Hoping CBS brings better cameras this week

Xwnyer

The last two weeks the main camera CBS used for the game seemed to have minor picture distortion.  When they would switch to camera showing announcers or other cameras picture was perfectly clear.  I am not seeing these issues with other network games so clearly an issue with the CBS camera.   Anyone else noticing this?  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Xwnyer said:

The last two weeks the main camera CBS used for the game seemed to have minor picture distortion.  When they would switch to camera showing announcers or other cameras picture was perfectly clear.  I am not seeing these issues with other network games so clearly an issue with the CBS camera.   Anyone else noticing this?  

I noticed it, too. Same thing with college football games on CBS. 

You ought to be at the stadium! They don't show pertinent replays. When they do, it's 2 minutes after the play.

Also, what happened to the end zone camera showing the tunnel goalposts? We had no idea if the kick was good or not. Had to wait for fan response. 

Bills dropped the ball again.

I just hope they upgrade the Director. It’s extremely frustrating trying to follow the game when the director refuses to show you where the ball is placed. Instead we’re forced to see meaningless shots of a coach chewing his gum, or a player sitting in the bench, or a fan yelling at his seat mates, or the always classic shot of some officials butt while we try for some artsy sideline shot through a hundred legs, or any number of things other than the actual field! And ALL of those alternate angles are shown in the span of ten seconds, between every play! 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5

32 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I just hope they upgrade the Director. It’s extremely frustrating trying to follow the game when the director refuses to show you where the ball is placed. Instead we’re forced to see meaningless shots of a coach chewing his gum vaping, or a player sitting in the bench, or a fan yelling at his seat mates, or the always classic shot of some officials butt while we try for some artsy sideline shot through a hundred legs, or any number of things other than the actual field! And ALL of those alternate angles are shown in the span of ten seconds, between every play! 

... fixed it!  😅

Edited by ChasBB
better remark
  • Haha (+1) 1

I noticed on the NBC game the images seemed much sharper. I don’t know how much of this is due to positioning of cameras in different stadiums, daylight or artificial lighting. Or just better technology. I’m frustrated that I bought a Sony 4k TV* 5 years ago and there’s almost never football in 4k. 
* this stupid TV needs to go through 15 minutes of multiple-try reset procedures half the time just to turn it on.  Ready to put it at the curb. 

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

I just hope they upgrade the Director. It’s extremely frustrating trying to follow the game when the director refuses to show you where the ball is placed. Instead we’re forced to see meaningless shots of a coach chewing his gum, or a player sitting in the bench, or a fan yelling at his seat mates, or the always classic shot of some officials butt while we try for some artsy sideline shot through a hundred legs, or any number of things other than the actual field! And ALL of those alternate angles are shown in the span of ten seconds, between every play! 

On point

• Agree 1

Been for decades, but some colors don't show up right on TV.  Noticed in the 80s but stlll is happening. The yellow in Green Bay's uniform is not as bright as in person, and Minnesota's purple always looks tooo blue no matter what network.

CBS picture quality blows. The last two weeks the pregame shows looked like they were being streamed. Thankfully it improved to its normal weak-ass feed for the game.

First world problems and all, but I get to watch Fox's playoff games in 4K and then settle for ***** CBS bills game feeds. Its a huge disparity. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Fallser said:

I think it has something to do with the 8K crap, something is off with the broadcasts this year. 

These days football is all about weird camera angles, pushing the pile like a rugby scrum, waiting 5 seconds into the play to see if it’ll be blown dead because a coach actually called timeout, waiting 5 seconds after the play clock hits zero to see if they will call delay of game, etc. 

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Cotton Fitzsimmons said:

These days football is all about weird camera angles, pushing the pile like a rugby scrum, waiting 5 seconds into the play to see if it’ll be blown dead because a coach actually called timeout, waiting 5 seconds after the play clock hits zero to see if they will call delay of game, etc. 

Right!  They're slowly getting the broadcasts to the point where it looks just like Madden. Eventually, it will include interactive play calling. 

45 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Not saying this is the cause of the issue being discussed here, but I vaguely recall hearing that Highmark's infrastructure limits the technology that can be applied to broadcasting games from there.  Something about limited space for cabling runs out to the trucks.  Anyone else recall this?

I looked and did not find yet, but I did find this very interesting link with some good details about what is planned to be in place for the new stadium, in general, as well as specifically in regards to media facilities (for those who may understand all this stuff) ...

https://esd.ny.gov/sites/default/files/news-articles/ESD-Bills-Stadium-Analysis-Summary-FINAL-11-1-21.pdf

(from Nov 1, 2021 ... Preliminary Buffalo Bills Stadium Analysis, Empire State Development)

What follows below in italics is an excerpt from the "Broadcast Facilities" section, found inside "Category Four: Media Facilities" heading at the above link provided ...

Broadcast Facilities

Broadcast facilities include spaces for remote game operations controls (scoreboards, video, etc.) as well
as spaces, which would allow for in-house video production. Broadcast Facilities include the following
spaces: Courtside Broadcast cabling, Head End/MATV/Broadcast Cable (cabling termination racks/room
at truck location), possible ENG Room cabling, (Electronic news gathering), Scoreboard/AV Control
Room (includes Scoreboard/Video and Tape library storage) and Interview Room (refer to Press
multipurpose space). These facilities should have their own HVAC system to maintain adequate cooling
and humidity control on a 24-hour basis.

The ENG and MATV Rooms will contain equipment and control operations and should be completely
cross connected via cable tray systems, etc. to TV truck locations, Scoreboard/ Audio Control room and
TV facilities in the bowl. These rooms should be highly sound isolated and ideally have raised computer
floor for maximum cabling flexibility.

It is recommended that the ENG cabling termination and MATV headend equipment be in separate rooms
if possible.

Head End/The Broadcast Cabling ENG Termination Racks/Room is to be located near the TV truck
parking spaces. Essentially, this area will function as a large "junction box". TV truck power will be
located on the exterior wall of this room. Upon University resolution of location, function and size of any
in-arena video scoreboard display production system, coordination between space and adjacencies for
the video production, TV truck and ENG cabling and MATV headend rooms must be finalized.

The ENG Cabling Room is equivalent in function to the Broadcast Cabling area with the exception that it
services local radio and TV station cabling and equipment. As parking for these vehicles is not at the
truck dock, it is not essential that this room be adjacent to the dock, however it should be easy for
broadcasters to access. Cable tie-lines and pathways should be provided between the TV trucks, ENG
room and Scoreboard Video control rooms.

Edited by ChasBB
Clarity

39 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Not saying this is the cause of the issue being discussed here, but I vaguely recall hearing that Highmark's infrastructure limits the technology that can be applied to broadcasting games from there.  Something about limited space for cabling runs out to the trucks.  Anyone else recall this?

They're still using a DSL connection at the stadium.  If anyone tries to make a phone call during the game, its all over.

Terry is cheap!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, fasteddie said:

You ought to be at the stadium! They don't show pertinent replays. When they do, it's 2 minutes after the play.

Also, what happened to the end zone camera showing the tunnel goalposts? We had no idea if the kick was good or not. Had to wait for fan response. 

I can't wait for the new stadium.

3 hours ago, Fallser said:

I think it has something to do with the 8K crap, something is off with the broadcasts this year. 

CBS broadcasts in 1080i so it’s not because of that.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Fox through YouTube TV is worse. About every 10-15 minutes you get a spinning circle that last about 20 seconds and when it comes back it instantly goes to real time - so you often miss a play. It's not my Internet connection, it's a known issue.

I’ve had YouTube TV for years and never had this problem. Could just be your local affiliate. 

28 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I’ve had YouTube TV for years and never had this problem. Could just be your local affiliate. 

Maybe. I've talked with my local friends who also have YouTube TV and we all have the same issue. I didn't think the local affiliate could be the source of the problem though - figured YouTube TV would have it all smoothed out. You could be right though.

6 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

I didn't notice this specifically, but I have noticed that the quality of a live sports broadcast in America seems to vary dramatically based on the cameras involved, and some of them are TERRIBLE.

You would think all the big networks covering big time sports on TV would have more or less identical, really top notch, equipment.

I guess not.

I have noticed that the "HD" aspect of the camera will sometimes simply just disappear when they switch to a handheld camera at field level.

Then they cut back to the main camera mounted somewhere up in the stadium and the HD returns.

It can be terrible at times.

On a related note, TBS/TNT has not been able to televise a live baseball game EVER.  Every time they show early rounds of the playoffs, the audio is all screwed up.  It's been that way for probably 15 years or more.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

they trying to bring the experience of being at the game more than just focusing on the players.

Call me Silly but I actually enjoy it. 

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Fox through YouTube TV is worse. About every 10-15 minutes you get a spinning circle that last about 20 seconds and when it comes back it instantly goes to real time - so you often miss a play. It's not my Internet connection, it's a known issue.

I’ve been streaming tv since it has been a thing. 0 issue with fox and YouTube tv, or Hulu when I used to have that. 

it’s a device, internet connection or router problem 

6 hours ago, fasteddie said:

Just Josh.

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

they trying to bring the experience of being at the game more than just focusing on the players.

Call me Silly but I actually enjoy it. 

I've been to dozens and dozens of games and their constant switching of camera angles is literally nothing like the in-stadium experience....so I guess I'll call you "Silly". 😉

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.