Beane Doubles Down On His Belief In Davis

H2o

5 hours ago, H2o said:

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/60126/gabe-davis

Hopefully this is just GM speak and he has his eyes on other options. We actually still need at least 2 more WR's regardless of what he thinks of Davis. 

Wouldn't be surprised if he is traded next week.

A public comment like this is meaningless.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I mean he is not going to publicly shame him...what else is he supposed to say?  He has however talked a lot about getting more playmakers and guys who are great at YAC, something Davis has not been good at

I swear he has been talking about playmakers like this for years and how difficult they are to fine.  This year, there's a strong chance there will be a guy that fits this description and it's Zay Flowers.  I hope we finally use the 1st round pick on a weapon for Allen and I hope it's Flowers.  Unless we are lucky enough to get Bijan Robinson, in which case I would be ecstatic.  We should all be.  Our offense would be on another level.  Imagine the Bills having Saquon.  That's basically what it is.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BobBelcher said:

I swear he has been talking about playmakers like this for years and how difficult they are to fine.  This year, there's a strong chance there will be a guy that fits this description and it's Zay Flowers.  I hope we finally use the 1st round pick on a weapon for Allen and I hope it's Flowers.  Unless we are lucky enough to get Bijan Robinson, in which case I would be ecstatic.  We should all be.  Our offense would be on another level.  Imagine the Bills having Saquon.  That's basically what it is.

Zay Flowers IS that dude. That's who I want as well. Imo, it would be like having two of Diggs for Allen to throw to. That's who the kid reminds me of. :thumbsup:

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, H2o said:

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/60126/gabe-davis

Hopefully this is just GM speak and he has his eyes on other options. We actually still need at least 2 more WR's regardless of what he thinks of Davis. 

the only other hope is he was playing through much more than we knew about as fans. 

he just was terrible with agility, body control etc… at times. If gutting out some injuries maybe he comes back stronger. Otherwise, sure would be nervous putting my eggs in his basket 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Al Davis? 

It’s the track suits that confuse people. 

I think…..

I trust Gabe more than most people, much like I felt about Knox. I look forward to him staying healthy and stepping up next season. Work hard and FOCUS. I feel pretty good about that, and I still want more serious talent at the position. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It wouldn't surprise me if the Bills look into a trade for Brandin Cooks.  Beane mentioned a trade as an option at WR multiple times when fielding multiple questions around WR draft strategy.  To be fair, he also mentioned free agency too.  But I think someone like Cooks to put out there with Diggs and Davis is going to intrigue Beane, and the cost to facilitate that trade will be relatively cost friendly in terms of draft compensation.  I mean look at what Cooper went for last year.  They can make the numbers work as well on a deal like this.  

Cooks was my #1 target at the trade deadline.  But cap/other reasons prohibited that..

For whatever reason, this team really struggles to integrate rookies (both sides of the ball).  If that's cosching/player development, or draft strategy (drafting upside/who need time), I'm not certain...

The better "value" is to draft a WR round 1, and get 4 cap friendly years of production....but this is where I'm starting to feel more and more pessimistic about Beane....we haven't exactly drafted well, and wasted alot of capital on the DL without much return

• Like (+1) 1

Could we as a group imagine what the league would be like if GMs & HCs said what they really think? It would be really entertaining, ie; so and so has not lived up to expectations, and is on thin ice with us, and he better get his head out of his azs real soon…, 😁👍

Obviously Beane can’t say what he really wants to in public.  Davis is a decent player with potential to be very good.  That said, they bet on him and lost last year.   They have to try for more, but if they can’t find it, you don’t want to say, “we have nothing but Diggs”.

2 hours ago, BobBelcher said:

Robinson will be long gone before pick 27. He's arguably the to 5 BPA on this draft. I know it's the RB position. O think he goes to Tampa or LA Chargers in the 1st round.

I too would be happy with him at 27. 

8 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Davis trained hard physically last year and he came in camp in great shape.

He needs to find someone to work with him in off season.

Does Jordan Palmer have a cousin?

I can’t believe how many people have him so much credit for doing his job.  An athlete added strength and size while not running 10 miles a day in interval sprints, imagine that.   He’s an NFL player, unfortunately, not a lot more. I said too many times last off-season, you can’t count on a guy who’s never done it before, but they ran with it.  It did not work.. oh well

Even if he likes him as #2, we still need another viable outside WR at least on the same level as Gabe Davis.

Last year (and common sense) proved that you can't have just 2 quality outside WR's, a bunch of slots (Crowder, McKenzie, Shakir, and later Beasley), and a Special Teamer (Kumerow).

Regardless of who is "#2" - we will most likely only have 3 true WR's under contract from last season. So he's going to have to add there.

My hope is Diggs, Davis, at least 1 more strong outside WR (via FA/Trade and/or the first couple rounds of the Draft), and Shakir in the slot (McKenzie released for cap space). Filled out by mid to late round picks and/or bargain FA's identified as fits or diamonds in the rough. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19

10 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Some silly team will often him too much money next year. 

When is the time to trade him and get some picks?

you have to wait against what he does for this team compared to what pixie would actually get I don’t think that he would Garner that much

It’s different than say Oliver who would get you a pickand free up 10+ million in salary cap. Space

Davis is on a cost control contract and got us 900 yards last year. I don’t think he’s going anywhere.

• Agree 2

12 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Is that really "doubling down?" Sounds more like the dreaded Vote of Confidence in a baseball manager.

Agreed. The good news is that he got a public vote of confidence! The bad news is that he needed to get a public vote of confidence. 

What really matters is what the Bills do. To date they are in a holding pattern. No replacement, no extension. I think we see at least one significant addition to the WR corps and the team goes into the season intending to let Davis play out his rookie deal. Anything that happens beyond that depends on Davis. 

What doesn't add up for me is when Beane insinuates that the expectations for Gabe Davis were out unrealistic after the KC game.

I don't know that we all thought he would be Calvin Johnson out there.. we just thought, given Beane didn't address outside WR, that they thought he was an top flight WR2 heading into the season. 

He is not.  He's got value.  He's a high end 3, low end/mid WR2, with a lot of big play ability... but top flight WR2, he is not.   

Don't tell us we were unrealistic, if this past year is what they thought he would be, we have much bigger issues at hand... 

Edited by SCBills
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.