2023 NFL Opener

TFBillsfan

Knowing the Bills play at Philly and at KC next season could the Bills be a prime candidate again to kickoff the NFL season?

Feel like the odds are more favorable if Philly wins since it would be AFC vs NFC. If KC wins do they kickoff the season with a rematch against Philly at KC?

Thoughts?

The NFL generally doesn't like scheduling an inter-conference matchup to start the season unless it really has no better choice. And I think the nation is sick of us, judging by tweets and posts in other forums/articles. Half this forum is too, lol. And because the Hamlin thing, I guarantee you us at Cincy won't be primetime either. They will stick it at 1 PM.

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 2

7 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

A season of mostly Sunday 1:00 & 4:00 games be welcomed, by me.

I hope so as well.   Let the whole hype train just slow the heck down and let's get back to Sunday day ball.   the 13 seconds game put them on the networks radar and the Cinci game took them off, hopefully.  

• Like (+1) 1

Agree with all the posters that Bills will not be a TV favorite and thats a good thing for them to enter the season under the radar. Lets face it a bunch of teams are going to make a splash in free agency and have their draft look real shiny and impressive while the Bills won't be able to make any signifcant free agent moves and their draft, due to being at the back end of each round, will look underwhelming. Perfect set-up to help them be the underdog when they face any of the playoff teams during the regular season.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Cygnus99 said:

I have a feeling Cowboys and Bills on Turkey Day 

Nope.  Cowboys are always at home on Thanksgiving.

2 hours ago, Cygnus99 said:

I have a feeling Cowboys and Bills on Turkey Day 

Nope.  Cowboys are always at home on Thanksgiving.

Ditto the above.  The shine is off the Bills, particularly with how that last game looked on TV for the rest of the country. 

We should be grateful.  Minimal prime time, more 1 pm-ers.......no issue with that.  Bills are better chasing than being chased. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

I don't see it happening...Buffalo is going to lose a bit of it's National Luster next season and I'm more than ok with it.

I doubt it. The Bills bring viewers in huge numbers. Peyton Manning was on prime time all of the time even though he spent years being unable to get out of the wild card round (he, Brees, and Rodgers did not play in a single divisional round game before age 27, Josh has been there 3 times and is 26)

Edited by arcane

yeah we are all a bit burnt on recent high volume of prime time games, but one remains unplayed...besides the playoffs...the relatively new Thansgiving nite game reamins unconquered, I submit we can/should/would play that as a home game as we did Dallas and Detroit on the road consecutively..dont really care about the opponent but a divisional rival or maybe the Broncs or NYG...perhaps we play Jax in London ?

https://www.buffalobills.com/schedule/future-opponents

Unfortunately, the days of multiple prime-time games are gone. I loved the excitement, respect and attention around the night games after decades of neglect. We aren't going to be an “under the radar” team, everyone knows what we are about. A team can stop Allen or they can't, Allen plays perfectly or he doesn’t, that's how the Bills or lose and the nation is bored of it.

23 minutes ago, arcane said:

I doubt it. The Bills bring viewers in huge numbers. Peyton Manning was on prime time all of the time even though he spent years being unable to get out of the wild card round (he, Brees, and Rodgers did not play in a single divisional round game before age 27, Josh has been there 3 times and is 26)

Because they had the Bye

Edited by uticaclub

Agree that the odds are low the Bills kick off the NFL season again but the Bills schedule is just too juicy to not have numerous prime time games. 

Philly

Dallas

Cinncy

KC

These are at minimum 4:00 games but none will be 1:00 games. Most likely SNF or MNF. 

Add in our overseas game plus TNF and I would still wager the Bills will play in six prime time games. 

25 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Unfortunately, the days of multiple prime-time games are gone. I loved the excitement, respect and attention around the night games after decades of neglect. We aren't going to be an “under the radar” team, everyone knows what we are about. A team can stop Allen or they can't, Allen plays perfectly or he doesn’t, that's how the Bills or lose and the nation is bored of it.

Because they had the Bye

If the nation is bored of it, why do all the viewership numbers say the exact opposite?

And what are you talking about? The bye would have taken those players directly TO the divisional round. But none of those 3 ever PLAYED in a division round game until 27 years old. Which Josh has done 3x at age 26. Yet they were still always on national television. You people are delusional, the Bills will get plenty of prime time games 

Edited by arcane
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, arcane said:

If the nation is bored of it, why do all the viewership numbers say the exact opposite?

And what are you talking about? The bye would have taken those players directly TO the divisional round. But none of those 3 ever PLAYED in a division round game until 27 years old. Which Josh has done 3x at age 26. Yet they were still always on national television. You people are delusional, the Bills will get plenty of prime time games 

The 1999 Colts were  the 2 seed and played in the divisional round in Peytons 2nd year, so I didnt bother to fact-check the others. We are no longer the flavor of the month, for good or bad, I just feel like we hit our peak and sliding back into irrelevance 

Edited by uticaclub
  • Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, arcane said:

I'm with you.  There's no way the networks turn a blind eye to a 13-3 season (which was bested by only 2 teams, despite us playing 1 less game than the rest of the league) and the Bills traditionally high TV ratings just because of a single poor showing against the Bengals.  Trust me, the NFL could care less that Bills fans hate their defensive coordinator or think that if we only used Nyheim Hines more we'd be hoisting a decades worth of Lombardi Trophies.   While CBS and/or Fox will be licking their chops to televise Bills-Cowboy or Bill-Chiefs or Bills-Eagles or Bills-Bengals on Sunday at 4 o'clock, there's no way they're keeping all 4 of those games off Sunday or Monday night or even Thursday.  Like it or not, the Bills are one of the most entertaining teams in football with one of the most, if not THE most, passionate fan bases in the country, so they'll have plenty of opportunities in the spotlight.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, uticaclub said:

The 1999 Colts were  the 2 seed and played in the divisional round in Peytons 2nd year, so I didnt bother to fact-check the others. We are no longer the flavor of the month, for good or bad, I just feel like we hit our peak and sliding back into irrelevance 

I must have switched Peyton with a different elite qb in my head. 3 of the faces of the nfl in that era  did not play in the division round before age 27

Just because you have reached some mental state of frustration with your team does not mean that the nfl will decide to keep them off of networks when they tend to set new bars for viewership in various time slots every time they play lol. They might not get the full slate, but are you telling me that nfl fans would prefer a randomized matchup to bills vs bengals/chiefs/eagles/cowboys whenever those games fall? There are what, 50 prime time games every year? 

Edit: after looking into it, the stat is: Brees and Rodgers were 27 before seeing the divisional round and manning was 27 before ADVANCING in the playoffs for the first time. I conflated some things but the point remains, Josh is not some tired has-been in the eyes of the league or fans lol

Edited by arcane

2 hours ago, arcane said:

I mean they will still get some Primetime games but it won't be on the level it was last year and seeing as they were on opening night this season I just can't see them getting that slot again next year.

7 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

I don't see it happening...Buffalo is going to lose a bit of it's National Luster next season and I'm more than ok with it.

I hope they do to… but I think when you have Allen and this team won 14 games last year, there still going to be plenty of hype!!! Not like last year but still there… 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.