Beane Doubles Down On His Belief In Davis

H2o

7 hours ago, H2o said:

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/60126/gabe-davis

Hopefully this is just GM speak and he has his eyes on other options. We actually still need at least 2 more WR's regardless of what he thinks of Davis. 

Not sure what Beane sees? Davis has a limited skill set. He is stiff at the hips and not fluid. Thus, he is not able to create separation quickly. This limits the routes he can run. 

A number two WR has to have a better skill set and run more diverse effective routes. 

Lastly, he absolutely blows at contested catches. He was target 93 times and caught 48 balls. That's just plain terrible. 

The Bills need a big upgrade at the WR pistion. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, H2o said:

Given up on him? No, I haven't given up on him per say. He still didn't take that step forward we were all hoping for after that big Playoff performance against KC. He still had an inexcusable number of drops in key situations. If we don't pick up any WR's in FA I would love to see us grab Zay Flowers, or Josh Downs, or Jalin Hyatt, or Jaxon Smith-Injigba in Rounds 1 or 2. Then, I would love to see us circle back and take Cedric Tillman or Xavier Hutchinson in Rounds 3 or 4. 

Davis showed us what he is last year. Frankly, he was disappointing and unreliable. His skill set is limited. He can still contribute as a number 3 or 4 WR. Imho, no way should he be the number 2 option for the Bills. 

12 minutes ago, Success said:

I have a secret:  I believe in Davis, too.

There.  It's out.

Hopefully not as the Bills number 2 WR. He was not good, reliable, or dependable. 

He has proven to be effective as a number 3 or 4 option. Hopefully, he falls back into that role. 

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, GolfandBills said:

I wouldn’t think he’d come out and say Davis stinks he’s not a #2

57 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I mean he is not going to publicly shame him...what else is he supposed to say?  He has however talked a lot about getting more playmakers and guys who are great at YAC, something Davis has not been good at

You can he has some work to do and its a competition. No handouts. Light a fire under the guy. 

35 minutes ago, T master said:

Given Davis past production I'm willing to see how he works through this but this year will be the year to make a decision weather he will or won't be that guy . And there may be a chance that Beane gets another good WR in the draft which wouldn't hurt any way you look at it .

I would think those here would be harder on Little Dirty than Davis he has gotten a extension because of the NE game they thought he could be that guy & has shown once again he's good for 1 good play a game but can't be consistently depended on like Beasley was to come up with the clutch catch when it was needed .

If they would cut him that would save some money & bring in a younger guy with more upside because i think like in the Moss situation we've seen Mckenzies ceiling sure he's fast but that doesn't make him the guy .

I am hopeful about Davis still. But if you look at the facts - 47 games and only 3 100 yard games. Only 14 of them above even 50. Has 5 rec or more in only 5 games. 
We see the big games he has and people think he has done more than he actually has. 

8 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Davis showed us what he is last year. Frankly, he was disappointing and unreliable. His skill set is limited. He can still contribute as a number 3 or 4 WR. Imho, no way should he be the number 2 option for the Bills. 

Hopefully not as the Bills number 2 WR. He was not good, reliable, or dependable. 

He has proven to be effective as a number 3 or 4 option. Hopefully, he falls back into that role. 

He is more Tyler Boyd than Tee Higgins. We need our version of that. 

• Like (+1) 2

“Gabe Davis is our No. 2 WR; in fact it’s really a 1a and 1b situation, so we feel really good about that. That being said, if something were to (cough) happen to Gabe (cough), we would certainly be open to pursuing other options that would give us the explosive plays we need (cough).”

It wouldn't surprise me if the Bills look into a trade for Brandin Cooks.  Beane mentioned a trade as an option at WR multiple times when fielding multiple questions around WR draft strategy.  To be fair, he also mentioned free agency too.  But I think someone like Cooks to put out there with Diggs and Davis is going to intrigue Beane, and the cost to facilitate that trade will be relatively cost friendly in terms of draft compensation.  I mean look at what Cooper went for last year.  They can make the numbers work as well on a deal like this.  

58 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It wouldn't surprise me if the Bills look into a trade for Brandin Cooks.  Beane mentioned a trade as an option at WR multiple times when fielding multiple questions around WR draft strategy.  To be fair, he also mentioned free agency too.  But I think someone like Cooks to put out there with Diggs and Davis is going to intrigue Beane, and the cost to facilitate that trade will be relatively cost friendly in terms of draft compensation.  I mean look at what Cooper went for last year.  They can make the numbers work as well on a deal like this.  

I'm not a Cooks fan but the theme of your post is correct.

Beane will almost certainly pick up a "value" free agent WR. 

3 hours ago, somnus00 said:

I really like Gabe. But he doesn't have the fluidity or agility to run all routes. That's not something that can be coached. As such, he's a very limited #2, but a great 3/4.

Absolutely 100% correct. Not sure why others refuse to see or admit it. It's the primary reason why Gabe doesn't get separation. Not to mention he sucks at catching contested passes. 

The Bills coaching staff has to be able to recognize this. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Cooks was on my mind here lately. He probably wouldn’t cost a lot in draft compensation and is a productive player.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Doc said:

He's under contract for one more year so no need to slag him.  But they'll absolutely look to draft his replacement.

Some silly team will often him too much money next year. 

When is the time to trade him and get some picks?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.