Beane Doubles Down On His Belief In Davis

H2o

3 minutes ago, Vickveto said:

He has proven to be a better player than Hollywood brown or Chase Claypool before trade.

A late first or  early second compensation plus a young player feels right.

He is in the last year of his contract. Sportrac has him at a projected 12/mil per season. We cant afford that if we want our defense and o- line competitive. 

The problem is a rookie likely won't perform as well as Davis would, would a veteran? Maybe but it's a big risk to take. Honestly I wouldn't make one since Davis is our 2nd best WR on our current roster. 

There is zero chance we could get a first round pick or anything close. Obviously if we could we just spend about half a second thinking about it. 

Teams know Davis is a product of Allen. Whereas Claypool and Brown were stuck in terrible passing offenses and therefore more individual potential was there. 

Also the Bears are absolute morons. 

50 minutes ago, Vickveto said:

He has proven to be a better player than Hollywood brown or Chase Claypool before trade.

A late first or  early second compensation plus a young player feels right.

He is in the last year of his contract. Sportrac has him at a projected 12/mil per season. We cant afford that if we want our defense and o- line competitive. 

So,now you will need at least TWO new receivers for 2023 ? Ridiculous ,and,as always, you can't assume a team will fall for YOUR proposed deal.

The craziest part is that if Beane does that just 2 more times (interviews, press conferences, they all count) then he'll be 8 times as much in Davis's corner. That's when things get really crazy, because then we're a handful of media questions from him being 128 times more in Gabe's corner, and it just skyrockets from there. 

In no world do we get a 1st or 2nd round pick for Gabe. I think the organization will simply let him play out his final year and hope for a contract year uptick in performance.  I personally don't see him being more than a WR3 regardless of where he goes. Take away that 1 KC game and Gabe's journey with the Bills has been very inconsistent.  We can do better and it starts with this draft.

23 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Receiving including WR and TEs

Gabe was

- 33rd in the league in yards per game with 55.7 .. 4 yds less than DK Metcalf.

- 33rd in total receiving yards at 836 yds .. (he missed 2 games). If you add in the 11 yards on average he would have caught it would have put him right behind Jerry Juedy in 24th place.

- he tied for 15th in TDs with 7

The Bills had some of the worst weather games in the league. This is not taken into account when looking at stats but will always play a part in better numbers for other teams who have mainly good weather games.really bad weather all year.

His numbers scream a number 2 receiver. His drop numbers were horrible and he does need to learn a broader route tree, but he is 4th round receiver going into his 4th year.

If the Bills spent their first three draft picks on OL and no receivers I would be thrilled. Josh not getting killed will make our existing receivers better and we have a great one (Diggs), a very good one (Davis), and a promising youngster (Shakir)

Despite some bad weather games the Bills threw the ball a lot. One stat that tries to account for volume is Yards Per Route Run. Davis is 53rd among WRs at 1.43. By comparison Stefon Diggs is 5th at 2.49, McKenzie is 84th at 1.10.  Knox is 31st among TEs at 1.10 as well - which surprised me. Equally surprising - in the other direction - are Hines 4th among RBs at 1.77, Cook 15th at 1.43 and Singletary 41st (among 50 qualifying RBs) at 0.75.

I’d have more hope for Davis if I thought he had the physical ability to expand his route tree. I don’t think that’s in the cards though. I do think his ankle was an issue last season so he could be better in 2023. 

Edited to add: in 2021 before he was a starter Davis was 48th at 1.62. 

Edited by BarleyNY

But not his slot, #3 or #4 WR  

Bringing back Beasley and him basically starting at slot was an indication where we are at that position.  That will be the focus in FA and draft.  A guy like Zay Flowers, or Josh Downs would fit the bill.  If Beane were wise he'd add an outside WR as well.  Davis should be pushed, or at least backed-up with a solid 4th WR

14 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Despite some bad weather games the Bills threw the ball a lot. One stat that tries to account for volume is Yards Per Route Run. Davis is 53rd among WRs at 1.43. By comparison Stefon Diggs is 5th at 2.49, McKenzie is 84th at 1.10.  Knox is 31st among TEs at 1.10 as well - which surprised me. Equally surprising - in the other direction - are Hines 4th among RBs at 1.77, Cook 15th at 1.43 and Singletary 41st (among 50 qualifying RBs) at 0.75.

I’d have more hope for Davis if I thought he had the physical ability to expand his route tree. I don’t think that’s in the cards though. I do think his ankle was an issue last season so he could be better in 2023. 

Edited to add: in 2021 before he was a starter Davis was 48th at 1.62. 

48 th or 53rd .. with 32 NFL teams that would put him in the top grouping of 2nd receivers 

33 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

48 th or 53rd .. with 32 NFL teams that would put him in the top grouping of 2nd receivers 

Great job with the math. How many teams in the NFL do you think are happy with the production they got from their top two WRs? Maybe a third of the league and certainly not more than half. 

On 3/1/2023 at 4:44 AM, H2o said:

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/60126/gabe-davis

Hopefully this is just GM speak and he has his eyes on other options. We actually still need at least 2 more WR's regardless of what he thinks of Davis. 

I don't think it's GM-speak. In fact, he doesn't use much GM-speak, it's a great thing about him. If he can't talk about something he says so.

He likes Davis, expects improvement. It only makes sense. But yeah, more WRs also make sense, and he talked about getting dangerous skill position guys as well. Particularly at slot. McKenzie didn't have the year they hoped, Beasley didn't have the month they hoped, and Crowder isn't under contract. 

They only have two receivers under contract for 2024. Sure, they need to draft / bring in some more receivers.

On 3/1/2023 at 4:45 AM, GolfandBills said:

I wouldn’t think he’d come out and say Davis stinks he’s not a #2

Can we retire this dumb old trope. 

There are a million things a GM can say if he doesn't want to be positive that really are coach- and GM-speak and have no real meaning. "He always gives 110%." "I want him on my side in an alley fight." "He's a tough son of a gun, great attitude." A million of them.

No, he wouldn't be rude about the guy. But yes, he can, will, and has indicated dissatisfaction with guys on this team in public statements. Not rudely or personally, but yes, he has no problem politely saying they aren't happy with them.

Remember his comments about the TEs before the 2021 season?  "We just never really got that position," Beane said. "At the end of the year, I thought we did a little bit, Dawson started to get his groove. But it was never where the opposing defense was like, 'man, we've got to stop their tight ends from going off.' So we'll into look to that group."

He's got no problems with being politely harsh. So when he goes out of his way to be positive, the reason is real simple. It's because that's how he feels. Even if what you feel disagrees.

Edited by Thurman#1

5 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Great job with the math. How many teams in the NFL do you think are happy with the production they got from their top two WRs? Maybe a third of the league and certainly not more than half. 

Yeah .. rough math day .. in this case he is middle of he pack. I was thinking about these other stats when I was referring to the top of the 2nd tier of WRs

• - 33rd in the league in yards per game with 55.7 .. 4 yds less than DK Metcalf.
  • - 33rd in total receiving yards at 836 yds .. (he missed 2 games). If you add in the 11 yards on average he would have caught it would have put him right behind Jerry Juedy in 24th place.
  • - he tied for 15th in TDs with 7

As to the comment that 1/2 the teams would like an upgrade to their second receiver, that is true for second DE, interior lineman. The Bengals have two great WRs but they lack elsewhere. All teams want to upgrade wherever they can, the question is whether WR is as big of a hole as some other positions for the Bills - OLine to me is the bigger need.

2 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Yeah .. rough math day .. in this case he is middle of he pack. I was thinking about these other stats when I was referring to the top of the 2nd tier of WRs

• - 33rd in the league in yards per game with 55.7 .. 4 yds less than DK Metcalf.
  • - 33rd in total receiving yards at 836 yds .. (he missed 2 games). If you add in the 11 yards on average he would have caught it would have put him right behind Jerry Juedy in 24th place.

As to the comment that 1/2 the teams would like an upgrade to their second receiver, that is true for second DE, interior lineman. The Bengals have two great WRs but they lack elsewhere. All teams want to upgrade wherever they can, the question is whether WR is as big of a hole as some other positions for the Bills - OLine to me is the bigger need.

Gabe Davis' bulk stats say he's a WR2..........but for the team that eliminated the Bills last season he'd have been a clear WR4.    In 2021 Tyler Boyd didn't drop a pass in the regular season.    He had a higher yards per target and yet caught 20% more of passes thrown his way last season.    The gap between he and Gabe is WIDE.   As it is versus guys like Devonta Smith or Juju or Aiyuk as #2's on the other final 4 teams.    The question isn't how the Bills stack up at WR with non-contenders.   

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

WR is a top 5 position in the NFL and, like CB, the top three on a team matter a lot. Davis is a starter in the league, no question - but he’s not a difference maker. And the Bills need more difference makers than just Diggs at WR. 

On 3/3/2023 at 7:18 PM, machine gun kelly said:

I know brother.

Before Gil Brandt retired from NFLR he used to call this liars season.  I thought it was appropriate.  I believe nothing until after the draft and even then I believe 30% of what these guys say.

We love gabe davis like a brother - he is the future of the sport!

Then they turn around and trade him for a pick or something.  

On 3/3/2023 at 5:54 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Gabe Davis' bulk stats say he's a WR2..........but for the team that eliminated the Bills last season he'd have been a clear WR4.    In 2021 Tyler Boyd didn't drop a pass in the regular season.    He had a higher yards per target and yet caught 20% more of passes thrown his way last season.    The gap between he and Gabe is WIDE.   As it is versus guys like Devonta Smith or Juju or Aiyuk as #2's on the other final 4 teams.    The question isn't how the Bills stack up at WR with non-contenders.   

I cant look at his season state line. Going off against a bad pit team juiced tf out of his stats.

His contribution to the team in many games was invisible. Give me the same final stat numbers but consistency game in and out. And nobody's complaining. Catch the damn ball, don't go invisible 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.