Rapoport: Greg Roman fired

That's No Moon

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I actually think Roman would be an interesting OC candidate here.

6 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

Don’t want to go back to the past ; ain’t nobody got time for that!  

I’m wondering if he wouldn’t be able to do similarly creative gameplans for Allen that would take advantage of his dual threat capability. I recall Roman’s offense here was run centered, but allowed Taylor a decent amount of deep ball success. 

3 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I'd take him as a run game consultant but that's about it.

The new Joe Brady?

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks
  • Like (+1) 1

Listened to a Ravens insider last week, and Roman was not liked in Baltimore. 

The consensus was he can design an outstanding run game, but never could do much with the pass. He described as a high-school level simplistic. 

DeCosta is the long-time FO member there, so I would expect them to start investing more in pass catchers. 

• Like (+1) 1

some of you guys are funny let me tell you...

He was in the 49ers organization for 4 years Alex Smith/Kaepernick, then he went to Buffalo for 2 years where they get more out of Tyrod Taylor than anyone else. Then he goes to a team where he gets this dude named Lamar Jackson. Roman is stuck with THREE run first (for the most part) QB's and he got the most out of them. 

WHY do people Slam his 10 year as an coach over being STUCK with working on QB's like this? Greg Roman is a Master at the running game and I WOULD LOVE to see what work he could do with a passing QB that by the way, runs well too.

I think calling Roman a running OC only is borderline ignorant. The man is a genius and think he would do better with a Josh Allen.

Consider this. The 2 years he was with Buffalo he designed amazing screens and slant plays... Its what gave Lamar his name. Baltimore HC/GM needed a blame for their game and Roman was it. If Roman worked with a really good passer AND FAILED, I would 100% agree with you guys but sorry I DO NOT.

Roman is a Stud and I am sure even if just for a year, Him working with our current OC would do this team a ton of good.

Just saying...

12 minutes ago, wjag said:

Last year it was the DC, this year the OC..  getting closer to Harbaugh's head on the chopping block..

this. Roman was the fall boy. nothing more, nothing less

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, Chris farley said:

he could be a very good run game coordinator or something.  his running game is on point, passing concepts are simple.

Yep. When they drafted Lamar, the Ratbirds & Roman chose to design a great rushing attack sprinkled with a low dose passing attack. 

It definitely works but the downfall is if you fall behind a couple scores, especially in the 2nd half, you have to abandon that design & throw.

From a distance it does appear the Rats are preparing to move away from that design, maybe even without Lamar.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

he could be a very good run game coordinator or something.  his running game is on point, passing concepts are simple.

They have HAD to be simple... Look at the QB's he has had to deal with. Alex Smith, Kaepernick, Tyrod Taylor and Lamar freaking run first Jackson.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They will regret that unless they are trading Lamar and starting over. Greg will not be short of offers.

Eh, not so sure about that. Roman seems to have like 3 years before his system goes south. I think he is solid but part of the reason they are where they are is because they never really let Lamar grow as qb. They might have the worst receivers in the league and he played in a more complex system in college.

I think you tag Lamar and get a guy who is going to have a more offense and see how he does in that. Lamar with 3 wrs and Andrew’s spreading the field would open a lot for him. 

• Agree 2

Far and away the best run-game coordinator out there. Only 1 season outside of the top 5 in rushing yards (his first season where SF finished 8th). 

God awful in the passing game though. 

Would be interesting to see what he could do with a throwing QB. If Dorsey gets a HC offer I would consider taking a look at Roman.

image.thumb.png.be5219651fbd286cf57cbdb4048a4c5f.png

10 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

That Zimbabwean reporter coming up with the inside scoop I see! Must be friends with Odafe Oweh...

Edited by Big Turk
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Listened to a Ravens insider last week, and Roman was not liked in Baltimore. 

The consensus was he can design an outstanding run game, but never could do much with the pass. He described as a high-school level simplistic. 

DeCosta is the long-time FO member there, so I would expect them to start investing more in pass catchers. 

Would have helped if the Ravens gave him a QB to work with. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

some of you guys are funny let me tell you...

He was in the 49ers organization for 4 years Alex Smith/Kaepernick, then he went to Buffalo for 2 years where they get more out of Tyrod Taylor than anyone else. Then he goes to a team where he gets this dude named Lamar Jackson. Roman is stuck with THREE run first (for the most part) QB's and he got the most out of them. 

WHY do people Slam his 10 year as an coach over being STUCK with working on QB's like this? Greg Roman is a Master at the running game and I WOULD LOVE to see what work he could do with a passing QB that by the way, runs well too.

I think calling Roman a running OC only is borderline ignorant. The man is a genius and think he would do better with a Josh Allen.

Consider this. The 2 years he was with Buffalo he designed amazing screens and slant plays... Its what gave Lamar his name. Baltimore HC/GM needed a blame for their game and Roman was it. If Roman worked with a really good passer AND FAILED, I would 100% agree with you guys but sorry I DO NOT.

Roman is a Stud and I am sure even if just for a year, Him working with our current OC would do this team a ton of good.

Just saying...

this. Roman was the fall boy. nothing more, nothing less

There is some truth here. 

Brian Daboll had low ranking offenses for his NFL tenure (especially in the pass) until Josh Allen and Buffalo. 

When he replaced Dennison, the fear was more of the same run-based offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

Lot of people negatively reacting to the point I said I think Roman could be an interesting candidate here if Dorsey leaves for a HC gig.  I don't really see why, he got a lot out of that offense in Baltimore without having any real receiving weapons to work with.  And he understands how to build a run game to compliment the passing attack and lots of experience with a dual threat QB.  

I see him as someone that can bring some balance to the offense by incorporating more of the run game to support Josh and our air attack.  Not to mention, he made a stud out of Andrews, so I think he would better utilize Knox as a receiving weapon.  

I am not going to stand here and campaign hard for him, I am not even convinced Dorsey wont be here next year.  But I do think Roman would be an interesting candidate if Dorsey wasn't in Buffalo next year.  

• Agree 3

12 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Eh, not so sure about that. Roman seems to have like 3 years before his system goes south. I think he is solid but part of the reason they are where they are is because they never really let Lamar grow as qb. They might have the worst receivers in the league and he played in a more complex system in college.

I think you tag Lamar and get a guy who is going to have a more offense and see how he does in that. Lamar with 3 wrs and Andrew’s spreading the field would open a lot for him. 

Nah. You're wrong. Greg is a good coordinator. He is the best run game coordinator in football and he created a system in which unique players like Lamar and Kap can flourish. Because you are never winning with either dropping them back 40 times to throw from the pocket. 

If I was the Chicago Bears I'd already be on the phone. Want someone to make Justin Fields look legit? Greg Roman is your guy. 

I will come back and own it if I am wrong like I always do but Lamar in a pass heavy spread where it is one passing read or takeoff will not work. He needs a coordinator who can design around what he does and create confusion for the defense with design, formation and movement. That guy is Greg Roman. He is the best in the business at it. 

EDIT: at the same time... I wouldn't hire Greg Roman to coordinate my offense if I had an elite QB. But that only takes out a handful of teams. At least two thirds of the league would benefit from having him

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5
  • Dislike 1

35 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Roman out as OC in Baltimore per Ian Rapoport

I did NOT see this coming.

IMHO they might be pointing a finger at the wrong side of the ball there, although, I guess since they fired Wink last season and he helped take the Giants to the playoffs that might be a hard mistake to admit.

35 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

To me this makes a long-term Lamar deal less likely.

I think it means they know Lamar already has decided to leave, and without Lamar, Roman's offense will fail completely.  I think it means they know they have to move in another direction.  

• Like (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They will regret that unless they are trading Lamar and starting over. Greg will not be short of offers

Lamar decision looms. Entire Ravens O this year was odd.

It was quite interesting that they almost won wildcard without $$$ MVP Lamar. Very interesting.

27 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I actually think Roman would be an interesting OC candidate here.

Here's the thing: I like Greg Roman. His run schemes are really interesting and he can get a lot out of a mobile QB. With our receiving group lacking, I would not be upset at incorporating some of his ideas into our offense.

The problem is that this is a passing league. Even run game stalwarts like me acknowledge we are in a pass first league. 

As a run game coordinator, or someone to bring back designed boots and using a mobile QB like Josh to open the offense back up? Sure. Not as OC

4 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

There is some truth here. 

Brian Daboll had low ranking offenses for his NFL tenure (especially in the pass) until Josh Allen and Buffalo. 

When he replaced Dennison, the fear was more of the same run-based offense. 

yea.. and we know how that turned out..

Just now, Since1981 said:

Lamar decision looms. Entire Ravens O this year was odd.

It was quite interesting that they almost won wildcard without $$$ MVP Lamar. Very interesting.

I predict Lamar to fail his next team, unless its Miami or NYJ because they are complete teams with amazing weapons 

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Lot of people negatively reacting to the point I said I think Roman could be an interesting candidate here if Dorsey leaves for a HC gig.  I don't really see why, he got a lot out of that offense in Baltimore without having any real receiving weapons to work with.  And he understands how to build a run game to compliment the passing attack and lots of experience with a dual threat QB.  

I see him as someone that can bring some balance to the offense by incorporating more of the run game to support Josh and our air attack.  Not to mention, he made a stud out of Andrews, so I think he would better utilize Knox as a receiving weapon.  

I am not going to stand here and campaign hard for him, I am not even convinced Dorsey wont be here next year.  But I do think Roman would be an interesting candidate if Dorsey wasn't in Buffalo next year.  

That's interesting.  My first take was to think you're nuts, but your explanation makes a lot of sense.  Not only in the run game, but in the passing game, as well, because he will bring a different take to the development of the offensive line.   The problem is that the job for the Bills is that the OC also has to be creative in the passing game, and I'm not so sure Roman can fill that part of the job. 

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Nah. You're wrong. Greg is a good coordinator. He is the best run game coordinator in football and he created a system in which unique players like Lamar and Kap can flourish. Because you are never winning with either dropping them back 40 times to throw from the pocket. 

If I was the Chicago Bears I'd already be on the phone. Want someone to make Justin Fields look legit? Greg Roman is your guy. 

Teams don't draft QB's high to indefinitely be running types in run-based offenses.  Perhaps at the outset this is understood, but those teams need their guy to develop into a passing QB who runs less.  Fields is entering year 3 and the top QBs had demonstrated an ability to play from the pocket.  

Roman takes a run first offense and makes it better...sure.  But run-first offenses need to eventually move into, driven by QB play, a solid passing team.  That's the way it's done in the NFL now.  Over an off-season teams learn how to stop guys like Kaepernick and Jackson if they don't become better passers.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.