This place has become poisonous

Dr. K

23 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

What's this a list of coaches with worst records than McDermott??  I assume that is what this list is as if you looked it up you'd find that every name on the list has a worse record than McD with the exception of Belichick and technically Reid.  But Reid has a winning percentage of .641, McD is .639 which is an overall difference of one win more liketime.  With the exception of Shanahan, they've all won one SB and some have better playoff records, but  if you take the one year away that they won the SB as they went at least 3-0, their overall playoff isn't any better either.

This is a pretty impressive list of names, but none of which have done any better than McD except Belichick overall except they won one SB each.  I do think winning the SB is a bit of luck involved, the biggest is avoid large number of injuries,  timing i.e. peaking at the right time, matchups, Bills likely would have had a better shot at beating KC than Bengals, and just a bit of luck overall.

As to the original point of this thread, I think one of the issues that magnifies everything is the internet.  Imagine what this board would have been like 30 years ago when the Bills lost 4 in a row if everyone had easy access to the internet and there were as many sites to go to for data and information as there is today.  People would have been rioting in the streets.

Don't forget too that the word fans is short for fanatics which is what we all are.  Anyone who posts on message boards 12 months of the year, 7 of which there aren't even any games going on is a fanatic.  So as fanatics were not the most rational thinkers as it's emotional.  We likely are more emotional than many of the players are as to them it's a job, many of which weren't even o nthe team last year and many won't be here again next season.    Most here rip the media that covers the team, they don't know anything, they're wrong, if they rip a Bills player they are scorned, etc.  But one thing they are for the most part is unbiased.  When you read many of their articles, they are much more rational takes on things overall than many posters here.

The original issue was Shaw doubting there are 5 coaches who have won as much as much as McDermott. All of the names in that list of active coaches have won the Super Bowl except one, which is better than McDermott and the reason we care about any of this. And the one coach who hasn’t, Kyle Shanahan, has also accomplished more than McDermott. And I’ll take him over McDermott any day. 

21 hours ago, Rigotz said:

It’s not a problem with this message board, it’s a problem with the fan base and it’s totally understandable.

After a very long history of failure (my entire adult life as I’m 37 years old), there is finally excitement and hope again.

Any time that hope is dashed, the feelings are amplified. People feel like THIS is our one and only chance… and perhaps rightfully so.

A little bit of understanding and grace will go a long way in just enjoying this historic moment we’re currently in.

The new fans are entitled #######s. The new fashion statement is a hot take and a quick chaser. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Casey D said:

It's comments like these that drive me crazy.  No one- I repeat no one-- is "satisfied Just making the playoffs." The implication of these posts is that I whine because I have higher standards and am more discerning than the rest of you.  Fact is, whiners gonna whine.

Yes, please look at other comments. There’s people perfectly content with just making the playoffs  

This is a community to exchange thoughts and ideas.

The problem with a LOT of members here is that they think this is supposed to be a Bills Booster Club, filled with mindless enthusiasm for anything and all things Bills related.

The moment others approach it as a forum for critical thought and discussion, the Booster Club type (i.e., kool aid drinkers) get upset. They spend most of their time attacking and commenting on other posters and Bills fans, not the actual team or sport of football.

Sounds like this is the camp the OP is in; toughen up.

If only the kool aid folks would go away into their own "it's all going to be perfect" bubble...and leave those of us who want to live in reality alone to actually discuss the team, there would be very little in-fighting here.

I have found the last couple of weeks to be a breath of fresh air, because so many Bills Booster/Kool Aid types are long gone.

Whatever happened to YoloinOhio?  Was his soul crushed?  As he posted here since the Bengals game?

What is he, a fair weather fan only?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

4 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The problem with a LOT of members here is that they think this is supposed to be a Bills Booster Club, filled with mindless enthusiasm for anything and all things Bills related.

The moment others approach it as a forum for critical thought and discussion, the Booster Club type (i.e., kool aid drinkers) get upset. They spend most of their time attacking and commenting on other posters and Bills fans, not the actual team or sport of football.

If only the kool aid folks would go away into their own "it's all going to be perfect" bubble...and leave those of us who want to live in reality alone to actually discuss the team, there would be very little in-fighting here.

I have found the last couple of weeks to be a breath of fresh air, because so many Bills Booster/Kool Aid types are long gone.

Whatever happened to YoloinOhio?  Was his soul crushed?  As he posted here since the Bengals game?

you really think your opinion of those you're calling out matters? if you do, you have a bigger head then first thought. get over yourself. 

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

So you are saying not participating in the endless whiny negativity is being in the Booster Club? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Some fans take a break after the season it’s really not that uncommon

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

What's this a list of coaches with worst records than McDermott??  I assume that is what this list is as if you looked it up you'd find that every name on the list has a worse record than McD with the exception of Belichick and technically Reid.  But Reid has a winning percentage of .641, McD is .639 which is an overall difference of one win more liketime.  With the exception of Shanahan, they've all won one SB and some have better playoff records, but  if you take the one year away that they won the SB as they went at least 3-0, their overall playoff isn't any better either.

This is a pretty impressive list of names, but none of which have done any better than McD except Belichick overall except they won one SB each.  

Well, Matt Lafleur is miles ahead, technically,  of every active coach if all you're going to consider is win %....

Reid has won 4 times as many games as McD--a difference of 185 games.  He has brought his teams to 10 conference championship games (1 more than BB)--including 4 in a row in Philly and now 5 in a row in KC.  McD had the Bills there once in 6 years...despite having Allen for the last 5 years.  McD and Reid are only similar in a singular way:  their mathematical win %.  They otherwise really can't be seriously compared at this point.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Yes, please look at other comments. There’s people perfectly content with just making the playoffs  

There is a difference between being content on just making the playoffs and not losing your ***** whenever you don’t the team is still within it’s championship window

Don’t think that your whiny little rants. In some kind of way make you a better fan.

22 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

From what I've seen over the last 3 weeks is there are a greater number of overgrown todders who don't have control over their emotions than rational people here. The constant whining, crying, blubbering, ranting & raving has been at a level like nothing I've seen on this board before. I've been comparing it to a small child screaming & crying because mommy didn't buy them ice cream.

And for what? Another McBeane have to go or else thread or there must be accountability thread? Like they get a say in the matter. It's all for nothing, but hey they get to ***** and moan about it. Hate to see how these people deal with real adversity and trying times in life. My parents would've knocked me into next week if I acted like they are as a child, let alone as an adult. 

Its a message board during a dead time in the season, what do you or the people complaining about people complaining and discussing how we wont win a Super Bowl with Beane & McDermott suppose to talk about on this platform? You dont think we were all hit as children? No one else wants to hear about it so we B word on this message board. 

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

There is a difference between being content on just making the playoffs and not losing your ***** whenever you don’t the team is still within it’s championship window

Don’t think that your whiny little rants. In some kind of way make you a better fan.

The window is closing and theres no reason to billieve Beane & McDermott have what it takes to win a championship. People act like Allen will be here for 20 years; we have five more if we are lucky. We will never be this close to a championship for another generation and people are heated. This is the approriate platform to release those emotions.

Edited by uticaclub

1 minute ago, uticaclub said:

Its a message board during a dead time in the season, what do you or the people complaining about people complaining and discussing how we wont win a Super Bowl with Beane & McDermott suppose to talk about on this platform? You dont think we were all hit as children? No one else wants to hear about it so we B word on this message board. 

The window is closing and theres no reason to billieve Beane & McDermott have what it takes to win a championship.

For you, there’s no reason to believe

20 hours ago, benderbender said:

Never really appreciated this forum as much as I do now. You don't have to worry about getting permabanned for having a legitimate take/gripe. Many threads are about actual Bills news that I usually see before an outlet like ESPN. The veterans on this board understand that our season only ended 3 weeks ago. The Super Bowl hasn't happened yet. Even that is going to be salt in the wound. We can't even really process the end of the season because it hasn't happened. It's like expecting for someone to be done grieving before a funeral. If you've already made peace with the season and how it ended, great. Have a cookie. If you haven't, also have a cookie. Cookies all around!

I think the problem that the OP is raising is that, while the bolded is true, it's right now swamped by many more repetitive threads about firing coaches and exaulting talented and competitive, but immature players or doing ridiculous things (like trading them for a $37M cap hit, falling to $26M or something like that next season).

Sure everyone has a right to their personal opinion.  It's whether and how often and how it's expressed, and whether it's actually backed by good information and rational observation, or only FACTS.

The thing is, this has usually been a good board for good football discussion, not just stupid "I had a neuron flash" knee-jerk reaction.  Maybe it will be again some time, but right now it's not, and it seems to me people have a right to have opinions on just as much on whether Sean is a horrible coach who will always lose the big game, or a good coach just not for this era.

I've been here since 2008, by the way.

I haven't made peace with how the season ended, but I don't see how endless "off with his head, he sucks!"  "Diggs is the only good player on the Bills, they should all have hissy fits and yell at the QB on the sideline and storm out of the locker room!" threads will help towards that end.  And reading all that won't help me.  Just my opinion, I'm told everyone has a right to them.

No thanks on the cookie, but nice of you to offer.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I think the problem that the OP is raising is that, while the bolded is true, it's right now swamped by many more repetitive threads about firing coaches and exaulting talented and competitive, but immature players or doing ridiculous things (like trading them for a $37M cap hit, falling to $26M or something like that next season).

Sure everyone has a right to their personal opinion.  It's whether and how often and how it's expressed, and whether it's actually backed by good information and rational observation, or only FACTS.

The thing is, this has usually been a good board for good football discussion, not just stupid "I had a neuron flash" knee-jerk reaction.  Maybe it will be again some time, but right now it's not, and it seems to me people have a right to have opinions on just as much on whether Sean is a horrible coach who will always lose the big game, or a good coach just not for this era.

I've been here since 2008, by the way.

I haven't made peace with how the season ended, but I don't see how endless "off with his head, he sucks!"  "Diggs is the only good player on the Bills, they should all have hissy fits and yell at the QB on the sideline and storm out of the locker room!" threads will help towards that end.  And reading all that won't help me.  Just my opinion, I'm told everyone has a right to them.

No thanks on the cookie, but nice of you to offer.

I’ll take the cookie

15 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

The window is closing and theres no reason to billieve Beane & McDermott have what it takes to win a championship. People act like Allen will be here for 20 years; we have five more if we are lucky. We will never be this close to a championship for another generation and people are heated. This is the approriate platform to release those emotions.

The thing is, there needs to be an awareness that the first 3 sentences are statements of emotion, not factual.

It may be true that Beane and McDermott don't have what it takes to get over the top.  Or it may be false.

Fact:

2016 after their 2nd consecutive Division round loss, Tony Dungy harshes at Andy Reid on National TV "the Chiefs may win a Superbowl, but it won't be with Andy Reid as their head coach.  In 2017, the Chiefs lost 2 more regular-season games and lost in the WC round.

4 years later, the Chiefs had been to 2 Superbowls, won 1, lost 1.

There's no reason to believe any coach has what it takes to win a championship, until they do.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

If no one else wants to hear your b!tching and even half the people on a Bills message board don't want to hear it, what should that be telling you? I have no problem with people coming on here to vent about a loss after a game and I get that when that last loss occurs in the playoffs that it will last longer, but we're at the 3 week mark and it just keeps rolling on and on and on. Repetitive threads saying the same thing, single posters just repeating the premise 100 times over and over again, multipled by how ever many of you there are.

I find it odd that many of these posters were the very same people saying the Bills players needed to get over what they saw on the field when Hamlin went down. We had to listen to that on a loop for a few weeks also. Yet these are the same fans can't put a playoff loss behind them 3 full weeks later? A life vs a game, big difference between the two.

Instead let's b!tch about A.) Something we have no control over and B.) Isn't going to happen for at least this year and probably the year after. With Kim Pegula and Damar Hamlin both having cardiac arrests and how Sean handled the situation in the weeks afterwards do you honestly believe Terry is firing Sean anytime soon? I don't see it happening for at least 2-3 years, Terry seems like a big softy to me. So in knowing that, I not going to spend my time b!tching about something that isn't going to happen. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well, Matt Lafleur is miles ahead, technically,  of every active coach if all you're going to consider is win %....

Reid has won 4 times as many games as McD--a difference of 185 games.  He has brought his teams to 10 conference championship games (1 more than BB)--including 4 in a row in Philly and now 5 in a row in KC.  McD had the Bills there once in 6 years...despite having Allen for the last 5 years.  McD and Reid are only similar in a singular way:  their mathematical win %.  They otherwise really can't be seriously compared at this point.  

And also lost 4 times as many too.  But that's what happens when you coached for 24 years and have the same winning percentage.  The numbers of wins and losses will be bigger. 

I'll grant you Reid has certainly done much more in 24 years, I also recall many people talking about how Reid can never win the big one.  Today now has a chance at #2.

My main point when looking at the names on that list other than Belichick and I'll throw in Reid too, the rest haven't won any better over their careers than McD has other than they have won one SB.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Well, I could be wrong, but I think the problem is the opposite to what you describe.  I don't think the OP is concerned about critical thought and discussion.

I think he's concerned about substituting knee-jerk reaction and "I had a thought" (that don't pass muster when critical thought, or even a single actual fact, are applied to them) for critical thought and discussion. 

When too much of that goes on (whether it's positive or negative) it changes the culture of a place, be it a workplace or a message board.

Again, I could be wrong, and that's not to say that a "My Team, Right or Wrong" "True fans don't Criticize" mindset doesn't exist here and isn't a problem when it does.

Edited by Beck Water

8 hours ago, dancing_joker said:

Andy Reid

Bill Belichick

John Harbaugh

Sean Payton

Kyle Shanahan 

Pete Carroll 

Sean McVay

Even Mike Tomlin could be on that list. He won a Super Bowl. 

Like I said, McDermott is a top-5 winning coach.   

Career winning percentage of active coaches, he's top 5.  

Over the past six years, the length of his head coaching career, he's top 5. 

LaFleur has been a head coach for four seasons.  McDermott has a better winning percentage over that period.

Sirianni has been a head coach for two seasons.  McDermott has a better winning percentage over that period.  

Belichick had only a slightly better winning percentage in his first six seasons in New England.   Look at Belichick's first six seasons as a head coach, including Cleveland, and McDermott is way ahead of him.  

I said winning, and he's top five. Definitely.  You'll say, yeah, but Super Bowls, but like I've been saying, if you tell me that my coach is going to be top 5 for the next 20 seasons, I am not replacing the guy.   If you're replacing him, I'm betting you sold all your Apple stock in 1993, too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

And also lost 4 times as many too.  But that's what happens when you coached for 24 years and have the same winning percentage.  The numbers of wins and losses will be bigger. 

I'll grant you Reid has certainly done much more in 24 years, I also recall many people talking about how Reid can never win the big one.  Today now has a chance at #2.

My main point when looking at the names on that list other than Belichick and I'll throw in Reid too, the rest haven't won any better over their careers than McD has other than they have won one SB.

You said the difference in the % was a game or two.  I used that to point out that McD's far lower total games played makes a Reid comparison pretty meaningless---especially when you take into account post season success, which is all that matters in this conversation.  McD's record is .444.   

Reid did struggle to win the big one.  But at least he gets his team there....over and over.  Compare his post  season success with Mahomes as starter to McD's with Allen over the same time period. 

• Like (+1) 1

Agreed.  At worst - this is the Super Bowl years all over again - A great team, that is extremely fun to watch, and gets close but never there.  Enjoy it.

We all want more.  But all we're doing is putting even more pressure on the team to overcome.  Stop.  This is our team - our city - and we need to rise to the occasion and support them with more than just fundraisers for their charities.  They need love, and to know WE have their back.  

Am I happy with the way the last 2 seasons ended - HELL NO.  Especially this year when we flopped like a dead fish.   Last year our season ended on full blast and we got beat by an amazing team, an amazing QB, 13 seconds and just one more possession.  While frustrating - at least it ended with us fighting to the last second.  This year we peaked in like week 3.  Then slowly declined until the playoffs were a mess.  There are 1,000 reasons which are well documented, but that's the reality.  

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, uticaclub said:

Please point out the posts that say this. Take your time, because I don’t recall seeing any

I’m not perfectly content making the playoffs. I want to win a Super Bowl as much as anybody. BUT, I’d rather win 14 games and not win the SB than win 7 and not be in the playoffs. That seems pretty simple to me.  I enjoy the season, one win at a time. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 2/11/2023 at 11:19 AM, Dr. K said:

I've been a member of this community since the very beginning, in 2001. 

Through the depths of the drought, I've never seen so much whining and anger and lashing out as what goes on daily on this board right now. Not everybody is guilty of this—there are a good number of eminently sane people who post here frequently—but the percentage of people acting like three-year-olds having temper tantrums is as high or higher than it has ever been.

I went away for the last weeks since the loss to the Bengals thinking that of course people are going to act out their disappointment; it's natural, I thought, let them get it out of their system. But it's as bad this morning as ever. I've tried blocking the worst offenders but the list would be too long to comprehend at this point. If the Bills were to take one fifth of the hysterical suggestions that are made every hour on this board, they would be out of the playoffs for the next twenty years. 

I realize this is likely my problem, not yours. So I'm giving it a pass at least until the draft, and maybe until training camp.

I hope some of you will get out of the house now and then and breathe some fresh air. 

I blocked a bunch of long-timers on this board who fit the description of what you are talking about and it helped.  

That said, this is a great place to "vent" as well as to celebrate.

There are differing opinions and I always welcome comment (just hold the rudeness).

14 minutes ago, Yantha said:

I blocked a bunch of long-timers on this board who fit the description of what you are talking about and it helped.  

You know, I haven't found it too bad around here.   I realize now, however, that I have maybe a half dozen posters on my ignore list, and over time that tends to turn down some of the more angry or antagonistic rhetoric.   Using the ignore list has some long-term effects on how you join this.   And, if you haven't tried it, understand that you can see that these people have posted, and you can click right there to see the post.   It works well.

I try not to ignore many people, because I find that they have good insights into the game.  We all do.  

• Agree 1

Through the depths of the drought, I've never seen so much whining and anger and lashing out as what goes on daily on this board right now. Not everybody is guilty of this—there are a good number of eminently sane people who post here frequently—but the percentage of people acting like three-year-olds having temper tantrums is as high or higher than it has ever been.

I went away for the last weeks since the loss to the Bengals thinking that of course people are going to act out their disappointment; it's natural, I thought, let them get it out of their system. But it's as bad this morning as ever. I've tried blocking the worst offenders but the list would be too long to comprehend at this point. If the Bills were to take one fifth of the hysterical suggestions that are made every hour on this board, they would be out of the playoffs for the next twenty years. 

I realize this is likely my problem, not yours. So I'm giving it a pass at least until the draft, and maybe until training camp.

I hope some of you will get out of the house now and then and breathe some fresh air. 

I think what you are seeing this time of year is 10% of the posters making 90% of the comments. That’s also how Twitter works. 

I would venture to guess that the vast majority of fans are happy with the team and season, and obviously wish some things could have gone differently. 

The negative nancies probably will mostly calm down once we get into the draft. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

HEAT MAPS

• Like (+1) 1

Have to admit, I feel worse now than I did directly after the Divisional round. The bubbling under of Josh and Diggs falling out with no attempt from those involved to quash it, Frasier seemingly being offered a new contract despite failing in the play offs time and again, Beane apparently prepared to run it back next year rather than making moves to improve matters... any hope I had after the Bengals play off game has been diluted.

A good draft and a couple of decent signings off free agency will change my mind. And it is a long time until September.

Become?  It's been poisonous for a while...every bad play is enough to send 25% of the board jumping off a cliff and then you have to deal with the "fake" Bills fans who are really trolls that root for other teams that have excessively negative takes on pretty much anything the Bills do and no matter how good they played, they only talk about the bad.

• Like (+1) 3

49 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Become?  It's been poisonous for a while...every bad play is enough to send 25% of the board jumping off a cliff and then you have to deal with the "fake" Bills fans who are really trolls that root for other teams that have excessively negative takes on pretty much anything the Bills do and no matter how good they played, they only talk about the bad.

That was the nice part about being mediocre; every win was a nice surprise and every loss wasn't.

The bar is going to be "Superbowl or bust" for some, and I can understand that with the recent success (some people don't know how to manage having a good team).  At the same time, people put too much of their lives into whether the bills win or lose every week.

I think you’re being too complacent if you think things should still be just trust the process. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I feel the same way, but leave Yolo alone! He’s a good dude. And he’s been around. 

19 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Yolo is probably 95% of the reason I started checking in here daily. Yolo was my twitter before I had a twitter 😂😂

Yolo is now catching up on the 9 months of work that he has been telling is boss has been delayed because of "unforeseen circumstances".  

• Haha (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I agree but I appreciate Yolo.

6 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Like I said, McDermott is a top-5 winning coach.   

Career winning percentage of active coaches, he's top 5.  

Over the past six years, the length of his head coaching career, he's top 5. 

LaFleur has been a head coach for four seasons.  McDermott has a better winning percentage over that period.

Sirianni has been a head coach for two seasons.  McDermott has a better winning percentage over that period.  

Belichick had only a slightly better winning percentage in his first six seasons in New England.   Look at Belichick's first six seasons as a head coach, including Cleveland, and McDermott is way ahead of him.  

I said winning, and he's top five. Definitely.  You'll say, yeah, but Super Bowls, but like I've been saying, if you tell me that my coach is going to be top 5 for the next 20 seasons, I am not replacing the guy.   If you're replacing him, I'm betting you sold all your Apple stock in 1993, too.

LaFleur and Sirianni were not in the list I provided. Belichick is #3 in all-time wins and Reid is #5, and you’re focusing on winning percentages? And no, I didn’t have any apple stock in 1993. I was in middle school. I’m old enough to remember OJ the killer not the football player you couldn’t help but drool all over. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.