Rapoport: Greg Roman fired

That's No Moon

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

This Offense has no use for a guy who creates plans for an option QB

Come on bro.

Look at Greg Roman's history.

10 years as a coordinator. 1 year with passing attempts more than 28th in the league.  Sounds like just the guy Josh Allen and Stefon Diggs want.

Roman is an innovative coach who designs schemes to maximize his best players.  His Ravens scheme was brilliant for Lamar Jackson, but with it looking likely that Jackson won't return, that scheme is a non-starter for any other QB. It is absolutely not Roman's fault that Jackson chose not to play against the Bengals, but since Tyler Huntley is a very poor man's version of Jackson, the scheme didn't work when they needed it to.

If I was Baltimore I'd keep Roman and let him come up with something to fit whoever is the QB next year.  If it turns out to be Jackson after all, they're going to regret not having Roman around.  

As for the Bills, I think Roman could probably adapt to do a good job with a Josh-centric offense.  Josh is also a great running QB but he's a much better passer, and the Bills O line is built for pass protection, not running.  So he'd have to adapt, but I think he could do that effectively, and I think Beane would be able to revise the O line to meet his plans.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, FireChans said:

They were just as run heavy as they were everywhere else.

Kaep's first year as the starter. 11th offense in points, 3 in rushing yards, 30 in passing yards.

Even looking at Alex SMith (who sneaky may be the best passer of all the QB's Roman ever worked with).

11th offense in PPG, 8th in rushing yards, 3rd in rushing TD's, 29 in passing yards.

I contend it's the same offense everywhere he goes.  He is a master at taking elite mobile QB's and good RB's and producing points/yards on the ground in a league that's built to pass. I'm not sure he has proven to be able to build any other offense.

See above.

But you don't think that is a product of who is he is working with?  He has managed to maximize guys mostly not seen as good passers.  He has masked their weaknesses and played to their strengths.  

With Josh, he is a lethal passer and a lethal runner.  He has never had someone like him, not to mention, we also have Diggs.  Look at what he got out of Andrews in Balt, imagine him working with Knox too.  

I am not gonna campaign for him, I even had my issues with the offense when he was last here.  But the makeup of this team makes me see him as an intriguing candidate is all I am saying.  

• Like (+1) 1

Roman's scheme is great for a running QB and rushing attack overall, but it is death to any WR for the most part and not very creative in the passing game. It has always been like this even back to his time in SF. The Ravens are making the right move no matter who their QB will be next season. 

1 hour ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

To me this makes a long-term Lamar deal less likely.

Edit: Is he too run heavy to be a Dorsey replacement candidate?

Beane always said when he was going to draft a QB that wasn't system dependent yet Roman seems to thrive with QBs that are less arm talented. If we do lose Dorsey I'd think that next man up be either Joe Brady, Chad Hall or Mike Shula for our OC. 

6 minutes ago, H2o said:

Roman's scheme is great for a running QB and rushing attack overall, but it is death to any WR for the most part and not very creative in the passing game. It has always been like this even back to his time in SF. The Ravens are making the right move no matter who their QB will be next season. 

I'd imagine the Ravens will franchise tag Lamar and keep him for 1 season with a new OC, if he excels with the new OC then he gets a long term deal otherwise he's gone and they find a new QB that meets the new OC style of offense better. 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

To me this makes a long-term Lamar deal less likely.

Edit: Is he too run heavy to be a Dorsey replacement candidate?

I think it makes it more likely honestly. I’m fairly confident both Lamar and Baltimore think they should be evolving beyond Roman’s stuff by now. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Nah. You're wrong. Greg is a good coordinator. He is the best run game coordinator in football and he created a system in which unique players like Lamar and Kap can flourish. Because you are never winning with either dropping them back 40 times to throw from the pocket. 

If I was the Chicago Bears I'd already be on the phone. Want someone to make Justin Fields look legit? Greg Roman is your guy. 

I will come back and own it if I am wrong like I always do but Lamar in a pass heavy spread where it is one passing read or takeoff will not work. He needs a coordinator who can design around what he does and create confusion for the defense with design, formation and movement. That guy is Greg Roman. He is the best in the business at it. 

EDIT: at the same time... I wouldn't hire Greg Roman to coordinate my offense if I had an elite QB. But that only takes out a handful of teams. At least two thirds of the league would benefit from having him

No you’re wrong (oh wait it’s pretty stupid to say someone’s opinion is wrong and yours is gospel). Also, reading comprehension 101, I never once said he was a bad OC. I said his system gets old after a few years.  Teams adjusts and the Ravens with Lamar are stuck in a different generation. It has been system. But now when they have to pay a qb a ton of money, they don’t know if he is the type of guy you can invest in. They surround him with garbage wrs (Sammy Watkins started a playoff game) and have zero creativity in the passing game. 

is Lamar a great passer? Probably not. Allen wasn’t considered a great passer until his 3rd year in an offense that was constantly modifying itself to the current nfl, with a ton of multiple receiver sets. The Ravens still run 4 TE sets. 

so yes Roman can be good for a couple years with the right qb. However, with the best QB he has had, it was getting really stale and the Ravens don’t know for sure if Lamar is the guy. And my opinion is 100% right and yours is wrong. 

• Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, FireChans said:

What is the end goal with that move?  #1 running offense, 25th passing offense and sneak into the Wild Card?

I 100% agree that Greg is the best OC out there for a mobile QB who is limited as a passer.  But at this point, he has never developed a QB into a better passer.  So besides being a means to overcompensating for a less than stellar passing game, I'm not sure he's the guy who is going to develop your young QB into anything more.

The end goal is to try and win football games. 

12 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

But you don't think that is a product of who is he is working with?  He has managed to maximize guys mostly not seen as good passers.  He has masked their weaknesses and played to their strengths.  

With Josh, he is a lethal passer and a lethal runner.  He has never had someone like him, not to mention, we also have Diggs.  Look at what he got out of Andrews in Balt, imagine him working with Knox too.  

I am not gonna campaign for him, I even had my issues with the offense when he was last here.  But the makeup of this team makes me see him as an intriguing candidate is all I am saying.  

Maybe?  It also may be a product of his own ability. For all we know, he sucks at designing a passer attack as much as his QB's have sucked at executing one.

The guy simply has not proven he can do it.  That's all. He runs the same offense everywhere he goes. He takes great runners and crummy passers and runs a run-frist offense. He's never run a pass first offense. He's never even run a balanced offense (compared to his NFL peers.)  What proof do you have he can run this lethal balanced attack with a great QB?

In fact, our only example of a QB who flourished AFTER Roman was Smith and he was in a more balanced system (obviously he had Andy Reid though).

43 minutes ago, FireChans said:

What is the end goal with that move?  #1 running offense, 25th passing offense and sneak into the Wild Card?

I 100% agree that Greg is the best OC out there for a mobile QB who is limited as a passer.  But at this point, he has never developed a QB into a better passer.  So besides being a means to overcompensating for a less than stellar passing game, I'm not sure he's the guy who is going to develop your young QB into anything more.

The year the Ravens went 14-2, they moved up and down the field vs. TN and lost only because of turnovers. They had 530 yards on offense in that game! It was a genuinely fluky loss. They were number one in the league in offense that year too. And Roman OC'd a team that got to three straight NFC championship games and one SB while in SF, where the team's record was 36-11-1. 

9 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

and he was a 57% completion passer in that college 'pro style' offense.

He threw for over 7,000 yards his final 2 years and almost literally threw 0 screen passes. His completion percentage was great considering the offense and personnel he had.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The end goal is to try and win football games. 

Okay. My end goal would be trying to get a franchise QB. 

GRo runs the wrong offense for that (and I have a tremendous respect for him).

If I hire an OC, I want one who is gonna have our young QB chucking it.  I want him to trying to learn and run an NFL caliber offense. Not hiding behind a run scheme that will get its doors blown off in wild card weekend by a real franchise QB.

Josh Allen wouldn't be Josh Allen today if he had GRo instead of Daboll.  We may have won more games in 18-19, but he wouldn't be the same player. Daboll made him go out there with empty backfields and make checks like a true NFL QB.

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The year the Ravens went 14-2, they moved up and down the field vs. TN and lost only because of turnovers. They had 530 yards on offense in that game! It was a genuinely fluky loss. They were number one in the league in offense that year too. And Roman OC'd a team that got to three straight NFC championship games and one SB while in SF, where the team's record was 36-11-1. 

See above. Because now it ends with him fired (again) and a QB who has massive question marks around paying (again.)

Edited by FireChans

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.