“Jimbo” Cook

Rigotz

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

The official Bills instagram referred to James Cook as “Jimbo”

With all due respect to the Jim that lives in our hearts, I kiiiiinda love the nickname.

Are we making Jimbo Cook a thing??

https://www.instagram.com/p/CmkDzjCO8_g/?igshid=MDM4ZDc5MmU=

Allen said on his segment on Kyle Brandt's Basement that when he makes a big play he becomes "Himbo". He was "Himbo" on that TD run... pretty sure Kyle will bring this up when they talk Tuesday (or maybe Wed cause they are on Monday night)

Edited by Big Turk

If that's what the guys call him, then that's what he's called. Same with Rick Bates.

If anyone's still being protective of or precious about the name because it belonged to a quarterback from 30 years ago, I say....lighten up. It's just a word.

Jimbo. Himbo. Late For Dinner. As long as he puts up 99 and a TD per game, I don't care WHAT you call him!

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Jimbo now has (6) 20+ yard runs this year on only 80 carries. That's 1 every 15 attempts. Coming into this week RBs with 6 or more 20+ yard runs averaged  1 anywhere from 19.9 - 30.0+ attempts. He's just shy of beating the next guy by 5 full carries. Also coming into this week 6 20+ runs would've tied for 10th in the league by a RB with K Walker - 150 carries and Etienne - 204 carries. Again Cook doing it on only 80 carries. Imo he's the big play back we've been waiting for.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

1 minute ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Jimbo now has (6) 20+ yard runs this year on only 80 carries. That's 1 every 15 attempts. Coming into this week RBs with 6 or more 20+ yard runs averaged  1 anywhere from 19.9 - 30.0+ attempts. He's just shy of beating the next guy by 5 full carries. Also coming into this week 6 20+ runs would've tied for 10th in the league by a RB with K Walker - 150 carries and Etienne - 204 carries. Again Cook doing it on only 80 carries. Imo he's the big play back we've been waiting for.

They are using him perfectly as a change of pace back to devin

he has been so effective because devyn grinds it out at a methodical pace … then cook comes fresh and looks like a cheetah compared to devyn 

It’s the Thurman to Kenneth Davis effect…not that devin is thurm … but being the complimentary piece to devin keeps cook fresher and the speed difference between the two is hard to adjust to 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

They are using him perfectly as a change of pace back to devin

he has been so effective because devyn grinds it out at a methodical pace … then cook comes fresh and looks like a cheetah compared to devyn 

It’s the Thurman to Kenneth Davis effect…not that devin is thurm … but being the complimentary piece to devin keeps cook fresher and the speed difference between the two is hard to adjust to 

I believe they need to switch roles and imo today it wasn't Devin grinding it out then Cook having success. It was the exact opposite, first Cook had success then Singletary joined in later. Cook had a 24 yard run on the opening td drive. The only rushing yards by a RB on that drive.

We've been waiting for a big play RB for what seems like forever and certainly as long as Josh has been here. We finally have one averaging a 20+ yard run in 5 less attempts than his next closest competition in the NFL, imo he's a major weapon. It's time to use him as such, he's no longer a rookie, he has almost a full season under his belt.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I believe they need to switch roles and imo today it wasn't Devin grinding it out then Cook having success. It was the exact opposite, first Cook had success then Singletary joined in later. Cook had a 24 yard run on the opening td drive. The only rushing yards by a RB on that drive.

We've been waiting for a big play RB for what seems like forever and certainly as long as Josh has been here. We finally have one averaging a 20+ yard run in 5 less attempts than his next closest competition in the NFL, imo he's a major weapon. It's time to use him as such, he's no longer a rookie, he has almost a full season under his belt.

Cook may have gotten the first yards today but the premise is still the same 

The speed and physicality difference from one to the other makes James more deadly throughout a game

And they’re better as a combo than one as a feature… It doesn’t mean you can’t ride a hot hand more

But Devin Singletary absolutely punishes Linebackers and defensive backs in the second level… They don’t like tackling him

And that only makes James better when he has the ball

Because devin has shown the ability to deliver blows to defenders and make them pay … aka last drive of Dolphins @ Bills

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Cook may have gotten the first yards today but the premise is still the same 

The speed and physicality difference from one to the other makes James more deadly throughout a game

And they’re better as a combo than one as a feature… It doesn’t mean you can’t ride a hot hand more

But Devin Singletary absolutely punishes Linebackers and defensive backs in the second level… They don’t like tackling him

And that only makes James better when he has the ball

Because devin has shown the ability to deliver blows to defenders and make them pay … aka last drive of Dolphins @ Bills

I think James would be just fine as the feature back, may even see it next year if Singletary doesn't return. He's got really good speed and quickness.

Singletary is a nice steady back and I mean that as a compliment. But he's been the starter for most of his time here and today was his 3rd 100 yard day in 60 games. That's not NFL starter material, his true position is a #2 RB. We've just never had anyone better or even as good. I think Cook is that guy and the more he's seen the field the more he's shown it. He's averaging nearly 6.0 yards an attempt this year.

6 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I think James would be just fine as the feature back, may even see it next year if Singletary doesn't return. He's got really good speed and quickness.

Singletary is a nice steady back and I mean that as a compliment. But he's been the starter for most of his time here and today was his 3rd 100 yard day in 60 games. That's not NFL starter material, his true position is a #2 RB. We've just never had anyone better or even as good. I think Cook is that guy and the more he's seen the field the more he's shown it. He's averaging nearly 6.0 yards an attempt this year.

That is also a product of this teams play designs his lack of 100 yard games.

21 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I Don’t think you’ll ever see 250 carries from a running back in our offense 

They want to run a two or three back system… And Singleterry is not an all pro but you’re really under rating him … If he had breakaway speed he’d be a legit stud

How many times has he even gotten 20 carries in his career? We go running back by platoon and nobody gets the chance for 20-25 touches 

Cook is a talented runner and has a lot of potential… But motor has been a glue to this offense for years and HAS grinded out games when needed … protects josh … team first … You’ll never hear a peep from him if he gets three carries in the game

He is the quintessential team first NFL player and I’m pretty sure he’ll be re signed even if he becomes the 1B to Cook 1A

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, TBBills said:

That is also a product of this teams play designs his lack of 100 yard games.

To a degree I would say yes, but even at that once every season and a quarter is still really bad. I'm sure we rank last, by a margin, in the league during his 4 years here.

Entering this week he did rank 21st in attempts by a RB, apparently there several starting RBs that get fewer carries than him, I honestly would've never thought that. I would've thought he was somewhere around 30th. I love him, how tough he is, who he is as a player and that he gives max effort, but imo there's no way he should be an NFL starter. Imo he's #2 RB who should be splitting carries 60/40.

24 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

To a degree I would say yes, but even at that once every season and a quarter is still really bad. I'm sure we rank last, by a margin, in the league during his 4 years here.

Entering this week he did rank 21st in attempts by a RB, apparently there several starting RBs that get fewer carries than him, I honestly would've never thought that. I would've thought he was somewhere around 30th. I love him, how tough he is, who he is as a player and that he gives max effort, but imo there's no way he should be an NFL starter. Imo he's #2 RB who should be splitting carries 60/40.

Compare his carries to the top RBs in the league. When you average less than 10 carries a game throughout your career you aren't going to get that many 100 yard games. 

Edited by TBBills

This seems to be the James Cook thread despite some of the weird arguing.

Our boy is averaging 5.3 yards per carry right now.

5.3 and he's 70 carries deep.

Runs fast and angry. He can not smile for the next decade for all I care. This man is a top 10 NFL running back waiting to emerge.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Runs fast and angry. He can not smile for the next decade for all I care. This man is a top 10 NFL running back waiting to emerge.

And Singletary is 4.7 yards per carry in his career on over 600 carries

We have two good running backs… It’s better than having one good running back

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Compare his carries to the top RBs in the league. When you average less than 10 carries a game throughout your career you aren't going to get that many 100 yard games. 

I did compare his carries as I said he ranks 21st in carries by a running back this year. Last year 19th, 2020 he was 22nd and in 2019 he was 29th but didn't play in 4 games so that's going to mess that ranking up. And he doesn't average less than 10 carries a game. He's had stretches were he's gotten a good amount of carries. Just last year he averaged 19 carries a game over the last 4 games.

17 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Those are his numbers before today. He now averages 5.8 yards a carry on 80 carries and averages a 20+ yard run once every 15 carries. Next closest RB averages 1 every 19.9 carries. He's becoming a hell of a runner now he's getting some real opportunities.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/buf/buffalo-bills

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS

I really don’t care what the team names him.  I was just talking to my buddy who is a Bears fan (he grew up in Chicago and yes I was nice to him during the game as I don’t like guys who just can’t help bud rub it into their friends) about nicknames.  He states it kind of just gets assigned to you by you’re friends and if sticks, it’s natural.  My real first name is Dan, and he refers to me as Danno from Hawaii 5 0.  Funny, another bud from the same sports bar just started calling me Book Em, for Book em Danno.  He’s a Fins fan.  I guess it’s a nice sign of friendship and if they want to call him Jimbo, who cares.  I would rather say something like James 5th gear Cook, or Lightning as he really has something g Motor doesn’t.  I like both if their styles, and just compliment each other.

That shudder step of Cook is fantastic.  He has a bright future with us.  We really committed to the short pass and rushing game yesterday which was fine with me.  I think we’ll be ready for Cincy next week.

7 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I'd like a feature back to be able to break a tackle. Something James has yet to show he can do. 

In the preseason, he was referred to as "Baby Cook" so he has come a long way to be a Jimbo/Himbo.  I like what he's doing for the offense. If Josh can heal up and get that long ball mojo back for the playoff run, we can be dangerous on offense and make a run. Next Monday is the biggest regular season game we've played since Josh arrived. We've never been in the drivers seat this late in the season. 

7 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

This is a bit silly, with the Bills pass centric offense nobody getting 100 yard games with any regularity over the past three seasons. 

• Disagree 1

Today he was HIMbo Cook

9 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

This is a bit silly, with the Bills pass centric offense nobody getting 100 yard games with any regularity over the past three seasons. 

Exactly 

And Motor and Cook complement each other very well. Two different styles. Motor might be a must resign 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.