Cardinals down to Bengals DC Anarumo or Eagles DC Gannon for HC?

BADOLBILZ

Gannon just laid an egg in the SB after his management hired Vic Fangio for two weeks to teach him how to coach against KC...........you gotta' go Anarumo,  Bidwell!  (get that guy the hell out of the AFC please)

https://arizonasports.com/story/3497155/reports-cardinals-focused-on-jonathan-gannon-lou-anarumo-for-head-coach/

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 3

25 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Gannon just laid an egg in the SB after his management hired Vic Fangio for two weeks to teach him how to coach against KC...........you gotta' go Anarumo,  Bidwell!  (get that guy the hell out of the AFC please)

https://arizonasports.com/story/3497155/reports-cardinals-focused-on-jonathan-gannon-lou-anarumo-for-head-coach/

Wouldn't the same "laid an egg" logic apply to Anarumo's defense for the Bengals loss in the AFCCG?

Not that I wouldn't be happy to see Anarumo move on

Edited by Beck Water

14 minutes ago, zow2 said:

What happened to Kafka, the offensive mind?  Last i heard Andy Reid gave him a glowing recommendation to Arizona ownership.

Dunno, says he's out of the running and the Cardinals have narrowed their search down to Gannon or Anarumo

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/mike-kafka-out-of-cardinals-hc-race/ar-AA17rxpL

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Wouldn't the same "laid an egg" logic apply to Anarumo's defense for the Bengals loss in the AFCCG?

I think the answer is obviously no.

The Bengals gave up just 23 points in the Chiefs own stadium.

The Eagles D got dominated.   

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

In Gannon’s defence Fangio mainly advised the Eagles offensive staff. Maybe he should have spent more time with his protege. Chiefs actually got much more valuable outside advice from Doug Pederson who told a Bieniemy that Eagles D always cheated and bit hard on motion. The result was the play design that resulted in two TDs and a winning field goal.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

In Gannon’s defence Fangio mainly advised the Eagles offensive staff. Maybe he should have spent more time with his protege. Chiefs actually got much more valuable outside advice from Doug Pederson who told a Bieniemy that Eagles D always cheated and bit hard on motion. The result was the play design that resulted in two TDs and a winning field goal.

Hey I'm tryna' sell a 56 year old DC as a first time HC here,  c'mon.

Also Bengals get no comp picks!

Win-win.

• Haha (+1) 2

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Shocking that not one team is interested in Frazier,  Frazier need to understand that weak conservative assistants almost never get considered for HC positions.   I also believe that Sean will end up getting fired if he continues to cover for him.  Firing your safety assistant coach is a sign of weakness not do what is best for the team

38 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Shocking that not one team is interested in Frazier,  Frazier need to understand that weak conservative assistants almost never get considered for HC positions.   I also believe that Sean will end up getting fired if he continues to cover for him.  Firing your safety assistant coach is a sign of weakness not do what is best for the team

I mean he has had interviews in 3 hiring cycles (including the last 2) in his 6 years in Buffalo. It is not like he has never garnered interest. His age and the fact he is a retread both go against him more than his defense. 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Eagles gave up essentially 24 points (defensive td plus the Toney punt return accounted for 14), 340 yards, and 21 first downs. The Bengals gave up 23 points, 357 yards, and 23 first downs. Both defenses lost the game on controversial albeit valid penalty calls (although the Eagles penalty was certainly more questionable given the way the game was being called). So … kind of a complete wash to me. 

9 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The Eagles gave up essentially 24 points (defensive td plus the Toney punt return accounted for 14), 340 yards, and 21 first downs. The Bengals gave up 23 points, 357 yards, and 23 first downs. Both defenses lost the game on controversial albeit valid penalty calls (although the Eagles penalty was certainly more questionable given the way the game was being called). So … kind of a complete wash to me. 

But still we want Cincy to lose a coordinator so stop with the facts 😛. Seriously though, Michael Bidwell always gives me the impression he could make hiring decisions based on rival fan forums!

• Haha (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

You have to factor in the time of possession though.

Eagles offence was ripping 8 minute drives basically all game.

Mahomes barely had a chance to see the field, so it was even more remarkable they got the yards/points that they did 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Frazier has literally been a head coach in the league so the premise that "conservative assistants almost never get considered for HC positions" is completely inaccurate.    

Frazier may not be the most dominant personality, but his defenses have averaged 9th in points allowed since he came to Buffalo.

Fans need to stop letting their emotions get in the way of reality.    Mcdermott and Frazier are both decent coaches, Mcdermott may be the best head coach the franchise has ever had.   Are they as good as Andy Reid, no they are not.   Their starting Quarterback is also not as good as Patrick Mahomes.  Should we release him as well?

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The whole Fangio hire was a great idea on paper.  Why not bring in another defensive mind for a few weeks - especially one with his experience/success.

Then you realize that he has never beaten Kansas City and more times that not, was schooled by both Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes.  It happened again in the SB.

Not a bad move by Philly…it probably didn’t hurt..:not sure how much it helped though

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

and the Bills gave up 20 in the Chief's own stadium.  By this reasoning, Frazier would be the top candidate.

Although, Anarumo would be a good hire from the perspective that he leaves the AFC after figuring out how to make the Bengals defense work.

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Come on now..........the Chiefs scored on every drive in the second half.

KC put up those numbers with just 24 mins of possession and on just 53 plays...........versus 32 and 66 in the Bengals game where the Bengals offense struggled.

No comparison between the two defensive performances.

The Eagles D put up virtually no resistance all day.........if not for an easy missed FG by Chiefs in first half the game probably ends with kneel downs.

5 minutes ago, zow2 said:

The writing was on the wall when they waited until after the SB.........Anarumo is aged out.......unless the Jets job comes open next season(NY guy) the Bills are likely stuck having to deal with him as a dedicated DC for a number of years.

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

And the idiots choose Gannon. Big shock

Either that or they couldn't make it happen with Anarumo not coming to an agreement or some reason.

But if situation in both were willing to sign and simply had a choice which one and going with Gannon,....then yeah, 

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The writing was on the wall when they waited until after the SB.........Anarumo is aged out.......unless the Jets job comes open next season(NY guy) the Bills are likely stuck having to deal with him as a dedicated DC for a number of years.

I hope your contention that Anarumo has aged out and will remain DC of the Bengals for years to come is incorrect.

Anarumo is a really great defensive play caller, I hate going against him, and I wish he would've moved to the NFC.

I have never spoken to Anarumo or Gannon about leading a football team, and I have no idea what their bona fides are in that department. I DO know that if I were choosing between the two based solely on their respective performances as defensive coordinators, I'd pick Anarumo in a landslide.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Logic said:

I hope your contention that Anarumo has aged out and will remain DC of the Bengals for years to come is incorrect.

Anarumo is a really great defensive play caller, I hate going against him, and I wish he would've moved to the NFC.

I have never spoken to Anarumo or Gannon about leading a football team, and I have no idea what their bona fides are in that department. I DO know that if I were choosing between the two based solely on their respective performances as defensive coordinators, I'd pick Anarumo in a landslide.

I agree. In the last 2 postseasons(7 games) his defense has given up only 18.8 ppg and never more than 24 points in the playoffs. Played at KC twice and at Buffalo once and gave up an average of 19 points in those games. The Cardinals made yet another head scratching decision. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.