Weather for Wild Card weekend

Just Jack

Supposed to be a potential for heavy snow in parts of NY State next weekend, but initial forecast suggests it will be more of a Nor'Easter up the coast and perhaps effect Central NY as well. Bears watching tho as a more Western track would put us more in the mix for potential for heavier snow. Looks unlikely as of now tho.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Hammer sounded so depressing with no sun for that length of time.  It’s like you guys are living in Alaska fusing the no sun months.

It’s one of the many reasons I’m suggesting the neutral site should be Tampa.  It’s beautiful right now and almost never rains in the winter

months.  It’s likely 75 and sunny with no big winds and an outdoor stadium.

You guys would enjoy the Gasparilla parade the day before where they lift open container for the day and 500,000 people head to Bayshore Blvd.

Besides six of you guys could crash at my place and not have to pay for a hotel.  Lastly, there is not one bad seat in that stadium.

But that’s getting ahead and we need to focus on squishing the fish.  I hope Tua plays so these Fins fans have zero excuses, and we are the superior team!

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Hammer sounded so depressing with no sun for that length of time.  It’s like you guys are living in Alaska fusing the no sun months.

It’s one of the many reasons I’m suggesting the neutral site should be Tampa.  It’s beautiful right now and almost never rains in the winter

You guys would enjoy the Gasparilla parade the day before where they lift open container for the day and 500,000 people head to Bayshore Blvd.

Besides six of you guys could crash at my place and not have to pay for a hotel.  Lastly, there is not one bad seat in that stadium.

But that’s getting ahead and we need to focus on squishing the fish.  I hope Tua plays so these Fins fans have zero excuses, and we are the superior team!

Buffalo is the cloudiest winter city in the US...we have some sort of cloud cover an astounding 96% of the time during winter.  The Great Lakes help stabilize things in the summer where we get more sunshine than anywhere in the Northeast but hurt us in the winter.   Rochester is 2nd at 93% cloud cover and Cleveland 3rd at 91% cloud cover in winter...

On 1/8/2023 at 4:43 PM, Nextmanup said:

My experience is that Weather Channel is not very good.

Keep an eye on local Buffalo newscasts for better info.

Still too far out anyway.

Key being - too far out right now.

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

This probably sounds dumb, but after living in NY my entire life I think that on some psychological level I would miss the gloom 

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Buffalo is the cloudiest winter city in the US...we have some sort of cloud cover an astounding 96% of the time during winter.  The Great Lakes help stabilize things in the summer where we get more sunshine than anywhere in the Northeast but hurt us in the winter.   Rochester is 2nd at 93% cloud cover and Cleveland 3rd at 91% cloud cover in winter...

Turk, I grew up on South Park Ave by RT 179, in the border of Hamburg and Blasdell which means southtowns and tons of snow. I went to St. Francis in Athol Springs brother right by Hoaks.  I didn’t move to FL until going to grad school at USF in Tampa.

I remember the grey days, and it was

most of them in the winter and spring months.  Delivering pizzas from the original Blasdell Pizza, working as a paper boy for the BN when I was 12.

It doesn’t detract from the fact that the area I grew up at this miserable time of year.  It was also about that Bills fans are everywhere in the Tampa area as we have thousands of transplants, and the weather is literally heaven right now.  Atlanta can get miserable at this time of year.  Just sayin.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/8/2023 at 3:43 PM, Nextmanup said:

My experience is that Weather Channel is not very good.

Keep an eye on local Buffalo newscasts for better info.

Still too far out anyway.

Better hope that you don’t see Jim Cantore at the airport this weekend!

13 days and counting since the last time the sun has shown in Buffalo...

2 hours ago, Wacka said:

The lake is at 34 and ice has formed, so the Lake Effect machine has shut down.

Not quite.  It isn't completely frozen over and you can get surprisingly heavy lake effect snows even with just very small amounts of open water. 

Actually based on the latest data, it's well over 90% still open water...probably close to 95%, so it could very well not freeze completely this year.

eri_ice_compare.png

Edited by Big Turk

On 1/10/2023 at 7:58 AM, TheFunPolice said:

This probably sounds dumb, but after living in NY my entire life I think that on some psychological level I would miss the gloom 

I'm convinced that being born in the dark of a Buffalo winter (January) has somehow led to my lifelong seasonal affective disorder.

But you're right, strangely enough, I found the warm winter sunshine in Los Angeles even more depressing than the gloom when I moved there at 18.  You'd be walking to class in that blinding golden sunshine and something would just feel terribly wrong with the world.  Lol.  

On the other hand, it was really nice to play golf this Monday in shorts and a polo.  I guess I've learned to live with it.  🙂

Edited by TheBrownBear
  • Like (+1) 2

On 1/11/2023 at 8:09 AM, TheBrownBear said:

I'm convinced that being born in the dark of a Buffalo winter (January) has somehow led to my lifelong seasonal affective disorder.

But you're right, strangely enough, I found the warm winter sunshine in Los Angeles even more depressing than the gloom when I moved there at 18.  You'd be walking to class in that blinding golden sunshine and something would just feel terribly wrong with the world.  Lol.  

On the other hand, it was really nice to play golf this Monday in shorts and a polo.  I guess I've learned to live with it.  🙂

Where are you at out here Bear? 

I went to high school and college in Rochester. Crazy how much you don't really notice the lack of sun in high school (at least I didn't) compared to when you're on college.

High school you're basically inside all day and then it's dark.

College you have a bunch of free time and can just stare at how cloudy it is.

Something about the structure of the days made it very different. Maybe it's that in high school there was always someone to talk to either in class or I'm the hallway or whatever. College you are alone a lot more even if you have a lot of friends.

Also, if you go right by the lakes it tends to be a lot more sunny iirc.

We used to go to Webster Park in Rochester a lot on Sunday mornings before Bills games to go sledding or walk on the trails/by the lake and it was always sunny and I don't think it was because we'd only go on sunny days.

The warm air comes off the lake and it takes a few miles for it to cool down and turn into clouds.

Anyway, I lived in Boston after college and it was pretty cloudy there too in the winter. Then I moved to Ft Lauderdale and if it was cloudy for two days straight I'd start getting depressed because that's how much sun you get there. Live in Raleigh now and it's pretty much the same...so much sunnier in the winter!

Edited by HardyBoy

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.