Rapoport: Greg Roman fired

That's No Moon

25 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I think they need to make the choice of "Is Justin Fields capable of running an NFL offense?"  If the answer is "we don't know," then you run an NFL offense and see what happens. If the answer is "no," then you dump his ass and draft Bryce Young or whoever.

Skip the entire Roman option entirely. Just a waste of time.

He ran a fairly advanced passing attack at Ohio State at an elite level. Ain't no way this dude went from that to Tyler Huntley overnight.  The problem is he's been harassed fairly frequently. 

This was an article from Oct 21

How Justin Fields is hurt by constant pressure from Bears offensive line - NBC Sports Chicago

According to PFF, Lucas Patrick has allowed 11 pressures in 57 true pass set opportunities (passes excluding play action, screens, short drop backs, plays with fewer than four rushers, and plays where the time-to-throw is under two seconds). That’s ninth most among all guards, but his 19.3% pressure rate is second highest at the position (minimum 50 opps). Sam Mustipher has allowed seven pressures in 69 TPS opportunities. That’s the fifth highest total, and his 10.1% rate is second highest among centers. Braxton Jones has been the worst offender with 17 pressures allowed in 69 TPS opportunities. That total is fourth highest among all tackles, and again, his 24.6% pressure rate is second. Teven Jenkins hasn’t been perfect, surrendering five pressures in 52 TPS opportunities, but he’s well down the list at guard. Larry Borom has been the best, giving up only four pressures in 69 TPS opportunities.

Unsurprisingly, Fields has been a very different quarterback when he’s pressured compared to when he’s kept clean.

Pressured: 33.3% completion rate, 6.9 YPA, 2 TD, 3 INT, 22 sacks, 43.8 passer rating
Clean: 65.8% completion rate, 7.9 YPA, 2 TD, 2 INT, 1 sack, 87.6 passer rating

And then also add in that his best WR this year was Mooney, who went on the IR at some point mid season. Like when they played the Bills they had Claypool, Dante Pettis and Eq. St Brown which is simply not an NFL caliber set of WRs

7 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Kaep was out of the league 3 years later. Lamar went from MVP to pending FA.

You can't sit here in one breath saying that Lamar will struggle outside of Roman's system (when Lamar has already had two pretty mediocre years) and then in the other say that he's a better option than Dak.

If you truly believe that the best they can get out of Lamar is in Greg Roman's system as the 28th or 32nd passing offense, then you cannot think he's more valuable than Dak.

You also said they should trade Lamar and start over at the beginning of the topic!

I'm not about forcing guys to be things they are not. If you recall I criticised the Bills for hiring Dennison because I knew that was gonna mean forcing Tyrod into a scheme he was not designed for. 

Lamar is a really good player in a certain style of offense. So I'd run that offense and if I wasn't going to I wouldn't try and force him into another. I'd trade him. But do I think Lamar at his peak in that scheme can be as good as Dak? Yea, I do. And I like Dak too.

Roman would probably be an excellent head coach somewhere. Install his run scheme and also have an offensive coordinator who has a nice pass game to pair with his stuff. 
Any bottom 10 team or team with a crap quarterback should be ringing his phone off the hook right now. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

As a fan I want to know my team can compete for a SB.  If I was a Ravens fan I wouldnt feel that at all. If they cant then I want them to try improve to someone who can.  Much like KC improved over Alex Smith who they were pretty competitive with but not competitive enough.

MVPs are fun little accolades but do nothing for me as a fan.

Sure... if you get a chance to upgrade you should. But if you can't you keep the offense that is letting you be successful. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm not about forcing guys to be things they are not. If you recall I criticised the Bills for hiring Dennison because I knew that was gonna mean forcing Tyrod into a scheme he was not designed for. 

Lamar is a really good player in a certain style of offense. So I'd run that offense and if I wasn't going to I wouldn't try and force him into another. I'd trade him. But do I think Lamar at his peak in that scheme can be as good as Dak? Yea, I do. And I like Dak too.

Fair enough.  Do you think Fields in that system can be? Because I don't.

Edited by FireChans

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Sure... if you get a chance to upgrade you should. But if you can't you keep the offense that is letting you be successful. 

Well yes, I agree with that. The Ravens arent doing that and I dont think Lamar has grown as a passer so I expect them to be worse next season... if Lamar is even still on the team.

44 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

If he resigned he's got to be fairly confident that he has another gig lined up.

Probably, and it could also be a “mutually agreed upon” and also negotiated parting of the ways. 

2 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Yeah, but Roman has no reason to do that. He gets paid in full if he's fired in contract.

That’s my point, you can negotiate a little safety net. And nobody likes to get fired. So was it fired or resigned? 

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not sure he can either. But if Chicago are wedded to sticking with him then Roman is his best chance. 

I know many discount fate, but ... Ohio State QB becoming Chicago Bears QB is unholy matrimony if I've ever seen it. Maybe the curses nullify each other, but so far the signs aren't great.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Ravens are going to tag Lamar,  and expect to get 2 first +  when some desperate team wants to go after him.   pretty much why they havent extended him.  they wont break the bank,  and want some compensation for losing him.   only thing that makes sense.   smart imo.    that Watson deal has f'd  the QB contracts for the foreseeable future.   no team wants to give that much guaranteed at this time.

Roman out doesnt exactly predict Lamar is gone, sure opens the door though.

Edited by bigduke6

4 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

They have HAD to be simple... Look at the QB's he has had to deal with. Alex Smith, Kaepernick, Tyrod Taylor and Lamar freaking run first Jackson.

This is just conjecture. Bottom line is that he has never had a good passing game and this is a passing league, so anyone hiring him to lead a modern offense would be gambling big time.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Has Roman ever had a top qb in the game though?

kapernick? Tyrod? Lamar?

I believe he was Lamar’s oc his mvp year right? And Lamar isn’t a top 10 thrower of the football. I’d be interested in seeing him actually call plays with a top passer 

Went to the Super Bowl with Kaep. MVP season for Lamar.  Brought some good out of his QB's.

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

The year the Ravens went 14-2, they moved up and down the field vs. TN and lost only because of turnovers. They had 530 yards on offense in that game! It was a genuinely fluky loss. They were number one in the league in offense that year too. And Roman OC'd a team that got to three straight NFC championship games and one SB while in SF, where the team's record was 36-11-1. 

Very fluky. Ravens would’ve beaten the Chiefs, and Rat & Reid would still be ringless. 

6 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I’m wondering if he wouldn’t be able to do similarly creative gameplans for Allen that would take advantage of his dual threat capability. I recall Roman’s offense here was run centered, but allowed Taylor a decent amount of deep ball success. 

The new Joe Brady?

Brady is the Quarterbacks Coach. not a consultant.

1 hour ago, vincec said:

This is just conjecture. Bottom line is that he has never had a good passing game and this is a passing league, so anyone hiring him to lead a modern offense would be gambling big time.

yea... how could he with those QB's... lol.. you expect Lamar to go somewhere and all of the sudden throw the ball all day long and not run first? How do you know what Greg would do or call with a real passing QB.

7 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

To me this makes a long-term Lamar deal less likely.

Edit: Is he too run heavy to be a Dorsey replacement candidate?

I’m on the other side of that. I think it makes a Lamar contract much more likely. I believe Lamar hated Roman’s offense and not having good WRs because none of them wanted to play in it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Brady is the Quarterbacks Coach. not a consultant.

I was more implying OC-in-waiting regardless of title 

38 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I’m on the other side of that. I think it makes a Lamar contract much more likely. I believe Lamar hated Roman’s offense and not having good WRs because none of them wanted to play in it. 

That’s a fair take. Just not sure Lamar has so much sway there. I hope so

though. He’s fun to watch as a Raven and I’d love to see him with better weapons there. 

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks

13 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I was more implying OC-in-waiting regardless of title 

That’s a fair take. Just not sure Lamar has so much sway there. I hope so

though. He’s fun to watch as a Raven and I’d love to see him with better weapons there. 

I am not saying that the Ravens fired Roman so they could keep Lamar, I’m just saying Lamar might be more inclined to sign a long term contract with Baltimore with an OC who emphasizes the passing game rather than the running game. 

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

some of you guys are funny let me tell you...

He was in the 49ers organization for 4 years Alex Smith/Kaepernick, then he went to Buffalo for 2 years where they get more out of Tyrod Taylor than anyone else. Then he goes to a team where he gets this dude named Lamar Jackson. Roman is stuck with THREE run first (for the most part) QB's and he got the most out of them. 

WHY do people Slam his 10 year as an coach over being STUCK with working on QB's like this? Greg Roman is a Master at the running game and I WOULD LOVE to see what work he could do with a passing QB that by the way, runs well too.

I think calling Roman a running OC only is borderline ignorant. The man is a genius and think he would do better with a Josh Allen.

Consider this. The 2 years he was with Buffalo he designed amazing screens and slant plays... Its what gave Lamar his name. Baltimore HC/GM needed a blame for their game and Roman was it. If Roman worked with a really good passer AND FAILED, I would 100% agree with you guys but sorry I DO NOT.

Roman is a Stud and I am sure even if just for a year, Him working with our current OC would do this team a ton of good.

Just saying...

this. Roman was the fall boy. nothing more, nothing less

OH, the POOR guy!  STUCK with working on QB like this!  This narrative is just wrong.  Does Not Fit Timelines.

Let me point something out to you.  Greg Roman took over as OC for Harbaugh in January of 2011.  He was absolutely part of the evaluation and the decision to draft Colin Kaepernick in the 2nd round that spring, and to bench Smith for him and move on/trade Smith.

Greg Roman was hired as OC for Rex Ryan in January of 2015.  He was absolutely part of the evaluation and decision to sign Tyrod Taylor as a FA in March of 2015.

Greg Roman was hired in 2017 as Sr Offensive Assistant/TE coach and then promoted to Assistant HC/TE coach in 2018.  He was absolutely part of and influential in the decision to trade up into the end of the 1st round and draft Lamar Jackson and likely had a handshake promise to become his OC once they moved on from Flacco.

He has not been “STUCK” with working on QBs like this, he has been active and influential in the decision to draft or sign these QBs.  You’re the funny one that you paint it as something he was STUCK with instead of QB he had a strong voice in choosing.

You’re absolutely correct that he’s the master of run game design and along with this very good at the screen game and the quick slants that most people call out as an extension of the run game.  

The design of his passing game is NOT very good.  It just isn’t.  “No” to G-Ro back in Buffalo.

if for no other reason, between Kromer, Butler the DB coach with the title of “passing game coordinator”, Mike Shula the “Senior Offensive Assistant”, and Joe Brady the former OC turned QB coach, the freakin’ offensive brain trust is crowded to the point of concern about “too many cooks” already.

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Didn’t Lamar tweet something which kind of supported that?  

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

So Roman designs an offense that wins the QB a MVP. The team then fails to sign or draft a single decent WR. The TE is good.  The top RB is solid but has missed the better part of two years with injuries.  Roman then runs an offense that is able to stay in the game with the Bengals, only for the backup QB to not run a QB sneak the way it was taught.  The offense ranking drops consistent with the amount of time Lamar misses.

You think Daboll gets a HC job if Allen missed 8 games last year and Bills lost first game of playoffs?  Nope.

Harbaugh is the guy that has failed to evolve.  The Raven's front office thinks it is 1975 with a 300 pound fullback.  Roman is the scapegoat. If he hands the ball to Dobbins and they score and beat the Bengals, he would still have a job.  One play that was run poorly by the backup QB is being used to protect Harbaugh and the FO from their own failures.  

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

So Roman designs an offense that wins the QB a MVP. The team then fails to sign or draft a single decent WR. The TE is good.  The top RB is solid but has missed the better part of two years with injuries.  Roman then runs an offense that is able to stay in the game with the Bengals, only for the backup QB to not run a QB sneak the way it was taught.  The offense ranking drops consistent with the amount of time Lamar misses.

You think Daboll gets a HC job if Allen missed 8 games last year and Bills lost first game of playoffs?  Nope.

Harbaugh is the guy that has failed to evolve.  The Raven's front office thinks it is 1975 with a 300 pound fullback.  Roman is the scapegoat. If he hands the ball to Dobbins and they score and beat the Bengals, he would still have a job.  One play that was run poorly by the backup QB is being used to protect Harbaugh and the FO from their own failures.  

Roman is definitely a scape goat here.  There is no one better to run that offense with Lamar at QB.  I actually think if Lamar played that Bengals game they probably would have won and Im not all that high on Lamar as a passer.

i mentioned this in another thread. if i am the bills i look to hire someone short term for the playoffs.

"hey roman, we will give you $200k/game to help coordinate and consult with us." "hey leftwich, same thing."

roman just played a hell of a game agains the bengals. i can't understand why teams are not cutting the edge on this type of thing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.