Week 17: Bills at Bengals on MNF

Beck Water

8 hours ago, nbbillsfan said:

It’s like the bengals were coached up to disrespect the bills. They think it’ll get in the players heads and take them off their game?

I don’t think it’s that.  They just have the Zac Taylor culture as opposed to the McD culture.  McD sets the character bar much higher.  No way any Bills players would say that, like that.  

But they’re not the Ravens…..

and the Bengals are next. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

We really don't know yet how these two teams match up. They haven't played each other since 9/22/19 (3 years and 3 months ago). At that point, Josh was just starting his second year, no Diggs, McDermott starting year 3. Joe Burrow and Ja'Marr Chase were still in college and it was only Zac Taylor's 3rd game as the Bengals head man. Two totally different teams now.

Not sure how much common opponents matter, as every week in the NFL is different, and teams go through ups and downs (for many reasons). But, for what's it worth, here are the common opponents this year for the Bills and Bengals:

Jets:          Bills lost one (17-20), and won one (20-12).

Bengals won (27-12)

Dolphins: Bills lost one (19-21) and won one (32-29)

Bengals won (27-15)

Steelers:  Bills won (35-3)

Bengals won one (37-30), and lost one (20-23)

Ravens:    Bills won (23-20)

Bengals lost (9-17)

Titans:      Bills won (41-7)

Bengals won (20-16)

Patriots:   Bills won (24-10)

Bengals won (27-24)

Browns:   Bills won (31-23)

Bengals lost one (13-32) and won one (27-10)

Chiefs:     Bills won (24-20)

Bengals won (27-24)

Record vs. Common Opponents: Bengals 7-3

Bills 8-2.

Points for/against vs. Common Opponents: Bengals 234 pts for, 203 pts against

Bills 266 pts for, 165 pts against

So, again, not sure how many conclusions you can draw from that: records are similar, points for differential is 3 points per game (in the Bills favor), and points against is about a 4-point differential per game (again in the Bills favor). 

To be fair, I'll give the QBs a push (with a slight favor to Josh)

I think the Bengals definitely do have an advantage with their WRs against our secondary. I think a huge key to this game will be our defensive line getting pressure on Burrow to hurry throws and routes.

I am not worried about the Bengals run game at all.

And to be honest, I don't know much about their defense. But with Josh, Diggs and co., and the improved run game, the Bills should be able to score (as they have all year). The Bengals' defense is currently 21st in the league versus the pass (the Bills are 14th), and 7th against the run (the Bills are 4th). The Bengals' defense is 9th in the league in opponent's points per game (the Bills are 2nd). The Bengals defense is 29th is sacks (Bills are 11th).

Everything I seem to look at, the Bills appear to have at least a slight edge, so I do expect them to win. But, I also expect a great, close, hard fought game. And I am very interested to finally see how these two teams match up against each other, not on paper, but on the field. It may come down to which team makes the fewest mistakes. Or, if they both play mistake free, then who has that one or two big plays over the other team.

GO BILLS!             

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This is going to be an interesting clash of styles… Mr “buttoned up don’t give any bulletin board material” Sean McDermott and Mr “we are better then you and we are going to tell you about it” Zac Taylor and his staff. 
Players usually copy the coach. McDermott is a big “culture” guy while Taylor is a big “attitude” guy. Can only be one winner. 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat

11 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Okay I’ll just lower my head and walk home.

Everything the Bengals have said are back handed BS compliments.

Read Boyd’s statement again “not the best Bengals have seen”.

You can bake a great pie, but if you put a dog turd in one slice it’s not a compliment.

Same with Mixon, they’re good … but not as a good as the Ravens.

Boyd is writing checks that Chase and Higgins will try and cash.

Same with Joe Mixon. Your own fans were up in arms after your 4-4 start and getting blasted in Cleveland on Halloween. 

You don’t know anything about me, but I can tell you I listen to a boatload of 1530 AM Cincinnati - Mo Eger, Dave Laptham, Dan Hoard, Lance McCalister, let alone all the guys on 1410 who cover Bengals and Browns. 

You come up here on a Bills board and try to educate Bills fans about your team and football. 

Where is your PhD Buck?

The "opposing fan coming in peace to just have intelligent football conversation" invariably devolves into a series of  patronizing "no this is why you're wrong" lectures.  For the life of me I don't understand why fans of other teams visit (or live on) an opponent's board.  Never in my internet life have I ever had even the urge to post on another team's site.  I would always lbe fine without opposing fans posting on this board - trolls, "intelligent football talkers", or otherwise.

It's like if you were at a Bills watch party with all hyped up Bills fans and there's one random guy with an opposing team jersey walking around fansplaining Yada Yada about his team.  Even if you are cordial, read the room - no one wants you here

Edited by stevewin
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 5

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

This is going to be an interesting clash of styles… Mr “buttoned up don’t give any bulletin board material” Sean McDermott and Mr “we are better then you and we are going to tell you about it” Zac Taylor and his staff. 
Players usually copy the coach. McDermott is a big “culture” guy while Taylor is a big “attitude” guy. Can only be one winner. 

I think we fans are making way too much out of this. 

When it's kick off time the players have to execute. Talent and execution usually prevails. Hopefully, the Bills come out with the win. 

5 minutes ago, stevewin said:

The "opposing fan coming in peace to just have intelligent football conversation" invariably devolves into a series of  patronizing "no this is why you're wrong" lectures.  For the life of me I don't understand why fans of other teams visit (or live on) an opponent's board.  Never in my internet life have I ever had even the urge to post on another team's site.  I can always live without opposing fans posting on this board, trolls, "intelligent football talkers", or otherwise.

You are entitled to your opinion. I don't have any urge to visit or post anything on another teams site. However, that doesn't mean others can't, shouldn't, or have the desire too. In fact, I disagree with your whole take. I welcome other fans viewpoints, ideas, knowledge, and differing opinions. Of course, so long as the post is appropriate and respectful. I thought the Bengals fan post was both that. Now agreeing or disagreeing with his take is a whole different issue. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, stevewin said:

The "opposing fan coming in peace to just have intelligent football conversation" invariably devolves into a series of  patronizing "no this is why you're wrong" lectures.  For the life of me I don't understand why fans of other teams visit (or live on) an opponent's board.  Never in my internet life have I ever had even the urge to post on another team's site.  I would always lbe fine without opposing fans posting on this board - trolls, "intelligent football talkers", or otherwise.

It's like if you were at a Bills watch party with all hyped up Bills fans and there's one random guy with an opposing team jersey walking around fansplaining Yada Yada about his team.  Even if you are cordial, read the room - no one wants you here

This. 
The worst is the other team fans who say “we” when talking about the Bills. Why the need for the deception. 

6 hours ago, folz said:

Everything I seem to look at, the Bills appear to have at least a slight edge, so I do expect them to win. But, I also expect a great, close, hard fought game. And I am very interested to finally see how these two teams match up against each other, not on paper, but on the field. It may come down to which team makes the fewest mistakes. Or, if they both play mistake free, then who has that one or two big plays over the other team.

From all I can gather and what I know about the Bills, I would say, objectively, the Bengals are a nightmare matchup for the Bills defense. Burrow's fast release negates our strong DL, and although I trust our LBs to take away the short game, their three excellent receivers will be a problem for the Bills weakened secondary. To be blunt, I don't see how the Bills can stop them.

On offense, I admire their DC's ability to be creative and to adjust on the fly. You don't see those qualities as much as you'd expect. And I'm worried that he will expose the Bills weak line and reliance on Diggs. If I stopped there, I'd say the Bengals win this game pretty easily. 

But there's an X factor: We have a Hulk. The league has never seen a player like Josh Allen. I think he will will this team to victory no matter what the Bengals throw at him. 

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, stevewin said:

GB2010 is a good example here.

He comes on and wishes everyone well, and Bills fans here say the same back to him.

He comes back on Christmas and New Years and the Draft and wishes the team well and we talk about what the Packers need or his reactions to the Draft.

No problems, super nice guy, Bills fans don’t feel like they are better, GB doesn’t have to lay down on the ground while Bills fans talk down to him either. He doesn’t hold Green Bay’s titles over Bills fans head or anything like that. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

9 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

All the talk is just hot air. The Bills currently possess the playoff equivalent of a Wonka Golden Ticket- the #1 overall seed in the AFC. They have what every team covets, and they must fend off all challengers. Simple as that. The opponent can talk all they want - Allen and Co.have to get the job done. 

in this case, the Bengals have exactly as much control to improve their position as the Bills do to maintain theirs.  

3 minutes ago, Chaos said:

in this case, the Bengals have exactly as much control to improve their position as the Bills do to maintain theirs.  

I'm not quite sure what this means.

If we're talking about the #1 seed, Bills win = Bills keep it.

If the Bengals win, and the Chiefs defeat the Broncos, the Bengals become the #2 seed with the same W/L record and the F2F tiebreaker.

The Bengals do not control whether they become the #1 seed, so while they improve if they win, they don't have as much control

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1

I think we have a battle tested, hungry and humble team ready to make their run. Plus, don’t underestimate the benefit of playing in a game without extreme weather. These guys are going to be loose and fast.

Pretty simple game plan - Offense : Diggs, Knox, run the ball, play action, NO TURNOVERS

Defense: Tackle. That’s it. We are going to bend the entire game and make them work down the field. If we don’t tackle, could get ugly. Burrow gets rid of the ball ridiculously quickly. We aren’t going to stop that, but we can limit the YAC.

As for all the pre-game smack talk from Cinci, who cares. I love the fact they have guys running their mouths while our guys just say the right stuff and save it for the field.

GO BILLS

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I'm not quite sure what this means.

If we're talking about the #1 seed, Bills win = Bills keep it.

If the Bengals win, and the Chiefs defeat the Broncos, the Bengals become the #2 seed with the same W/L record and the F2F tiebreaker.

The Bengals do not control whether they become the #1 seed, so while they improve if they win, they don't have as much control

Bengals win and they likely end up second seed with the Bills as third.  Playoffs go through Cincy then. Bills win and Cincy has to go through KC and Buffalo on the road.  Not sure why you don’t understand how a win meaningfully improves the bengals position.  

Edited by Chaos

1 hour ago, finn said:

From all I can gather and what I know about the Bills, I would say, objectively, the Bengals are a nightmare matchup for the Bills defense. Burrow's fast release negates our strong DL, and although I trust our LBs to take away the short game, their three excellent receivers will be a problem for the Bills weakened secondary. To be blunt, I don't see how the Bills can stop them.

On offense, I admire their DC's ability to be creative and to adjust on the fly. You don't see those qualities as much as you'd expect. And I'm worried that he will expose the Bills weak line and reliance on Diggs. If I stopped there, I'd say the Bengals win this game pretty easily. 

But there's an X factor: We have a Hulk. The league has never seen a player like Josh Allen. I think he will will this team to victory no matter what the Bengals throw at him. 

Go watch the first half of the TB game by the bengals.  Cinci didn’t get to TB territory until the 2 minute drill.  It wasn’t anything too flukey like in the NE game. Disguise coverage and drop non coverage players. Also burrow has had a bit of trouble with 8 man coverage. Few ways to stop them. These are all things we have done before with Frazier. I agree it won’t be easy but it’s doable. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Chaos said:

Bengals win and they likely end up second seed with the Bills as third.  Playoffs go through Cincy then. Bills win and Cincy has to go through KC and Buffalo on the road.  Not sure why you don’t understand how a win meaningfully improves the bengals position.  

It obviously does, but the premise of the comment you are disputing is focused on the #1 seed and that is uniquely within the control of the Bills.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

I think we have a battle tested, hungry and humble team ready to make their run. Plus, don’t underestimate the benefit of playing in a game without extreme weather. These guys are going to be loose and fast.

Pretty simple game plan - Offense : Diggs, Knox, run the ball, play action, NO TURNOVERS

Defense: Tackle. That’s it. We are going to bend the entire game and make them work down the field. If we don’t tackle, could get ugly. Burrow gets rid of the ball ridiculously quickly. We aren’t going to stop that, but we can limit the YAC.

As for all the pre-game smack talk from Cinci, who cares. I love the fact they have guys running their mouths while our guys just say the right stuff and save it for the field.

GO BILLS

Besides the Detroit games I couldn’t even tell you the last game that wasn’t effected by weather. 

2 minutes ago, Chaos said:

The talk of 1 seed for Cinci still feels off to me. Maybe McD has gotten to me but take care of your division first. I hear bengals talking about the 1 seed and it sorta gets me excited. Missing the 1 seed is not the end of the world but losing the division would be. I find it interesting that they are more focused on the shiny 1 seed then the more critical division. 

1 hour ago, finn said:

Easy-  Confuse Burrow with a great defensive game plan.  Players making plays on 3rd down.  It’s football.  

NE held them to 22

Cleveland held them to 23 and 13.

Tennessee held them to 20.

Baltimore held them to 17.

Dallas held them to 17

pittsburgh held them to 20

thats 7 of 15 games they’ve been held to 23 or under.  But we can’t stop them?  We can. We just have to have the right game plan and execute it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Easy-  Confuse Burrow with a great defensive game plan.  Players making plays on 3rd down.  It’s football.  

NE held them to 22

Cleveland held them to 23 and 13.

Tennessee held them to 20.

Baltimore held them to 17.

Dallas held them to 17

pittsburgh held them to 20

thats 7 of 15 games they’ve been held to 23 or under.  But we can’t stop them?  We can. We just have to have the right game plan and execute it.

That TB game was crazy too. Can’t believe they are getting so much credit for what was a TB implosion 

• Agree 4

15 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

The talk of 1 seed for Cinci still feels off to me. Maybe McD has gotten to me but take care of your division first. I hear bengals talking about the 1 seed and it sorta gets me excited. Missing the 1 seed is not the end of the world but losing the division would be. I find it interesting that they are more focused on the shiny 1 seed then the more critical division. 

Exactly. If the Ravens win today over the Steelers like they should, the game in Cincinnati next week will decide the AFC North. In terms of the division, it doesn’t matter if the Bengals beat the Bills. Given the fact that KC is very unlikely to lose again, the Bengals have no real path to the #1.  I think the Bengals are trying to motivate themselves to match the Bills intensity because we have a lot more at stake in this game than they do.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

52 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Besides the Detroit games I couldn’t even tell you the last game that wasn’t effected by weather. 

In NWE, perhaps? 

I think an argument could be made that the Detroit games were affected by weather.  The Bills had a very unusual practice week prior to the Sunday game, a very unusual trip to/return home from the game, and then had to turn around and play on a short week.  So while the games themselves weren't affected by weather, the game prep certainly was

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

We need to win this game for nothing else than the talking heads are unbearable right now.  

Driving to the gym and have to hear how the Bills have shown weaknesses that KC and the RED HOT Bengals don’t have.   Bills struggling lately. (No mention of Bengals a fumble away from losing to the Pats or Chiefs going to OT with the Texans).  

We went from being way overhyped to start the season, to the punching bag of contenders.  …and I wouldn’t be homerish if it was deserved.  But it’s not… Bills, Chiefs and Bengals are all winning, all on win streaks, but all showing vulnerabilities and none are dominating.  

This fallacy that we we some juggernaut last year BUT this year we’re struggling. That was literally said this morning by a radio guy.  It’s all so tiresome.  

Go out tomorrow and shut up the talking heads and insecure trash talking Bengals while we’re at it. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

We need to win this game for nothing else than the talking heads are unbearable right now.  

Driving to the gym and have to hear how the Bills have shown weaknesses that KC and the RED HOT Bengals don’t have.   Bills struggling lately. (No mention of Bengals a fumble away from losing to the Pats or Chiefs going to OT with the Texans).  

We went from being way overhyped to start the season, to the punching bag of contenders.  …and I wouldn’t be homerish if it was deserved.  But it’s not… Bills, Chiefs and Bengals are all winning, all on win streaks, but all showing vulnerabilities and none are dominating.  

This fallacy that we we some juggernaut last year BUT this year we’re struggling. That was literally said this morning by a radio guy.  It’s all so tiresome.  

Go out tomorrow and shut up the talking heads and insecure trash talking Bengals while we’re at it. 

Yeah, the Bills are not getting the love for this game.

Most say it will be close, but I have yet to see anyone pick the Bills.

But, if the Bills care about the respect and the number #1 seed,  they let their play on the field do the talking.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Don't know how many articles I've read that all say:

with a Bills loss, setting up trips to Cincinnati and Kansas City in the playoffs

Good chance Bengals could lose following week to Ravens which then would put the Bills back at #2

For the Bengals, the game next week against is much more important than this weeks game.

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I've never seen Sunday NFL shows bring up a Monday night game as much as they have been. 

They all seemed to give the edge to Cinci but not declare a winner 

Boomer eassiason needs chapstick and and HSV1 check. It's a wonder he can even open his mouth after all that action he just gave Cinci. 

17 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

For the Bengals, the game next week against is much more important than this weeks game.

We needed the ravens to win and in. The ravens are in the Bengals head that even in a bye week Joe Mixson can't get the Ravens LBs off his simple mind.

The issue for us is the Ravens are in the playoffs regardless seeding doesn't matter. Harbaugh is like his brother, a loser, so they won't win in the playoffs.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.