QB Derek Carr to Saints on a 4 year $150 mil deal w/ $70 mil fully guaranteed

Big Turk

• Big Turk changed the title to QB Derek Carr to Saints on a 4 year deal
2 minutes ago, Special K said:

The Saints are always in “cap hell”, yet they always seem to sign whoever they want.

Well, they're welcome to Derek Carr and all of the underwhelming mediocrity that he's sure to bring...

If you don't have a Top 10 QB and you're not ready to win NOW, you as the GM are committing an ad of idiocy if you aren't just drafting a QB and/or playing the young QB that you have.  Signing a mid-level vet like Carr does nothing except kick the can down the road

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloBaumer said:

You should be ecstatic with Carr going to the Saints. Rodgers will be 50 million and draft picks which will screw the Jets. Rodgers has a couple years left, if that.

Have to figure GB's asking price went up bigtime now that Carr is off the market. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Special K said:

The Saints are always in “cap hell”, yet they always seem to sign whoever they want.

They have also lost players along the way.  They already had to restructure Davis and Hill and are going to have to cut, extend, or restructure these contracts at least...as well, and that is just to get under the cap.  

DE Jordan $25.7M

CB Lattimore $22.4M

LG Peat $18.3M

RB Kamara $16M

QB Winston $15.6M

Then you still have Michael Thomas at $13.3M, and because of his cap hit is expected by everyone to be released post June 1st.  Teams can use the Post June 1st designation twice ahead of June 1st, so the expectation is that the team will either use it for Peat or Winston.  

They probably won't restructure Davis as it will result in a massive dead money cap hit shortly down the road, so their only option there is an extension.  Lattimore will most likely be restructured, and probably Kamara too.  Both will bring some issues later, but they don't really have a choice because those issues are a little further down the road than the dead money issue Jordan restructure would cause.  

So yeah, the Saints are going to find a way to get Carr, but it still hurts the team now and in the future and the Saints will not have the cap room to further improve the team around Carr.  

The Saints are not the team that I would want our GM to pattern his cap strategy after.  They were way over the cap before paying Carr, now they got do all this just to get under the cap, then do more still to sign Carr.  And their cap situation isn't getting better anytime soon either, they will not be able to build the team up around Carr and will likely remain a middling team, which IMO is about the worst situation to be in.  I would rather tear it down and rebuild than be stuck as a middling team, getting middle to lower round draft picks, and no cap space to build outside the draft either.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Dam!!  Was hoping he’d sign with the jets and soak up all their salary 

That will be Rodgers instead now.  That also eliminated one more good QB in AFC and specifically AFC East.  Not sure how much Rodgers really has left and how long he'll stay interested either.

12 minutes ago, nucci said:

because there is no such thing. Same with the Bills

11 minutes ago, Special K said:

That’s my point!

So a team who had a bad cap situation the last 2 years but found a way to sign players just to win 9 and 7 games respectfully is an example that the cap doesn't matter?  The Saints won 7 games this year and entered the offseason $30M over the cap, and they didn't even have a highly paid QB on the roster.

Not the example I would follow as a GM

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So a team who had a bad cap situation the last 2 years but found a way to sign players just to win 9 and 7 games respectfully is an example that the cap doesn't matter?  The Saints won 7 games this year and entered the offseason $30M over the cap, and they didn't even have a highly paid QB on the roster.

My point was that teams find a way to sign anyone they want. Didn't say they're good signings

25 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The Saints had a great D last couple of years.  They got a lot of expensive UFAs they won't sign.

What people don't watch is the players they let walk every year, they only see the "signed" players.

Glad Carr went there and not to an AFC team.  I don't expect them to have a great team but in that weak division they will have a chance.

Agree, I would not use their model as a smart one.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

You should be ecstatic with Carr going to the Saints. Rodgers will be 50 million and draft picks which will screw the Jets. Rodgers has a couple years left, if that.

Carr is Andy Dalton minus the legs-  he’s like a scared little boy playing a man’s game.  I’d rather they pay a crappy QB 40M+ than an all time great.  

That said- I don’t think they’ll give up that much for AR if they do pull the trigger.  Imo, Carr gives them zero chance to win a SB while Rodgers puts them in the conversation.  

32 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

That will be Rodgers instead now.  That also eliminated one more good QB in AFC and specifically AFC East.  Not sure how much Rodgers really has left and how long he'll stay interested either.

“Good” qb. 

I have higher standards I suppose

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, nucci said:

My point was that teams find a way to sign anyone they want. Didn't say they're good signings

Exactly. Cap is “real” in the same way Santa is real.

kids/ casual fans think it’s real, you see him in movies and at the mall, but GM’s (parents) know the truth. 

Spend a little cash over the cap to buy nice presents for your kids in full, if it’s “too expensive” maybe you throw it on a credit card to pay it down (extensions). 

All while knowing 100% that your income (salary cap, tv deals) are all going up in the future. 

ALWAYS a way to make any deal they want happen. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.