Beane Doubles Down On His Belief In Davis

H2o

13 minutes ago, SCBills said:

What doesn't add up for me is when Beane insinuates that the expectations for Gabe Davis were out unrealistic after the KC game.

I don't know that we all thought he would be Calvin Johnson out there.. we just thought, given Beane didn't address outside WR, that they thought he was an top flight WR2 heading into the season. 

He is not.  He's got value.  He's a high end 3, low end/mid WR2, with a lot of big play ability... but top flight WR2, he is not.   

Don't tell us we were unrealistic, if this past year is what they thought he would be, we have much bigger issues at hand... 

Amen SC. 

I thought the same thing. 

He scolds the media and fans for having "unrealistic" expectations. 

YOU/FO/McDermott put him into the #2 WR role on a team that had Championship aspirations. 

The FO chose not to get involved in the Davante Adams trade, the AJ Brown trade, no way the Chiefs were going to trade Hill here, the Cooper trade, the Hopkins trade. 

No fan simply typed 205 yards and 4 TDs into the computer and expected 1900 yards, 18 TDs on 106 catches. But he had numerous games in the 3 catch, 35 yard range on a team that has been ready to win for 2 years now. Combined with the drops, and seemingly small route tree. 

Add in, that the FO added another old, past their prime WR in Crowder, and a 5th Rounder. Beane you were telling us you were all-set at WR, but by the 3/4 mark of the season it was the FO that calling John Brown and Cole Beasley off the street. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Amen SC. 

I thought the same thing. 

He scolds the media and fans for having "unrealistic" expectations. 

YOU/FO/McDermott put him into the #2 WR role on a team that had Championship aspirations. 

The FO chose not to get involved in the Davante Adams trade, the AJ Brown trade, no way the Chiefs were going to trade Hill here, the Cooper trade, the Hopkins trade. 

No fan simply typed 205 yards and 4 TDs into the computer and expected 1900 yards, 18 TDs on 106 catches. But he had numerous games in the 3 catch, 35 yard range on a team that has been ready to win for 2 years now. Combined with the drops, and seemingly small route tree. 

Add in, that the FO added another old, past their prime WR in Crowder, and a 5th Rounder. Beane you were telling us you were all-set at WR, but by the 3/4 mark of the season it was the FO that calling John Brown and Cole Beasley off the street. 

Also, I vividly remember fans.. nonstop.. questioning outside WR depth the entire off-season last year.  

Hardly anyone was thinking, ahhh we got Gabe opposite Diggs... we're fine.  

All camp/pre-season, we were fed the "pass catchers" line.

Now, again, Beane is talking about "play makers/RAC" when asked about WR....

My goodness, BRO, just get us another legit outside WR2.  Stop being cute about it.  We all know what the deal is. 

21 hours ago, H2o said:

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/60126/gabe-davis

Hopefully this is just GM speak and he has his eyes on other options. We actually still need at least 2 more WR's regardless of what he thinks of Davis. 

Diggs Davis Shakir Mckenzie.  Mckenzie is cheap - i'd carry him to camp.  I'd like to see a rookie and a vet.  

I'm not opposed to a WR in the first, i just don't know what's there and i don't know that there is value where we pick.  

WR free agents are super limited.  I'd take a flier on robert woods, i don't think he'll be super expensive and i think this offense might be a good place for him (doesn't need to take a huge snap load, can play some in the slot, etc).

21 hours ago, WhoTom said:

What is it they say about never believing anything a GM says leading up to the draft?

Beane is playing poker. He's not showing his cards.

Yes.  Expressing any disappointment in Davis tells the team drafting near your position to take the receiver you want before you get a chance.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

It's GM speak.  You show your hand and you end up trading up for Kair Elam instead of Trent McDuffie.

Speaking of that trade, a lot of fans here act as if KC clowned us on this situation... I'm not sure Elam doesn't end up the better player.  His physical ceiling is higher than McDuffie and he made plays whenever he was out there. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

They like Gabe because he has a strong work ethic. I suspect he'll be a Bill for years to come, but not as WR2. You don't disrespect your players publicly if they're doing their best -- even if they're not good enough to start.

4 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

It's GM speak. You show your hand and you end up trading up for Kair Elam instead of Trent McDuffie.

Buddy Nix used to say you should never believe any GM's before the draft. I wouldn't want Buddy back as GM, but he could do the press conferences. He had the gift of gab.

Receiving including WR and TEs

Gabe was

- 33rd in the league in yards per game with 55.7 .. 4 yds less than DK Metcalf.

- 33rd in total receiving yards at 836 yds .. (he missed 2 games). If you add in the 11 yards on average he would have caught it would have put him right behind Jerry Juedy in 24th place.

- he tied for 15th in TDs with 7

The Bills had some of the worst weather games in the league. This is not taken into account when looking at stats but will always play a part in better numbers for other teams who have mainly good weather games.really bad weather all year.

His numbers scream a number 2 receiver. His drop numbers were horrible and he does need to learn a broader route tree, but he is 4th round receiver going into his 4th year.

If the Bills spent their first three draft picks on OL and no receivers I would be thrilled. Josh not getting killed will make our existing receivers better and we have a great one (Diggs), a very good one (Davis), and a promising youngster (Shakir)

Edited by CorkScrewHill

8 hours ago, SCBills said:

What doesn't add up for me is when Beane insinuates that the expectations for Gabe Davis were out unrealistic after the KC game.

I don't know that we all thought he would be Calvin Johnson out there.. we just thought, given Beane didn't address outside WR, that they thought he was an top flight WR2 heading into the season. 

He is not.  He's got value.  He's a high end 3, low end/mid WR2, with a lot of big play ability... but top flight WR2, he is not.   

Don't tell us we were unrealistic, if this past year is what they thought he would be, we have much bigger issues at hand... 

Just create a situation to put some back into the number three Role where he belongs bring in a veteran that can play the boundary draft a guy in case you can’t retain him, but create competition behind diggs

To be a mid 4th round pick, who played 2 of his first 3 seasons with Diggs, Beasley, Knox, John Brown and Emanuel Sanders, that was a helluva pick by Beane. He’s put up pretty good numbers with only one ball to go around. This was his first season as a full time starter. I’m up for bringing in more talent/competition at wr, but I think he’s going to have a solid year at wr2.  

He has proven to be a better player than Hollywood brown or Chase Claypool before trade.

A late first or  early second compensation plus a young player feels right.

He is in the last year of his contract. Sportrac has him at a projected 12/mil per season. We cant afford that if we want our defense and o- line competitive. 

• Eyeroll 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 10

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.