Hyde and Crowder practicing! 21-Day practice windows opened *UPDATE* Hyde out WC and Divisional

Process

40 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

Didn't see this in the thread so far (may have missed it; if so, apologies for repeating):

"Head coach Sean McDermott said both players won't play in Sunday's AFC Wild Card game on Sunday against the Miami Dolphins. However, both players are practicing with the team on Wednesday."

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-designate-s-micah-hyde-wr-jamison-crowder-to-return-from-ir

No that was overt. The hope is that they would be ready for a reboot of the Cinci game or KC if we get the chance 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Tre was mental and a knee.

This is a neck. He may have been doing some cardio work. Not dismissing your point because it is valid. But if he can run and is cleared to play from a neck standpoint, then they can use him. Maybe just not every down of every series like before.

I would argue the neck is even worse.  The number of times a game players snap their heads around to look happens repeatedly and with the neck, with every tackle you're going to have that jarring effect.

We're really never going to know approximately where abouts he is until we see him start to be a full participant in practice.  If he's out of the no-contact jersey next week, that will tell us a lot.

Edited by Billz4ever

17 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

von mentioned on the mcafee pod that it was a 6 month injury which surprised me. So training camp should be full go I guess where I thought it would be like end of next year 

Yeah, I was expecting a return around Thanksgiving this year for Von. If he can make it back by training camp, that’s a huge win.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Billz4ever said:

That's fantastic news.  The million-dollar question is how effective would they be at this point after being out for so long?

I still look at both of them as next season guys.  I'd love to be wrong though.

Hyde would be very effective in my opinion. Crowder on offense might take a few weeks but Hyde is more important so that’s who I care about. We need him to beat Burrows and Mahomes 

1 hour ago, Billz4ever said:

Right.  While I think it's awesome he's made this kind of recovery, people need to pump the breaks a bit and realize this doesn't mean he will play for us in the playoffs.  To go through what he's gone through and come back in the same season maybe unprecedented.  Even if he is able to play, how effective would he be?  We definitely need to temper expectations.

Really great points.( unless he discloses his exact procedure  or releases the op report , I’m not sure how anyone would really know what procedure he had ). He obviously has been cleared by his surgeon to be running out on the field and how do you clear him, even if wearing a non contact jersey, that no one touches him or or he wouldn’t slip or fall.   Hyde & the surgeon must be extremely confident he has completely healed.   

As you stated, seems unprecedented from a time standpoint ( it’s possible he had minimal work needed , the bad disc may have been the only issue, probably only compromising one opening or just herniating  in one direction, and  that probably meant minimal drilling or work to decompress any compromise of ligaments or his spinal cord,  which is fantastic)   I just think if he is on the practice field now, unless he has some setback AFTER contact, they must be expecting him to be able to get game ready.  If you’re not expecting to actually use him , then there’s no justification for him practicing.

This could be a huge lift, back playing in less than 6 months and when needed with Hamlins situation;  must really feel so happy as it could have been a career threatening situation. If Hamlin makes it to the stadium and Hyde is active, what a boost for the team to start the game!  If Hyde plays 1/3-1/2 the snaps, that actually gives the Bills a shot because without him , watching the Pats carve the d up at times, it just seemed like asking them to stop Burrows or Mahomes might finally have been to much, especially with Miller out who was Beanes big move to get further than before.  . With Hyde, they may get one or two more series stops which is putting the ball back in Josh’s hands, and that extra possession or two might be the difference in getting to the Super Bowl. Really is hard to believe this could work out for the Bills. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Nephilim17 said:

He had a very good body of work with the Jets before he came to the BIlls. People are judging him on a very small sample size and will be proven wrong. Hey, I could be wrong, but that's my prediction. Crow tastes damn good when served with a Buffalo win.

He was really good on the Redskins.

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Because it's not arbitrary, there is a rule we're following. The team has 21 days (3 weeks) from first practice, and then they have to make a decision to put him on the active roster or IR him.

The 3 weeks is not medical advice. Its NFL procedure. As far as I know the commentor was saying they'd want to hold Hyde out until the conference round out of an abundance of caution which is an arbitrary line in the sand.

4 hours ago, Billz4ever said:

Being medically cleared to return to practice and actually being in game shape and ready to play in a game are two very different things.  Look at how many weeks Tre was practicing before actually returning.

Every single person on this board is aware of that. You think maybe we could celebrate something good without you deciding to poo poo it almost immediately?

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

No that was overt. The hope is that they would be ready for a reboot of the Cinci game or KC if we get the chance 

If healthy, both are major upgrades.

I wonder if Cole dresses another game outside of Miami. Crowder likely takes over if he is in game shape. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Every single person on this board is aware of that. You think maybe we could celebrate something good without you deciding to poo poo it almost immediately?

Interesting how you want to label being realistic with "poo-pooing" something.

Well here's a clue, that's not what I did and I'm celebrating it too.  If you don't like it, well too bad really.

1 hour ago, BrainwashedBillsFan said:

Hyde would be very effective in my opinion. Crowder on offense might take a few weeks but Hyde is more important so that’s who I care about. We need him to beat Burrows and Mahomes 

It really is the most glaring position of need on defense. Having him back would be tremendous.

• Agree 2

18 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

People are forgetting how this offense was humming when Crowder was healthy. If he is back on the field, we could be looking at some early-season type games. He is a huge upgrade in the slot over the other options. 

6 receptions for 60 yards, 0 TD's  Couldn't find snap counts for him, but don't recall him playing all that much. 

While I agree the offense was humming find it hard to believe it was due to Crowder.

If Crowder comes back wonder if they will they dump Beasley?

Will be interesting to see this Sunday which WR's are active, Brown, or Beasley or both.  Both would likely mean someone else sits though eather at WR or some other position.

• Agree 3

25 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

6 receptions for 60 yards, 0 TD's  Couldn't find snap counts for him, but don't recall him playing all that much. 

While I agree the offense was humming find it hard to believe it was due to Crowder.

Will be interesting to see this Sunday which WR's are active, Brown, or Beasley or both.  Both would likely mean someone else sits though eather at WR or some other position.

According to lineups.com Crowder played 18 snaps(31%], 19(28%, 45(49%}, and 11(17%} in his four games this season. 

59 minutes ago, Beast said:

Why would you even bother letting him practice if it is unlikely he will return? If the Bills stack wins you will see Hyde at some point.

I think/hope he comes back next week. We need all hands on deck against the Bengals. We we're not going to beat the Bengals with a 3rd string safety, no Taron Johnson and Tre at 70-80%. No one expects Tre too be back at 100% this season, but maybe when we meet the Bengals again (3 weeks from last time), Tre will be at 75-85%.

Plus Taron, and hopefully Hyde.

Also can't forget Benford

I feel a lot better today than I did yesterday.

15 minutes ago, Allen2Moulds said:

I think/hope he comes back next week. We need all hands on deck against the Bengals. We we're not going to beat the Bengals with a 3rd string safety, no Taron Johnson and Tre at 70-80%. No one expects Tre too be back at 100% this season, but maybe when we meet the Bengals again (3 weeks from last time), Tre will be at 75-85%.

Plus Taron, and hopefully Hyde.

Also can't forget Benford

I feel a lot better today than I did yesterday.

Taron Johnson played against the Pats, and played well. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I recall Crowder really running good routes and making some key catches (in addition to being really solid as a PR).  But maybe I am dreaming, because I would have assumed that his production was more than 6/60 yards.  😁

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Why would you even bother letting him practice if it is unlikely he will return? If the Bills stack wins you will see Hyde at some point.

I think he’d play in the Super Bowl for sure and maybe the afc championship assuming we make it. 4 months post surgery seems like the point where you get into ‘if it’s a big game he’s healthy enough to play’ territory with a herniated disc.  

that year jj watt pushed it with a herniated disc in his back he came back in two months which is certainly too soon.  

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

6 hours ago, Billz4ever said:

I recall he's been working out, but there's just nothing quite like playing in games.  Make no mistake, I would love to see him back, but I just don't want to be seeing a whole bunch of disappointed folks if he doesn't.

I couldn’t figure out why you are so concerned about people being disappointed - I mean every thread on here is littered with disappointed people, no matter the topic. But then I saw your join date and it began to make sense. Once you’re around here a while, you’ll realize you have no power to temper people’s expectations. Being over the top excited or disappointed is our job here! 🤣

• Haha (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I recall Crowder really running good routes and making some key catches (in addition to being really solid as a PR).  But maybe I am dreaming, because I would have assumed that his production was more than 6/60 yards.  😁

He had key first down catches / on 3rd down against rams and in another game

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

I couldn’t figure out why you are so concerned about people being disappointed - I mean every thread on here is littered with disappointed people, no matter the topic. But then I saw your join date and it began to make sense. Once you’re around here a while, you’ll realize you have no power to temper people’s expectations. Being over the top excited or disappointed is our job here! 🤣

Now it all makes perfect sense 😂

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Beast said:

The real question is how many wins does it take.

Crowder seems like good odds for next week, already in non-contact. Is Hyde a Superbowl or bust choice? can he in the division round?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.