QB Derek Carr to Saints on a 4 year $150 mil deal w/ $70 mil fully guaranteed

Big Turk

6 minutes ago, colin said:

he also averaged those bad numbers w frazier while posting up big pass rush win rate numbers.

obv, w miller getting all kinds of sacks in teh same bills scheme (albeit not the whole season), it shows houghs could be better, but ya our coaches were simply not getting max production out of our players.

really hope mcd feels huge heat to show out on d as a coach next year.

This is why I am excited to see some new blood (or new old blood if it is McD) in how we call our defense and attack offenses.  McD already showed he could get more out of the same defense than Frazier when he previously had to strip Frazier of play calling duties in season and the defense immediately improved.  

I actually really like the idea of McD calling the plays as long as it doesn't create issues in his overall HC duties and management of games.  

3 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I can't wait to see the next contact for Burrow and Herbert. The Allen contract is looking better and better as these deals get done.

If the talk that Higgins is looking for WR1 money true the Bengals could be in cap trouble sooner than later. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I just read 100 mil guaranteed, with 60 being given to him at signing.  

This has to set the bar for any other QB contract, including Jones and Geno.  I would argue they both performed better with less surrounding talent than Carr.  

I'd be shocked if this meant anything for Geno. Carr is established middle of the road vet. Geno had one good season. I think best he can hope for is something like 60/2 with 35M guaranteed. My guess is that he doesn't even get that.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I can answer that:  No Frazier.  Since joining the Bills, Hughes has played 10 seasons, 4 before Frazier, then 5 with Frazier, then 1 this past year in Houston.  In the 5 seasons not with Frazier Hughes averaged 8 sacks a season (including 3 with 9 or more).  In 5 seasons with Frazier, he averaged 4 sacks a season, only getting over 5 once (7 in 2018).    

... yet he had seven sacks in seven postseason games under Frazier. 

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

They have also lost players along the way.  They already had to restructure Davis and Hill and are going to have to cut, extend, or restructure these contracts at least...as well, and that is just to get under the cap.  

DE Jordan $25.7M

CB Lattimore $22.4M

LG Peat $18.3M

RB Kamara $16M

QB Winston $15.6M

Then you still have Michael Thomas at $13.3M, and because of his cap hit is expected by everyone to be released post June 1st.  Teams can use the Post June 1st designation twice ahead of June 1st, so the expectation is that the team will either use it for Peat or Winston.  

They probably won't restructure Davis as it will result in a massive dead money cap hit shortly down the road, so their only option there is an extension.  Lattimore will most likely be restructured, and probably Kamara too.  Both will bring some issues later, but they don't really have a choice because those issues are a little further down the road than the dead money issue Jordan restructure would cause.  

So yeah, the Saints are going to find a way to get Carr, but it still hurts the team now and in the future and the Saints will not have the cap room to further improve the team around Carr.  

The Saints are not the team that I would want our GM to pattern his cap strategy after.  They were way over the cap before paying Carr, now they got do all this just to get under the cap, then do more still to sign Carr.  And their cap situation isn't getting better anytime soon either, they will not be able to build the team up around Carr and will likely remain a middling team, which IMO is about the worst situation to be in.  I would rather tear it down and rebuild than be stuck as a middling team, getting middle to lower round draft picks, and no cap space to build outside the draft either.  

Dont the Saints have to pay Michael Thomas $31 million if he is still on the roster by March 17th?

9 minutes ago, Kiva said:

This guy is not a franchise qb, he’s hardly serviceable. Why pay so much? Really stupid move for the saints. 

They refuse to blow it all up and evidently want to go for the Division Title in a very weak group.

They are all in with Derek Carr for the next 2 years.  After that Carr will be in charge of his future with the NTC.

15 minutes ago, Kiva said:

This guy is not a franchise qb, he’s hardly serviceable. Why pay so much? Really stupid move for the saints. 

He's reputed never once in his life to have uttered a profanity and he takes his teammates to task when they do. 
I wouldn't trust a guy like that,

32 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Dont the Saints have to pay Michael Thomas $31 million if he is still on the roster by March 17th?

Not sure, everything I saw was that he was going to be one of their two designated post June 1st cuts.  Maybe if they designate him for post June 1st it avoids what they owe him if he is on the roster still on March 17th.  Not sure how that affects it or not.  

7 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Pray Rodgers doesn't go to the Jets

I am starting to think that Lamar going to the Jets is more likely than Rodgers. Rodgers is not going to want the state of NY taking 10% of his $$$. I still see LV as the most likely destination. If the Ravens put the nonexclusive Tag on Lamar, I think the Jets will be all over that. They will gladly give up the 2 picks, along with the contract to get him. It would be the best skill group Lamar has had as well. 

11 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Looks like Rivers wants to come out of retirement.

Dov Kleiman on Twitter: "Retired NFL QB Philip Rivers has expressed desire to return to the NFL. He already contacted the #49ers and #Dolphins about coming out of retirement late in the 2022 season, according to @richeisen https://t.co/aEfLAF8iDl" / Twitter

So, Philip, is getting crushed by bruisers easier than being with your 9 kids?

• Haha (+1) 1

4 year, 150 million is a pretty fair price given where the next QB contracts are going to land.  Its about where he should be as a middle of the pack starting QB with playoff experience.  It seems like a lot if you think about 3 to 4 years ago, but not with the new higher cap and where guys like Burrow, Herbet, and Lamar are going to land moving forward.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Is he?  I'm honestly asking since I don't know that state of the raiders but if there's more to it I'm interested.

He's not great, but not as bad as some would say.  Playing for that dysfunctional organization has not helped him.

9 years, 6 Head Coaches and god only knows how many OCs.  They did him no favors.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Is he?  I'm honestly asking since I don't know that state of the raiders but if there's more to it I'm interested.

Been following this guy for a while since he’s a raider when the bills aren’t on our TV down here it’s usually the Raiders

He is so interception prone he makes mistakes at the worst possible times

Edited by John from Riverside
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Special K said:

The Saints are always in “cap hell”, yet they always seem to sign whoever they want.

And even with Brees/Peyton suck half of the time. 

The Saints are a good example on how if you think the cap doesn’t matter, you can sign a bunch of players, have a HoF coach and QB combo, and still be a .500 team about as often as you have a winning record. 

32 minutes ago, Mango said:

And even with Brees/Peyton suck half of the time. 

The Saints are a good example on how if you think the cap doesn’t matter, you can sign a bunch of players, have a HoF coach and QB combo, and still be a .500 team about as often as you have a winning record. 

Fair point on the Saints record, they have been pretty mediocre.....I'm not advocating that the Bills should spend like the Saints, but all the hand-wringing that goes on around here about wether or not the Bills can afford player X or player Y under the salary cap is a waste of time....if the team truly wants a player, they can find a way to fit that player under the cap.

18 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I don't think, that he is interested.

I do think that Rodgers has reached the point, where money is just a number.

I've reached that point in life, (while my pay grade is a few Stratosphere's below Rodgers) 

that I can live with what I have, which is pretty good!

Money is just a number.

Agree about the money part, but in Rogers case may just be he wants out of Green Bay.  He's under contract so the terms follow him and the boat load of money.  Unless he wants to tell the Jets or some other new team, no I refuse to be paid that much, I want much less!

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

“Good” qb. 

I have higher standards I suppose

So are you saying you think he's washed up, or much better than good?? 

Personally I think he may be much better than he looked last year as not sure his heart was in it anymore in Green Bay.  And not sure where ever he goes that his heart will stay in it longer than a couple of months.

Bleacher Report: "Saints passers combined to throw for 3,969 yards and 24 touchdowns against 14 interceptions while posting a 93.6 passer rating last season. Carr threw for 3,522 yards and 24 touchdowns against 14 interceptions with an 86.3 passer rating. It would be fair to say Dalton performed just as well as Carr in 2022—if not better—despite having worse skill-position options."

So, it seems NFL teams don't get it.  Throwing huge money at quarterbacks with names we know well will not automatically make the team any better.

Looking at that stat, would anyone be surprised if the Saints had the same record or worse next year?

I would think that with analytics so utilized in the NFL now, that some basic data analysis would be used before teams signed players to huge contracts.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I'm not sure, if he could actually do that.

I think he'll simply retire, if the desire is gone.

The red flag, for him, was last season..

I was kidding when I said that. 

The problem with him is I don't think he knows what he wants.  He may think a fresh start with a new team is what he needs, but can see in 2 months or so the desire may be gone again.  And then whatever team he signs with or traded to is on the hook for the remainder of his contract.

35 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So are you saying you think he's washed up, or much better than good?? 

Personally I think he may be much better than he looked last year as not sure his heart was in it anymore in Green Bay.  And not sure where ever he goes that his heart will stay in it longer than a couple of months.

I live in Vegas- watch every game- been to training camp…..  I’m just not impressed.  I don’t think he’s capable of winning a Super Bowl.  I think he’s good enough to stay qb of a team just hoping to make the playoffs. 

I just don’t hold him in very high regard.  I did when he was young as I thought he could improve.  I think he’s reached his peak and his peak is just above average.  

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I live in Vegas- watch every game- been to training camp…..  I’m just not impressed.  I don’t think he’s capable of winning a Super Bowl.  I think he’s good enough to stay qb of a team just hoping to make the playoffs. 

I just don’t hold him in very high regard.  I did when he was young as I thought he could improve.  I think he’s reached his peak and his peak is just above average.  

OK you're talking about Carr??

I was talking about Rogers in the context of he may be the next one now to go to the Jets.

4 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

OK you're talking about Carr??

I was talking about Rogers in the context of he may be the next one now to go to the Jets.

Yeah, ah ok. My bad.  I was saying that I’d rather the jets had signed carr. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.