2023 NFL Combine Results and News

KingBoots8

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

To my eye, Addison and JSN are MUCH better than Hyatt.  Both are technicians in route running and gaining separation.  Hyatt looks like a track star with a limited route tree and questionable hands. Hyatt seemed to be running wide open on 90% of his targets.

Flowers looks to be a comparable talent to addison and JSN-  maybe not as refined but a better athlete.  

johnston, addison, JSN and Flowers look to be the WRs worth a look in rd 1 of this draft.  

Hyatt might be drafted rd 1 but he doesn’t have the WR skills (other than speed) to warrant the selection imo.  Comparisons to I see a lot of comparisons to a healthy Will Fuller…..but I don’t see that. I thought Fuller had much better ball skills and was a better route runner.  

it looks like there will be a few decent WR options in rd 2-4.  I love Jayden Reed and he’d be an absolute steal in rd 3 (but likely won’t be there for us there).  Boutte, Tillman, Washington, Tyler, Rice, Palmer,  Mims, Hutchinson, wicks, Wilson, Jarrett, nacua, Mingo, Perry, Jones, Green.  

If the top 4 WRs are gone, I hope we can trade down.  If Hyatt is the pick, so be it, I just don’t know if he’s ever going to be more than an MVS type (minus the height and wingspan).    Don’t reach on WR.  There’s some decent mid rd value value imo.   I’d rather draft Wright/Mauch or another OL rather than reach on WR

I agree on not reaching for a WR/OL just for the sake of drafting offense first.  I don't see value on offense at 27 and that's why I think Campbell could easily be the pick, ideally after a trade down.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 2

Not being a huge college football fan, I leave the evaluations to those who are.

I do want the offense to be heavy in the draft.  That said, I would be willing to take a game changer replacement for Edmunds in the

1st round IF, at a minimum, the next 3 picks go to the offense.  Then with the 5th rounder it could go either way with offense or defense.

I believe a RG (who could sub in RT), WR, C, and TE are needed in the draft as of now.  For my money there are plenty of cheaper RBs in FA.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

I agree on not reaching for a WR/OL just for the sake of drafting offense first.  I don't see value on offense at 27 and that's why I think Campbell could easily be the pick, ideally after a trade down.

Agree, like I just posted.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

To my eye, Addison and JSN are MUCH better than Hyatt.  Both are technicians in route running and gaining separation.  Hyatt looks like a track star with a limited route tree and questionable hands. Hyatt seemed to be running wide open on 90% of his targets.

Flowers looks to be a comparable talent to addison and JSN-  maybe not as refined but a better athlete.  

johnston, addison, JSN and Flowers look to be the WRs worth a look in rd 1 of this draft.  

Hyatt might be drafted rd 1 but he doesn’t have the WR skills (other than speed) to warrant the selection imo.  Comparisons to I see a lot of comparisons to a healthy Will Fuller…..but I don’t see that. I thought Fuller had much better ball skills and was a better route runner.  

it looks like there will be a few decent WR options in rd 2-4.  I love Jayden Reed and he’d be an absolute steal in rd 3 (but likely won’t be there for us there).  Boutte, Tillman, Washington, Tyler, Rice, Palmer,  Mims, Hutchinson, wicks, Wilson, Jarrett, nacua, Mingo, Perry, Jones, Green.  

If the top 4 WRs are gone, I hope we can trade down.  If Hyatt is the pick, so be it, I just don’t know if he’s ever going to be more than an MVS type (minus the height and wingspan).    Don’t reach on WR.  There’s some decent mid rd value value imo.   I’d rather draft Wright/Mauch or another OL rather than reach on WR

Tillman is Greg Cosells guy so if the Bills took him I’d have no problem at all based on Greg’s track record alone. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Tillman is Greg Cosells guy so if the Bills took him I’d have no problem at all based on Greg’s track record alone. 

Same.  I love Tillman- but I don’t think he’s a good pick @ 27.  Maybe after a trade back as he might not be there for us in rd 2.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

No one talks about it. But no qb taken until #20 to Pitt last year. And that was it. In a modern day nfl first round draft. Unreal. No blue chippers fall to buf. Cursed franchise 

Edited by balln

34 minutes ago, H2o said:

Just saw Dion Dawkins on the field while they are doing the OL drills. He has a mic in his hand so he's giving commentary for something. 

I think NFL + is airing players combine with current NFL Pros offering combine commentary.  I believe Knox was on yesterday with TEs.  I don't get NFL + so I can't comment on how good the commentary is.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

To my eye, Addison and JSN are MUCH better than Hyatt.  Both are technicians in route running, gaining separation and securing passes.  Hyatt looks like a track star with a limited route tree and questionable hands. Hyatt seemed to be running wide open on 90% of his targets.

Hyatt might be drafted rd 1 but he doesn’t have the WR skills (other than speed) to warrant the selection imo.  I see a lot of comparisons to a healthy Will Fuller…..but I don’t see that. I thought Fuller had much better ball skills and was a better route runner.  

Hyatt has a 149.0 QB rating when targeted so in a QB's eyes he looks pretty damn good.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Figster said:

Hyatt has a 149.0 QB rating when targeted so in a QB's eyes he looks pretty damn good.

Not sure that has anything to do with him running routes and making contested catches.  

im not saying he’s bad-  I’m just saying that he looks like a moldable piece of clay that can be special.  I don’t think there’s anything special about his game right now other than his speed. 

• Like (+1) 2

Anyone catch Darnell Washigton's grab.  He didn't look as quick in and out of cuts as LaPorta but he looked good in the inline drills, hitting sled, and made catching look easy.  Yahoo says the Bills met with him.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/baseball-mlb/darnell-washington-makes-eye-popping-one-handed-catch-during-combine-drill/vi-AA18eit8

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Cosell really liked Terrell Bernard. We'll see if that works out. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

His athletic numbers were also nothing special for an athletic freak. I’ll continue to pound the table that a move to OT for Darnell Washington is in the teams and his own long term interest 

That's like saying he he didn't do anything more than someone who does really well.  As far as moving to OT I could see why he is huge.  

36 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Huge fan of his. Same

He looked pedestrian in shorts yesterday.  Not like that means much. I think his tape is nice for a possible day 3 guy but I wouldn’t take him before day 3.  

If a guy doesn’t have special speed, he better have very good hands and/or catch radius.  Physically he’s similar to shakir.  I thought he’d be faster and Shakir has a higher RAS score (8 compared to 7).  Both have short arms and small hands.  

6 hours ago, Doc said:

Campbell or other top D player.  In a draft that isn’t the greatest, it just doesn’t seem smart to exclude half the players from consideration because we want/need help on offense (I agree, too).  If there isn’t a good offensive player at anywhere on the OL or WR, then you should consider other positions, including defense.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, balln said:

No one talks about it. But no qb taken until #20 to Pitt last year. And that was it. In a modern day nfl first round draft. Unreal. No blue chippers fall to buf. Cursed franchise 

Yeah I wouldn’t say cursed. Maybe unlucky. The blue chip player who was supposed to go top ten and fell was Gerorge Karlaftis. I guess it was because short arms. We passed. We also passed on the generational center. 

This year we need all 4 of those QBs to go and for people to reach for need on corners. That could push a Brian Branch down. But I think the TEs and WRs all go and people reach for OL needs. That’s why I think a blue chip defensive player falls. You want blue chip? Chances are it’s either a defensive guy or Bijan Robinson. 

4 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

Anyone catch Darnell Washigton's grab.  He didn't look as quick in and out of cuts as LaPorta but he looked good in the inline drills, hitting sled, and made catching look easy.  Yahoo says the Bills met with him.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/baseball-mlb/darnell-washington-makes-eye-popping-one-handed-catch-during-combine-drill/vi-AA18eit8

I know a blocking te isn't sexy but I think Washington has the athletic freak profile the Bills like, can help the run game and pass game, and help protect Josh.  He won't be there when the Bills pick in the 2nd so I wouldnt be upset if he is the first pick.

Added bonus his blocking skills would free knox up to catch the ball and also help make the run game less peedictable.  His ability to pull would help runs to the outside where Cook can use his speed.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

31 minutes ago, section122 said:

I know a blocking te isn't sexy but I think Washington has the athletic freak profile the Bills like, can help the run game and pass game, and help protect Josh.  He won't be there when the Bills pick in the 2nd so I wouldnt be upset if he is the first pick.

Added bonus his blocking skills would free knox up to catch the ball and also help make the run game less peedictable.  His ability to pull would help runs to the outside where Cook can use his speed.

I totally agree. He helps with the protection issue and adds another weapon in the passing game. I think TE is a very real possibility at 27. Beane talked at length about TE in his pressers and said he wants playmakers and that doesn’t necessarily mean WR. 

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

I totally agree. He helps with the protection issue and adds another weapon in the passing game. I think TE is a very real possibility at 27. Beane talked at length about TE in his pressers and said he wants playmakers and that doesn’t necessarily mean WR. 

He's not anywhere near as athletic as people are portraying him to be at the TE position. I will be very surprised if Darnell Washington is a freak of nature TE in a couple of years. He will be a possession, good blocking TE in the NFL if that is worthy of a first round pick than so be it.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

Anyone catch Darnell Washington's grab.  He didn't look as quick in and out of cuts as LaPorta but he looked good in the inline drills, hitting sled, and made catching look easy.  Yahoo says the Bills met with him.

I like Washington...But if the Bills were to Draft him, I would hope they were not doing so based on his route crispness...That's not the kind of player he is going to be.

I don't think most Bills fans would be in favor of Washington, because if used properly, the Bills would probably run a little more...We already have a good NFL TE that's a 4.5 guy...Washington is a different kind of dude. And I'm not sure the Bills are the Offense to use him properly. But I'd like to see them try...I really would, because I think we could be a much more physical team on Offense with Washington mixed in. And he will catch some seam passes to put the fear of God in a DB or two...I'd like to have that guy in Buffalo when it starts getting cold. It's a zig when everyone else is zagging...B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

1 hour ago, whorlnut said:

You don’t draft a blocking TE at 27. Or even day 2. In fact stay away from TE in round 1 all together. When was the last first round TE that was really good for the team that drafted him?….Heath Miller?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LEBills said:

You don’t draft a blocking TE at 27. Or even day 2. In fact stay away from TE in round 1 all together. When was the last first round TE that was really good for the team that drafted him?….Heath Miller?

Idk man Meyers from ND could be a rich man's Heath Miller....imo.

24 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

I like Washington...But if the Bills were to Draft him, I would hope they were not doing so based on his route crispness...That's not the kind of player he is going to be.

I don't think most Bills fans would be in favor of Washington, because if used properly, the Bills would probably run a little more...We already have a good NFL TE that's a 4.5 guy...Washington is a different kind of dude. And I'm not sure the Bills are the Offense to use him properly. But I'd like to see them try...I really would, because I think we could be a much more physical team on Offense with Washington mixed in. And he will catch some seam passes to put the fear of God in a DB or two...I'd like to have that guy in Buffalo when it starts getting cold. It's a zig when everyone else is zagging...B-)

I agree he didn't seem like a turn on a dime route runner.  I also didn't see him going that early in the draft.  He wasn't even considered the best TE on his team.  Those things being said his size and straight line speed would be great for running a TE down the seam or just let him go out for 6 or 7 and post up he could fall forward for another 3 pretty easy.  A lot of the reason Gronk was hard to defend was his size not his route running.  Gronk just caught the ball over people.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, LEBills said:

I agree that blocking TEs are a no. To be fair there haven’t been many TEs to go in round 1. The ones who have haven’t been good you probably have to go back to Greg Olsen, Vernon Davis and Heath Miller as guys who fit your criteria and that’s 15 years ago. 

I think after testing the only guy who should be a first rounder is Dalton Kincaid and he didn’t work out at the combine. 

Luke Musgrave had a nice combine combine with production and pedigree could vault him up to the end of round 1. 

Mayer will be interesting now. His testing numbers were not great but his college production is obviously great. I think he slipped down the board some. 

TE Rankings for me: 

Kincaid

Musgrave

Laporta 

Kraft

Mayer

Washington

According to walterfootball here is who the Bills have met with at the combine:

Jordan Addison, Wide Receiver, USC 

Adetomiwa Adebawore, Defensive End, Northwestern 

Julius Brents, Cornerback, Kansas State 

Ji'Ayir Brown, Safety, Penn State

Josh Downs, Wide Receiver, North Carolina 

Zay Flowers, Wide Receiver, Boston College 

Michael Mayer, Tight End, Notre Dame 

Riley Moss, Cornerback, Iowa 

Jayden Reed, Wide Receiver, Michigan State 

Jammie Robinson, Cornerback, Florida State 

Luke Schoonmaker, Tight End, Michigan 

Trenton Simpson, Linebacker, Clemson 

Nolan Smith, Outside Linebacker, Georgia 

Tuli Tuipulotu, Defensive End, USC 

Darnell Washington, Tight End, Georgia 

Michael Wilson, Wide Receiver, Stanford 

Byron Young, Defensive End, Tennessee 

also according to others:

Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas

Tyjae Spears, RB, Tulane

O’Cyrus Torrence, OG, Florida

Bryan Bresee, DT, Clemson

Dee Winters, LB, TCU (senior bowl)

tight ends, edge, Dbs, and WRs, just two linebackers and one OL. 

I am sure I maybe missed one so feel

free to add. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

According to walterfootball here is who the Bills have met with at the combine:

Jordan Addison, Wide Receiver, USC 

Adetomiwa Adebawore, Defensive End, Northwestern 

Julius Brents, Cornerback, Kansas State 

Ji'Ayir Brown, Safety, Penn State

Josh Downs, Wide Receiver, North Carolina 

Zay Flowers, Wide Receiver, Boston College 

Michael Mayer, Tight End, Notre Dame 

Riley Moss, Cornerback, Iowa 

Jayden Reed, Wide Receiver, Michigan State 

Jammie Robinson, Cornerback, Florida State 

Luke Schoonmaker, Tight End, Michigan 

Trenton Simpson, Linebacker, Clemson 

Nolan Smith, Outside Linebacker, Georgia 

Tuli Tuipulotu, Defensive End, USC 

Darnell Washington, Tight End, Georgia 

Michael Wilson, Wide Receiver, Stanford 

Byron Young, Defensive End, Tennessee 

also according to others:

Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas

Tyjae Spears, RB, Tulane

O’Cyrus Torrence, OG, Florida

Bryan Bresee, DT, Clemson

Dee Winters, LB, TCU (senior bowl)

tight ends, edge, Dbs, and WRs, just two linebackers and one OL. 

I am sure I maybe missed one so feel

free to add. 

Looking at this aggregate list (thank you @MrEpsYtown for compiling) it's obviously GLARING, the paucity of publicized OL prospect meetings: 1 out of 21 to date?! That's almost suspicious imbalance. Right? RIGHT?!

giphy.gif

Edited by Richard Noggin
  • Haha (+1) 5

52 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

I agree he didn't seem like a turn on a dime route runner.  I also didn't see him going that early in the draft.  He wasn't even considered the best TE on his team.  Those things being said his size and straight line speed would be great for running a TE down the seam or just let him go out for 6 or 7 and post up he could fall forward for another 3 pretty easy.  A lot of the reason Gronk was hard to defend was his size not his route running.  Gronk just caught the ball over people.

Washington is not Gronk.    Not even close.   If Washington stays healthy he has a chance to be a Marcedes Lewis type.   Which was a lot more valuable back in 2006 when feature backs were still a thing and the game was more violent.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, 0017 said:

Bijan Robinson runs an unofficial 4.47 👀 not bad at all! I’m really hoping he’s there at 27. 

Yeah not a "great" time but expected.

The NFL made the track at Indy faster a couple years ago because everyone complained about it being slow for years and used that as an excuse for not running.

Nobody is saying that anymore.

A 4.47 this year is more like a 4.52-4.57 a few years ago.........which passes the eye test on Robinson for long time observers.  He has adequate speed but falls short of the "whole package" that he's sold as.   The tape shows that.  

It causes confusion though when they run the "simulcasts" showing a player running on the 2008 track alongside the guy on the 2023 track.    We can look forward to a couple more years of every record being broken and then they will have to lower the bar again.  

3 hours ago, LEBills said:

So I agree that you don’t draft a blocking tied into 27, but what if he is more than that? What if he’s just a freak athlete that can also block?

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah not a "great" time but expected.

The NFL made the track at Indy faster a couple years ago because everyone complained about it being slow for years and used that as an excuse for not running.

Nobody is saying that anymore.

A 4.47 this year is more like a 4.52-4.57 a few years ago.........which passes the eye test on Robinson for long time observers.  He has adequate speed but falls short of the "whole package" that he's sold as.   The tape shows that.  

It causes confusion though when they run the "simulcasts" showing a player running on the 2008 track alongside the guy on the 2023 track.    We can look forward to a couple more years of every record being broken and then they will have to lower the bar again.  

Does feel like the track has been a bit slower this year just looking at the times... or maybe this class is as unathletic as it is uninspiring? 

I agree re. the eye test on Robinson. I think the thing that is missing from the "whole package" is home run hitting ability. He can block, he can catch, he has excellent vision, he can run with power, and I think he has a decent level of first step explosion (his 10 yard split was a 1.58 which is not bad) but his long speed is only average. I don't see many long breakaway touchdown runs from him in the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Washington is not Gronk.    Not even close.   If Washington stays healthy he has a chance to be a Marcedes Lewis type.   Which was a lot more valuable back in 2006 when feature backs were still a thing and the game was more violent.

If we draft Washington and he puts up the same numbers as Lewis his first 5 years we drafted well.  Outside of his rookie year Lewis and Knox put up almost identical numbers.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.