb is, he cant win games without surrounding quality support.    McD has tremendously underperformed in the playoffs with a 4-5 record and has lost 2 consecutive years in the divisional round despite being 6 years into his “process”.  He has had multiple drafts and offseasons to improve things like the DL,OL. RUN GAME, WR CORP, , achieving a plateau it seems, while Daboll took Daniel Jones,an inferior roster, and made it much further than expected in his first year .

So, maybe they wont be “the BILLS WITHOUT JOSH ALLEN”, but maybe you don’t have to be to win in this league if you can adapt with coaching and actually use players creatively rather than finding ways to keep highly drafted rookies on the bench or losing players you drafted to other franchises who went on to prove them to be capable players. ( 0ne time ,the  o lineman to Cleveland was perhaps luck, having it happen again losing a wr when our wr corp was bringing back guys they had cut, is  either arrogance or stupidity regarding your ability to find roles for talent you have). Time to look in the mirror rather than belittle or minimize other franchises when our staff is living on past achievements and has blown opportunities in epic fashion. The well coached 49ers made it to the NFC championship behind mr irrelevant at QB, so the Bills staff is hardly some great role model.  

The Giants are just beginning their process , while we are now going to face losing integral parts we were told were here to grow, be resigned, and win a championship with. To top it off , the DC steps down without prior hint or much notice and it just gives the appearance of turbulence or chaos as other franchises with less tenured staffs are noticeably on the upswing ( eagles, jets, fins, 49ers,giants,Cincy, and lets not forget the champs ,KC, who never seem stagnant).  Just saying, be careful holding this staff /franchise as some best standard; while having overcome the ineptitude of the drought years, they have made their share of blunders and still haven’t delivered what they promised or were hired to do, actually win a SB!  Maybe they should try to get to one first and apply all that “ we’ll learn from this” knowledge!  At this rate, the Giants may get to one before the Bills!  

You can't win it all in this league without a top 5 QB. Daniel Jones isn't even top 20. Giants will never be more than a wild card team with Daniel Jones.

Running in the NFL does not lead to success. The top RB's in the league (Henry and Jacobs) didn't even make the playoffs. Nobody ever says KC needs a RB. They have been consistently worse than the Bills at running the ball but still win. They got their RB in the 7th round and he's good enough. The need to have a good RB is a complete fallacy.

Edited by KDIGGZ

3 hours ago, DrPJax said:

This was just too long to read. Sorry. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Mango said:

People confuse Depth Chart/ Talent with positional/ formations all the time. But that doesn't mean that Davis is a WR2 in this league. I think that is what people are trying to say. If the bills line up 5 wide, you don't necessarily attribute the slot as the number 3 guy. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, nosejob said:

Were his hands injured?

23 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Well a Beane protege can still see the talent in players that the Bills seem to not see or at least have a different opinion of them being Hodgins & Bease .

Wouldn't that be a kick in the ass if Dabol & Sheon picked up these players in seeing their worth to helping their team only to win a SB before the Bills .

If by chance Dabol picks up Bease & he has even close to the receptions & yardage he has for them that he did with the Bills i will have a HUGE - I TOLD YOU SO !!! For all the Beasley haters here ... And it will probably be for a really good contract price too . Which will be  a double whammy !

Edited by T master

I agree Davis is an ideal WR4 based on his production and skill set.

KC playoff game-hype wasn’t going to miraculously transform him into WR2. Just as it didn’t miraculously transform Allen into MVP. Fans bought the hype and so now they’re either disappointed or trying to excuse his drops.

For what this Bills offense is trying to be, they absolutely need a WR2, they need Shakir or McKenzie to seize the slot, and they need to continue to rely on Davis in a proper (limited) big play role as WR4.

8 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I don’t think Davis is worth a 2nd round pick….At best, a 3rd imo…but you wont hear me complaining if a team gives us a 2nd rounder for him…

Id be shocked if we traded Gabe and didn’t get a 2nd back. 

Positional value comes into play, and the going rate for a low-tier WR2 seems to be a 2nd.  See Chase Claypool.  

Edited by SCBills

For Davis you could probably get a 3. The Giants have two of them and one is a late third. I think it is a reasonable ask. At the same time, if you are Bills you have to have a plan to replace him. At the end of the day he played the most snaps of any of our WR and was productive. He isn’t as good as we want him to be, and he likely is playing elsewhere next year. But, if you can’t find something better I think you need to hold on to him. 

3 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

For Davis you could probably get a 3. The Giants have two of them and one is a late third. I think it is a reasonable ask. At the same time, if you are Bills you have to have a plan to replace him. At the end of the day he played the most snaps of any of our WR and was productive. He isn’t as good as we want him to be, and he likely is playing elsewhere next year. But, if you can’t find something better I think you need to hold on to him. 

Giants 2 is, I think, pick 61.  I ask for that or no deal.  

He’s a big play WR who could be a huge bounce back candidate this year provided he’s not the 2nd best WR on our team.  

Oliver, I’m taking a 3 no problem.  Davis, I want a 2.. especially given the Giants 2 is late. 

If Claypool brings back a 2, Gabe also should. 

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Giants 2 is, I think, pick 61.  I ask for that or no deal.  

He’s a big play WR who could be a huge bounce back candidate this year provided he’s not the 2nd best WR on our team.  

Oliver, I’m taking a 3 no problem.  Davis, I want a 2.. especially given the Giants 2 is late. 

If Claypool brings back a 2, Gabe also should. 

Yeah.  The League values WR’s higher than any position other than QB now.  You can either pay huge bucks in the free agent market for a Christian Kirk or Jacobi meyers or trade a high pick for one.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Positional value comes into play, and the going rate for a low-tier WR2 seems to be a 2nd.  See Chase Claypool.  

That may have been the worst trade in years.  I can’t believe they got a 2nd for him.  Another case of the AFC getting richer while the NFC continues to get worse 

On 3/10/2023 at 9:12 AM, Steptide said:

Not ready to give up on Davis just yet. Needs another year imo

It’s not about giving up on him, it’s a no win situation for the Bills.  If Davis has another similar year, they are going to need to replace him anyway, it won’t be good enough.  But if Davis has a big year, we won’t be able to afford paying him and Diggs big money at WR that he would command in FA that would be at a min over $20M per year and could be quite a bit higher depending on just how big his season was.

Translation:  It is highly unlikely Davis remains a Buffalo Bill after next year.  So if we can get a 3rd or better, I would pull the trigger right now personally.  But I am not convinced a guy coming off a disappointing season with a terrible catch rate, and among the league leaders in drops is going to bring back even a 3rd rounder.  

• Agree 1

Why would we trade Davis ? Makes no sense. He’s currently our #2, more suited to #3. I don’t think his ankle was right all year coming out of breaks. He’s on his rookie deal.. no way I would trade him. Leaving the Bills with who ?? Love Shakir but who else. We need more not less WR’s. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

No one's giving us a 2nd for a WR with such a low catch rate. There is value to keep Gabe on this roster if you can convince him he's a WR3 but his ego and contract desire will probably end that idea.  If I can get a 3rd for him I do it.

11 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Davis was hurt earlier in the year. He was very healthy towards the end of the season and in the playoffs. 

Davis isn't a very good receiver. He is average to good. He had one if the best QBs in the league throwing to him. He caught 48 of the 93 passes his way. A terrible catch ratio, he lacks quick explosion and separation, and his route running is limited. All of that adds up to a middling WR who should never be a number two target on any team. He's a good 3rd and 4th option receiver. 

I believe many Bills fans have the image of the Gabe Davis in the Chiefs game. Obviously, he was fantastic in that game. However, that game was an anomaly not the norm. 

In short, the Bills must get a true #2 WR option. One who can run all routes and create separation. Zay Flowers is that guy for sure. The only big question is his size. 

I agree they need to get better, but younger and I think JSN is the ticket....but we gotta keep Gabe.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.