Just had a earthquake in Buffalo (WNY)

Buffalo716

• Buffalo716 changed the title to Just had a earthquake in Buffalo (WNY)

Sounded like a plane was falling out of the sky. Never heard that noise before an earthquake. Like in movies when bombs or a plane is gonna crash. I thought a plane crashed into my house. I grabbed my med kit and shotgun and ran outside in my underwear. Was prepping myself for what horrors I was gonna see when I got outside.  Could hear my neighbors screaming. The people driving down hertel prob thought I was nuts. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Buffalo lies very close to the Clarendon-Linden Fault Line and we actually have quite a few earthquakes here, just normally under a 3.0 magnitude so they aren't really felt.

The last one I remember before this was maybe 35 years ago when I was growing up and it lasted for about a minute or so and shook the chandelier in the dining room.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Lol you call that an earthquake

That’s a morning wake up alarm for us

Ever hear noises like an airplane before one? I've been in a few quakes but never heard the sound I heard before the one this morning. Everyone on my block thought a plane crashed. You could hear an odd sound for a few seconds before the ground shook, it was pretty loud. 

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Lol you call that an earthquake

That’s a morning wake up alarm for us

Turkey just had a 7.8 magnitude one this morning and it collapsed buildings and killed at least 1300 people from the reports...

They have a lot of major ones there...remember my Mom telling me when she was there they had one and she thought she was going to die because the entire room shifted to one side of the house. My Dad grew up in Istanbul and told me some crazy stories too...

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Buffalo lies very close to the Clarendon-Linden Fault Line

17 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

You could hear an odd sound for a few seconds before the ground shook, it was pretty loud. 

Pegula fracking a new well to pay Edmunds next contract...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6

23 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Buffalo lies very close to the Clarendon-Linden Fault Line and we actually have quite a few earthquakes here, just normally under a 3.0 magnitude so they aren't really felt.

The last one I remember before this was maybe 35 years ago when I was growing up and it lasted for about a minute or so and shook the chandelier in the dining room.

I think that was the day the Challenger exploded. I do believe Buffalo had an earthquake that day. 

That’s very interesting.  I moved to California from Buffalo in 1980 when there was a lot of earthquake activity.  Some time later I saw that UB was awarded a grant for earthquake research over Cal-Berkley, which made no sense.  I did some research and found that there was a lot of earthquake activity in Western New York, but mostly ones and twos.

My sister, who still lives in Buffalo, frequently has said to me she’d rather deal with the snow than earthquakes.

I guess i get the last laugh for now.

7 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I think that was the day the Challenger exploded. I do believe Buffalo had an earthquake that day. 

I remember being in school in 1985 and we had an earthquake but can't remember if was same day as the Challenger or not but definitely remember being in school then too. 

47 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Turkey just had a 7.8 magnitude one this morning and it collapsed buildings and killed at least 1300 people from the reports...

They have a lot of major ones there...remember my Mom telling me when she was there they had one and she thought she was going to die because the entire room shifted to one side of the house. My Dad grew up in Istanbul and told me some crazy stories too...

Turkey is in a real bad spot - 3 tectonic plates meet around about 200-300 miles from Istanbul if I recall correctly.

10 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.e4d940b9149c3d7ea99947b01deb4cb9.jpeg
Felt here in Ridgeway, Ontario.  Very similar to when the nearby quarry blasts, but far too long, and way too early.  Blasting always done in the noon hour, it seems.

I lived maybe a quarter mile from a quarry on como park. They would blast everyday at noon. This was quicker, stronger and louder. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

The one in turkey was definitely serious. My prayers go out to the families that lost love ones there.

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Ever hear noises like an airplane before one? I've been in a few quakes but never heard the sound I heard before the one this morning. Everyone on my block thought a plane crashed. You could hear an odd sound for a few seconds before the ground shook, it was pretty loud. 

The only time that I start getting nervous during quakes is whenever I can feel the ground roll those freaked me out

1 hour ago, SMAKCruiser said:

Does anyone remember the mini earthquake we had when the Retsof salt mine collapsed?

I heard about it from my dad.  Foster backwards, the guys name.

1 hour ago, QB Bills said:

Pat Williams back in town?

Sam Adams just returned another pick 6

• Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Sounded like a plane was falling out of the sky. Never heard that noise before an earthquake. Like in movies when bombs or a plane is gonna crash. I thought a plane crashed into my house. I grabbed my med kit and shotgun and ran outside in my underwear. Was prepping myself for what horrors I was gonna see when I got outside.  Could hear my neighbors screaming. The people driving down hertel prob thought I was nuts. 

Were you going to shoot the survivors of the plane crash?

• Haha (+1) 9

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.