Leslie Frazier "taking a year off from coaching" per Bills PR

Roundybout

1 minute ago, stevestojan said:

No one. Frazier was fired. The bills were kind enough to let him go out on his own weird terms. His contract was up today, and shockingly no one wanted him as a HC. The DC job is open. 

I think they were trying to be respectful enough to allow him to field offers from other teams, without the stain of being fired on his resume. That clearly didn’t happen. All the other teams already have a date to next season’s dance. So now they came up with another way to put a positive spin on it. The Bills are clearly trying very hard to be a classy, ‘we’re a family’, franchise. I certainly appreciate that noble sentiment, but I’m praying it’s not getting in the way of the ultimate goal. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, appoo said:

The defense performed poorly in 2 games across 3 years of playoffs where the Bills have played in 7 games 

Call me naive, but those two were so bad it deserves firing. 

This organization isn’t the 2000s Bills. We shouldn’t be happy with winning seasons.  They built a team on paper that should go 13-4 or 12-5.  The talent alone gets you that. It’s something we haven’t had in a while. What gets you to the next step (a Super Bowl) is all the other stuff, including coaching. Frazier might have been a victim of the teams success, but either way he failed at his job in the most important times. 

• Like (+1) 2

I’m about out on this but the last thing I’ll say is that if you watch non-Bills football, then getting torched by Mahomes twice and Burrow for a half isn’t exactly evidence of poor defensive scheme or playcalling.  

Context and relativity matter a great deal here. I mean did non of you watch the Super Bowl?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Billz4ever said:

IMO, this was this was a way to let his departure look less like he's being let go.  He's turning 64 in April.  My guess is he doesn't come back.

I feel like he’d be a good studio guy.  Calm demeanor, just bad at calling the right plays at the right time 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Hope he's healthy and it's just a break from the grind. If we promote someone on the staff then Bobby Babich makes a lot of sense. Eric Washington seems possible but I wouldn't be happy with it.

Babich, Washington, Butler, and Holcomb are all options. Washington is prob my last choice. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I’m about out on this but the last thing I’ll say is that if you watch non-Bills football, then getting torched by Mahomes twice and Burrow for a half isn’t exactly evidence of poor defensive scheme or playcalling.  

Context and relativity matter a great deal here. I mean did non of you watch the Super Bowl?

how about Miami’s 3rd string QB?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 4

Crazy.  I’m not a “fire Frazier” guy.  But taking a year off makes no sense unless it’s illness related (and I REALLY hope it’s not).

maybe McDermott will take the duties for a year.  That’s probably best case unless you can go grab some hotshot college DC who is willing to gamble on themselves and take over a top defense for a year.   Would be a bold move - but I can see someone (a Joe Brady type on defense - whoever that is) taking a gamble. 

I watched it. And the Bills weren’t in it. And part of that is because of Leslie. Watching other teams get burned by Mahomes won’t  ease the pain of watching Leslie line up his entire secondary 12 yards off the line on 3rd and short, in the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 7

He had his moments. He frustrated Lamar Jackson. The defense rose to the occasion at KC last season. It feasted on lesser opponents.

Unfortunately when I think of Frazier, and even McDermott, 13 seconds is at the forefront of my memories.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, nucci said:

image.thumb.png.eb0997129b4b2e2ef3a996ff24c3903e.png

The defense was excellent in the Ravens game. It was good in the Dolphins and Pats games. It was bad in the Bengals game, and horrific against two chiefs teams. The first chiefs loss had a lot to do with the DL issues that caused our defense to be gashed all year, they weren't a good unit that season. And a lot of players had deer in headlight moments that game. I don't really pin that one on coaching, that was a team learning what that big moment is like. 

But I'm happy to move on as well, I just think Bills fans take things far too extreme when they like or don't like something 

The histrionics on this board this offseason have been as unbearable as they are hyperbolic

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

I watched it. And the Bills weren’t in it. And part of that is because of Leslie. Watching other teams get burned by Mahomes won’t  ease the pain of watching Leslie line up his entire secondary 12 yards off the line on 3rd and short, in the playoffs. 

7 yards off the line of scrimmage, but who’s counting

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

There's been reports for a few years that this team is broken. They put on a good face to the public but there's been lots of smoke for a while. 

Where do I get the reports on what teams are broken? Who gets the inside track and decides they are broken? Give me a break.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.