So who do we lose to free agency this year?

bills6969

6 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

On the roster:

Dawkins

Morse

Bates

Brown

Doyle

I’d bring back some of them - Quessenberry, Van Roten and Boetteger if their contracts are reasonable. 

Doyle is depth.  Bates and Brown are currently serviceable at best.  Morse could be done with another bad concussion.

If Beane doesn't address the OL as priority #1 then I don't know what they expect Josh Allen to do.

Bills lost today's game because Burrow had time to throw, and Josh didn't.  I will add their OC was much better than Dorsey.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Doyle is depth.  Bates and Brown are currently serviceable at best.  Morse could be done with another bad concussion.

If Beane doesn't address the OL as priority #1 then I don't know what they expect Josh Allen to do.

Bills lost today's game because Burrow had time to throw, and Josh didn't.  I will add their OC was much better than Dorsey.

I agree that OL play was a factor, but certainly not the only thing that caused the loss. We were out-coached and out-played on both sides of the ball - QB included.

I like continuity with the depth if they’re cheap. Morse’s successor should’ve been drafted already IMO so I really hope it happens this year. I would be happy to see an OG and a RT too. I think starters at LG and RT need to be upgraded and that eventual starting C needs added. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, ClemsonBills said:

Edmunds. The Bengals picked on him today. They required him to make quick decisions and guess wrong on about all of them. 

The DaQuan  Jones absence  was determinant, with him Edmunds and Milano are better players.

Oliver must go, you must find  some rotational guy elsewhere and cheaper 

3 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Oliver is drawing triple teams by the looks of it. 

He got plenty of double teams. Honestly, I didn't like the pick when they got him so he's always had more of an uphill climb towards impressing me personally.

Objectively though, I don't think anyone can sincerely say he's been consistent enough to earn a big contract. 

I'd prioritise keeping the two LBs together and getting younger stars at safety, which may require another big FA find to pair with Hyde.

3 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

He got plenty of double teams. Honestly, I didn't like the pick when they got him so he's always had more of an uphill climb towards impressing me personally.

Objectively though, I don't think anyone can sincerely say he's been consistent enough to earn a big contract. 

I'd prioritise keeping the two LBs together and getting younger stars at safety, which may require another big FA find to pair with Hyde.

He is very tradeable imo this year.  Get something for him if you know he isn't worth the big contract later.  Edmunds is the only extension I can see worthy of one

Edited by Gunsgoodtime

3 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I agree that OL play was a factor, but certainly not the only thing that caused the loss. We were out-coached and out-played on both sides of the ball - QB included.

I like continuity with the depth of they’re cheap. Morse’s successor should’ve been drafted already IMO so I really hope it happens this year. I would be happy to see an OG and a RT too. I think starters at LG and RT need to be upgraded and that eventual starting C needs added. 

I agree.  I got beat up about Dorsey last week, so I went along with the crowd.  Frazier is stuck in his plan that may have worked with

all his stars on the field but lacked when the "next man up" became a reality.

My opinion (which doesn't mean squat but to me) is both sides game plans are too rigid and do not adjust enough for the opposition.

Nothing can sway my opinion that the best way to right this ship is to give Josh Allen more time in the pocket and a game plan

that puts the opposing defenses on their heels.

Just now, KDIGGZ said:

Surprise cut, Tre White. He's just hugging guys at this point. He gets paid WAY too much for this kind of play

ACLs do take a while to come back from, but my arms are firmly folded right now. If he still doesn't look right early next season, trade him before the deadline. 

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

I agree.  I got beat up about Dorsey last week, so I went along with the crowd.  Frazier is stuck in his plan that may have worked with

all his stars on the field but lacked when the "next man up" became a reality.

My opinion (which doesn't mean squat but to me) is both sides game plans are too rigid and do not adjust enough for the opposition.

Nothing can sway my opinion that the best way to right this ship is to give Josh Allen more time in the pocket and a game plan

that puts the opposing defenses on their heels.

42 passes (plus a sack) by Allen, 8 rushes by Allen, 6 rushes by Motor and 5 rushes by Cook. That’s ridiculous. Way too many deep shots today (just like last week) and not enough taking what the defenses are giving us. And not nearly enough rushing. 

As for the defense, McDermott bears the blame as much as Frazier. He might not be calling the plays, but it’s his baby and his fingerprints are all over the personnel and scheme. The Bills went with a defensive HC, which means we have to deal with our successful OCs turning over. The trade off has to be a stellar defense. You can’t have the failures we’ve seen in the postseason. 

6 minutes ago, BBills_88 said:

The coaches saw they did not have a good enough pass rush since MILLER went down.  They had enough time to acquire a vet DL that could help.

Eric Washington & Frazier needs to go.

Dorsey needs to go, he is overly aggressive with the passing game.  

The answer to your stud DE snapping an ACL can’t be to repeatedly blitz Edmunds over and over again despite his utter ineffectiveness at it. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

42 passes (plus a sack) by Allen, 8 rushes by Allen, 6 rushes by Motor and 5 rushes by Cook. That’s ridiculous. Way too many deep shots today (just like last week) and not enough taking what the defenses are giving us. And not nearly enough rushing. 

As for the defense, McDermott bears the blame as much as Frazier. He might not be calling the plays, but it’s his baby and his fingerprints are all over the personnel and scheme. The Bills went with a defensive HC, which means we have to deal with our successful OCs turning over. The trade off has to be a stellar defense. You can’t have the failures we’ve seen in the postseason. 

The answer to your stud DE snapping an ACL can’t be to repeatedly blitz Edmunds over and over again despite his utter ineffectiveness at it. 

It's about the coaching staff not adjusting and just depending on 1 guy.

Just now, BBills_88 said:

It's about the coaching staff not adjusting and just depending on 1 guy.

Not adjusting? What was their game plan? Either it was to pass 80% of the time or they planned a more balanced attack and abandoned that. And what was with the repeated downfield passes like last week? I sure hope that wasn’t the game plan. Either Dorsey is game planning way too much of that or he isn’t reigning in Josh when he gets in that mode. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm going to miss Poyer, but it's the right move to let him go. He was a huge part of this lurch from irrelevance to the kind of pain we get to feel today (and I mean that in a good way). It will be emotional for me when he leaves. But this team needs to take a step in a different direction.

• Agree 1

Just watched the post-game locker room interview with Edmunds.  While I have to admit that I have no idea whether he is a quality player (opinions are all over the place), I was very impressed with how much he cares about the team, the organization and the city.  Puts himself and individual goals second, which is a bit of rarity these days.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Who?

Ed Oliver undersized DT who had one pressure in a playoff game against backup o-line.

bills picked up his option, I would have no plans on resigning him after this upcoming season so I would cut my losses and get whatever I could. Use the money that he was owed toward the OL.

• Agree 1

Not paying any of our free agents big money. 

1 hour ago, arcane said:

I'm going to miss Poyer, but it's the right move to let him go. He was a huge part of this lurch from irrelevance to the kind of pain we get to feel today (and I mean that in a good way). It will be emotional for me when he leaves. But this team needs to take a step in a different direction.

He’s been a big part of turning this team around but it’s time.  He looks slow out there injured or not.  

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

The salary cap isn't real and they could easily free up space with some restructures

They can free up space by restructuring Allen.  Not a whole lot of other players look like they would make much sense and also free up a lot of space.  They could free up space by restructuring Tre White if you've seen enough of him off of his ACL that you're willing to make him uncuttable/untradable until his contract runs out in three years at an annual salary of $17mil.  Same with Von Miller coming off of his ACL if you're willing to guarantee him $20-$30mil per year until he's just about 40.    

But I'd prefer the Bills lose a player or two now than risk screwing up their salary cap that badly for the next 3-5 years.  I really wanted to see Poyer retire a Bill, but after today I think I'd let Poyer go and try to trade Oliver.  Make next year a partial rebuilding year on defense & fix the cap.  IMO that would set us up better for the long run.  

7 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

Not paying any of our free agents big money. 

He’s been a big part of turning this team around but it’s time.  He looks slow out there injured or not.  

Maybe because he is playing with an injured knee?

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Miller and Jones being out today hurt but that wasn't going to make that big of a difference today.

Disagree. It hurt real bad. We lost 60 pounds of muscle in the middle and I saw Basham inside on way too many occasions.  Without Von we went from #4 in pressure to #27. This game was where we needed both these guys and Hyde.  All 3 play, we win.

I think Tre retires. 

Just what my gut says. He talked a lot about being more than just football during his ACL. Then seemed extra shook by Hamlin’s resuscitation even amongst his peers. Now a concussion to take him out to the season?

I won’t blame the guy. He is my favorite Bill. But I think we could have a hole at CB1.

3 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Burrow had time due to scheme. Just like Brady did. Josh spent an hour looking for the home run. That needs to change. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, iccrewman112 said:

Ed Oliver undersized DT who had one pressure in a playoff game against backup o-line.

bills picked up his option, I would have no plans on resigning him after this upcoming season so I would cut my losses and get whatever I could. Use the money that he was owed toward the OL.

Hes been the main aim of my DL frustration since Von went down. 

He still has some value.  Move him for a 2nd if someone offers.  

Hes good, not great.  That’s not the type of player we can pay, so why not move him and use his salary elsewhere.  

He should not be in our future plans. 

Just now, Mango said:

I think Tre retires. 

Just what my gut says. He talked a lot about being more than just football during his ACL. Then seemed extra shook by Hamlin’s resuscitation even amongst his peers. Now a concussion to take him out to the season?

I won’t blame the guy. He is my favorite Bill. But I think we could have a hole at CB1.

Would have no problem with this.  

Elam, Benford and Jackson is fine. 

We have to accept that with Allen’s contract kicking in, there will be holes… and im not even that down on those 3 as our CB’s as long as we load up the Offense. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think Tre retires. 

Tre White returned to the game after being tested for a concussion.

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Hes been the main aim of my DL frustration since Von went down. 

He still has some value.  Move him for a 2nd if someone offers.  

Hes good, not great.  That’s not the type of player we can pay, so why not move him and use his salary elsewhere.  

He should not be in our future plans. 

Would have no problem with this.  

Elam, Benford and Jackson is fine. 

We have to accept that with Allen’s contract kicking in, there will be holes… and im not even that down on those 3 as our CB’s as long as we load up the Offense. 

I agree.

I also put some more weight on Allen this year since he signed his extension. Once you sign on the dotted line to be the man, you have lose a lot of opportunity to upgrade your supporting cast with the expectation you carry a heavier load.

This was a cap clearing year for KC. The fact that they hit on all 10 or 11 draft picks will be an issue for the entire league going forward. Cincinnati actually has some benefit in Burrows ACL injury. It allowed them to go out and get Chase.

All that said. We need to protect our QB at this point and put him in a position to hold the ball and put up points. 

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Tre White returned to the game after being tested for a concussion.

Where did you see that? I can’t find it reported anywhere. But found a number of reports that he was knocked out of the game.

Free Agents who can walk: 

Jordan Poyer

Rodger Saffold

Devin Singletary

Jordan Phillips

Case Keenum

Taiwan Jones

Tyler Matakevich

Greg Van Roten

Jake Kumerow

Justin Murray

Tommy Sweeney

Jaquan Johnson

Free Agents we could keep:

Tremaine Edmunds. Can't think of who we could replace him with.

Shaq Lawson. Played very good this season. Would welcome him back.

Jamison Crowder. Injured all year, worth another one year prove it deal.

Ike Boettger. Good depth.

Sam Martin. Unless we look elsewhere for a Punter.

A.J. Klein. Veteran depth and shouldn't cost much.

Bobby Hart & David Quessenberry. Depth.

2 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Edmunds can go learn how to play fast for another team. The guy has had 4 years. Enough. I don’t care how physically talented you are, you still don’t understand what you are seeing out there. It’s year 4. Go get an instinctive, physical stud LB in the draft and make him the face of the D for years to come.

Sadly it's year 5, he just only has flashes, maybe someone puts him on the outside and he takes off.

24 minutes ago, Mango said:

I agree.

I also put some more weight on Allen this year since he signed his extension. Once you sign on the dotted line to be the man, you have lose a lot of opportunity to upgrade your supporting cast with the expectation you carry a heavier load.

This was a cap clearing year for KC. The fact that they hit on all 10 or 11 draft picks will be an issue for the entire league going forward. Cincinnati actually has some benefit in Burrows ACL injury. It allowed them to go out and get Chase.

All that said. We need to protect our QB at this point and put him in a position to hold the ball and put up points. 

Where did you see that? I can’t find it reported anywhere. But found a number of reports that he was knocked out of the game.

I saw him come back in........much to my surprise.........I thought he was out.     It was either him or Ken Irvin. 😉

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.